Wagoner Chat Highlights: Watkins Plays Like His Hair Is On Fire

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner Chat Highlights

—I think I’ve written it before but Sammy Watkins plays like his hair is on fire all the time which is one of the things that sets him apart from other WRs in the eyes of scouts. FSU’s LaMarcus Joyner is a guy like that, Wisconsin’s Chris Borland is a guy like that, Aaron Donald is a guy like that. That’s just off the top of my head of guys I’ve watched who look like they bring it on every snap.

—Ray Sherman has a longer track record of success than he does of failure. The development of the young wideouts the past two years has been disappointing but that is still an awfully young group and you don’t often see young receivers come in and make a huge impact. That said, the Rams need to get more out of the wideouts they have. Not to make an excuse for that, either, but it’s important to remember those young wideouts didn’t have their starting QB for most of last season. This year will be a better referendum on his ability to develop young wideouts. I guarantee you the Rams aren’t thinking that they’d pass on Watkins for this reason which is all that really matters. Not saying they’re taking him but if they didn’t think he was capable, he wouldn’t be there. We’ve seen that with the DC position two years in a row, for example.

—Interest in Manziel? It’s so easy to write or say there are “whispers” of something. It’s not even citing a source or who is doing the whispering. I’m not saying the Rams don’t have interest in Manziel, I haven’t really been able to get a feel for what they think of the top QBs but they have been steadfast both publicly and privately in saying they’re committed to Bradford. Something like that playing out would register as a huge, huge surprise.

—While I’ve said I would take Watkins, I don’t have any problem with Robinson or Matthews or Clowney as the pick, either. I do disagree with the idea of taking a wideout later unless it’s someone like Evans, who has true No. 1 potential. The Rams have enough guys that aren’t that type.

—I think there’s a noticeable drop off after the top 3 OT’s but I don’t think it means a guy like Martin can’t succeed right away, either. I think the Rams like Martin and he could absolutely help them in year one. But Robinson, Matthews and Lewan would all have gone before the top tackles last year, if that’s any indication. I’m with you on the strategy but not so sure that’s how the Rams view it. Maybe Watkins puts on a show today that makes him too good to pass up?

—Johnny Football? As regular readers here know, I never say never. This is the NFL and this is the most secretive thing these teams do. But I’d put the chances of that happening as close to zero as possible without saying never.

—I’d be shocked if they took two wideouts again, especially in the first and second rounds but I do think Watkins is in play. They could be trying to deke everyone but the private workout plus the pre-draft visit usually indicates real interest. And as I wrote after they signed Kenny Britt, that to me indicates they believe they need an upgrade at wideout. Which would point to one of those top guys being in play.

—If they go back down the vet route for another guard, my guess is Harvey Dahl could be brought back. But I wouldn’t expect anything until after the draft when they can take stock of what they have at every position.

—I don’t understand the fascination with moving Johnson to safety. Look, the Rams need help at corner and safety, if you draft a corner and move him to safety, you again have a need at corner. Plus, bigger corners are becoming en vogue in the league and they’re hard to find. If Johnson can continue to develop, that’s a really nice asset to have to compete with the bigger receivers around the league. Of the top three tackles, Lewan is the one that would most likely have to play tackle right away. It’s possible Barksdale could play guard, you probably read it here that he did some work on his own last offseason in trying to get familiar with the position. But he’s never done it in practice or team setting with the Rams.

—To my knowledge, the Rams haven’t hosted the top safeties but that doesn’t mean they haven’t. Right now, the list is incomplete and the Rams don’t release their visits and not all agents are willing to share where their clients visit. If they haven’t visited, it’s mildly surprising but it’s also indicative of nothing. Plenty of players visit every year that don’t get drafted and teams draft plenty of players that don’t visit.

—Mack at #2? By my own admission, I’ve been something of a hypocrite on this one, previously saying that I didn’t see the fit because he wouldn’t be on the field enough. But if I can make the argument that the Rams would find ways to use Clowney then I think we have to be open minded they could do the same with Mack. And the Rams have showed at least some interest in Mack by having him visit. Mack is probably best suited in a 3-4 but that doesn’t mean the Rams couldn’t use him or that he couldn’t succeed in St. Louis. I would be surprised if they used the No. 2 pick on Mack but I’m not going to unilaterally throw him out as a possibility especially in a year when the Rams have played everything so close to the vest.

—On Mack at 2, I take everything I hear with a grain of salt. As I mentioned earlier, Mack might be a little off the beaten path but you can’t rule out the possibility entirely. As for Ogletree, there were many of us who got wind of the Rams’ interest in him and wrote about it before it happened. The Rams are playing this one a bit closer to the vest, it seems.

—I’d still be quite surprised if the Rams used a first-round pick on a DT. Although I can see how Donald would fit in the defense. Again, it’d be silly to rule him out but I don’t expect them to go that way.

—Jake Long Top 5 OT? Top five? I don’t really know because I can’t say I watched every LT in the league last year. But I’ll say this: when the Rams went more run-heavy, Long was much, much more effective and comfortable. He’s an outstanding run blocker and plenty of the Rams’ rushing success was behind him. It’d be dishonest to try to rank him against a crop of tackles I didn’t see play but I thought he had a good year all things considered.

—Draft A RB? Two things: 1. Taking an RB with an early pick isn’t something most teams seem to be considering these days. The Rams already have a starter at RB so drafting an RB early would seem to be too early, right? 2. The Rams have a lot of faith in Benny Cunningham to be the No. 2 back. Another year removed from injury, he could be better in 2014. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rams took a back somewhere in the draft. I would be surprised if it happened before the fourth or fifth round.

—Robinson or Matthews? I prefer Robinson for the simple fact that if the Rams want to be a run-first offense, he makes a ton of sense. And, as you point out, he can probably be a difference maker at guard right away. But let’s be clear, I still think Matthews would be an excellent choice.

Read Complete Wagoner Highlights

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I fail to see how someone could play effectively if their hair was on fire. Even more troubling is someone who plays like their hair is on fire. What does it say about that persons mental health? I would imagine the Rams and a lot of other NFL teams have taken him off their boards if this is the case.

Sad and alarming.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
—Mack at #2? By my own admission, I’ve been something of a hypocrite on this one, previously saying that I didn’t see the fit because he wouldn’t be on the field enough. But if I can make the argument that the Rams would find ways to use Clowney then I think we have to be open minded they could do the same with Mack. And the Rams have showed at least some interest in Mack by having him visit. Mack is probably best suited in a 3-4 but that doesn’t mean the Rams couldn’t use him or that he couldn’t succeed in St. Louis. I would be surprised if they used the No. 2 pick on Mack but I’m not going to unilaterally throw him out as a possibility especially in a year when the Rams have played everything so close to the vest.
Bingo.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I wish these guys would spend their time talking to current players and get some perspective on what they think the Rams should do! Would be better reading and real reporting! This is getting old!

RFIP

"While I’ve said I would take Watkins, I don’t have any problem with Robinson or Matthews or Clowney as the pick, either. I do disagree with the idea of taking a wideout later unless it’s someone like Evans, who has true No. 1 potential. The Rams have enough guys that aren’t that type."

Wagoner is dead on here, except I would ADD Evans to the list and have it exclusive to Watkins ONLY.

I fail to see how someone could play effectively if their hair was on fire. Even more troubling is someone who plays like their hair is on fire. What does it say about that persons mental health? I would imagine the Rams and a lot of other NFL teams have taken him off their boards if this is the case.

Sad and alarming.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Pertaining to his comments about fans fascination with moving Johnson to Safety....I recall when I and a few other fans thought that Saffold would be better at Guard a few years ago and JT poo pooing it away in his chat.

The Rams might not be considering this but I find it annoying that these writers disregard the fans ideas so easily. In the information age fans are smarter and more informed than in the past.

Memphis Ram

Legend
"While I’ve said I would take Watkins, I don’t have any problem with Robinson or Matthews or Clowney as the pick, either. I do disagree with the idea of taking a wideout later unless it’s someone like Evans, who has true No. 1 potential. The Rams have enough guys that aren’t that type."

Wagoner is dead on here, except I would ADD Evans to the list and have it exclusive to Watkins ONLY.

IMO, Wagoner is dead off and has probably paid little attention to the rest of the draft class.