What Giants fans have to say about Fisher, the Rams, and Odell Beckham Jr.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/...nse_being_ticked_off_at_odell_beckham_jr.html

St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher alludes to defense being ticked off at Odell Beckham Jr.

16622482-mmmain.jpg

Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr.'s touchdown celebrations may have irked the Rams on Sunday. (Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images)

By Nick Powell | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com /December 21, 2014

ST. LOUIS — All game long it seemed like the St. Louis Rams had two different agendas on Sunday: First, to beat the Giants; second, to put the kibosh on Odell Beckham Jr.

The Giants ruined the former with a 37-27 victory, but the latter notion might have been fueled by Beckham himself, judging by comments made by Rams coach Jeff Fisher during his postgame press conference.

"Someone said [Beckham] came out and said he was going to set an NFL record today against the defense early this morning," Fisher said. "I was told that, I don't know. But he's an outstanding player."

It is unclear what Beckham comments Fisher was referring to, but the Giants rookie would stay true to his alleged words and to set a couple of records against the Rams defense. His 79 catches are a new Giants' rookie record for receptions, and his second touchdown of the day gave him 11 for the season, breaking the franchise rookie record for touchdown receptions. Beckham also broke the 1,000-yard receiving mark this season with one more game to play.

But Beckham's big day was not without some testy defense from the Rams. Beckham said he could sense from the first defensive play of the game that there was going to be some extracurricular activity when it came to slowing him down.

"Since the first play it felt as if there was a bunch of hawks and they were all eyeing you," Beckham said. "We knew that was going to be the case. I was just trying to find a way for me to keep my composure and not get the little penalties that were going to hurt the team. It was sometimes difficult today, but I tried my best to keep my head in the game and stay the course."

Emotions would get the better of Beckham's teammates after a blatant late hit from Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree that set off a brawl on the sidelines, resulting in three player ejections. Beckham was fortunate to have been restrained by his teammates, allowing him to continue the game and shatter the aforementioned records.

There was some thought that Beckham's occasionally excessive touchdown celebrations might have had something to do with the Rams' aggravation. Beckham has been known to break out a bunch of different celebrations after reaching the end zone, including his signature "Whip" dance, which was adopted by Rams running back Tre Mason when he scored a second quarter touchdown.

Beckham, however, reassured reporters that he and Mason were actually good friends, dating back to their SEC days with Beckham at LSU and Mason at Auburn. He added that Mason's celebration was somewhat premeditated.

"Tre is like a brother to me," Beckham said. "I saw him last night before the game, and we hung out for a little while and he told me 'I got something for you tomorrow,' and I just kind of was thinking, 'We'll see what happens,' and he got out there and did [the whip] and all you could do is laugh. It feeds you even more."

Even if Beckham's celebrations are all in good fun, he experienced the downside of being too demonstrative when he was flagged for a questionable taunting penalty when he innocuously spun the ball in the end zone. Tom Coughlin gave Beckham an earful about the flag on the sideline, and even his quarterback Eli Manning said that the rookie needs to be careful, as teams will place a bullseye on his back if they feel they're being shown up.

"He has a little something, a little flare to him, which obviously we like, the fans like and people like, but opposing teams will try to get in his head," Manning said. "He's a young guy. They're going to try to not let him high step and do his things on the sidelines sometimes, and it looks like [the Rams] weren't going to let him get away with that or showboat. So, he's just got to know around the sidelines when people can take shots on him, there going to try to get him."

The obvious upside, of course, is that along with Beckham's dancing comes the touchdowns. Seems like a fair trade.

Nick Powell may be reached at npowell@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @nickpowellbkny. Find NJ.com Giants on Facebook.
-------------
Is he a bit over the top with his moves after scoring

I do not think so he is just 22 years old and setting the world of Football on fire

I am sure at 22 all who complain about him were upstanding leaders or your towns.

22 years old playing a game he loves and doing it better then anyone else enjoy it kid you earned every bit of it.
---------
It was a bittersweet moment for me to watch this game yesterday. I love and follow both teams the Giants and Rams. I was happy that both played well and although there were skirmishes here and there it was a fun game. Eli and OBJ picked apart the Rams defenders who had shut out two teams out and holding the AZ cardinals for just 12 points. Thankfully no one was injured in the melee.

It was heartening to see the NY Giants going out on a high and to see ELI and coach Coughlin return to their comfortable ways of winning. As far as the Rams are concerned we need a receiver, couple of offensive linemen(center and guard) and Sam Bradford back.

Oh and one more thing Brown's Mule kick was hilarious and i could not stop laughing for most of the game.
---------
God forbid someone shows a little joy while playing a kids game! OBJ does not taunt opponents, he enjoys his success and it is not directed toward any opposing individuals. The penalty for spinning the ball is a joke, the Jets TE did that yesterday after a first down and nothing was said or done about it.

If this is the way Beckham gets himself up to bring out his best then I am all for it. But like Eli said, he just needs to be prepared for the cheap shots and late hits that will be coming his way. My guess is he thrives off that type of reaction and his teammates should have his back.
---------
BS. That's not showing joy. That is saying kiss my azz. If he keeps doing it he will be a marked man.
---------
Greg Williams has a reputation for teaching his players to bend the rules toward the dirty side, and target certain players. It was obvious to everyone and the official who flagged OBJ for spinning the ball added fuel to the fire. He told the Rams defenders it was OK beat this kid up a little, and they started with the real display of chippyness and flagrant late hits from that point forward.

We have all seen celebrations and actual taunting much more verbally directed at the opponent not get flagged. This official thought or already felt the tension between the DB's and OBJ, and only fueled the fire, the defender was beaten and was walking away before the official even reached for his flag, terrible call.

This where TC excels, he was able at halftime to defuse the issue and focus his team on the prize winning the game. All this being said I have never been a fan of the touchdown or sack dance celebrations, I do understand the emotions of the players, and the response of the crowds who do enjoy them. But if this official was justified in flagging OBJ then we need to see it all flagged or stopped.
--------
Rams are a trashy team that worships thugs & Fisher has no control of them. So glad Giants beat them. A large portion of their own fan base have boycotted them because players sympathized with Ferguson looters & criminals. They were gunning for Beckham right from the start & the NFL better take that seriously. Wouldn't surprise me if there was an actual bounty.
---------
Someday I hope a player of Beckham's caliber adopts the touchdown class shown by Earl Campbell. Must admit that I enjoy the humor of the marching celebration of Gronk, but even Cruz' routine was getting old. A player branded celebration is fine, just keep it short, classy or humorous.

I have been all over the O-Line this year, but will admit that they had a good game yesterday. Still room for improvement, but to give Eli the time and get Williams over 100, they did a nice job most of the time. A lot more fun to watch than that last Eagles game. Hope the Giants can give their fans a belated holiday present with a payback on the Eagles.
---------
Beckham is a great young player. But he better learn to keep his MOUTH shut or he will pay the price.
--------
I so long for the lost days . The "hats on straight days".
---------
oh wah wah wah. The Giants have a player that's superior to my entire team in every way...wah wah wah"
--------
Fisher and Williams are both total scumbags but OBJ needs to grow up and tone it down. Giants fans love it but he needs to play with more class. That target on his back is going to get him seriously injured.
--------
Say what you like but you are totally wrong on Fisher. He is quite a decent human being and don't read too much in to the articles. I am from STL and i listen to Mr.Fisher every monday and folks here in STL have a lot of respect for him. He has turned around a team that was hopeless into a team that plays with a lot of pride week in and out. I do agree that some of the STL Rams defensive players play a bit too aggressively and have cost the team in standings due to stupid penalties.
---------
The one play that was also overlooked was when the Rams safety led with his head and tried to spear ODB. Problem was he hit and knocked out his own player when ODB side stepped him. These players are dirty and are only doing it because their coaches promote it.
--------
Agree with you but for the claim that they are dirty. A lot of these guys are either in their first/second year and are trying to make the roster permanently. And in an effort to do so are playing a bit too aggressively. I have seen these guys make some phenomenal defensive plays against Denver/Seattle/Oakland and Washington. If they were dirty every game you will see it on ESPN.

But yes they have been playing a bit too aggresively at times but not dirty.Fisher is a no-nonsense guy and he has released some bad apples in the team. Although i like Tom Coughlin's pedigree a bit more than Mr.Fisher all said and done at the end of the day. There is no better coach than Tom Coughlin period.
---------
Fisher is lying. There's no quote, there's no justifying his team doing his filthy bidding. They went after him bc he's aewsome, period.
-------
Apparently Greg Williams didn't learn much from the whole Bountygate thing.
--------
.I have seen that Gregg's scheme is to blitz the QB more often than not and what happens is that very good to elite receivers are in an one-on-one with our corners who are just up and coming and are unable to keep up with them. Dez Bryant, Anquan Boldin and OBJ burnt us. One thing common about all three is they simply have the best hands in the business and are tough to take down. Once OBJ made that first catch it was on..maybe he said something to the Rams defenders or was forced to reply back either way it back fired on the Rams defenders. I think they paid a price for their foolishness.
---------
There is no doubt that the Sheep (they don't deserve to be called Rams) were cheap-shotting OBJ all game, and Fisher has now confirmed it. Hopefully the league will come down on those morons--hard.
---------
>>he was flagged for a questionable taunting penalty<<

From my view there was nothing that was questionable about it...it was a touchdown celebration, not taunting...obvious to everyone but the inept officials !!!

All season long the refs have broken new ground with the Giants...from the touchdown that wasn't because the ball was knocked out of the receivers hands in the end zone when he clearly had possession in the end zone for the touch down... to the non-existent penalties that were so far out there to be laughable...to todays celebration penalty...

Makes you wonder !!!
---------
You really have to wonder why the refs didn't eject ogletree...he started the brawl with his actions out of bounds...and deserved to be ejected !!!
----------
Wrong OBJ started the brawl when he threw fhe football in Ogletree's face. If he doesnt react that way the Giants dont lose two players. He needs to learn not to retaliate. And he needs to realize HE is the reason other teams Re targeting him. Not because he is "awesome" but because he is a showboat. Until that stops he is going to continue to wear a target. Eventually it will get him hurt. Hopefully he is smart enough to see that.
--------
If Goodell has any ball$ and is serious about player safety, he'll jump in the middle of this. A combination of Fisher and Greg Williams is a terrible combo. How obvious does it need to be when one team is going after a certain player from the other team (i.e. ODB last night) before Goodell takes action. That was just dirty, dangerous football from St Louis......... Thank God ODB or any other NYG player
--------
The league should fine the hell out of fisher. He did NOTHING to stop that low class team of his from playing cheap all game. I took great joy watching that no-talent McDonald take out his own player going for the launching kill shot on ODB. Was hoping that richburg took out ogletree. That guy was looking to hurt someone all game. Screw that team. Glad they've been the crummiest NFC team over the last 15 years.
--------
What beckham does is harmless. His td celebrations are too short for my taste and he doesn't show anyone up with his play. It's not like he's desean Jackson. Other teams are just sick of the media coverage he's getting which is all earned. He's the most exciting player in the NFL and it's not close. He really does bring the same excitement to the offensive side that LT brought to defense. You can't take your eyes off him. I'm glad they stuck up for him. Makes me optimistic for next year.

Yeah, they're beating some dregs again to finish December but the little seedlings are starting to sprout some Twigglings.

There's a lot of promise on this team. It's not dark days gloom and gloom. This isn't like our hopeless 90s teams. We're a few pieces and some health away from being a decent team.
----------
Fisher's an interesting cat, isn't he? He talks within the media so softly and so reasonably. You'd think he's the voice of reason. But the reality is that all of his teams back to the Houston Oiler days have always been chippie, and rule-bending. He re-hired his old buddy Gregg Williams - even after Bounty-gate. To me it is mind-boggling that he's the co-chair of the NFL Competition Committee. Just goes to show you how susceptible people are to BS when someone has a pleasant public image. His teams reflect the true Jeff Fisher - insidious and underhanded.
--------
He's a scumbag.
--------
You're way too kind. However, I do understand there are restrictions on this blog as to how descriptive one can be.
--------
Maybe Fisher should ask Asshole Face what being suspended for a year is like. I love the way ESPN has been saying for the last 2 weeks, "Nobody wants to play the Rams because they are so tough!". Well, the Rams got beaten like a redheaded stepchild. Maybe they can continue working on the spearing, bodies flying around technique, because it certainly didn't work yesterday.
---------
Why cause they couldn't cover him? Fisher is a good coach but his teams are always known to play after the whistle.
--------
fisher was all upset because williams bounty on the giants wasnt paid. and they looked like cheap shot players who cant win
-------
They didn't look like cheap shot players who can't win...they WERE cheap shot playes who can't win...and the hands up display we saw a few weeks ago...that now makes perfect sense...the RAMS are thugs themselves...standing up for other thugs...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spare me Giants fans....

This is the same group who wanted to run Beckham out of town and fire the front office for drafting the "bust" who missed all of TC and the first few games over an injury that they all said was fugazy

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/...nse_being_ticked_off_at_odell_beckham_jr.html
"Tre is like a brother to me," Beckham said. "I saw him last night before the game, and we hung out for a little while and he told me 'I got something for you tomorrow,' and I just kind of was thinking, 'We'll see what happens,' and he got out there and did [the whip] and all you could do is laugh. It feeds you even more."
I was OK with the signing of jerseys after the game.

But I have to ask: Is this normal?

Opposition players "hanging out" the night before the game?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
These players are dirty and are only doing it because their coaches promote it.

I guess the Giants coaches promote mule kicking people to the face. Take your blinders off anonymous Giants fan.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Manning said. "He's a young guy. They're going to try to not let him high step and do his things on the sidelines sometimes, and it looks like [the Rams] weren't going to let him get away with that or showboat. So, he's just got to know around the sidelines when people can take shots on him, there going to try to get him."

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Guess the giant fans don't watch the Rams games or they'd know the team can play defense with any team! Just not there yesterday! :(

Manning said. "He's a young guy. They're going to try to not let him high step and do his things on the sidelines sometimes, and it looks like [the Rams] weren't going to let him get away with that or showboat. So, he's just got to know around the sidelines when people can take shots on him, there going to try to get him."

In other words, the Rams don't appreciate you acting just like Tavon Austin, especially while making 20 times as many plays as he has in half the time. :cool:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Emotions would get the better of Beckham's teammates after a blatant late hit from Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree that set off a brawl on the sidelines, resulting in three player ejections. Beckham was fortunate to have been restrained by his teammates, allowing him to continue the game and shatter the aforementioned records.
THIS IS BS AND I FOR ONE AM NOT GOING TO FORGET IT!!:mad:

Spare me Giants fans....

This is the same group who wanted to run Beckham out of town and fire the front office for drafting the "bust" who missed all of TC and the first few games over an injury that they all said was fugazy
I just felt this deserved to be BUMPED!