Vikings message board shuts down, disgusted by both team and fans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Almost like they were looking for a reason to get out. Or, at the end of their rope with running the site.
Could be. I know I've been pushed to my limits with this board at times (2011, for example), so I can only imagine the frustration that comes from also having to moderate an epic-sized social issue like child abuse at the same time.

This line was interesting too.

2. We will not give a voice to thugs who think child abuse is "cultural" or worse, openly advocate child abuse as a reasonable method of punishment. This ends here. Yes, a few board members have ruined it for everyone. Congratulations, [jerks].

But they will give them a voice by automatically redirecting them to another Vikings fan site.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Well, I already explained why. You don't have to agree with me. And the link they're giving the people they know is also the same link they're giving their alleged trouble-makers. So again, if this is about moral integrity and frustration with bad apples, then how it is moral to transfer all of the same issues to someone else? And I'm not even speculating about the money that may have changed hands here, so I'm not being a total jerk about it either.

I didn't say you were being a jerk. I just think that they were displeased in a big way and that's how they chose to show it. There's no moral problem with giving a link to another site that's staying open and willing to talk about it. Why would there be?

moklerman

Warner-phile
I didn't say you were being a jerk. I just think that they were displeased in a big way and that's how they chose to show it. There's no moral problem with giving a link to another site that's staying open and willing to talk about it. Why would there be?
2. We will not give a voice to thugs who think ...

Is hypocrisy immoral?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Could be. I know I've been pushed to my limits with this board at times (2011, for example), so I can only imagine the frustration that comes from also having to moderate an epic-sized social issue like child abuse at the same time.

This line was interesting too.

2. We will not give a voice to thugs who think child abuse is "cultural" or worse, openly advocate child abuse as a reasonable method of punishment. This ends here. Yes, a few board members have ruined it for everyone. Congratulations, [jerks].

But they will give them a voice by automatically redirecting them to another Vikings fan site.

Using the words "thug" and "cultural" in this way screams racism to me. Or is that just me reading too much into it?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm having a hard time with this issue. Not to say that I think it's ever acceptable to harm a child but I've had my ass whipped and/or beat more than a few times when I was growing up.

I never got the switch so I don't really know what kind of marks that "normally" leaves. But I've got the belt and that doesn't leave marks but if we get right down to it, it would also be considered child abuse nowadays.

So, I completely agree that Peterson went too far but I still feel like it was in the act of discipline and not torture. I mean, if Peterson really wanted to hurt someone...anyone, much less a 4 years old, he could easily do a LOT of permanent damage so it makes me doubt that he was actually trying to inflict damage.

I understand what you're saying. I agree to some extent. But whether or not he intended to hurt him or not doesn't really matter does it? He did. I've spanked my children. Even used a wooden spoon once on the butt. But for God sake you don't leave him bloody! That's going too far, motive and intent be dammed. I hope it turns out to be false, for everyone's sake.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
2. We will not give a voice to thugs who think ...

Is hypocrisy immoral?

Where is the hypocrisy? They're not giving voice. They didn't say they were going on a crusade to wipe out all talk. They simply said they won't talk about it there. I guess I don't really see an big moral question here.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
They need to quit taking themselves so seriously. Ban the retards and continue on.

They could have done that too. I'm kind of assuming that either the owner or someone else has some sort of experience with child abuse and is just angry. Or maybe they're attention whores, who knows. Either way its their site.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Wow! Say what you want but the NFL is in trouble here. I can't believe we ended week 1, the supposed celebration of the return of our beloved sport, with all of that mess. Watching sports on ESPN and etc all week I saw zero highlights or discussion of actual football play. Week two didn't fare much better, if any. Sad. I really wanted to know what happened in the games, but no, there was no time for any of that. Goodell really has no choice but to resign and should have done it already, imo. What a disaster. Many people who have periferal knowledge of our hobby are repulsed by recent events and the NFL's handling. But, if even fan sites are dropping as a result of this junk. Well, that's a very strong statement of public discontent with the NFL.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm having a hard time with this issue. Not to say that I think it's ever acceptable to harm a child but I've had my ass whipped and/or beat more than a few times when I was growing up.

I never got the switch so I don't really know what kind of marks that "normally" leaves. But I've got the belt and that doesn't leave marks but if we get right down to it, it would also be considered child abuse nowadays.

So, I completely agree that Peterson went too far but I still feel like it was in the act of discipline and not torture. I mean, if Peterson really wanted to hurt someone...anyone, much less a 4 years old, he could easily do a LOT of permanent damage so it makes me doubt that he was actually trying to inflict damage.

Different times, I got spanked as a child, got the belt a few times, my younger brother (by 9 years) didn't. Its no longer socially acceptable for that type of discipline, especially as studies come out showing how its not as effective as other means.

Especially what Peterson did. The fact he could have done more doesn't really mean much. My brother is now 17 and I could still beat him to death if I wanted to, I'm still stronger and bigger. Peterson likely didn't go into the mindset that it was abuse, but many stalkers or rapist, and even some murderers do what they do with that same thought process, that they're not doing anything wrong. The other person loves them, or wants it, or deserves it. What he did certainly seems like abuse at this point and that's what matters now.

cracengl

Rookie
They could have done that too. I'm kind of assuming that either the owner or someone else has some sort of experience with child abuse and is just angry. Or maybe they're attention whores, who knows. Either way its their site.
You could be right. I just think it takes away from the actual issue.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Well, if their intentions are good I applaud them for taking a stand, even if I think its a little unnecessary.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Different times, I got spanked as a child, got the belt a few times, my younger brother (by 9 years) didn't. Its no longer socially acceptable for that type of discipline, especially as studies come out showing how its not as effective as other means.

Especially what Peterson did. The fact he could have done more doesn't really mean much. My brother is now 17 and I could still beat him to death if I wanted to, I'm still stronger and bigger. Peterson likely didn't go into the mindset that it was abuse, but many stalkers or rapist, and even some murderers do what they do with that same thought process, that they're not doing anything wrong. The other person loves them, or wants it, or deserves it. What he did certainly seems like abuse at this point and that's what matters now.
I don't know about that. I think it's pretty big part of trying to determine if he was disciplining or abusing.

Not giving Peterson a pass or even the benefit of doubt but I think it's fair to consider these things. I don't know him personally but I have heard plenty of stories about how he likes to show off his handshake to anyone he meets. His masculinity seems to be very important to him so challenging that may have set him off. Disrespect him or disobey him and there's going to be trouble is what it sounds like.

Doesn't help that he's apparently an absentee dad. Showing up occasionally and expecting your word to be followed unquestioningly seems like a recipe for trouble.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
So? If you can't control your own board and curtail a few [jerks] who ruined the whole thing, then sure. Dump it all. But don't blame it on Peterson. That just sounds like an excuse from the board owner who got tired of the Peterson talk getting away from him and his moderators.

Almost like they were looking for a reason to get out. Or, at the end of their rope with running the site.

I'm guessing that this was an excuse used by the board owner(s) to get out once and for all. It can get extremely tiring and frustrating to deal with anonymous people in a sports forum when things get out of hand, especially when you're paying the bills to keep that board functioning well.

For example:

The Rams D and the return of Sam Bradford was built up from before the draft. This would be the season Fisher would right the ship and sail us into the playoffs. Then came the beat down by the Vikings over the Rams and the negativity and hopelessness here was overwhelming at times.

The Vikings fans were probably on top of the world after that game. Then came the beat down of their team by the Patriots followed by the Adrian Peterson fiasco. Can you imagine what must have gone on in that forum? Sometimes even owners of sports forums can have a breaking point.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't know about that. I think it's pretty big part of trying to determine if he was disciplining or abusing.

Not giving Peterson a pass or even the benefit of doubt but I think it's fair to consider these things. I don't know him personally but I have heard plenty of stories about how he likes to show off his handshake to anyone he meets. His masculinity seems to be very important to him so challenging that may have set him off. Disrespect him or disobey him and there's going to be trouble is what it sounds like.

Doesn't help that he's apparently an absentee dad. Showing up occasionally and expecting your word to be followed unquestioningly seems like a recipe for trouble.

I don't, because then anyone can say "I'm not abusing them, if I wanted to do that I would have used a knife!". If he's leaving marks that stay for days then he's crossing that line. Just because he can do worse or doesn't think he's crossing the line doesn't mean its not as bad or okay.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thugs? Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. IMO, it's a publicity stunt for the people that run it to act like they're the moral voice.

Morals are subjective. Some people think corporal punishment is acceptable, some don't. Doesn't make you a thug or a bad person.

The worst of it all is that they act like the only moral and appropriate thing to be is outraged and disgusted.

cracengl

Rookie

As a parent, I kind of view spanking as a parental weakness. The few times I've resorted to that, I was at the end of my rope and just took the easy way out. Parenting without fear and domination and threats is hard. So why did I do it? Because parenting isn't freaking easy. It's hard as shit from time to time and no one is perfect 100% of the time. I think you just have to decide for yourself that spanking and that sort of punishment is not the best way and that you don't want to do it. It's really about self-discipline than disciplining your child. AP went too far and I think deep down he knows it. I think some parents talk their kids to death, they don't stand by what they say, they give in too easily, they raise their kids to not think about consequences, they are too much a friend than a parent. There's all kinds of things people do that I don't agree with. But avoiding all of those things doesn't require beating them.

AnarchyRam

Rookie

Well, there's no gray area if you just never assault/hit/spank any child. It also seems illogical to teach a child about "not hitting others" if his/her own parents are hitting them. The purpose of spanking is precisely to cause pain. Spanking is an old, antiquated practice that I hope ends. Peterson's "mistakes" with using physical aggression as a tool for "discipline" is a great example of how things can go wrong it. But on principle, you should never hit children anyway. After all, they're the smallest and most innocent among us. One has to wonder if Adrian Peterson whipped himself for having so many different kids with different women. Where's his so-called discipline?

I better hush.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
"cultural" lol. yep Those were the words straight from Charles Barkley

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
About the Viqueen's message board......................

giphy.gif