WCO changes and next season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/08/politi_rutgers_frank_cignetti.html

^^^ I've included the article link above that most of us read some months ago as a refresher for some of the stuff I wanted to discuss here.

Ok so Fish mentioning the "offensive changes" the other day is something that I've been thinking about, and it's something we haven't discussed too much since most of it has been along the lines of blaming Schotty or defending him moreso than the way forward with Cigs. As I understand things right now the following are true:

1. The Rams' terminology is going to be simplified however not change completely.
2. The offense will "get the ball out faster" to quote Fish.
3. Cignetti's system is WCO, but he uses the Coryell terminology.
4. Schotty's system had additional terminology.

So the obvious translation is I expect that Cigs is going to run an offense that looks like Green Bay's with multiple wideouts spreading the field horizontally as this fits what Fish mentioned about getting the ball out quicker along with Cigs' background and preferences.

I expect the wideouts to play faster since guys like Austin struggled with terminology in terms of not playing fast. If they're not thinking, they are going to play faster and that should translate to an extent with all of them although I would expect Austin to be the most notable one to benefit because the pre-snap movement is going to cause defensive breakdowns and favorable matchups where defenses won't be able to focus him. Right behind him is Bailey who I have extremely high expectations for.

I expect RBs will be more involved in the passing game. IMO the guy who will benefit most is Pead. Of course Mason is going to be the featured back and he has the tools to excel in that type of offense. But Pead is going to have the opportunity to matter again, because the dude has skills as a receiver out of the backfield. Odd man out is probably Stacy. He already fell out of favor IMO due to being dinged up but he's just not a great fit for a speed-related attack. Could he be the late in the game hammer in the running game? Sure, but Mason does that too and they have Cunningham who has the size and more speed.

The OL might be affected too. While I don't think the blocking scheme is going to change or anything crazy like that there is a chance the OG they select has some mobility vice just being a mauler. Granted Cigs probably isn't going to have the QB scrambling all around with bootlegs like you often see with the WCO however there will probably be more movement since it's a tendency of the scheme.

QB is interesting because both of the backups are smaller guys with arms that favor that type of short passing game. Foles of course is capable of running that type of scheme at a solid level at least but again the depth options really benefit.

Lastly the TEs. The TE position being used as possession receivers is always a big deal in the WCO and the Rams ponied up the cashish to bring Kendricks back. I can't help but think they're a big part of the passing attack next year.

Oh and btw these are some pretty decent passing game weapons overall in my estimation:

* Cook
* Kendricks
* Austin
* Bailey
* Britt

Not even considering Quick coming back and taking up where he left off last year, I think that is enough to have an average offense. Honestly I think this offense could be extremely good next year IF they fix the OL.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
WOW, that is a well thought and and through post @Merlin, however, here are three things I would like to see from the changes in the WCO.

1. Better Half Time Adjustments
  2. More Points Scored
  3. One of the Ram Cheerleaders getting naked...As I digress.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
While I respect your process, I disagree with your conclusion. Cignetti himself stressed running the ball as imperative. Fisher spoke of how integral Kenricks is to the plan. I believe we will see more two and three tight end sets than spread concepts. That does not preclude quicker throws. JMO