We have to draft OL early and often... no F/A retreads

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In terms of run blocking, yes, it means nothing.

Dadi Nicolas is a projected 3rd to 4th round pick next year (will go higher if he tests close to where VT claims he can...reportedly posted a 4.4 40 and a 41 inch vertical at VT). Nicolas had 72 tackles, 18.5 TFLs, and 9 sacks in 2014...which topped both Harold and Gregory in all three categories. Anthony Chickillo is a projected 3rd to 4th round pick this year.
I don't see how if the better player plays Right defensive end then how can a blockers exploits on that side not be deemed better? Or rather, how can going against a teams superior player not be more valuable? Whatever Dadi has done, he's not as good as Gregory or Harold, He is not projected to be a starter in the NFL. Chickillo is pretty much the same, but I doubt he gets drafted before the 5th round....Everyone thinks that, except you?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't see how if the better player plays Right defensive end then how can a blockers exploits on that side not be deemed better? Or rather, how can going against a teams superior player not be more valuable? Whatever Dadi has done, he's not as good as Gregory or Harold, He is not projected to be a starter in the NFL. Chickillo is pretty much the same, but I doubt he gets drafted before the 5th round....Everyone thinks that, except you?

Chris Long has played left end for a while, as have a lot of other talented players. Would you say that he wasn't as good as James Hall just because Hall played right defensive end?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Im not sure the perfect fit on the oline lies at 10. That being said, if you waiting to address the oline in the 2nd and 3rd rounds we could come out looking pretty good.

For example:
2nd round: Jake Fisher OT, AJ Cann OG and Laken Tomlinson OG could be targets. Fisher and Cann most likely are not available but you could grab Tomlinson.
3rd round: Tre Jackson OG, Ty Sambrailo OT, Rob Haverstien OT, John Miller OG, Josue Mathias OG. Of this bunch I like Jackson the best.

But if you came away with Tomlinson and Jackson you would have to move Saffold to RT. This would be a worst case IMO but still solid.

Best Case is you get Fisher in round 2 and Jackson in round 3. To me you get two starters and a pretty solid line.
LT Robinson
LG Jackson
C Rhaney/Jones
RG Saffold
RT Fisher

Point is we don't have to go oline in round 1....I think we will but the Guard and Center position is super deep IMO. You can get starters in the 3rd and 4th round. OT is the position I have concerns with in terms of our draft slots.

Where do you think Fisher will select a QB that they say WILL happen? what round 1?2? 3? Does not provide much room here to find Ol'ers.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Where do you think Fisher will select a QB that they say WILL happen? what round 1?2? 3? Does not provide much room here to find Ol'ers.

Great question, and this is just a guess but if they really are going to draft a QB then they would have to trade back in round 1 and grab an extra 2nd or 3rd. I don't think they will draft a QB just to draft one though. If Petty was there in the 3rd they might go that route and grab a Shaq Mason type of G in the 4th. It appears they like Grayson and Petty, just my uneducated opinion.

Ultimately if Foles does not work I don't see a QB in this draft that we can get being any kind of improvement next year, which is why I don't think they will force drafting a QB but if the right guy fell low enough they will grab him. Personally I will be surprised if they draft a QB in the first 3 rounds. But then again Les has stopped taking my calls lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whatever Dadi has done, he's not as good as Gregory or Harold, He is not projected to be a starter in the NFL. Chickillo is pretty much the same, but I doubt he gets drafted before the 5th round....Everyone thinks that, except you?

How would you know? You didn't even know who he was when I talked about him earlier.

As far as him vs. Eli Harold. They played in the same conference and Nicolas outproduced him by quite a bit. So that's certainly debatable.

I don't know why you keep bringing up Gregory. That's not a game I'd reference in support of Flowers.

Everyone thinks that about Chickillo but me? That's quite a claim to make...let me know what his projected round is here:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1860808/anthony-chickillo

There's also this:
Miami DE Anthony Chickillo is "a tough kid who will surprise people," predicts NFL Media analyst Charles Davis.
The analyst added that Chickillo was an "absolute terror in the East-West Shrine Game." We can understand why a sect of evaluators believes Chickillo is a sleeper. He didn't post much in the way of stats in college, but was miscast as a 3-4 defensive end. The 6-foot-3 1/8, 261-pounder is a former five-star prospect who ran an impressive 4.77 40-yard dash with a 10-yard split of 1.59 seconds at the combine. "Someone is going to get a gem in the third or fourth round," Davis previously said.

In fact, I didn't give you my opinion of where he's expected to go. I use NFLDraftScout so I gave you their projection of Chickillo:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119368&draftyear=2015&genpos=DE

I don't see how if the better player plays Right defensive end then how can a blockers exploits on that side not be deemed better? Or rather, how can going against a teams superior player not be more valuable?

Because we were talking about run blocking and the stouter run defender is typically at LDE.

For example, Anthony Chickillo is a far better run defender than either Harold or Gregory.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How would you know? You didn't even know who he was when I talked about him earlier.
Because I saw the video, AND his name hasn't ever been mentioned....and he's not...So what's the point..he's not an elite defender, Gregory & Harold are...

Because we were talking about run blocking and the stouter run defender is typically at LDE.
The BEST player is on the Right side...usually...and best usually means better at run defense & rushing the passer...that's what best player means...I can play this, I know more than you game forever too...you don't know it all, you just know your OPINION...those two guys you named will be fortunate to make it in the league...Gregory & Harold will be top round picks..Going against them constantly makes Flowers better than Clemmings....if he was better, he'd play on the left side...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because I saw the video, AND his name hasn't ever been mentioned....and he's not...So what's the point..he's not an elite defender, Gregory & Harold are...

His name has been mentioned...until he decided not to enter the draft.

In fact, if the guy tested as well as VT claims...or close to that well...it's highly likely he would have been taken in the same range as Eli Harold...maybe higher.

And as I just said, he outproduced Eli Harold while playing in the same conference last year. More tackles, more TFLs, and more sacks.

As stated before, you keep bringing up Gregory but I don't think that's anything worth bragging about. Just look at these plays:
http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253752&gif=ThoroughMeatyIndianrockpython
http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253752&gif=ShorttermEarlyCrab

And you also conveniently don't mention the fact that Gregory spent at least half of that game playing LDE. So Flowers really didn't face off with him that much...and when he did, he typically had help. In fact, there really aren't a lot of examples of Flowers vs. Gregory 1 on 1 in that game.

The BEST player is on the Right side...usually...and best usually means better at run defense & rushing the passer...that's what best player means...I can play this, I know more than you game forever too...you don't know it all, you just know your OPINION...those two guys you named will be fortunate to make it in the league...Gregory & Harold will be top round picks..Going against them constantly makes Flowers better than Clemmings....if he was better, he'd play on the left side...

That's not even remotely logical. Remind me...what side of the OL did Tyron Smith play on at USC?

Those two guys will be fortunate to make it in the league? The two guys you just said this about:
dadi nicolas & anthony chickillo...who?

You want to call me a know-it-all. Fine. But don't get irritated with me because I'm not putting much stock into your evaluations of players you just said that about.

No, the best run defender is not usually at RDE. To back this contention up, here are the top 5 run defending 4-3 DEs as graded by PFF (I don't like PFF grades but it's a measure from an unbiased source):
1. Michael Bennett - LDE
2. Derek Wolfe - LDE
3. Malik Jackson - RDE
4. Red Bryant - LDE
5. William Hayes - LDE

Last edited:

Memento

Name
Jemma

You mean whiffing in pass protection against them constantly?

Again, do you consider James Hall to be a better player than Chris Long? Do you consider Jerry Hughes to be a better player than Mario Williams? Do you consider Elvis Dumervil to be better than Terrell Suggs - a borderline Hall-of-Famer? Is Calais Campbell that much worse than Frostee Rucker? Is Kony Ealy better than Charles Johnson? Is Barkevious Mingo better than Paul Kruger? Is Ezekiel Ansah worse than Jason Jones because he plays on the left side? Is Clay Matthews III worse than the guys who played across him (Nick Perry, for example)? Is J.J. Watt worse than Jared Crick because he plays on the left side? What about Justin Houston being worse than Tamba Hali at the moment because he plays on the left side? Cam Wake must be pretty terrible if he's worse than Olivier Vernon. How about that bum Khalil Mack sucking more than Sio Moore because Khalil can't even hack it on the right side, huh? Fletcher Cox and Connor Barwin must really suck if they're worse than Cedric Thornton and Brandon Graham. Michael Bennett has to suck more than Cliff Avril, since he can't play the right side and Avril can. Add in Ryan Kerrigan as well; he only gets his stats against right tackles. Meanwhile, the great Trent Murphy has to toil against left tackles.

But how about that bust, Chris Long? Couldn't even beat out James Hall for the right end side. How pathetic.

Left side vs. right side has to be the worst argument I've ever heard for rating a player's talent. I just pointed out that most of the premier pass rushers played on the left side in the NFL because the right tackles are so terrible. That's why I want Peat there. That's why I'd rather have Clemmings or Collins there over Scherff and Flowers.

Flowers is not better than Clemmings just because he played left tackle.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
No, the best run defender is not usually at RDE. To back this contention up, here are the top 5 run defending 4-3 DEs as graded by PFF (I don't like PFF grades but it's a measure from an unbiased source):
1. Michael Bennett - LDE
2. Derek Wolfe - LDE
3. Malik Jackson - RDE
4. Red Bryant - LDE
5. William Hayes - LDE
Then why use PFF? Just to try and make a point? I use my eyes, and simply put, some of these guys were moved to certain sides to increase their effectiveness against the pass. But the better player, is the better player...and currently, the trend is to have your best player on the right side defensively, or the offenses left side. The right handed QB's blind side (sure you've seen the movie, right?) So, I see your point, I still say there aren't any sorry players in the pros (although Davin Joseph & Wells really tested me on this), it's all about effort and motivation..Consequently, there are beasts on most defensive lines, but typically, the superior player, on the line, plays on the right...look no further than Robert "baddest man on tha damn team" Quinn.
Curious as to why you believe Eli Harold is some average player? He is far superior to what many think, the few games I saw of Virgina, they have a great defense, and he was balling. All over the field...see my effort comment above. That guy is no joke....
You say Gregory didn't see Flowers but half the game, I say he was in the area most of it, they did run into each other, and Flowers handled himself admirably....Clemmings never touched him. of course, he was on the other side of the line, how could he? In fact, I haven't seen a video of him with any top 10 player..The little I have seen of him versus Davis from Iowa he looked over matched. Seriously...In fact, his blocking reminds me of Jason Smith, the way he's intent on just punching...Not a drive blocker, not physical...Oh, I did see him trying to get rough second level with some DB's or maybe a linebacker/safety, but never with a DE...NEVER.

Flowers is not better than Clemmings just because he played left tackle.
Yes he is...if you think, a billion dollar business pays the most money to the lesser player, you don't understand supply and demand.....The better prospect plays LT in college. The better feet, better coordinated...they want the college QB protected by the better athlete...Typically, the better team (Miami) has better players that get, more or less, drafted higher than the worse team. Exceptions do occur, but generally, in large sample sizes, all things being equal, this is how it happens, year after year, season after season. Most RT's in college typically get moved to guard. A lot of LT's in college get moved to RT, hell, even guard too...Only so many professional spots open, and there are a bunch of college players coming out...EVERY YEAR...Flowers is one of the best, Clemmings is a project...To me, he's a basketball player masquerading as a football player, until proven otherwise.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes he is...if you think, a billion dollar business pays the most money to the lesser player, you don't understand supply and demand.....The better prospect plays LT in college. The better feet, better coordinated...they want the college QB protected by the better athlete...Typically, the better team (Miami) has better players that get, more or less, drafted higher than the worse team. Exceptions do occur, but generally, in large sample sizes, all things being equal, this is how it happens, year after year, season after season. Most RT's in college typically get moved to guard. A lot of LT's in college get moved to RT, hell, even guard too...Only so many professional spots open, and there are a bunch of college players coming out...EVERY YEAR...Flowers is one of the best, Clemmings is a project...To me, he's a basketball player masquerading as a football player, until proven otherwise.

Tyron Smith...enough said.

The funny thing here is that Clemmings very clearly has the better coordination, feet, and movement skills on film. He tested better than Flowers in the 10, 40, and both jumps. He would have tested better than Flowers if Flowers hadn't backed out of the agility drills. He looked far better than Flowers in all the pass protection footwork drills.

Yet, you're claiming that Flowers is better solely because he played LT...despite the fact that Clemmings has a better LT skill-set based on the criteria you just laid out.

If we were to apply your logic to Tyron Smith, he was worse than Anthony Castonzo, Gabe Carimi, Derek Sherrod, and James Carpenter. They all played LT and Tyron didn't.

If Flowers is a better player, it's not because he plays LT. It's because he's a better player. J.J. Watt plays LDE. Does that make Robert Quinn a better player because he plays RDE?

Clemmings is a project. Flowers is a bigger project. Yet, Clemmings is more talented. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I am more than capable of breaking down why that is and showing clips to highlight strengths and weaknesses.

Then why use PFF? Just to try and make a point? I use my eyes, and simply put, some of these guys were moved to certain sides to increase their effectiveness against the pass. But the better player, is the better player...and currently, the trend is to have your best player on the right side defensively, or the offenses left side. The right handed QB's blind side (sure you've seen the movie, right?) So, I see your point, I still say there aren't any sorry players in the pros (although Davin Joseph & Wells really tested me on this), it's all about effort and motivation..Consequently, there are beasts on most defensive lines, but typically, the superior player, on the line, plays on the right...look no further than Robert "baddest man on tha damn team" Quinn.

Why use PFF? Because giving you my opinion was getting nowhere.

Again, you're hung up on pass blocking. We were talking about run blocking. That's where this entire point arose. I'm not talking about pass blocking. I am talking about run blocking.

The superior pass rusher has historically typically played at RDE. The superior run defender (if there was one) typically played LDE. Although, in today's NFL, it's changed quite a bit. For example, there's more mixing with RDEs and LDEs. Some notable LDEs are J.J. Watt, Julius Peppers, Chris Long, Justin Houston (well, LOLB technically), Ryan Kerrigan (LOLB), Sheldon Richardson, Cameron Wake, Charles Johnson, Mario Williams, Ezekiel Ansah, etc.

Curious as to why you believe Eli Harold is some average player? He is far superior to what many think, the few games I saw of Virgina, they have a great defense, and he was balling. All over the field...see my effort comment above. That guy is no joke....

I haven't said he's an average player. I disagreed with your characterization of Nicolas. Who was a more productive player in the same conference and who reportedly tests off the charts athletically.(as I said, VT claims he ran a 4.4 40 with a 41 inch vertical jump)

You say Gregory didn't see Flowers but half the game, I say he was in the area most of it, they did run into each other, and Flowers handled himself admirably....Clemmings never touched him. of course, he was on the other side of the line, how could he? In fact, I haven't seen a video of him with any top 10 player..The little I have seen of him versus Davis from Iowa he looked over matched. Seriously...In fact, his blocking reminds me of Jason Smith, the way he's intent on just punching...Not a drive blocker, not physical...Oh, I did see him trying to get rough second level with some DB's or maybe a linebacker/safety, but never with a DE...NEVER.

In the area most of it? How can he be in the area when Gregory was playing LDE? Oh yes, they ran into each other and Flowers didn't handle it well imo. Gregory started to beat him on a couple of plays and Flowers got help from the HB or LG. And then there was Gregory's sack where the OL slid right and Flowers just didn't block him. And then there were the two plays I linked where Flowers got flat-out beat. Flowers barely faced him 1 on 1. Miami seemed to believe that Flowers needed help against Gregory.

Never with a DE...never?

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11556711

Looks like he pancaked a DE right there.

Memento

Name
Jemma

Are you seriously ignoring everything I just said about all of the players I quoted who are better pass-rushers on the left side than the guys on the right? Clemmings is a much better player than Flowers. The side doesn't matter. At all. There are just as many good pass-rushers from the left side as the right side.

Flowers is everything that I hate in an offensive tackle. Sushi-raw, poor discipline, atrocious technique, awful pass-protection, not good enough of an athlete to make up for any of it (unlike Greg Robinson)

And to tell you the truth? I don't have any clue why you think that Clemmings is a project while Flowers is one of the best when Flowers is even more raw than Clemmings is. If Flowers was at the Senior Bowl, you'd say even worse things about him than Clemmings. I wouldn't touch Flowers as an offensive tackle. In any round. He's even worse than Scherff is, and you know how much I dislike Scherff as a prospect.

Memento

Name
Jemma
The superior pass rusher has historically typically played at RDE. The superior run defender (if there was one) typically played LDE. Although, in today's NFL, it's changed quite a bit. For example, there's more mixing with RDEs and LDEs. Some notable LDEs are J.J. Watt, Julius Peppers, Chris Long, Justin Houston (well, LOLB technically), Ryan Kerrigan (LOLB), Sheldon Richardson, Cameron Wake, Charles Johnson, Mario Williams, Ezekiel Ansah, etc.

I thought that Muhammed Wilkerson played the left side? Although he's probably one of the best 3-4 ends in the game. Not to take away from your overall point, just saying.

I agree completely on everything else, though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought that Muhammed Wilkerson played the left side? Although he's probably one of the best 3-4 ends in the game. Not to take away from your overall point, just saying.

I agree completely on everything else, though.

I think they move them around a lot. So they both probably play LDE. PFF lists Richardson there whereas most sites seem to list Wilkerson there. I just turned on the first few plays of the NE game and Richardson was playing LDT with Wilkerson at LDE the first two plays and then they flipped with Wilkerson at LDT and Richardson at LDE on 3rd down. Don't really feel like watching full games to figure it out haha. So sure...we'll go with Wilkerson then.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
J.J. Watt plays LDE. Does that make Robert Quinn a better player because he plays RDE?
3-4, tomatoe-tAmato. naw, jrry, Iwas staying on pass-pro because you and mento were constantly hyping his problems...where he does struggle...Where he is superior, more than any pure tackle coming out, even Collins whom I believe is the only one in his class in this area, is run/drive blocking. His power in this area is why I can say for certain he'd be the best PRO. You continuously show pics of Clemmings, versus, how shall I say this, inferior competition. Iowa has Davis out there, was he pancaking him? I get it, I said never, you took me literally, I really get it. You and Mento like Clemmings, why? IDK...I showed videos too. Flowers versus similar teams. Now, playing LT is the same as RT...OG is the same as Center...Pretty soon RB will be the same as WR...I bet you like Gordon more than Gurley too? 13 more days...Real GM's, that get paid will show us who THEY think is the better player. Tyron Smith...funny, while I had heard he was a lil thin, never heard him discussed as raw...I also remember Smith playing some LT...may have been moved to RT in his last year...I could be wrong don't quote me...But I saw Smith in college, very good run blocker. I see Flowers, very good run blocker, I see Clemmings, seems a lil soft....JMO...I'll leave it alone..But trust me, I did enjoy this, it's the reason I kept coming back...

Memento

Name
Jemma
3-4, tomatoe-tAmato. naw, jrry, Iwas staying on pass-pro because you and mento were constantly hyping his problems...where he does struggle...Where he is superior, more than any pure tackle coming out, even Collins whom I believe is the only one in his class in this area, is run/drive blocking. His power in this area is why I can say for certain he'd be the best PRO. You continuously show pics of Clemmings, versus, how shall I say this, inferior competition. Iowa has Davis out there, was he pancaking him? I get it, I said never, you took me literally, I really get it. You and Mento like Clemmings, why? IDK...I showed videos too. Flowers versus similar teams. Now, playing LT is the same as RT...OG is the same as Center...Pretty soon RB will be the same as WR...I bet you like Gordon more than Gurley too? 13 more days...Real GM's, that get paid will show us who THEY think is the better player. Tyron Smith...funny, while I had heard he was a lil thin, never heard him discussed as raw...I also remember Smith playing some LT...may have been moved to RT in his last year...I could be wrong don't quote me...But I saw Smith in college, very good run blocker. I see Flowers, very good run blocker, I see Clemmings, seems a lil soft....JMO...I'll leave it alone..But trust me, I did enjoy this, it's the reason I kept coming back...

Um...no. He backed up Charles Brown at left tackle and played special teams only. Then he started at right tackle in his sophomore year. Then he lost out to Matt Kalil and remained at right tackle.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3-4, tomatoe-tAmato. naw, jrry, Iwas staying on pass-pro because you and mento were constantly hyping his problems...where he does struggle...Where he is superior, more than any pure tackle coming out, even Collins whom I believe is the only one in his class in this area, is run/drive blocking.

Flowers? Where does he struggle? Pass pro technique and movement skills. What does he do best? Run blocking. Unfortunately, I do not agree with you about his run blocking prowess. I see Clemmings as a better run blocker. That's not changing.

His power in this area is why I can say for certain he'd be the best PRO. You continuously show pics of Clemmings, versus, how shall I say this, inferior competition. Iowa has Davis out there, was he pancaking him?

No, he wasn't pancaking Davis. Because Carl Davis is a one technique (sometimes plays the two) in Iowa's defense. Clemmings is an Offensive Tackle. That's like expecting Amari Cooper to beat the slot CB when he's lined up outside. You play and win against your man.

I get it, I said never, you took me literally, I really get it. You and Mento like Clemmings, why? IDK...I showed videos too. Flowers versus similar teams. Now, playing LT is the same as RT...OG is the same as Center...Pretty soon RB will be the same as WR...I bet you like Gordon more than Gurley too? 13 more days...Real GM's, that get paid will show us who THEY think is the better player. Tyron Smith...funny, while I had heard he was a lil thin, never heard him discussed as raw...I also remember Smith playing some LT...may have been moved to RT in his last year...I could be wrong don't quote me...

He didn't, my friend. It was the biggest knock on him. He hadn't played LT. Charles Brown started there during Smith's first year starting and then Matt Kalil became the starter after Charles Brown left. Tyron Smith started two years at RT at USC. And no, Tyron Smith wasn't as raw as Clemmings. He was a better and more polished pass blocker and a better overall athlete. Clemmings is more like Duane Brown.

Not at all what I said.

Nope. I like Gurley more than Gordon.

But I saw Smith in college, very good run blocker. I see Flowers, very good run blocker, I see Clemmings, seems a lil soft....JMO...I'll leave it alone..But trust me, I did enjoy this, it's the reason I kept coming back...

I did too. You're certainly entitled to your view. You're not alone in it. I feel differently...and I'm not alone in that either. It's what makes the draft interesting.