What if one of the Top DEs are there at 10?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Assuming we couldn't trade out, I would take Beasley. He's pretty amazing and even though he's not the best fit, we can make it work. Ayers plays a very similar role and they obviously have a plan for him.

However, we could get a really good deal in a trade with Beasley there. There's absolutely no way he falls to 10 and someone will be willing to trade up for an elite pass rusher.

thehammer

Rookie
Nick Wagoner @nwagoner · Mar 27
For many reasons, don't rule out Rams going for a pass rusher/DE in this year's NFL Draft...

Long is getting old and carries a hefty contract..Odighizuwa and Dupree are late ones IMO

don't see any olineman wothy of that #10 pick except for Scherff..why reach? Also Imagine Wagoner has some inside information...I can see a lde being taken in the 1st 3 rds if they can sign a couple of fa olinemen

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For many reasons, don't rule out Rams going for a pass rusher/DE in this year's NFL Draft...

Long is getting old and carries a hefty contract..Odighizuwa and Dupree are late ones IMO

don't see any olineman wothy of that #10 pick except for Scherff..why reach? Also Imagine Wagoner has some inside information...I can see a lde being taken in the 1st 3 rds if they can sign a couple of fa olinemen

Well the question then becomes if Scherf is gone at 10 along with White and Cooper, who is going to be there at ten for the Rams to take. With many draftniks saying that they only see about 15 guys with a first round grade. Some of the guys left from that 10-15 range wont fit the Rams scheme, pickins will be slim. There really might not be a great pick at 10. If they could trade back then good, but if you were forced to take a guy at 10 with Scherf, the two WRs, the two Qbs, Fowler, Williams all gone then who do you pick. It seems they would be stuck choosing a guy that rated a few notches below where they pick.

Now I understand that Snead and Fisher could have someone rated much higher than the rest of the teams, but so far the guys they drafted have been taken in projected slots. So, I wont venture to assume they have an ace in the hole.

I like Collins and Erving. Both are versatile and are first round talents IMO. If the Rams cannot get the guy they want then either would be a nice consolation prize.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I really do not like a DE at 10 for the Rams this year. There are so many pass-rusher needy teams ahead of the Rams this year that I cannot foresee a great value DE being there. Also a number 10 pick should project as a starter or at least get very significant playing time (unless he is a QB) and I do not see any drafted DE stepping in ahead of Long of Quinn at any point in the season, aside from injury.

Comparing the BPA-DE at 10 to getting Donald at 14 last year does not work for me because I cannot see none of the DEs having an Aaron Donald type value/impact if they are drafted. I loved the Donald pick at the time and like it even more now in hindsight.

If the Rams were going to step out of the box and take a difference maker at a perceived strength then I would rather see the Rams take Todd Gurley at RB in the 10 spot than a DE. RB is not need either but I see Gurley as potentially an elite RB in the NFL.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Last time I looked, Beasley is #2 rated at his position, and Collins is rated #1 at his position. I'll take La'el!

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Last time I looked, Beasley is #2 rated at his position, and Collins is rated #1 at his position. I'll take La'el!

This means absolutely nothing. Kevin White or Amari Cooper are rated #2 at there position depending on who's rankings you look at. Cameron Erving is rated as the #1 Center....are you taking Erving over the two wideouts?

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott

Agree completely. Long is getting old and Rams save 11 million by cutting him next year. Finding a replacement is a bigger need than some people want to admit. As is finding a replacement for Laurinities. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Rams go Dupree/Ray in 1st and then Paul Dawson in 2nd. Wouldn't plug in immediate needs for the 2015 season, but will make the team better post 2015 and beyond.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree completely. Long is getting old and Rams save 11 million by cutting him next year. Finding a replacement is a bigger need than some people want to admit. As is finding a replacement for Laurinities. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Rams go Dupree/Ray in 1st and then Paul Dawson in 2nd. Wouldn't plug in immediate needs for the 2015 season, but will make the team better post 2015 and beyond.

Agree with this 100% and would just like to add, that Chris Long got hurt last year. It's not out of the realm of possibility for that to happen again, and wouldn't it be nice to have an elite talent to step in? That goes true for every position, and that's why you go BPA.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Even if they are clearly the best players on the board?

Not if they aren't. Running backs are way overvalued, and this is a deep class for them. It's a deep class at cornerback, and no defensive back in this class is worth a top twenty pick.

Meanwhile, you have Peat, Collins, and Clemmings sitting right there. I'd snatch up our bookend tackle without any hesitation.

As for defensive end? Leonard Williams is my only choice in the top ten, and he's not falling past three.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
The DE got to be able to set the edge and be able to not allow teams to run over him. Most DEs ranked in top 10 do not fit true 4-3 DEs. And the ones that do will be gone by 10th pick. JMHO

EDIT: I think Bud Dupree can be a 4-3 DE and worth the 10th pick

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This means absolutely nothing. Kevin White or Amari Cooper are rated #2 at there position depending on who's rankings you look at. Cameron Erving is rated as the #1 Center....are you taking Erving over the two wideouts?
Not over the two WR's, But I would take the #1 OG over the #2 OLB any day. The interior O-Line is more important than a LB that will only see about 1/3 of the plays!

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Not over the two WR's, But I would take the #1 OG over the #2 OLB any day. The interior O-Line is more important than a LB that will only see about 1/3 of the plays!

We wouldn't be drafting Beasley to play LB.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
We wouldn't be drafting Beasley to play LB.

That's all he is in any system. No way he can keep his hand on the ground. Hell of a pass-rusher, but I wouldn't take a linebacker at ten unless his last name is Kuechly.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I kinda laugh when draft guru's discount the value of offensive linemen...including guards. Football is still won in the trenches run blocking and pass blocking. Pass rushing and run stuffing. We have an awful lot of pieces and time spent on developing these pieces and you draft a body hoping for more.... especially when your in a position to draft one of the two best at they're position coming out....both may be as good and make as much of an impact as recent 1st round guards Iupati Long and Martin. I am not saying the rams are going there but a little more respect for the position and needs of the unit should be considered....and don't forget the Rams were trying real hard to trade back into the first round last year to draft the best guard in the 2014 draft....willing to mortgage future picks in the process. ...lol there I said it....again just my opinion.

Go Rams......... ;)

I don't think anyone questions the value of the position at all. The debate is the value of the selection of which they are selected as opposed to other positions.

I was listening to Gil Brandt on Sirius NFL Radio just last night talk about how finding quality pass rushers are much harder to find than OLinemen who can be had later. He even went on naming former college defensive lineman who were converted into quality NFL OLinemen with the most recent being the Seahawks former 7th rounder J.R. Sweezy.

BTW, while the Rams tried to trade back into round one to select Martin, let's also not forget that they could have simply selected him instead of Donald in the first place. Wonder why they didn't with Brocker and Langford set at DT and a hole on the OLine? Value.

Also, regarding Iupati, Long, and Martin. Not one of them were top ten selections. Not even top 15 selections. And each had a comparable talent selected after them.

In fact, the last interior OLinemen selected in the top 10 were Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack in 2013. I don't recall there being higher rated OGs in years. Today one is approaching bust status (Cooper) and the other took 1 1/2 seasons to shake his potential bust status. And prior to them, the last interior lineman selected that high was Chris Naeole way back in 1997.....and he disappointed in just being an average to above average player and not elite.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If Rams are drafting him, you're assuming he can eventually be your starting DE.
That's why I specified LDE, because Robert Quinn isn't going anywhere, and the Bee's is too small to play LDE, we'd get killed vs. the run, don't you think?

Memphis Ram

Legend
That's all he is in any system. No way he can keep his hand on the ground. Hell of a pass-rusher, but I wouldn't take a linebacker at ten unless his last name is Kuechly.

That's what they said about Leonard Little and Jason Taylor.