Wagoner: Rams Get Healthy in Defensive Backfield

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner says the team’s defense against the pass should improve as players return. They gave up huge yardage vs. SF and Seattle but Tru Johnson and Brandon McGee are close to returning.

Watch Wagoner's Rams DB Report

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Tru Jo against KC would be awesome. But I do kinda wonder what's at the heart of these pass defense problems. It's not EJ Gaines, who is playing lights out right now. Is it the newness of the scheme? The fit of the scheme? Just a bad scheme? Just too many breakdowns for it to be just a player problem. And blitzing more is not helping, it just seems to make it less likely for us to get offensive holding calls. There was a 3rd and 17 that Seattle converted with ease. I mean, that should never happen, and they made it look easy. 3rd and 8 should be a very difficult conversion.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Tru Jo against KC would be awesome. But I do kinda wonder what's at the heart of these pass defense problems. It's not EJ Gaines, who is playing lights out right now. Is it the newness of the scheme? The fit of the scheme? Just a bad scheme? Just too many breakdowns for it to be just a player problem. And blitzing more is not helping, it just seems to make it less likely for us to get offensive holding calls. There was a 3rd and 17 that Seattle converted with ease. I mean, that should never happen, and they made it look easy. 3rd and 8 should be a very difficult conversion.
Maybe the scheme can't be used to its full potential because Gaines (or Jenkins for that matter) don't grasp it completely. You are right that there are too many variables but adding a different puzzle piece could definitely fix it.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

I think the biggest part of the problem might be the guy who is supposed to be the best corner...Jenkins has been awful too much of the time., I think..The end of the half touchdown when he seemingly decided to jump a route with less than half a minute left and 80 yards from pay dirt (not to mention he was on an island at the time) was just the kind of crap he seems to bite on way too often...Gambling/guessing isn't
always a bad thing, but you really have to pick your spots and not try it at stupid times...I like Tru and hope getting him back settles down the secondary some...Even if JJ should have had help over the top, he still can't make that bone-headed play...None of the corners are so good that they can afford to try and play hero...They just need to play solid fundamental football...And yeah, Williams has to help them by calming down his defensive calls...OK, I'll quit for now... I guess War and Peace was only 12 pages longer than my mini-rant...

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think the biggest part of the problem might be the guy who is supposed to be the best corner...Jenkins has been awful too much of the time., I think..The end of the half touchdown when he seemingly decided to jump a route with less than half a minute left and 80 yards from pay dirt (not to mention he was on an island at the time) was just the kind of crap he seems to bite on way too often...Gambling/guessing isn't
always a bad thing, but you really have to pick your spots and not try it at stupid times...I like Tru and hope getting him back settles down the secondary some...Even if JJ should have had help over the top, he still can't make that bone-headed play...None of the corners are so good that they can afford to try and play hero...They just need to play solid fundamental football...And yeah, Williams has to help them by calming down his defensive calls...OK, I'll quit for now... I guess War and Peace was only 12 pages longer than my mini-rant...
"awful too much of the time" i do not agree. Jenkins had one bad play this season, other than that play he's been stellar. I think the issues on this team has been coverage schemes and communication. Against Seattle we played off coverage to prevent the deep ball, but short throws and poor tackling lead to big gains. Against SF our coverage couldn't hold against Kap, also both corners gave up big TDs in 1-on-1 coverage. In the dallas/philly game we played well aside from one big play, which was a result of a communication breakdown.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Most of the communication issues (since that is what they seem to want to call it), have come from the Safety position. All to often the guy jumping underneath routes, and exposing the secondary has been McLeod. Yes, Jenkins made a big mistake on the deep ball at the end of the 1st half. But given they were supposed to be in a Cover 3 zone, the FS cannot jump an underneath crossing route. When the MLB is the closest thing to deep support, it was a total breakdown.

From where I am sitting, the CB play has been the least of the issues with this defense this far. They sell out to stop the run, with McDonald being the guy in the box who makes more plays then the LBs do. The pass rush has been a non factor, mainly due to the fact that teams know they have to game plan to get the ball out quick. McLeod has made a few nice reads, but for all those saying Jenkins "gambles" too much, it pales by comparison to the times McLeod has guessed right and actually made a play.

Getting Johnson back will certainly help, but to say he is the best cover CB might be a case of wishful thinking. One thing that could come of it, is Joyner getting some work at FS while Gaines slides inside to the Nickel CB spot. And while that may be even more wishful thinking, especially since it would mean having two rookies on the field in those situations, it could go a long way in solving many of these issues.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It's a combination...pass rush, letting the QB scramble for time...missed tackles after completions, blitzing, 3rd downs....it's so many things, leads me to think scheme is the overlying cause, with lack of skills/talent....we play more off coverage than any pressure defense I've seen...JJ should be able to play bump & run 80% of the time...he's tackling better than ever, but actual PBU's...doubt he's in the top of the corners....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What makes GW really good is when his players have that understanding of his scheme and play at a high level executing it. Rams are still in the "Whoops" stage for whatever reason, and that is what is hurting the production. I had hoped that wouldn't happen, however, losing one of your two CBs who have real experience can contribute to that.

Then you have the safeties, which are used very aggressively by GW. It's a far cry from how they were used last season, and there is obviously an adjustment there. It sucks, and we can rant about GW all we want, but don't be surprised if at some point our defense is much more dynamic and dangerous than it's been in a long time once it all starts clicking with all of the guys in the secondary.

Anyway, I'm firmly in the camp that getting Tru back is huge. Might not show his first game back, but after a few games this defense will definitely feel his return in a positive way.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
How do we know that Tru is gong to grasp the new defense any better than the guys that have been playing it for the last six games?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
How do we know that Tru is gong to grasp the new defense any better than the guys that have been playing it for the last six games?

Because he's been studying for 6 games... :sneaky:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
It's a combination...pass rush, letting the QB scramble for time...missed tackles after completions, blitzing, 3rd downs....it's so many things, leads me to think scheme is the overlying cause, with lack of skills/talent....we play more off coverage than any pressure defense I've seen...JJ should be able to play bump & run 80% of the time...he's tackling better than ever, but actual PBU's...doubt he's in the top of the corners....
I agree with much of what you listed as reasons for the struggles.

But this part about playing off coverage, I think is a direct correlation to how much they have blitzed, because the pass rush just hasn't been able to get there on its own. If they are gonna blitz, they are forced to play off coverage. It's one thing to give up a quick slant in front of the coverage, than to get beat off the LOS with zero help over the top due to the blitz. If you look at any of the schematics of Williams defense, or most for that matter, when they are blitzing heavy, you will see the CBs giving a cushion.

The time to play press, is when you can ensure you have over the top help, and can get pressure from your front, forcing teams to force the ball before they want to. This team isn't ever going to play predominantly straight man coverage. What I would like to see, is more combination coverages, but you have to factor in the youth of those playing in the secondary. They are already having "communication" issues as it is. Making things even more complex might not be the best way to go.

Last edited:

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Pretty simple really. Great corners, and shitty Safeties and (coverage) linebackers.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Does Nick Wagner seriously think Brandon McGee is going to make any difference in the secondary? He will be a special teams exclusive barring injuries.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I am really hoping we tryout Joyner at FS, his skillset is perfect for it IMO, and like CoachO said sliding Gaines into slot CB might improve the defense dramatically. Add in CLong and I think we can field an improved defense.