Well, it's Week 9 so it's time to Talk Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think that the primary thing for us to do is get more dominant edge rushers (either one of the two Clemson edge rushers Clelin Ferrell or Austin Bryant would do in the first round). Quinn and Barwin are not the long-term answers, and we need an edge rusher aside from Ebukam/Longacre/Price to put pressure on the outside. Adding a guy like Sione Teuhema (Southeast Louisiana), Ade Aruna (Tulane), or Jaylon Ferguson (Louisiana Tech) would also help this pass-rush succeed.

Next need are two corners (both outside). I doubt we re-sign Tru, and I'd like to put some of that money towards NRC and Joyner. I like the Alexanders (Jaire out of Louisville and Adonis out of V-Tech).

Then I'd like to focus on the offensive line. I'd like to sign Weston Richburg from the Giants, as I think he'd be a steal at center with the right contract. An eventually successor to Whitworth is a need. My option is Chukwuma Okorafor out of Western Michigan. I'd also prefer to trade Saffold and use a pick on a successor such as Beau Benzschawel (Wisconsin) if he decides to leave for the NFL this season.

Also, I'd re-sign Watkins to keep our wide receiver depth mostly the same. I'd re-sign Donald to a massive deal because he absolutely deserves it.

Nice.
For now, LT Orlando Brown is my first round draft pick.

I agree on the need for a drafted OLB, just not sure who I like most of whom might fall to the 3'rd round yet. I've got Ebukam penciled in at LOLB, but would like to see some real competition at ROLB between Longacre and a drafted edge rusher.

Besides an edge rusher, we must, imo, bolster our run defense, both at NT and ILB. I'm hoping Wade Phillips' Denver free agent ILB Todd Davis can be brought in. While Tyrunn Walker is good in pass defense, we need a solid run defender in the rotation if Brockers is going to stick mostly at LDE, and so far Tanzel Smart isn't it. Here i'd prefer a lower round draftee to compete with Smart, perhaps another, cheaper, Denver free agent in Billy Winn if he's healthy, and our own practice squad guy, Omarius Bryant.

My 'money' free agent after re-signing Watkins would be New England CB Malcolm Butler replacing Tru Johnson.

I'd think Spencer Long would have the edge on Richburg at Center due to the McVay connection.

Mentioned in previous threads, Quinn & Westbrooks are cut, Saffold & Mannion are traded.

I don't worry over the Aaron Donald contract until the 2018 season is near complete, ... at worst he gets the franchise tag for 2019.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We can discuss this after the SB.

zjn33736z2q93mxzg.jpg

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This will be first year in a long time where I don't start focusing on Villanova basketball in mid November. Nice to have important Ram games still to come.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-draft-needs-for-every-team

2018 NFL Draft, needs for every team
BY STEVE PALAZZOLO

Edge:
The defensive line depth is not where it once was as Robert Quinn has taken a step back as a pass-rusher and they have not replaced the production of departed defensive end William Haynes. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips just came from Denver where he had Von Miller and others dominating off the edge, so look for the Rams to be in the edge defender market this offseason.

RAMNATION

Rookie
I know it's not a "need" position, but you gotta love Jordan Reed TE from Mississippi State. The guy is a monster and he's fast. He's playing in a run first offense and being under utilized.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can't be too invested in the draft at this point in the season, with the Rams leading the division and leading in scoring.

It feels good to not be looking for whatever help Snead can dig up.

One thing that has been kind of fun over the losing years was all of the potential late round and UDFA gold Les may have found. Once a team is playing good football, those types have less chance of sticking on a good roster.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We really need to wait until free agency to really understand what our draft needs will be. I think big Whit may have another year or two left in him.
Well, of course.

But you don't wait to pay down a balloon loan on the day the full amount is due. We have to get his replacement right, and have time to try again if that guy can't adequately replace Whit. After a franchise QB and franchise DT (had to say it!:neener:), you need that excellent LT or the QB will be a dead duck.

jap

Legend
Actually, it's Week Ten. Everyone tends to forget to count the Bye week.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
At the moment, I'm having way too much fun with this bunch of guys - but FWIW, looking back at my notes from pre-season, the O-Line is strong in this draft.

Ants

Starter
I love the draft - so for me, it's never too early! :hiding:

I've been trying to catch some of the more highly regarded college players in recent weeks...but it ain't easy - wifey isn't a football fan. :argue:

As was mentioned, I think the Rams look at OLB, OL, and DB...likely in that order.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love the draft - so for me, it's never too early! :hiding:

I've been trying to catch some of the more highly regarded college players in recent weeks...but it ain't easy - wifey isn't a football fan. :argue:

As was mentioned, I think the Rams look at OLB, OL, and DB...likely in that order.
Which is the best OT available with the 32nd pick? :rockon:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Interesting that you bring up QB....It'll be interesting to see who is drafted to replace Mannion if he can't be re-signed.

Personally, I'm going CB or OL in the first....
Whoa whoa whoa

I’m not the one who signed off on that post Amigo :palm:

I actually agree with OL or CB, just a little surprised you’d waffle so fast :banana:

Ram65

Legend
I would give Saffold and extension. Keep him at LG and he should stay healthy. At some point next year give him 3 more years. He will be the veteran on the offensive line and could help keep Whitworth going for the remaining two years on his deal.

Need pass rushers, NT, CB and offensive line.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's never too early to talk draft...in the draft forum
:seizure:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's never too early to talk draft...in the draft forum
:seizure:
Actually, it was half about Draft position due to a possible Super Bowl run, which is a "now" topic...but whatever...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like Bylthe.
Has been productive and physical when he has been in.
I would not invest a high round pick in the C spot, maybe a mid round pick.
If you draft a center better be in the rear third of the draft! Takes years for OL'ers to get a clue & what they need to do.

Center is a issue in 2018 I would like to hear from a member that thinks otherwise & try to put forth an arguement. Austin Blythe looked good in pre season action & cameo fill in opportunity events @ all 3 interior OL posts but truth is he is average @ best. He is a one step up from a WWC material. However he does have a few things going for himself he played @ Iowa & he is smart! but dinky. Large NT's will eat him up.

Best to utilize salary cap cash to purchase a good well seasoned UFA in March ( John Sullivan or Spencer Long) would be my picks & use most of the 2nd & 3rd day of the the draft for a half dozen outside corners & a safety & find replacements for seriously overpaid OSLB'er Rob Quinn & the 2 other OSLB'er's (Barwin/Longacre) who will be entering free agency in March.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I actually agree with OL or CB, just a little surprised you’d waffle so fast
hmmmm

I don't think you can draft a great QB after pick 18 or so....

If we were drafting in the top (bottom?) 10....my answer would be different....transcendent talent wins in the NFL
I would give Saffold and extension. Keep him at LG and he should stay healthy
jinxed him.....