We have to draft OL early and often... no F/A retreads

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But teams don't select non prototypes guys to play OT with top ten selections. And this team just moved another non prototype OT to Guard in Saffold. Thus, again with your plan, they might as well move Saffold back out to RT. In fact, he might be a better OT than anyone in this year's draft class fans are calling for the Rams to spend a 1st round pick on.

I think the disconnect here is what we think of Scherff at RT. You seem to think he is going to not have value at RT. I think he's going to be a perennial Pro Bowl player whether he's at LG or RT. If I knew he would be a Pro Bowl OG alone I would take him at 10 no problems. But I think he's more than that. I think he's the safest pick in this draft, so yeah if he's there at 10 and I'm GM I'd have someone sprinting to the podium on draft day.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think the disconnect here is what we think of Scherff at RT. You seem to think he is going to not have value at RT. I think he's going to be a perennial Pro Bowl player whether he's at LG or RT. If I knew he would be a Pro Bowl OG alone I would take him at 10 no problems. But I think he's more than that. I think he's the safest pick in this draft, so yeah if he's there at 10 and I'm GM I'd have someone sprinting to the podium on draft day.
Not a fan of the Pro Bowl popularity contest measuring stick. But yeah, I think he can play RT just like Harvey Dahl could play RT in a pinch. But, by far his best spot in the NFL is going to be at guard, IMO. Just like Rodger Saffold.

BTW, hasn't it been some time since a team spent a top ten pick on a OT that they didn't expect would eventually move to LT? Of course, they might not have been able to make the transition, but as best as I can recall, that's always been the plan. Last one I can think of was Willie Anderson by the Bengals in 1996.

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
I don't buy this idea AT ALL...but I'm not going to debate it. Let's see if the draft proves this point...(y)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW, hasn't it been some time since a team spent a top ten pick on a OT that they didn't expect would eventually move to LT? Of course, they might not have been able to make the transition, but as best as I can recall, that's always been the plan. Last one I can think of was Willie Anderson by the Bengals in 1996.

Keep in mind that this is by all reports not a deep draft. The rule of thumb to follow in deep drafts (don't draft guys limited to RT or OG in the top 10) may not apply this year. If when the Rams' pick comes up and they can either draft a player who doesn't fit the Rams' system, is way overdrafted, or is the top OL but NOT a LT, they may have to go with option 3, and get the best OL in the draft but not a guy who is going to be more than a decent RT or a very good OG.

It's good to have standards - but reality has to step in too.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Keep in mind that this is by all reports not a deep draft. The rule of thumb to follow in deep drafts (don't draft guys limited to RT or OG in the top 10) may not apply this year. If when the Rams' pick comes up and they can either draft a player who doesn't fit the Rams' system, is way overdrafted, or is the top OL but NOT a LT, they may have to go with option 3, and get the best OL in the draft but not a guy who is going to be more than a decent RT or a very good OG.

It's good to have standards - but reality has to step in too.

BTW, I wouldn't say that all reports say that this is not a deep draft. Just like every year, it really depends upon the positional focus. But, either way, I'd hope that reality would tell anyone that even if a draft is considered not deep overall, it's got to be deeper than just the first 10 picks.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW, I wouldn't say that all reports say that this is not a deep draft. Just like every year, it really depends upon the positional focus. But, either way, I'd hope that reality would tell anyone that even if a draft is considered not deep overall, it's got to be deeper than just the first 10 picks.

Sure. But the point is that the rule of thumb not to draft a RT or OG that high is dependent on there being more elite prospects - and there is serious doubt about that. The reports I've seen tend to say that after fairly early in the draft the prospects all are too iffy to be considered elite in a normal year. That doesn't mean none will become stars - some will - just that the risk is higher than normal for that spot in the draft. At which point a player likely to be a very good player at a less elite position makes more sense, even relatively early in the draft.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm sure Snisher will draft who they think is the BPA at 10, just as they have done in recent years in Round 1, it's rounds 2 and 3 they start getting funky with their picks ;)

If Scherff is there at 10, and he's BPA then I suggest we draft him, shoring up the o-line is an essential part of a winning season, our offense is OK, not great, just OK, but we have a hole or 2...

I look at it this way with the Rams:

QB: we're now set with Foles here, I can't see us going after a QB early (this year) unless one of the top 2 guys drop to 10.
RB: we're stacked here at the moment, with some good young guys finding their feet
WR: again happy with whats in the cupboard here (again if a White or Cooper drop to 10 I say we select them)
Oline: now this is a different kettle of fish, we have holes to fill, we have to draft for theses needs - we could do with a guard and/or OT to fill the roster holes, let alone play!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
FA has changed the game...you gotta build through the draft..your scouting department needs to become better...overpaying for garbage has killed us the last 3 years

Memphis Ram

Legend
Sure. But the point is that the rule of thumb not to draft a RT or OG that high is dependent on there being more elite prospects - and there is serious doubt about that. The reports I've seen tend to say that after fairly early in the draft the prospects all are too iffy to be considered elite in a normal year. That doesn't mean none will become stars - some will - just that the risk is higher than normal for that spot in the draft. At which point a player likely to be a very good player at a less elite position makes more sense, even relatively early in the draft.
I see what you are saying in general, but I disagree that it applies the positions being discussed (RT, OG) in this draft class, any possible need for them to be elite, and the team's high draft position.

BTW, the depth that I've seen questioned (again position dependent) has been in regards to day three and in comparison to last year. Not the first 3 rounds.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Im not sure the perfect fit on the oline lies at 10. That being said, if you waiting to address the oline in the 2nd and 3rd rounds we could come out looking pretty good.

For example:
2nd round: Jake Fisher OT, AJ Cann OG and Laken Tomlinson OG could be targets. Fisher and Cann most likely are not available but you could grab Tomlinson.
3rd round: Tre Jackson OG, Ty Sambrailo OT, Rob Haverstien OT, John Miller OG, Josue Mathias OG. Of this bunch I like Jackson the best.

But if you came away with Tomlinson and Jackson you would have to move Saffold to RT. This would be a worst case IMO but still solid.

Best Case is you get Fisher in round 2 and Jackson in round 3. To me you get two starters and a pretty solid line.
LT Robinson
LG Jackson
C Rhaney/Jones
RG Saffold
RT Fisher

Point is we don't have to go oline in round 1....I think we will but the Guard and Center position is super deep IMO. You can get starters in the 3rd and 4th round. OT is the position I have concerns with in terms of our draft slots.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
While he may not have the speed & footwork of Peat, who is likely the only legitimate LT candidate early in the draft, again, I feel his skills far exceed what we have seen with Barksdale in pass pro, especially his lateral movement. And Peat isn't seen as much of a run blocker by comparison either.
I think Ereck Flowers will be the best tackle in this draft, not sure why everyone is assuming he's reached his ceiling, when in fact he's only 20 and has probably started only 20 games or so...I also feel good about Humphries too...But would take a flier on Donovan Smith in the 2nd or 3rd round....We need a legitimate Right Tackle...
Peat seems like a plodder, with a serious lack of physicality. Until I see one different, I will refuse to believe in Stanford's line players to become physical in the NFL...Barksdale basically turned Davis' season around by becoming a turnstile after game 7...

The Rams would have a dead quarterback with Scherff or Flowers at right tackle.
If they survived Barksdale (barely) I doubt they'd be much worse...In fact, I believe both would do much better. I still doubt the ability of Scherff to play tackle in the NFL at a high level. Another guy who I see that can move, but as far a being physical, don't see that at all. Short arms, with fast feet = Offensive guard....

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I think Ereck Flowers will be the best tackle in this draft, not sure why everyone is assuming he's reached his ceiling, when in fact he's only 20 and has probably started only 20 games or so...I also feel good about Humphries too...But would take a flier on Donovan Smith in the 2nd or 3rd round....We need a legitimate Right Tackle...
Peat seems like a plodder, with a serious lack of physicality. Until I see one different, I will refuse to believe in Stanford's line players to become physical in the NFL...Barksdale basically turned Davis' season around by becoming a turnstile after game 7...

If they survived Barksdale (barely) I doubt they'd be much worse...In fact, I believe both would do much better. I still doubt the ability of Scherff to play tackle in the NFL at a high level. Another guy who I see that can move, but as far a being physical, don't see that at all. Short arms, with fast feet = Offensive guard....

My concern with Flowers is his footwork. I don't even know where to start with him its so bad. He is very good in the run game but pass pro is another story all together. He has no idea what to do with his hands in pass pro either. I agree on Humphries but ultimately think Clemmings will emerge as the best OT in this class.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
think Clemmings will emerge as the best OT in this class.
I have watched a game after game where Clemmings looked dominant...then was exposed to his practices in the senior bowl where he looked over matched....and he HAS great footwork...how can a guy with great footwork get better in pass pro? Looks like he has problems when engaged with great athletes like himself...don't know how he'll survive in the pros...

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I have watched a game after game where Clemmings looked dominant...then was exposed to his practices in the senior bowl where he looked over matched....and he HAS great footwork...how can a guy with great footwork get better in pass pro? Looks like he has problems when engaged with great athletes like himself...don't know how he'll survive in the pros...

If I remember correctly he practiced at LT at the SR bowl. He played RT all year so for a kid who played on the right side and new to the Oline I can see how he could struggle at the SR bowl. This is a kid that is still new to the position and still learning. By all accounts he is a hard worker who puts in the time. He has got all the measurable and the film is very good. I am not going to drop a guy because he had a bad week of practice.

He definitely is not the perfect prospect but I do believe with the right coaching and his effort he will be successful. It may take him a year to adapt, but I think he will be a real good player. He had such a great year and I have to stick with my gut instinct on this kid. Yes, I agree I started getting concerned after the SR bowl, but then think back to what I seen from him all year lol.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we go wrong if we don't grab at least one FA. We have no depth on the line as it is and starting the year with 60% of the line having never played in the NFL is just asking for growing pains. Our situation has become dire.
I don't want to sound like all doom and gloom, but I agree with the dire description.

At this oint in time, we have one - I repeat... one - established above average offensive lineman (Saffold). Everyone else on the roster is either below average or very - I repeat... very - thin on actual NFL game day experience.

The free ageny options have now dwindled down to perhaps Barksdale - to be generous, I'll call him average.

That means they will be left to building depth and trying find starters through the 2015 draft.

It is possible that three of the starters on the line are rookies.

Yes, it's possible they come in and rarely get "used" by experienced NFL defensive linemen... but I think we all know that rarely happens and counting on that as a solution is risky.

With each passing day, I become more and more concerned about that Oline... and it is critical to the success of the offense and, by design, the team.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I'd rather have Joe Barksdale on stilts and blindfolded at right tackle than Scherff or Flowers. I'm dead serious.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd rather have Joe Barksdale on stilts and blindfolded at right tackle than Scherff or Flowers. I'm dead serious.

50cent-gif.gif

Alan

Legend
Memento :eek::
I'd rather have Joe Barksdale on an overdose of Acetaminophen at right tackle than those two, Alan. Dead serious again.
I'm in favor of signing JB but why do you dislike this year's crop of OTs so much? Plus, why do you prefer rotting shrooms?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm in favor of signing JB but why do you dislike this year's crop of OTs so much? Plus, why do you prefer rotting shrooms?

I only dislike Scherff and Flowers. Peat, Collins, Clemmings, Sambrailo, hell, even Fisher and Darryl Williams I like. I don't like either of those two at right tackle because of their atrocious pass-protection. When I said that the team who put them at tackle would have a dead quarterback on their hands, I was only exaggerating a bit. The quarterback wouldn't die, but I guarantee that they'd be out for the season within the first three games. Good run blockers, atrocious pass-protectors. If I want a tackle, I want them to be able to pass-protect.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't want to sound like all doom and gloom, but I agree with the dire description.

At this oint in time, we have one - I repeat... one - established above average offensive lineman (Saffold). Everyone else on the roster is either below average or very - I repeat... very - thin on actual NFL game day experience.

The free ageny options have now dwindled down to perhaps Barksdale - to be generous, I'll call him average.

That means they will be left to building depth and trying find starters through the 2015 draft.

It is possible that three of the starters on the line are rookies.

Yes, it's possible they come in and rarely get "used" by experienced NFL defensive linemen... but I think we all know that rarely happens and counting on that as a solution is risky.

With each passing day, I become more and more concerned about that Oline... and it is critical to the success of the offense and, by design, the team.

Exactly right. It has reached the point that maybe we will have a decent OL but it appears overwhelmingly like we will be fielding whatever we pick up and that is a terrible plan. This is the type of thing that could mean the difference not just of 1 or 2 games but likely 5, 6, or more games which is very scary in the NFL.