What does BPA mean?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc
I think I like this time of year with all the mocks and trades near as much as the season.

I know I am walking on trodden ground, BUT, it gets so confusing when I hear don't take XYZ because he is not the BPA.
Does Best Player Available mean because I think he is? Does BPA mean because Walters or Draftek or CBS thinks a player is? Or, does it mean that there is a consensus among forum members that this is the guy we take.
I don't know from one week to the next who I want for our Rams. The pundits, pull em up, rarely have the same guy listed once you get past the top 5. Players rise and fall even though their season has been over for months. We bloggers never should agree about anything at anytime or why blog.
Why do 2,3,4 rounders make ROY or allpro? Weren't they really the BPA in their draft?

As I see it, a DE, WR, LOT, CB, maybe QB, brings the most value to the Rams in round 1. Assuming my premise valid, wouldn't it make sense to draft within the group?
For the sake of argument consider ROT, OC, CB, in round 2 and ROT, ILB, OC/G in round 3 as most value to the Rams. Draft accordingly.
Drafting a player because he is the nebulous BPA truly minimizes all the long hours of hard work the scouting department puts in and doesn't even address scheme fit.

The truly wonderful part of embracing the player that the Rams pick is that we have at least three years to second guess them.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
This post is very confusing. But maybe I'm just retarded. Are you asking why a certain player is considered BPA? Or why they call them BPA? It's all based on opinion who the best guy coming out is. Of course there will be different rankings of the best players. It's up to the coach and GM to figure out who that is. I don't know if this helps because the premise of your post is lost on me.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
You kinda answered your own question.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think I like this time of year with all the mocks and trades near as much as the season.

I know I am walking on trodden ground, BUT, it gets so confusing when I hear don't take XYZ because he is not the BPA.
Does Best Player Available mean because I think he is? Does BPA mean because Walters or Draftek or CBS thinks a player is? Or, does it mean that there is a consensus among forum members that this is the guy we take.
I don't know from one week to the next who I want for our Rams. The pundits, pull em up, rarely have the same guy listed once you get past the top 5. Players rise and fall even though their season has been over for months. We bloggers never should agree about anything at anytime or why blog.
Why do 2,3,4 rounders make ROY or allpro? Weren't they really the BPA in their draft?

As I see it, a DE, WR, LOT, CB, maybe QB, brings the most value to the Rams in round 1. Assuming my premise valid, wouldn't it make sense to draft within the group?
For the sake of argument consider ROT, OC, CB, in round 2 and ROT, ILB, OC/G in round 3 as most value to the Rams. Draft accordingly.
Drafting a player because he is the nebulous BPA truly minimizes all the long hours of hard work the scouting department puts in and doesn't even address scheme fit.

The truly wonderful part of embracing the player that the Rams pick is that we have at least three years to second guess them.
It's all about the context. Context changes. We may not evaluate, or perceive needs, or players, the same as the Rams do. Even on the board, there are several evaluators who put a lot of time and effort into ranking players, and needs for the team, based on the perceived BPA. All of us don't agree, and all of us don't evaluate the same way. Same as teams.

RamBill

Legend
The draft is almost entirely a subjective process. As Pat Kirwan says, it's like a beauty contest and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Accordingly, he also says that draft boards are like finger prints...no 2 are a like. So there is no such thing as a universal BPA because teams rate players differently. If you surveyed every team as each pick was being made as to who the BPA was you'd get many different answers. Sure, at the very top of the draft there may be general agreement on player, but once you're out of the top 5-10 the divergence of opinion gets wider and wider.

The best drafting teams do the best job rating the players for their particular team and then stacking their board accordingly. Then during the draft they stick to their boards, taking the BPA for them at each pick. Also, the further you get down in the draft the more likely you'll have multiple players rated about the same. That's where need can really come into the process. If you have players rated evenly, go with your greatest need. Where teams get in trouble is where they take lower rated players over higher rated ones due to need.

All that being said, going with your BPA doesn't always guarantee success because going into every draft we know that the large majority of players drafted will never pan out. That's true every year. So all the labels that are spewed during and right after the draft mean nothing... BPA, Steal, Reach, Bargain, etc. You look back in a few years and you see how many of the labels were completely wrong.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand the confusion...mock drafts are basically constructed around "team needs" - but if you are always supposed to draft BPA, then what gives? Plus Kiper has "team needs" for every team scrolling across the bottom line of ESPN during the draft. Mocks aren't really fun when you draft on the philosophy of BPA - mocks would just be your top 100 list of prospects, in order.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I cant speak for the board but typically BPA is that persons opinion.
Message board draftniks don't have opinions. They post facts because they're never wrong about anything, and will debate tooth and nail to defend their fragile internet ego's.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion

BPA could be all those things. It is more important to know what it doesn't mean. If you think DT player 1 is better than QB player 2, BPA is player 1. Where BPA matters is when you go "well l, player 1 is better but I really need a QB"

Demand n 1

Name
doc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the great responses. I guess I can be a little confusing. The gist is that how can we even type in BPA when no one has a clue as to meaning or quantification. Wouldn't it be best to just drop BPA and say IMHO?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Thanks for the great responses. I guess I can be a little confusing. The gist is that how can we even type in BPA when no one has a clue as to meaning or quantification. Wouldn't it be best to just drop BPA and say IMHO?
One thing I'm certain of is that you are confusing. Why? Would be my response. They are all opinions, this is a message board. If someone types in, BPA, then they are leaving it to our staff to determine that. If they say, "This player is the BPA, at this spot", it is inferred that it is their opinion. So....why say it, we already know it.

To say no one has a clue, as to meaning, or quantification of who their BPA is--that's just insulting. You don't have to read, or take everything someone writes as gospel. Do your own research, don't read them, or just listen to Mayock. 3 suggestions, and that is JMHO.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Every team gives each player a grade/number or whatever.
It may also include a subjective evaluation based on their particular need,
but when their pick comes up, they look at the board and say -"this is who we have rated the highest that's still available".
Then they decide which way to go.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Message board draftniks don't have opinions. They post facts because they're never wrong about anything, and will debate tooth and nail to defend their fragile internet ego's.

That's not true and I'll fong you unless you TAKE THAT BACK!

GreenMays

UDFA
BPA means ignoring the team's current depth chart and positional needs and then drafting whomever the team has at that point at the top of their draft list...the best player available according to the team's evaluators. Has nothing to do with outside pundit opinions, forum members, or some magical hindsight look at future performance. In contrast, traditionally teams will draft to improve the weakest positions on their depth chart.

Aaron Donald was a BPA pick. The Rams were pretty well set last year at DT and had numerous other more pressing positional needs. But the Rams ignored those needs and took who they had at the top of their draft evaluations.

Demand n 1

Name
doc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing I'm certain of is that you are confusing. Why? Would be my response. They are all opinions, this is a message board. If someone types in, BPA, then they are leaving it to our staff to determine that. If they say, "This player is the BPA, at this spot", it is inferred that it is their opinion. So....why say it, we already know it.

To say no one has a clue, as to meaning, or quantification of who their BPA is--that's just insulting. You don't have to read, or take everything someone writes as gospel. Do your own research, don't read them, or just listen to Mayock. 3 suggestions, and that is JMHO.

DR Ram you have more likes than I have posts. You are rightfully revered. Cannot help but, mia culpa. I am confusing. We lefties just don't think linearly.
No insult intended to posters giving their opinion as to BPA. Never inferred one forum members opinion was better v. worse. We are here for the camaraderie and banter.
One year later, no one on this board would argue that Aaron Donald was not "BPA". The nugget is, was he drafted as an unnecessary Fisher toy (BPA) or at a position of need. Langford is gone. Brockers has yet to prove his worth. (not hating). IMHO it feels like Donald was the best player @ a position of need for our D minded coach.
BPA is an anachronism. Who do you like(or don't) and why, is the forum juice.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Several great responses....I'll just go with
The draft is almost entirely a subjective process. As Pat Kirwan says, it's like a beauty contest and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Accordingly, he also says that draft boards are like finger prints...no 2 are a like. So there is no such thing as a universal BPA because teams rate players differently. If you surveyed every team as each pick was being made as to who the BPA was you'd get many different answers. Sure, at the very top of the draft there may be general agreement on player, but once you're out of the top 5-10 the divergence of opinion gets wider and wider.

The best drafting teams do the best job rating the players for their particular team and then stacking their board accordingly. Then during the draft they stick to their boards, taking the BPA for them at each pick. Also, the further you get down in the draft the more likely you'll have multiple players rated about the same. That's where need can really come into the process. If you have players rated evenly, go with your greatest need. Where teams get in trouble is where they take lower rated players over higher rated ones due to need.

All that being said, going with your BPA doesn't always guarantee success because going into every draft we know that the large majority of players drafted will never pan out. That's true every year. So all the labels that are spewed during and right after the draft mean nothing... BPA, Steal, Reach, Bargain, etc. You look back in a few years and you see how many of the labels were completely wrong.
this one....BPA is best player irrespective of needs...we need a RT, OG, & C...I also think we need a QB...but if the best player, according to our board is a RB....we take him...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
this one....BPA is best player irrespective of needs...we need a RT, OG, & C...I also think we need a QB...but if the best player, according to our board is a RB....we take him...
This is pretty much the way Coach Coughlin of the Giants plays it each year. and it has worked well for him and other Coaches!
That said, I agree with this definition!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Aaron Donald was a BPA pick. The Rams were pretty well set last year at DT and had numerous other more pressing positional needs. But the Rams ignored those needs and took who they had at the top of their draft evaluations.

Since the team goal is to win the Super Bowl, not the Pro Bowl, And since there is no question that they got a great player in Donald, ask yourself hypothetically. If they had drafted the best O lineman in the draft and he had been able to keep Bradford healthy, wouldn't they have been a much better team last year? Or had they hit on the next Brady or Manning with that pick?
Not to mention that you usually have to wait three years or more to evaluate who really was the BPA in the draft positions.
So was Donald really the BPA?

Athos

Legend
So was Donald really the BPA?

You're confusing BPA with BPA w/need. I take BPA as best player available at a certain slot regardless of position. As in, he possesses the most talent relative to what's left that you could pick in that slot. Tavon, for example, was not BPA. He was simply need meets want.

Donald was BPA because he has perennial pro-bowl talent and could be HOF worthy once you look at him again in say 5 years.

White and Cooper are BPA anywhere from 3-10 imo. The two top players in this draft are Williams and Winston.