Wagoner: Does G. Robinson need to start for the Rams Week 5?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
What did we learn about the Rams next 2 opponents during yesterday’s Eagles/49ers game? ESPN.com Rams Insider Nick Wagoner talks with Randy Karraker and D’Marco Farr on 101ESPN about that and who should be starting at QB.

Listen to Wagoner Talk Rams

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Yes yes and yes.
How could he be possible worse than Joseph. Robinson could mistake a run play for a pass play and still do a better job than him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think they're handling the whole thing well. Obviously GRob is a little more raw than they realized, which I think is a true statement given their attempt to "plug him in" at LG. When that was obviously not an immediate option, they throttled back and I am sure Coach Bou is working him.

The OL is very well coached. I have enormous faith in Boudreau. If he wants GRob on the bench, that's where the guy should be. And the key is that this OL is starting to come together quite well the past couple games, so leave well enough alone for now.

When GRob finally does get into this lineup, this OL is gonna have some SERIOUS punch in the running game. But I can wait for now, because I am greatly enjoying the pass protection that Davis is getting.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes yes and yes.
How could he be possible worse than Joseph. Robinson could mistake a run play for a pass play and still do a better job than him.

How? By getting confused by blitzes and blowing assignments. As much as we all give Joseph shit, the guy doesn't screw up on every single play. You can do worse than Joseph...a lot worse. I think some of you are forgetting Quinn Ojinnaka.

TexasRam

Legend
How? By getting confused by blitzes and blowing assignments. As much as we all give Joseph crap, the guy doesn't screw up on every single play. You can do worse than Joseph...a lot worse. I think some of you are forgetting Quinn Ojinnaka.
Unfortunately I can't get QO out of my permanent memory.

But count me in on the Grob bandwagon. I think 5 weeks is enough time to get him up to speed. Especially since Joseph isnt a world beater out there. Selfishly I want to see our Run game take off.

girl-watching-the-clock-at-work.jpg

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
How? By getting confused by blitzes and blowing assignments. As much as we all give Joseph crap, the guy doesn't screw up on every single play. You can do worse than Joseph...a lot worse. I think some of you are forgetting Quinn Ojinnaka.

I was taking the Micky mate, slight exaggeration

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I trust the coaching staff on this because if they felt Robinson gave them the best chance to win, he'd be out there. Now would all of us feel better that the number one pick was not only starting, but thriving as well? Absolutely, however, IMO we'll see Robinson sooner rather than later.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Obviously GRob is a little more raw than they realized

I hope to god that this is not the case. I knew he was very raw in pass protection and I didn't get to work him out, or see all of his game tape. If they didn't realize, which I am beginning to think may be the case then they need to reevaluate their evaluation process.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that they panicked when they thought that Long might not play early on so they tried to make Robinson the answer at both guard and tackle. This just made it to where GRob didn't get up to speed at either position so they had to throttle back and let him work at just guard.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I trust the coaching staff on this because if they felt Robinson gave them the best chance to win, he'd be out there. Now would all of us feel better that the number one pick was not only starting, but thriving as well? Absolutely, however, IMO we'll see Robinson sooner rather than later.

Agree with all of this! And given our OL's recent history, Robinson will be in soon enough. I'm hoping he isn't forced in too early by attrition, but if he is, the more prepared, the better. His time will come - he is not Jason Smith

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Why can't it be that the vet just has more at this point to offer, is picking up the blocking assignments better , that the rest of the line communicates better with Joseph, this doesn't have to be a negative on GROB as in he's raw.
IMO at this point the press is looking for an issue to beat the drum about and are finding a constituency that is always ready to question coaches to help create the furor.

FOR THE LIFE of ME ,I can't imagine why anyone would want a player on the field that the coaches aren't ready to play, I won't even wonder nor worry about GROB until we have an injury at guard and he isn't inserted ,and even then,I'll still figure it's his pass blocking and if they think that part of his game is a liability,I seriously doubt it means he won't get it

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately I can't get QO out of my permanent memory.

But count me in on the Grob bandwagon. I think 5 weeks is enough time to get him up to speed. Especially since Joseph isnt a world beater out there. Selfishly I want to see our Run game take off.

Well, that's great but in the end, it's what the coaches think and know that will dictate when he gets on the field. We don't have the facts to determine whether he's ready or not.

Mick

Pro Bowler
I hope to god that this is not the case. I knew he was very raw in pass protection and I didn't get to work him out, or see all of his game tape. If they didn't realize, which I am beginning to think may be the case then they need to reevaluate their evaluation process.
Those in charge of the evaluation have been sacked.....those in charge of evaluating the evaluators have also been sacked...

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'm chomping at the bit to see Robinson running over blockers in the run game, but if the coaches don't feel he's ready, then there's obviously a very good reason for it.

Robinson will get his chance this season.

Does it matter if Robinson doesn't play at all this year? We have him for 4 years, we're always being told that you don't use a draft pick for a player's rookie season. Is there a point at which we can/should worry?

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I'm chomping at the bit to see Robinson running over blockers in the run game, but if the coaches don't feel he's ready, then there's obviously a very good reason for it.

Robinson will get his chance this season.
most of us want the best players in the game. with the extra time the bye week gives us some of us are just hope grob has progressed to being best player available.