Virtual reality training for quarterbacks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I thought that's what Madden is for? :sneaky:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ns-virtual-reality-training-for-quarterbacks/

Asshole Face envisions virtual reality training for quarterbacks
Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2015

vr.jpg
Getty Images

During multiple coach and G.M. interviews at the Scouting Combine, I spitballed about the possibility of the NFL eventually developing a flight simulator-style approach to preparing quarterbacks for game reps. For a change, the spitball stuck to the wall.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UjxQjM7dp4

Appearing on a panel at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, Saints coach Asshole Face suggested that a tool like that could be in the offing.

“The challenge we have all the time is that it’s the one position where there’s only one of them in the game the entire time,” Payton said, via Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com. “The game ends, and how do you get those guys snaps, real-time snaps? Much like we develop pilots — they do a lot of simulator work — I think the opportunity exists [in football]. Especially when you’re able to accurately show movement with chips, exactly how it unfolds with the defense.”

If anything, it seems overdue that these billion-dollar businesses have yet to develop a way to expose young quarterbacks (especially incoming rookies who have been running spread and/or one-read offenses in college) to the blender of choices that must be made before and during a play at the next level.

From making the right pre-snap read to adjusting the offensive line as needed to keeping an eye on whether the blocking scheme works to keeping an eye on the strong safety to making the progression through the primary, secondary, and tertiary (nerd!) receiving options to hoping the running back picked up any blitzing linebackers to sensing whether the blind side defensive end is about to flatten him, finding a way to simulate that process without exposing the quarterback to any physical risk makes a lot of sense.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I/we want a good NFL computer simulation game also. Too bad EA's Madden NFL game sucks and it's our only option due to exclusive licensing.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I figured Geno Smith was already experimenting with Virtual Reality

Geno Smith: I’ve shown flashes of being a Pro Bowl quarterback
Posted by Josh Alper on December 10, 2014, 9:01 AM EST

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Wow, I think the only thing he's flashed is as a possible warm body keeping the end of the bench warm...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/footballs-future-qbs-training-virtual-reality-33129465

Football's Future? QBs Training With Virtual Reality
OXFORD, Miss. —
By DAVID BRANDT AP Sports Writer

Tampa Bay Buccaneers and about 100 high schools are among EON's clients. Brendan Reilly — the company's 28-year-old CEO — says more potential clients are in the works and interest has been high.

Reilly said EON's software was partially developed from programs that do things like train fighter pilots and help doctors practice surgeries.

"Coaches already know how to make guys big and strong," Reilly said. "Now they want to figure out how to get them to make consistently better decisions on the field. We're figuring out ways to use data and technology to make that happen. And if you can game-ify the process to make it more enjoyable, players will hopefully embrace that."

Ole Miss graduate assistant Robert Ratliff spent several hours using the EON Sports software to install the team's offense into the system. He's also working on simulating defensive alignments for teams that the Rebels will face this season.

He said once the base system is installed, changing, adding or deleting plays isn't too difficult.

There is also a version of the simulator that uses real-life footage from the quarterback's perspective instead of a video game simulation. Ratliff said that version makes things more realistic, but once the video is taken, there is no way to change the play without filming another one.

EON Sports isn't the only company vying for clients in the world of virtual reality. A company called STRIVR also has a growing list of clients, including Auburn, Arkansas, Stanford, the Minnesota Vikings and the Dallas Cowboys.

"You're always looking for things to help you get better," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "The quarterback is one position that you can actually get some mental reps. Even if it's mental, it can help you in the fall."

Not everything can be simulated of course: The weather is always perfect when staring through the headset, the pocket stays relatively clean for the quarterback and the receivers always run a perfect route.

"And, of course, there aren't guys out there trying to kill you," Buchanan said laughing.

But the general consensus is the technology is only going to get better. And with limited practice time during the preseason, giving quarterbacks extra time to learn the playbook probably isn't a bad thing.

It's also a way to avoid risking fatigue or injury on the field. Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said second-year quarterback Teddy Bridgewater immediately embraced the new training.

"It's going to be very helpful from the learning curve, for not only me but for other guys in the room," Bridgewater said. "We have backups who won't get the same amount of reps that I will get throughout the course of game week, so for them to be able to go in and steal reps is going to be very helpful."

Will it actually help the Vikings win more football games?

Zimmer isn't sure, but it's worth a shot.

"The jury is still out, but I think with the age of guys that we have now and the video games and all the things that they have, Teddy really liked it when he saw it," Zimmer said. "People we've talked to, they really like it."

—————

AP Sports Writers John Zenor, Jon Krawczynski and Dave Campbell contributed to this story.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, I think the only thing he's flashed is as a possible warm body keeping the end of the bench warm...

Nah, Geno would find a way to piss off the water boy and get punched out.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

He was probably high off of painkillers, cut the guy some slack.