What if Davis repeats his performance?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
So lets just say hypothetically Davis goes out and has a great game again. Is Hill still the starter or does Fisher backtrack away from that commitment?

I know guys shouldn't lose the starting job to an injury but on the other hand playing well and doing your job should have it's rewards.

Fisher doesn't want a QB controversy but if Davis plays well again he's got one regardless IMO.

Then again if Davis lays an egg I guess it will all be resolved on it's own.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
At that point even though he said Hill is the man he has to stay with Hill. If not he risks angering players and he doesn't seem to be the kinda guy who does that.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Still a small sample size but a repeat performance here will cement his ability to be a capable backup QB. I wanna see how he manages against SF on Monday Night before stating that he's more than a solid backup.

RamzFanz

Damnit
So lets just say hypothetically Davis goes out and has a great game again. Is Hill still the starter or does Fisher backtrack away from that commitment?

I know guys shouldn't lose the starting job to an injury but on the other hand playing well and doing your job should have it's rewards.

Fisher doesn't want a QB controversy but if Davis plays well again he's got one regardless IMO.

Then again if Davis lays an egg I guess it will all be resolved on it's own.

I think Hill would have won in Tampa, and by more. He can do everything Davis can and more. Hill will go deep, anticipates open receivers, reads defenses, doesn't take those sacks that Davis takes.

I'm all for Davis doing great, but that doesn't mean Hill wouldn't have done better.

I expect Hill will be the starter as soon as he is healthy. That doesn't mean they won't change their minds in a heartbeat if Hill doesn't play up to standards.

Philly5

Rookie
I hope Fisher goes with the QB that gives us the best chance to win when the schedule toughens up post bye. IMO that is Hill. Can't put too much emphasis into decent performances against lousy defenses like the Bucs and Cowboys. Davis even making the roster was a long shot given his abilities.

Last season 2 QBs (Manning and Newton) completed over 75% of passes for over 8 yards per attempt in back to back games. If he repeats statistically it would be almost impossible to drop him surely?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Last season 2 QBs (Manning and Newton) completed over 75% of passes for over 8 yards per attempt in back to back games. If he repeats statistically it would be almost impossible to drop him surely?

...but it was Tampa Bay and they let the Falcons score 6,957 points so I'm not sure those stats will influence anyone. A HUGE game this week could raise some eyebrows though I guess.

PeteMD

UDFA
cfph.gif

poppin1.gif

gddy.gif

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If Davis plays well again, he could still go back to Hill and it would be alright. But, if Hill struggles sometime after that, he would be doing the right thing by letting Davis start again later on.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Hill would have won in Tampa, and by more. He can do everything Davis can and more. Hill will go deep, anticipates open receivers, reads defenses, doesn't take those sacks that Davis takes.

I'm all for Davis doing great, but that doesn't mean Hill wouldn't have done better.

I expect Hill will be the starter as soon as he is healthy. That doesn't mean they won't change their minds in a heartbeat if Hill doesn't play up to standards.

I agree on Hill. I do think he is the better of the two at this point . Down side is he is at his ceiling. I can see a benefit to starting the young guy if he plays well enough to win just because of his future potential.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle

This. Exactly.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I would like to see Davis or Keenum play out the year. We need to know what we have at QB next year and if Davis or Keenum are potential solutions. Unless Fisher thinks he is competing for a SB with Hill, I don't see the point in playing Hill. Hill was brought here to fill in if Bradford was going to miss a few games due to injury. Things have changed and I think the coaching staff and FO to maybe change the plan. Playing Hill the rest of the year does not bring us any closer to having a solution at QB or a sample size big enough to determine if Davis or Keenum may have a future. The only way to figure it out is to let them play, so play the kids and see what we have. Playing Hill does not answer any questions IMO.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree on Hill. I do think he is the better of the two at this point . Down side is he is at his ceiling. I can see a benefit to starting the young guy if he plays well enough to win just because of his future potential.

Yep. I said the same thing last season. We knew the season was blown, why not at LEAST see what we had. But they didn't then they dropped him.

I'm glad he's probably starting this Sunday so we can really evaluate him. He WILL have to get us TDs for the Rams to win. 4-5 would be nice!

I'm not signing off on this being Hill's ceiling. Hes 34, but he has very little wear on his tires. Has he ever really had a shot to prove what he could do with a decent team? Just like I wanted to see Davis, I want to see hill in some full games too. I think he might be better than expected.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
Fisher himself said the difference between good and great is snaps. So to me Davis is good he needs the snaps to see if he can be great.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I thought Hill looked decent most of the first half even though the rest of the team (minus Quick) wasn't helping much.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If Davis repeats his performance this Sunday...

I anticipate seeing a thread (or 2) about how weak his arm is.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
You ride the hot hand. Honestly what has hill done to be entitled anyway? It's not as if we're talking Bradford here.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would like to see Davis or Keenum play out the year. We need to know what we have at QB next year and if Davis or Keenum are potential solutions. Unless Fisher thinks he is competing for a SB with Hill, I don't see the point in playing Hill. Hill was brought here to fill in if Bradford was going to miss a few games due to injury. Things have changed and I think the coaching staff and FO to maybe change the plan. Playing Hill the rest of the year does not bring us any closer to having a solution at QB or a sample size big enough to determine if Davis or Keenum may have a future. The only way to figure it out is to let them play, so play the kids and see what we have. Playing Hill does not answer any questions IMO.
Fisher will play whichever QB he thinks gives best chance to win that week. If he thinks its Hill, then Hill it will be. Game at a time...

RamzFanz

Damnit
You ride the hot hand. Honestly what has hill done to be entitled anyway? It's not as if we're talking Bradford here.

Last time he was a starter he ranked 12th in the league?

We don't have a sample size on either QB playing for the Rams, but Hill has a lot of qualities you want.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Wail, Davis has been getting better with every game dating back to preseason. If he continues to show improvement then I think it makes it that much harder of a choice.