What happen to using the TE?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
During OTA and training camp there were a lot of talk about the use of the TEs this year where is it? They are not throwing to the TE anymore than last year. Best way to help out a QB is using the TE.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Keenum is not tall enough to see over the line to hit these guys in the middle of the field, Nor does he have the arm strength to spin it into the tight windows you have to throw into to hit these guys down the seam without getting picked off.

fearsomefour

Legend
Keenum is not tall enough to see over the line to hit these guys in the middle of the field, Nor does he have the arm strength to spin it into the tight windows you have to throw into to hit these guys down the seam without getting picked off.
So you are saying he doesn't have the arm strength to throw the ball 20 to 30 yards on a line?
Not buying that.
When the Rams had a QB with a big arm with Bradford and a good arm with Foles they didn't attack the seem with TEs much. Doesn't seem to be apart of the offense really.
Too bad because it seems a natural when the S are creeping into the box.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Kendricks has been targeted 13 times in the first three games against TB he had 2 drops. Higbee is still learning and doesn't look all that great to me.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
So you are saying he doesn't have the arm strength to throw the ball 20 to 30 yards on a line?
Not buying that.
When the Rams had a QB with a big arm with Bradford and a good arm with Foles they didn't attack the seem with TEs much. Doesn't seem to be apart of the offense really.
Too bad because it seems a natural when the S are creeping into the box.

No Keenum doesn't have the arm strength to throw it on a line 20 or 30 yards especially not over the middle where he can't throw it on a line because hes has to throw up over the lines so the only way he can throw it on a line is if he finds a window in the line to throw it through. I guarantee when Goff finally starts playing you will see a lot more use of the middle of the field.

…..

Legend
The way I see it....Higbee had several drops in a preseason game and then 1 or two in game 1. Higbee has all but dissapeared since. Then Kendricks has had two I think, but most notably the opening play in game 3.

Its pretty simple guys....you gotta catch the ball or you can lose targets. We have a hard enough time moving the ball....if you drop one, Boras is going to remember.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Keenum has found Kendricks and targeted and caught a few passes in the past 3 games. Higbee has been targeted but has some drops. Not all have been his fault. but like another poster said Keenum is limited due to height see them downfield.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Higbee looks lost out there and has had drops and stupid penalties . Right now little Gronk has a long way to go .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This.../\

Dude can't see them, and really struggles to get ball to them...And after a drop or two, rarely goes back to them...and Kendricks has been open...Higbee isn't ready...the stage is too big...I'd work my boy Quick, Tavon, and Cooper in the slot....because the middle of the field is where it's at...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This.../\

Dude can't see them, and really struggles to get ball to them...And after a drop or two, rarely goes back to them...and Kendricks has been open...Higbee isn't ready...the stage is too big...I'd work my boy Quick, Tavon, and Cooper in the slot....because the middle of the field is where it's at...

He's taller than Drew Brees and Brees sees them just fine.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
He's taller than Drew Brees and Brees sees them just fine.

Brees also has a lot better feet and moves around the pocket extremely well to find the lanes to throw through. Keenum is definitely no Brees. You can't even mention there names in the same sentence.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boras mentioned in the interview TE's do much more than just catching. Since he used to be a TE coach, I'm not worried about the TEs not getting used.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I have to say that Higbee really has been a bit of a disappointment so far. I thought we'd see more from him.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Brees also has a lot better feet and moves around the pocket extremely well to find the lanes to throw through. Keenum is definitely no Brees. You can't even mention there names in the same sentence.

He was talking about height only.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
^^^ He was talking about height, but that shouldn't limit the conversation, or make us blind to other factors. Pointing out that other undersized guys like Brees and Russell Wilson have an additional aspect (usually feet/mobility) that allows them to find better angles--either outside of the pocket or by pocket manipulation--to attack the middle (not to mention they're both mentally great QBs with decent to exceptional arm talent).

Keenum is too small to see/throw straight across the line, and not quick (or perhaps savvy?) enough to find the right angles at the right timing to hit middle-of the field routes with consistency. His arc and the relatively low speed of his throws force every throw to be timing and anticipation rather than read & react, which is tremendously dangerous when going over the middle.

It should also be remembered that, while Keenum gets credit for being a vet, it's not like he's started a very high amount of games throughout his career. In starts, he's what, a sophomore? He's come in for injured guys for stretches, but his 'experience' is overrated. There are still large parts of his game that suffer due to lack of reps, I'm sure. Attacking the middle with his TEs could be part of that.

To echo some, whenever Goff comes in, I would expect to see more slants and up-the-seam strikes. And more receivers on the injury report.

jap

Legend
I have to say that Higbee really has been a bit of a disappointment so far. I thought we'd see more from him.

He has to get used to absorbing NFL-caliber hits while gathering in tosses.