What if one of the Top DEs are there at 10?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I know the Rams don't need a Defensive End in 2015, but Say you have a top 9 of...

1. Tampa Bay - Jameis Winston
2. Tennessee - Leonard Williams
3. Jacksonville - Dante Fowler Jr
4. Oakland - Amari Cooper
5. Washington - Danny Shelton
6. New York - Marcus Mariota
7. Chicago - Kevin White
8. Atlanta - Devante Parker
9. New York - Brandon Scherff

Who do you take for the Rams? Assuming that they wouldn't be able to trade down. The top 5 players on the big board IMO would be...

1. Vic Beasley
2. Todd Gurley
3. La'el Collins

Do you take an elite pass rusher and find ways to use him in our system, do you snag a potential elite RB or do you just go ahead and grab the guy who's going to fill the biggest need even if he's rated say a 8.5/10 when the other guys could be rated 9+/10

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'd lean to towards La'el Collins and think hard about Trae Waynes. I'm warming up to the thought of TJ Clemmings because it looks like he can fire off and move people in the run game. I just watched Clemmings vs Va Tech and he can really move for a man of his size. I'm starting to see what the Draft Gurus are talking about with him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I know the Rams don't need a Defensive End in 2015, but Say you have a top 9 of...

1. Tampa Bay - Jameis Winston
2. Tennessee - Leonard Williams
3. Jacksonville - Dante Fowler Jr
4. Oakland - Amari Cooper
5. Washington - Danny Shelton
6. New York - Marcus Mariota
7. Chicago - Kevin White
8. Atlanta - Devante Parker
9. New York - Brandon Scherff

Who do you take for the Rams? Assuming that they wouldn't be able to trade down. The top 5 players on the big board IMO would be...

1. Vic Beasley
2. Todd Gurley
3. La'el Collins

Do you take an elite pass rusher and find ways to use him in our system, do you snag a potential elite RB or do you just go ahead and grab the guy who's going to fill the biggest need even if he's rated say a 8.5/10 when the other guys could be rated 9+/10

Beasley vs. Gurley? Honestly, I'd have to flip a coin as I love both.

I really like Collins, but he wouldn't even be a consideration at #10 for me. IMO, if a team selects a guard that high he should be compared to guys like Steve Hutchinson, Larry Allen, or Alan Faneca. You know an elite talent. But, I don't believe that one good guard makes that much of a difference to an offense as opposed to a merely above average one.

BTW, I have my doubts that Washington selects Shelton after signing free agent Terrance Knighton to play NG. In fact, unless he goes higher, I think Beasley is headed to DC to replace Orakpo. And I doubt the Falcons would take a WR on him when he's the perfect LEO for their new head coach.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Snead & Fisher have the best young RB cadre units that we have seen in over a decade maybe several decades..with Mason/Cunningham/Stacy/Watts & Pead. RB Gurley who seems to have issues on one thing or another is one big Luxury unit.

Vic Beasley will play a position in the NFL that Gregg Williams does not utilize. Vic projects strongly as 3-4 outside linebacker. If Vic is there @ #10 you van bet some of those late first round teams (New England/Saints/Denver/Packers/Raven & the Cards )who play mostly 34 defenses will trade for Vic. Bet on that!

Gregg just recently traded away two 2015 draft picks for a player who benched SSLB Dunbar. Plus Gregg just signed & added a very nice young talented SSLB'er named Akeem Ayers for several seasons. Rams other starting OSLB'er Ogletree (former #1 pick) is poised to have a breakout 2015 season after learning Gregg new defense last season. Throw in that the Rams still have JL/Bates & Dunbar under contract.

Rams OL loss three veteran starters & their top reserve OL here in 2015. This Ram OL was one of the worse OL's in the NFL last season & it has not added but one OT who has been a reserve. So basically this OL is still in a coma & on Life Support. OT/OG La'el Collins would replace Davin Joseph & would be an instant plug in starter @ OLG thus permitting Saffold to move back to the right OG next to Barksdale to help prop him up.

Last edited:

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Even if they are clearly the best players on the board?
There comes a point where position out ranks bpa, you wouldnt see the colts draft a qb at 10 because they already have one. The rams have 5 first rounders on the dl there are many other needs to fill. Running back is in a similar situation with no need.

Memphis Ram

Legend
There comes a point where position out ranks bpa, you wouldnt see the colts draft a qb at 10 because they already have one. The rams have 5 first rounders on the dl there are many other needs to fill. Running back is in a similar situation with no need.

Teams don't typically rotate QBs. Besides team needs can change yearly and banking on rookie to fill immediate needs isn't the best idea.

Gurley could be to Mason, Cunningham, and Stacy what Aaron Donald was to Brockers & Langford.

Same goes for Beasley. He could be the next Von Miller.

If the Rams feel the same way, I would be sick if they passed on a superior talent in an attempt to fill a need.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I dont agree, when you are stacked at one position and lacking in another. Its irresponsible to draft a player to strong group that would not help as much as the needed player.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I kinda laugh when draft guru's discount the value of offensive linemen...including guards. Football is still won in the trenches run blocking and pass blocking. Pass rushing and run stuffing. We have an awful lot of pieces and time spent on developing these pieces and you draft a body hoping for more.... especially when your in a position to draft one of the two best at they're position coming out....both may be as good and make as much of an impact as recent 1st round guards Iupati Long and Martin. I am not saying the rams are going there but a little more respect for the position and needs of the unit should be considered....and don't forget the Rams were trying real hard to trade back into the first round last year to draft the best guard in the 2014 draft....willing to mortgage future picks in the process. ...lol there I said it....again just my opinion.

Go Rams......... ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the world of Beasley but I'm just not sure where he'd fit in for us. I think we'd be smart to use him as a trade chip. But drafting him would certainly be enticing.

However, the odds of him being there at #10 are extremely low imo.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the world of Beasley but I'm just not sure where he'd fit in for us. I think we'd be smart to use him as a trade chip. But drafting him would certainly be enticing.

However, the odds of him being there at #10 are extremely low imo.

I'm right there with you on Beasley, love him. Could he add 10-15 pounds and sustain the quickness off the edge? Wonder what Leonard Little weighed in st coming out, and wasn't Von Miller's measurables around the same? Wasn't he drafted into a 4-3? I saw Beasley's spin move versus one opponent and my jaw nearly hit the floor. Would just be hard not to try and find a place for him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm right there with you on Beasley, love him. Could he add 10-15 pounds and sustain the quickness off the edge? Wonder what Leonard Little weighed in st coming out, and wasn't Von Miller's measurables around the same? Wasn't he drafted into a 4-3? I saw Beasley's spin move versus one opponent and my jaw nearly hit the floor. Would just be hard not to try and find a place for him.

Yea but Miller plays a bit of a hybrid OLB/DE role where he plays 4-3 OLB on rushing downs then drops down to DE on passing downs. Williams would definitely be capable of doing the same thing with Beasley...but the question for me is if it's necessary enough for us to pass on a trade.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I kinda laugh when draft guru's discount the value of offensive linemen...including guards. Football is still won in the trenches run blocking and pass blocking. Pass rushing and run stuffing. We have an awful lot of pieces and time spent on developing these pieces and you draft a body hoping for more.... especially when your in a position to draft one of the two best at they're position coming out....both may be as good and make as much of an impact as recent 1st round guards Iupati Long and Martin. I am not saying the rams are going there but a little more respect for the position and needs of the unit should be considered....and don't forget the Rams were trying real hard to trade back into the first round last year to draft the best guard in the 2014 draft....willing to mortgage future picks in the process. ...lol there I said it....again just my opinion.

Go Rams......... ;)

Preach

To answer the op I would take the best OL on my board, assuming Collins.

Last edited:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Bud Dupree is the same size as Robert Quinn... He deserves to be in the discussion w/ the 10th pick imho

from the rams huddle:

March 30, 2015 at 1:30 pm#21777REPLY | QUOTE

PressureD41
Participant
I too like C. Long but his cap number is 14,250,000. Age and wear and tear It would be wise from a business stand point to redo his contract or make a tough decision and cut him. He will be 31 next season entering year 8 w/ us..

CURRENT CONTRACT

Chris Long signed a 4 year, $48,200,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $6,050,000 signing bonus, $23,550,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,050,000. In 2015, Long will earn a base salary of $7,000,000 and a roster bonus of $3,000,000. Long has a cap hit of $12,500,000 while his dead money value is $8,000,000.

CONTRACT:4 yr(s) / $48,200,000 SIGNING BONUS$6,050,000 AVERAGE SALARY$12,050,000 GUARANTEED:$23,550,000 FREE AGENT:2017 / UFA
Year Base Salary Roster Bonus Option Bonus Restruc. Bonus Misc. Cap Hit Dead Cap
2012 Contract details by year $10,310,000 – $4,500,000 $6,050,000 $-1,852,500 $19,007,500 –
2013 Contract details by year $7,050,000 – – $1,500,000 – $8,550,000 $13,250,000
2014 Contract details by year $10,200,000 $200,000 – $2,500,000 – $12,900,000 $17,900,000
2015 Contract details by year $7,000,000 $3,000,000 – $2,500,000 – $12,500,000 $8,000,000
2016 Contract details by year $9,750,000 $2,000,000 – $2,500,000 – $14,250,000 $2,500,000
2017 Free Agent Year UFA
Contract Notes:
$36.76 million guaranteed (Signing Bonus: + 2012-13 salaries)
2015-16 Roster Bonus: $2 million
2013 Restructure Bonus: $6 million
2014 Roster Bonus: $200,000
2014 Restructure: $3M/3 years
Sources: NFL contract specifics generally collected from the NFLPA, Rotoworld, & OTC.

March 30, 2015 at 1:39 pm#21778REPLY | QUOTE

zn
PressureD41 wrote:
I too like C. Long but his cap number is 14,250,000. Age and wear and tear It would be wise from a business stand point to redo his contract or make a tough decision and cut him. He will be 31 next season entering year 8 w/ us..

His current cap hit is 12.5 M. http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/st-louis-rams/

He had his contract finagled a few times to create a bit of cap space, and you may have old numbers.

He goes to 14.25 M in 2016. That may mean he is gone after 2016. It MIGHT mean he is gone after 2015. If he is gone after 2015, it represents a 11.7+ cap savings. I suppose they balance that with how much he contributes. I would not bet on it either way right now, myself. (That is right now it seems just as possible that they will keep him in 2016 as it is that they will cut him after 2015).

And of course they still could take a DE this draft even if he is still with them in 2016.

Another factor? Hayes’s contract is done after this year. He has been injured several times, if that is a consideration.

March 30, 2015 at 1:43 pm#21779REPLY | QUOTE

PressureD41
Participant
There is good depth for OL this draft. Dupree has that extreme quick 1st step like R. Quinn and is currently at 270 lbs

March 30, 2015 at 1:46 pm#21780REPLY | QUOTE

PressureD41
Participant
Sims and Haynes age and contract is coming up, so I did have that in the back of my mind.

Bud Dupree
OLBSenior6-4, 269 lbsKentucky
Scouts Grade86
Position Rank6
Overall Rank41
40-YD Dash4.56
ConferenceSEC
2014 NCAA Football Stats
Tackles Sacks INT
74 7.5 1
ProfileNFL CombineConversation
Overall Football Traits
Production 1 2011: (12/3)- 21-2.5-2.5 2012: (12/12)- 91-12.5-6.5 2013: (11/11)- 61-9.5-7 2014: (12/10) – 74-12.5-7.5 Career: 4 FF, 5 PBU, 1 INT, 2 BK

Height-Weight-Speed 2.. Prototypical height and weight for a 3-4 OLB prospect. Has a good bubble and thickness throughout his lower body. Has excellent straight-line speed for his size. Arm length (32 5/8 inches) is slightly above-average and hand-span (9 3/4 inches) is on par. Explosive leaping ability: 42-inch vertical jump and 11 foot 6 inch broad jump at combine.
Durability 2 Has played in 37 career games including 36 starts. Left the South Carolina game in 2013 with a strained pectoral muscle and did not play the following week versus Alabama. Missed part of the Florida game in 2014 while dealing with cramps. Dealt with some minor injuries throughout the 2014 season but did not miss any playing time. Tweaked a hamstring during combine workout.

Intangibles 1…. Nickname is Bud. Has outstanding personal and football character. Is involved in FCA and is a good decision-maker off the field. Takes football seriously but is a well-rounded, well-liked person with no off-the-field incidents. A self-motivator. The son of Sophia Stephens and Alvin Dupree Sr. Is a community and leadership development major.
1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL
Outside Linebacker Specific Traits
Instincts/Recognition 2 Works hard in tape room and transfers it to the field. Picks up on player tendencies. Has the ability to play multiple positions and shows good natural football instincts. Reads his keys and shows solid discipline from the backside. Shows good ball recognition versus the run. Has above-average awareness in zone coverage, especially for comparatively limited reps.
Take-on Skills 3 Has adequate strength to set the edge but it’s not the strong point of his game. Flashes explosive pop at times but needs to play with more violence and with more consistency at the point of attack. Needs to continue to develop as a hand fighter and has trouble anchoring when bigger OTs get into his frame. Shows discipline with outside contain and has athleticism to disrupt the backfield. Also makes more plays in backside pursuit than most DE/OLB types do.
Range vs. Run 1…. Very good athlete with outstanding top-end speed. Holds up well in space and shows easy change-of-direction skills. Gives consistent effort chasing in pursuit.

Tackling 2…. Reliable overall tackler. Flashes explosive snap but lacks consistent knock-back power. Has impressive body control and ability to break down in space for his size. Still will get into trouble when he comes in too hot in outside pursuit at times. Does good job of wrapping up and driving legs through contact.

3rd Down Capabilities 2…. Offers excellent scheme versatility because of his ability to rush the quarterback and drop into coverage. Has good get-off quickness and very quick hands to keep OTs’ hands off his pads. Has excellent redirect skills and closing burst. Shows ability to dip and bend turning the edge and flashes a quick closing burst once gaining the corner. Still needs polish as a pass-rusher. Seems to lack a game plan at times. Needs to refine pass-rush moves. Also must learn to use hands better and maintain better pad level when converting speed-to-power.
Is surprisingly athletic and fluid in coverage for his size. Consistently shows ability to turn and run with TEs in one-on-one situations. Has good range in zone coverage and looks comfortable in space.
1 = EXCEPTIONAL…2 = ABOVE AVERAGE..3 = AVERAGE..4 = BELOW AVERAGE..5 = MARGINAL

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea but Miller plays a bit of a hybrid OLB/DE role where he plays 4-3 OLB on rushing downs then drops down to DE on passing downs. Williams would definitely be capable of doing the same thing with Beasley...but the question for me is if it's necessary enough for us to pass on a trade.

Well I was asking if the Rams were there and they couldn't trade down. But after thinking about it, if Beasley is still on the board, I would imagine the Rams would be fielding a lot of calls for that spot.