What are the chances R Quinn and EJ Gaines return to their old form?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
There has been a lot of discussion about the potential for our defense to be better than last year. Most of us think that for that to happen Quinn and Gaines have to return to their old form. I did some research on players returning from their types of injuries. The links to two university studies are below. I have also copied the salient conclusions. Looks like both should be good.

Back Surgery:

"For the study, Northwestern researchers scoured two decades of public records to determine the career outcomes of 52 NFL offensive and defensive linemen who had had herniated disc surgery during their active careers. Not only did 80 percent of the players return to the game, they also played an average of 33 games during three years after the surgery. More than half of them attained the prestigious distinction as starter at their position."

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2011/01/nfl-linemen-back-surgery.html

Lisfranc Surgery:

"
Lisfranc injuries can occur when a player lands on the heel of another player’s foot, or when a player’s cleats embed in the turf as they maneuver, resulting in a fracture or dislocation of the midfoot. According to the NFL’s Foot and Ankle Committee, the injuries may be a result of shoe companies using lighter weight materials and increasing the flexibility of players’ shoes. Depending on the severity, injuries are treated with prolonged rest and immobilization or surgery, often bringing a players’ season to a premature close. For example, just weeks into the 2014 season, Chicago Bears Tight End Zach Miller suffered a Lisfranc injury and missed the remainder of the season. In the Penn study, which included 11 offensive players and 17 defensive players, 22 players required surgery and six were managed non-operatively.

The Penn team found that 26 of the 28 players (92.9 percent) returned to competition in the NFL. With the exception of the two players who never returned to the NFL, the remaining 26 athletes returned to play at a median 11.1 months from time of injury and missed a median 8.5 NFL regular season games. There was no statistically significant difference in time to return to play or games missed when comparing offensive and defensive players.

The majority of players who returned to the NFL (84.6 percent) sustained season-ending Lisfranc injuries, returning to the competition between nine and 15 months following injury. Only three players (11.5 percent) returned to play during their injury season, with one additional player returning midway through the season following an offseason injury."

https://news.upenn.edu/news/most-nf...-return-game-action-penn-medicine-study-finds

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its hard to say. I believe if they don't return to their form, it can be more than just that injury. Sometimes there's other underlying issues. Gaines will be in his second year of playing after missing a whole season. I gotta think he's fully recovered. But some players suffer what they call a sophomore jinx. I hope that isn't the case with him because he's got great instincts. I gotta think his play won't diminish.

As far as Quinn, back injuries are hard to figure out. Some guys come back nicely from them. Some don't. I don't know how severe Quinn's injury was. I've had a bad back for 30 years. But I don't play sports for a living. Just for fun. And the back didn't hinder me most the time. Age did. :cool:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Depends on what we define as old form, especially for Quinn.

If it's getting back to 19 sacks I say no because that is a career year thing. If it's 12-16 sacks and also getting in some extra hits/hurries and forcing the QB out of the pocket to improvise then I would say he's back.

Lisfranc needs a year plus for best recovery from an article I read a while back. I wonder if there is info on players who came back in less than a year and suffered setbacks. I think he will be fine..........and have a long strong career hopefully all of it as a Ram.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Judging by our offseason moves; the best indicator is the Rams expect them back 100%.

Quinn started hot last year raising havoc week 1, then breaking down by week 8. Assuming he's back healthy, this guy is a top 20 player in the league on defense.

I am anxious to see Gaines show us an encore to his rookie year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hard to say, but fingers are crossed. I'm more worried about Quinn. He's been an elite player, and really that's what we need him to be again. EJ Gaines still has to prove he's an elite, or even a serious starter....Win the job without a player getting injured.....

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
With Quinn, is it just the back injury, or has something been done about his sore knee as well?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm more worried about Quinn than Gaines. His career could be ruined by a bad back.
Gaines will be back sooner than later.