What 49ers fans are saying about their dumpster fire of a team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
78jbQMz.jpg

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182632-what-is-going-on/

What Is Going On?

Nothing. Just bad luck.: 45%

Players don't like our FO coaching moves, leaving: 42%

Our system is changing, out with the old: 7%

Grand Jury....?: 2%

Players feel $$ promises reneged, leaving: 2%

Players don't like our training/med practices, leaving: 2%

Total Votes: 91
------------------
We lead the league in retirement announcements. Why?

Speculation from Gerald McCoy:

Investigation has to be coming for 49ers!! No way that many people from the same team retire coincidentally. What is going on in San Fran?

What the heck is going on with us?
-------
It's just random. Everyone needs to quit freaking out.
--------
I think just some bad luck mostly. Guys are still showing up and playing for the Jaguars and Raiders after all. I think the issue is that this team has had a lot of games over the past few years, some deep playoff runs and a lot of guys got beat up pretty good. Willis I think was a goner no matter what due to his toe, Justin Smith had similar injury issues.

Davis and Borland are confusing but maybe they both just had enough. Davis hasn't been the same since 2011, maybe injuries were wearing on him, especially after last season.
----------
i think its a combo of 2 things...1) players are more aware of the long term health concerns and more apt to walk away earlier and 2) the trend of the team plays into a bit. if this were 2012 or 2013 i dont think the guys would have walked away knowing the team was so close to a super bowl. now its not as close and they know that and are weighing their options
---------

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysf5o5xOGYE

---------
Shouldn't this be happening to other teams as well?
---------
something that really is out of the management's hands..

can't blame anyone.. never saw it coming..

but, it does make this season more exciting in my opinion...

as Eric Wright once yelled at his struggling teammates going into a playoff (revenge) game against the Vikings...

" ALLLLL THE STARSSSSS SURVIVEEEEEEEEEEEEE FELLASSSSS, THISSSS ISSS ITTTT!!!! ---------
Just drafting players that dont love the game and just want enough money and then quit.

#FIREBAALKE
---------
I think they've been overworked by the previous coaching staff. There's working hard, and working smart. Walsh understood how to balance these two, so his teams were healthy. It's no coincidence to me that the team has been exponentially more injury prone in recent years.
---------
I hear you on the players know the longbterm effects thing..but we've lost 3 starters. I dont see this happening where starters are retiring en masse from other teams. Im sure theres been a couple but we've had 3 surprise retirements...on one team. Kinda crazy..
-----------
Louis Riddick ‏
@LRiddickESPN

Despite all the change for #49ers, I can tell u that in the building, they are much more optimistic. Maybe THE most fascinating team for'15.
-----------
Some Seahawks' fan used all 3 of his wishes on the 49ers' offseason. He could've had super powers or a trillion dollars, but he wasn't interested.
sad.gif

----------
The sky is falling!!!!!! This is just comical now
--------
If nothing else, we are fascinating. So much change in the building, its crazy.

I believe in a lot of the talent left on the roster tho. If we put together a winning season, we'll be a Cinderella story like the 2011 team.
---------
arrest, dumb tweet, retirement, arrest, dumb tweet, retirement. we are in a loop
----------
it's a combination of things..

3 deep playoff runs ending with devastating losses has to take a lot out of a player. Throw in the injuries. And I think firing Harbaugh, and maybe more so the way it was handled, was the final factor for some of them.
---------
drafting smart players is biting us in the ass
-------
Coffee, Borland, Anthony Davis, the niners need to find out players commitment to football b4 drafting. This goes on the FO for drafting these players and the coaches for not keeping players motivated to play.

3 players that retired before the age of 26?????
eek.gif

-----------
If all these reports of the team really looking good and having renewed enthusiasm somehow results in the team making the playoffs it will be a truly great story and huge surprise to everyone, since this offseason is being talked about as one of the worst ever and the team expected to finish last in the division. I hope to God that happens.
----------
Guys, maybe you can help me out but I have another, slightly crazy theory why it happens to our team specifically:

I am not sure and maybe some of you know more about this, but isn´t the Stanford School of Medicine both working together with the 49ers medical staff (I am pretty sure they have some 49ers cooperation and work together) and also one of the leading researchers in medical concussion research?

I guess that is a bit far fetched, but what If our players are simply deeper in the loop in regards to cutting-edge concussion research because of the Stanford medical ties our medical staff has and thus are either more scared or better informed about current results from concussion research?

Maybe it hits our team more often because our medical staff is having a different opinion on concussion and concussion risk than the other NFL medical staffs, because of the Stanford connection and the other teams do not have the same information yet?

Or maybe our players are simply more aware and afraid of it because they get to see research much more thoroughly and earlier than other NFL players? I guess having some Stanford guys talking with you team doctors and maybe doing some research might be something that makes you think about it as a player, I don´t know.

I guess I might be grasping for straws here but this is something I had thought about more since Chris Borland retired and at least it would kinda make our offseason look a little more logical
dunno.gif

----------
I hope we get the first overall pick and trade it away for a lot of draft picks to rebuild. But all this is due to playing in a lot of tough games against tough teams. The 9ers have had tough schedules for the past 5 years and it is eating up players bodies. Big physical teams like Seattle, Rams, and Cardinals twice a year sure did not help.
--------
Maybe we just drafted a bunch of Pu**ies! Go back home to your basket weaving...wait, you might stick yourself with the needle so maybe not!
---------
5 guys retired in less than a year so must be a coincidence right? I dont think that's ever happened to a team in 1 year... well technically about 6-7 months. Lattimore, Willis, Borland, Smith, Davis....

Like I said in another post I wouldnt be surprised if we start seeing an epidemic of guys retiring early on after getting paid and being set for life. Sign that rookie contract play a few years make a few million; if you know how to live within reason that's enough for the rest of your life. Hell I could live off probably 100-150k.
-------
F ¥€k this season, this is freaking pathetic! I guess from now on one of the draft questions should be "are u gonna p***y out after 1 season? "
-------
does anyone think the way JH ran them so hard all the time not letting up has anything to do with the younger players retiring? Borland and Davis? Wills was hurt, Smith fathers time, Lattimore Knee.
-------
Yes. I believe Boone when he says Harbs ran the team too hard at times. There's a difference between working hard, and working intelligently.

Walsh worked his players hard, but regularly held light practices to keep them fresh in both body and mind. Working hard is counter-productive if half of your roster is on IR, and key players are mentally and physically done playing before they even reach 30 years old.
---------
I saw this news on espn and just laughed. f**k Davis and Borland we lost two quitters and that's fine these two dip s**ts will find the real world doesn't pay nearly as well and come crawling back to football. Smith and willis may be future hall of famers and gave us a bunch of memorable great plays nothing but respect for them.
---------
The team got run down - worked to the bone, long seasons with play-offs, not a fun environment with the grind mentality - you saw it in them last season, the fight had left the team, they were worn out. Borland doesn't fit this part - except that in his one season he was playing like a madman way above his size.

Add in the quacky and vapid leadership of Kid York, and zero warmth Baalke.

Add in the tiring media story last year, and the demoralizing losses to SEA.

Add in the coaching staff change = the arduous task of starting over learning a system, etc.

Add in the influence of seeing others call it quits (removes the taboo).

It all adds up to people rationalizing a time to leave.

As with all of football, IT IS NEVER JUST ONE THING, it is the compounding of many things. And this is what you get.
--------
Where is the option for "The old staff took all the love out of the game for the younger players"… Everyone want to blame all the new changes but decisions like this aren't made over night, it takes a long time for that mindset to settle in.
---------
It was a combination of things that lead to these players feeling burnt out and ready to retire. It's madness in Niner land right now. Just have to weather this storm and move on with what we've got.
--------
I wonder if it isn't gonna become more common in this day and age that after getting millions of dollars, higher draft picks leave the game earlier. It didn't happen in the past, but wonder if a new mentality will emerge.
---------
Staley Thomas Killgore Martin Boone.
First rounder, First round talent, looked Great, First round talent, temperamental bad ass.
Depth is my only concern.

If line stays healthy as a unit this will be the least of our worries.
---------
You're already setting up excuses for Tomsula. Cute. Concussions and age and a nuked knee. Effin Harbaugh.
--------
When a 25 year old would rather give you $6.5M than play for your organization you need to look in the mirror. You are doing something wrong.
--------
Well, AD isn't "tight lip" guy. Give him 2 weeks and were are all going to find out WTF is going on in SF.. I love that people think it's them making it to far in the playoffs,.,. Hahsha GTFO WITH THAT HOMER b******t,. The wool will be pulled back for all of us soon.,. AD WONT BE ABLE TO KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT,. I expect Boone will be chiming in soon,, get your popcorn ready.
---------
You cant lump these guys together. Lattimore couldnt play any more because of his knee, he shredded his MCL, PCL, and ACL all at once. Dats NASTY. Justin Smith was old and injured, its not some crazy ordeal thats what vet players do. Willis has been injured awhile, and decided he couldnt play to his standard, pretty reasonable. Borland, and Davis are just really bad coincidences and suck.

Lastly you couldnt live the rest of your life in the united states on 150k, unless you lived in the woods lol.
---------
Its fascinating to see how we will implode next.
--------
If you don't think the past could have had any bearing on the players motivation or will, thats just delusional imo. Ill still put money down that this team wins more than 8 games if Kap is upright for the season.
---------
Good thing the players love Tomsula.

Right now I'm not sure how that helps in any way? But still.. good thing.
-------
I think they just see that they the team is undergoing a rebuild and most don't want to go through w it, I understand that Willis and Cowboy didn't want to be part of that. Had last season turned out different had they made the playoffs, and had Harbaugh stayed, i think most of the players could rally for one more run.

But as soon as you start changing coaches, changing schemes, changing plays... no player thinks thats a recipe for a championship contending team. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle like the 2011 team, but most know that won't be the case.

Players don't want to undergo all of that change, especially the veterans like Willis and Smith, who have been mitigated with chronic injuries.

Then it becomes contagious. Davis sees it's pretty much a lost year with all the turnover and he rather not expose himself, considering his injuries. he rather just wait out the year, let other players take the beating and maybe in 2016 the team is more equipped for a playoff run.

It sucks, but we all have to face reality. I'm not saying the team will be bad. I know they will have heart and they well compete, but it's going to be a long season. A winning record would be a great accomplishment at this point.
--------
Call me crazy but I'm not that worried.
Davis retiring upsets me more than Iupati leaving, but that's only because I think Brandon Thomas will be better than Iupati. RT is now by far our biggest need and 1 of only 2 positions where I don't know who will start, Center being the other. It would be nice if one of Pears, Brown, Silberman can step in there and not miss a beat.
I've seen some some suggest moving Boone to RT but I don't think he'll be here much longer.
---------
Over the course of his 5 year career his contract payout has been 28 million. If he's smart, which I assume he is, he'll be set for life and never have to work again if he wished.
Like others have said, some people value long term health over financial gain.
--------
Maybe there is a Sandusky type of situation happening. Jed maybe had a deviant sexual behavior and takes it on his players.
---------
Can't lump them together! Willis and Cowboy are BEAST in my book. They know they can't give 100% so they retire. Even though I think P.Willy is about 75-80% of what he was and Cowboy maybe 70%. I would take them because of their will and heart. I would take them both at 50% because I know they will leave it all out there.

Borland I can't judge him he brought it and it showed with his work ethic. Lattimore all heart! If he still could, I know he would be out there.

A. Davis, not a surprise. Showed me his true character last season. Won't miss him at all.
---------
There is a such thing as a coach running his players into the ground........I believe that is what Coach Harbaugh was doing, which is now why you see a few of guys retiring.

The same way the coach from the Chicago Bulls did which is why even he was just fired.

Has anyone given this thought
--------
That makes no sense. There are countless athletes that play for way s**ttier teams than the 49ers. So it's definitely not about the losing.

If it is an organizational issue then they would try to holdout and/or force a trade. They are just straight up retiring, so once again, your statement makes no sense.
---------
but harbaugh is gone
-------
And the damage is done. Coach may be gone but the experience and injury pain didn't leave with him
---------
Maybe the way the team was running previous years has finally caught up to us........Or should I say caught up to us last season with the record number of injuries
-------
http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1446-anthony-davis-another-example-49ers-poor-management/

Anthony Davis Another Example of 49ers Poor Management
By Jesse Dumas

There's a stench in Santa Clara, and it's got players leaving in droves.

It would be unfair to pin this trend of rapidly-retiring players on Jim Tomsula, who's got to be just as dismayed as any of the 49ers suddenly-tortured fans by this exodus of talent. It would also be an oversimplification to say that if Jim Harbaugh had been retained after last season that none of this would have happened.

The fact of the matter is that players are thinking more and more about their own well-being and how that's compromised by playing the collision-intensive sport of football. Early retirements will likely be more prevalent in the league as the data pours in regarding the damage done to players and how they suffer later in life. Players young and old know now the risk they take every time the buckle their chinstraps and take the field, so commitment to the game is more necessary than ever to play at an elite level.

That being said, the sudden retirements of Patrick Willis, Chris Borland, and now Anthony Davis speak to the level of apathy in Santa Clara and that's a derivative of how team management has handled team affairs for the last 18 months or so.

Management sent a clear message by undermining their coach after 3 seasons of consistent success, essentially putting out an ultimatum of "win the Super Bowl or we're firing you" to Harbaugh in year number 4. That message was that winning wasn't the primary objective, at least not the sole primary objective. You can win, but you better damn well tow the company line too, or you're out.

We've been living in this nightmare for quite some time, but other fans around the country still can't figure out how the 49ers bungled the Harbaugh situation and now appear to be in some kind of free-fall without him. Of course we know the story is more nuanced than that, but in some ways it's not.

If the players that have decided to retire thought this was a team on the brink of greatness and their contributions were crucial to that effort, then it seems unlikely that all these dominoes would have fallen as they did. The 49ers probably aren't as bad off as everybody is making them out to be, but for any player to face the thought of starting over with a new head coach and all the work ahead of them just to get back to where they were less than 2 seasons ago, they have to decide if it's worth it to them when the likelihood of getting the ultimate payoff in a championship seems pretty remote.

So, we have guys choosing to walk away rather than suit it up one more time for this team. It's a product of the modern game, the challenge of changing coaches, and the 49ers poor handling of all their recent success.

Jed York asked to be held accountable, do you think we'll get any explanations of what's going on with his team? Fat chance. The 49ers will just carry on like nothing's wrong and everything is going according to plan. Just ignore the smell.
--------
We are blaming HARBAUGH!!! LMAO

-McDonald is innocent stressed by Harbaugh
-Forced Cowboy and Willis out
-Castrated Borland
-Held Davis down and over fed him

I know I'm forgetting something else. Lol
--------
In spite of this I'm still quite optimistic as well. If we were to go ahead and make a deal for Mathis if the price were reasonable I'd be even more so because we'd have some potentially fantastic depth once again. Trent Brown is gonna be a pretty good player. He might not be ready to start for a lot of reasons, but he'll do well in a pinch.

Fingers crossed on injuries. Erik Pears is a decent T as well (esp for a backup). He was awful at G but it's a significantly different kind of position with significantly different matchups.
----------

9189283.jpg

---------
No harbaugh didn't push them nearly as hard as Singletary and the only one that quit on sing was lol Glen coffee. Even with all his faults harbaugh was a great and proven winning coach, we lost 3 games last year by a c**t hair, should have been 11-5 and our front office fired him, because they were tired of him personally. Bill belichick is a piece of s**t and I'd bet kraft hates him, but kraft just wants to own a great franchise our fo wants a yes man. Jed and baalke are the bad guys not Harbs.
-------
Jed already picked baalke over harbaugh. Jed fires baalke he's admitting he f**ked up, spoiled rich kids usually don't admit they're f**k ups that were rich the minute they were squirted into their mommy's belly
--------
The NFL is on its last legs. This is just the beginning of early retirements.
--------
I see a lack of respect for the front office after this. Why who knows? But to have two players pulls this off not counting Willis says a lot about what's going inside
--------
The players don't buy the York propaganda quite as much as people on the WZ do. They are retiring and leaving in FA at an alarming rate. I'm not surprised at all. Not at all. Jed York and Baalke are the biggest jokes in the league. Looks like Karma is coming back at them. That pick is going to be higher than #15 next year.
--------
Giving up millions under the guise of caring about some stupid head trauma bs, is clearly a smokescreen. These guys would obviously rather pay the organization millions instead of playing for this team. I think all of us who believe this should show solidarity and stop posting on this forum to show our disdain for the 49ers brass. Who's coming with me?
---------
Lol. So who's getting arrested next?

Jerome Simpson on drug charges is my guess.
---------
Kaepernick warned us a 7torm was coming.
----------
I have a feeling that watching the 2015 49ers will be like watching the 1984 oakland invaders.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Just a different set of expectations.
--------
2 and 3.

The front office sucks, well starting from bad ownership really.

As a result, you end up with a boatload of shi*e coaching staff that no team wants.

Of course, as players that means the entire organization sucks, is not a happy working environment, motivation drops to a point whereby eventually you just have to cut your losses and say adios to maintain your sanity.
--------
It's my opinion but I definitely think it's related to some of the coaching departures. Fangio, Donatell and Leavitt were outstanding coaches that are going to be very hard to be replaced.
--------
bad luck..........

CharlesHestonLaughPoTA.gif

some of you dudes are so delusional.
---------
I don't see how we even get close to 6 wins this season and I usually get Debbie off, not down
--------
Lattimore serious injury history and most teams wouldn't have drafted him at all, Niners took a risk on a long shot.

Willis lengthy recent injury history, not young, steadily diminishing performance

Borland report serious shoulder injury history

Smith ended a fine career citing specifically injury and age as reasons

Davis has spent a lot of time injured in his early career

To me it's pretty damn clear whats going on here.
--------
OV/UN win total is 7 1/2... OVER, BOOK IT!!
--------
Jerome or aldon with the arrest. Jed on the dumb tweet and Eric Reid retirement all before training camp. Book it

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Lattimore - injury not healing well enough
Borland - heart not into it any longer
Willis - toe injury has him frustrated
Smith - Too old to go through another team rebuild
Davis - Pissing himself when he realized Chris Long is healthy again

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I won't be happy until we're back to Alex Smith era football where their best players outside of Frank Gore and him were Arnaz Battle.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Wow, they are taking better than I thought. They keep getting worse and they just had a regiment change. That's like a different kind of low, right? But I have seen worse. :unsure:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/6/6/8740975/andy-lee-trade-49ers-browns-draft-pick-bradley-pinion

49ers trade Andy Lee to Browns for 7th-round pick, per report
By James Brady@JamesBradySBN

usa-today-8114382.0.jpg

Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

Bradley Pinion is now San Francisco's starting punter, as Andy Lee has been traded to the Cleveland Browns.

The San Francisco 49ers have traded punter Andy Lee to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for a 2017 seventh-round draft pick, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. Lee, a three-time Pro Bowler, has been with the 49ers since the team took him in the sixth round of the 2004 NFL Draft.

Lee is also a four-time All-Pro, and has been one of the most consistent players on the team. When the 49ers are bad, he's the unironic MVP here at Niners Nation, and it's somewhat puzzling to see this kind of move made. Well, it's not exactly puzzling since the 49ers used a fifth-round pick on rookie punter Bradley Pinion in the 2015 NFL Draft, but it was puzzling that they did that in the first place.

No, when the team took Pinion, it was obvious that something was going to happen with Lee. I'm a little surprised it's happening after a handful of organized team activities, and I'm surprised the 49ers were only able to get a seventh-round pick for a guy who is still clearly very good at what he does. But if the writing was on the wall, I imagine teams were content to let Lee hit the open market to make a move on him there. After all, it stands to reason most teams are settled at the punter position at this stage in the offseason.

There are those will ask if this has anything to do with Anthony Davis retiring, with someone on Twitter asking me whether or not it suggested cap space was being cleared to extend Alex Boone so he can start at the right tackle spot. I don't think that's the case -- this move was clearly a long time in the making and it occurred after OTAs for a reason. Boone could wind up being the right tackle in the future but I don't think it's as simple as moving a few pieces and drawing up an extension.

Still, the move clears a significant amount of money from the books. Lee was due $2.55 million this coming season, while Pinion will make just under $500,000. Lee's cap hit was set to increase significantly over the next three seasons, with $3.33 million in 2016, $3.433 million in 2017 and $4.13 million in 2018.

Anyway, sorry for the late and brief post -- it seems as though Fooch isn't around and I'm working at the moment. So have fun in the dumpster fire.
-----------
Wow!
This isn’t the team my mom rooted for.
--------
It is the team Jeds mommy gave him though
--------

I’d like to think of it as the team that Jed f…d up.
--------
I wonder if the niners will switch to Geico to save some more money
-------

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HPr7e0N-VQ

-------
The offseason from hell continues along..
They just kicked MVPLee to the curb, and traded him to Cleveland, of all places.. Brutal! So when it was all said and done, the 49ers got Dawson and a 7th rounder from the Browns in exchange for Andy Lee. Man this offseason definitely is shaping up to be an all timer if it hasn’t got there yet.

My optimism for the team may have took a sizeable hit the last 2 days, but it’ll heal and I’ll be back on the proverbial unicorn in no time! Just imagine; If the 49ers someway, somehow becomes a Super Bowl champion on their own turf this season, the suceeding America’s game for the 49ers would be epicly, epic!
---------
giphy.gif

---------
So where is that quote from Baalke about Pinion will have to beat out Andy Lee?
I mean we knew it was BS but he just loves to spoon feed us crap thinking we will eat it
--------
reloading my ass
what a joke. Good luck in Cleveland Andy, hard to believe super awesome GM Ninja Baalke couldn’t get more then a 7th round pick in 2017 for him.
-------
Baalke speak with Jed-tongue
He normally doesn’t resort to outright lies, I am disappointed to read this. He clearly as been spending too much time in Jed’s company.
-------
i'm running out of words to describe this offseason
-------
You had one job, ownership
Screw York, screw Baalke and screw this "team". Via the transitive property, you are also a piece of crap, Tomsula.
--------
Why do I even bother coming here anymore if it's all bad news now...
Homer-Walks-Into-Bar-and-Leaves.gif

-------
I don’t come here anymore, and just came on so I could be on record as one of the guys burying Jed before the body got cold. This team is not just a disaster, it’s an irrelevant disaster, and that’s a fate I wouldn’t wish on my worst seahawk.
--------
You really think we can beat 8-8?
I think that’s going to be pretty tough this year no matter who our coach is
-------
We really have no group that won’t be better overall this year, than last year. (barring injuries)… Aside from coaching staff. But I don’t think that the coaching staff change will be that significant in our first year. I think that last year we were hampered by injuries that we weren’t expecting. Now we aren’t relying on injured players by counting on others to fill starting spots. Guys tend to play better when it is expected of them.
----------
Hahaha...
I guess we’ll see if this is a better than 0-16 team. This is the first I’ve heard that this will be the case and I for one think that you’re assessment is absurd.
---------
you mean the rings and playoff berths we should have had if Jed York hadn’t had alcohol in his bloodstream, then you’re absolutely correct
--------
So you guys know what happens next right?
Pinion retires
--------
We’re about 3 players away from this not being close to the team we’ve rooted for the past 3 seasons. Vd is at the end of his 49er time and if the kaep trade rumors come to fruition there will be one player left from our offensive core of the past few seasons. Defense we have aldon and bowman that and neither have a Guaranteed future with the team, this offseason is downright depressing

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's just going to get worse when they start realizing that their team is completely dependent on the arm of Krapperdoodle...

Can't make this stuff up its so good. Lol!

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 Sportsbook Champion
I am enjoying every passing day and added calamity for those band wagon riding bafoons. This is so entertaining... I knew it was coming to this for them but didn't expect stupid to happen and destroy them. Now just to wait for the Seashits to spend money and get rid of some of its core.... Mmmmm NFC West here come the slow and steady Rams to blanket you in your past accomplishments while we are creating new ones for ourselves.

FRO

Legend
Does it make me a bad person to take joy in the pain 49er fans are going through?