WHAT COLOR IS THE DRESS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Am I the only one who sees blue & gold there?
And no, that's not a Rams reference. Those are the colors I see.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
qShH5re.gif

A55VA6

Legend
I definitely see black and blue. When I saw this last night, a couple of my friends were saying white and gold. I just don't see it. It's clearly blue and black to me. lol

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Am I the only one who sees blue & gold there?
And no, that's not a Rams reference. Those are the colors I see.
That's what I saw for a while, but now seeing more of a golden brown.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Black and blue, due to how our brain sees colors, we assume that shadows and lighting change colors of objects, thus will compensate. It's called color constancy, it takes things such as shadows, lighting etc, and apply them to how we see the world.

Here's a good example of this, we see the shadow and assume the two center boxes are different colors, shadow makes things darker, therefore they assume the bottom one is lighter.

j9pzqh.jpg

However they're the same color. I went on photoshop and cut out the two squares and put them to the other side, as you can see they're the same color. I didn't tweak anything with the color either, anyone can do it.

Reading that reminded me of that show Brain Games. They explain the exact same thing.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I walked in the house last night after work and my wife shoves her phone at me: "What color is this dress?"

"Huh?"

"What color is this dress?"

"Blue and black."

"NO! It's white and gold!"

"No it isn't."

"Oh my God, it's white and gold!"

"You color blind? I'm looking right at it--it's blue and black"

And so on.

Later, the dress changed color for me and it was white and gold but mostly it's blue and black. I'm happy to be proven right and that my brain processes better than hers. :)

Rod HOF worthy!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Black and blue. They way I understand it if you see black and blue you have better rods and cones than those who see white and gold.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If you go to the actual Wired article...

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

Then you'll see that after proliferation of the pic, it's been flattened so much that the original image has been "changed" a little bit.

As a multimedia engineer, I used to see this all the time.

All we're looking at is white balance correction. That's it. For anyone who doesn't understand it, it can do some unexpected things. But that's all it is. It's not even an optical illusion.

And if you look at the original image with the white balance taken to the extremes on either end, then you will see that the dress is blue and black. The extreme white balance on the end still shows blue. But then, even as the Senior Photo Editor of Wired pointed out who saw white/gold and tried to adjust for a white dress, it wasn't right.

I used to see this ALL THE TIME with my render farm, especially with low res inputs like VHS that were oversaturated. Unfortunately, because I had to automate the process, there was only so much I could do, but adjusting the white balance was very tricky stuff and I spent weeks looking at so...so....so much poorly lit video doing adjustments on just this kind of thing.

But yeah, it's funny how our brains sometimes tell us the opposite of what's right in front of us...

Well, funny isn't always the right word.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the world is on fire.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Black and blue. They way I understand it if you see black and blue you have better rods and cones than those who see white and gold.
Judgmental bastard! My rods and cones are just fine thank you.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
hahahahahahah.

Memento rolling in the puntang.

Sorry, someone had to say it.

The first stupid ass image that was shoved in my face by literally ALL of my female friends on FB.....it was clearly freaking white and gold.

The image above looks like an entirely different image.

At any rate, who the freak cares? As Peter Griffin would say.

Reminded me of the old Eddie Murphy thing......haha