Vikings at Rams | Pre-Game Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
I've seen that TE comment before but I think it's in the past. Recently the Rams have been great versus TEs (I don't usually use fantasy points but here it's convenient reference to combine yards + TDs from TEs).
2013- #2 defense against TEs
2012- top half of defenses against TEs
2011- #1 defense v. TEs
2010- #2 defense v. TEs
Thank you, don't know why so many Rams fans like to perpetuate that falsehood. Hasn't been true for a long time.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Vikes fan here. Got to say y'all have a nice board.

To the predictions:

Vikings need to get off to a good start. If not, you can stick a fork in us because of your pass rush and crowd noise. I think Quinn might be the best defensive end in the game. That being said, your D-line looks to be more suited to rush the passer which bodes well for Peterson.

Cordarelle Patterson is an absolute stud. He is poised for an absolute breakout season and will be thrust into Josh Gordon's role in Norv Turner's offense. Also, Kyle Rudolph has great hands and is a very dangerous red zone target. I wouldn't worry as much about Jennings.

Defensively we are good on the D-line. Floyd is going to have a big year and so is Everson Griffen. Our linebackers are weak in coverage. If you get a RB or TE matched up with Jasper Brinkley we are done. Our first round pick Anthony Barr looks very promising as a pass rusher. He plays our strong side linebacker and you will see him blitzing quite often. You could also see him lined up at defensive end on 3rd and long situations with Everson Griffen or Brian Robison moving inside.

The secondary is kind of bleh. We are expecting big things out of Xavier Rhodes this year, but it's so early in the season to know how much he has really improved. Harrison Smith is a star. Captain Munnerlyn is definitely an upgrade over what we had last year. Absolutely no depth beyond that and we should struggle in nickel packages.

Bottom line is we absolutely love our new coaching staff and it is a huge upgrade over Leslie Frazier and Bill Musgrave. We are very optimistic about the coming season and I have no idea what to expect record wise. I honestly think the Vikings have this one, but maybe I've been drinking too much Kool-Aid. 31-24 Vikes.

Rams will also want a good start. I think they'll hit their comfort zone when they can play field position ground and pound football which they do very well.

The Rams pass rush is probably the best in the NFL. Vikings won't be dropping back and having their way with the Rams via the air. Expect turnovers.

AP is one of the best rushers in the game. Rams have gone from 15th last they met to 9th last season. Will Greg Williams elevate them even more this season? We think so but it is a question mark.

Britt was added to give the Rams a "go up and fight for it" big bodied receiver. When he started OTAs we could see immediately he had fire and looked to be fighting back to his old self. The surprise for us was Quick came with him. Quick is very similar in size and athleticism, but being from a small school, was slow to develop. We have high hopes for this pair as they are the perfect type of target for Hill's style of passing. Throw in Tavon Austin and Jared Cook for high speed explosiveness and Kendricks and Pettis for sure hands and it rounds out a strong stable of pass catchers.

Stacy and Cunningham are solid running backs. They have Watts and Masson behind them who are both slippery rookies.

Rams secondary has talent but are still unproven under Williams as a group. If there's a weak link, that's probably it.

You're smart to play it safe on the season predictions. If anyone can warn you to temper the expectations with new coaching and a rebuild, Rams' fans can.

New coach / new QB / new scheme / first NFL game together / suspect defense = Rams win. They have paid their dues, spent the money, raised their rookies, and are primed for their entrance onto the big stage.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Vikes fan here. Got to say y'all have a nice board.

To the predictions:

Vikings need to get off to a good start. If not, you can stick a fork in us because of your pass rush and crowd noise. I think Quinn might be the best defensive end in the game. That being said, your D-line looks to be more suited to rush the passer which bodes well for Peterson.

Cordarelle Patterson is an absolute stud. He is poised for an absolute breakout season and will be thrust into Josh Gordon's role in Norv Turner's offense. Also, Kyle Rudolph has great hands and is a very dangerous red zone target. I wouldn't worry as much about Jennings.

Defensively we are good on the D-line. Floyd is going to have a big year and so is Everson Griffen. Our linebackers are weak in coverage. If you get a RB or TE matched up with Jasper Brinkley we are done. Our first round pick Anthony Barr looks very promising as a pass rusher. He plays our strong side linebacker and you will see him blitzing quite often. You could also see him lined up at defensive end on 3rd and long situations with Everson Griffen or Brian Robison moving inside.

The secondary is kind of bleh. We are expecting big things out of Xavier Rhodes this year, but it's so early in the season to know how much he has really improved. Harrison Smith is a star. Captain Munnerlyn is definitely an upgrade over what we had last year. Absolutely no depth beyond that and we should struggle in nickel packages.

Bottom line is we absolutely love our new coaching staff and it is a huge upgrade over Leslie Frazier and Bill Musgrave. We are very optimistic about the coming season and I have no idea what to expect record wise. I honestly think the Vikings have this one, but maybe I've been drinking too much Kool-Aid. 31-24 Vikes.
Sounds frighteningly familiar.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I see the Rams throwing an opening day party. Quinn, Quick, Long and Tavon hitting the boardS. Stacy racking up solid yardage And GZ setting some records of his own with 2 seconds left in the half.

WOwolfOL

UDFA
Kind of funny how some players training camps and preseason mean a whole lot and shows they are going to have great season. With other players their not so great preseason is because the offense was vanilla, etc.

We all want to see the best in our players. We will find out who is right soon enough.

ramfaninfla

nothin' left to do but SMILE, SMILE, SMILE!!!
yes, X has it right.....I'm not an autograph guy. But I did speak with some players when they walk by and stop.

PhxRam

One thing to note.. If you guys are going to opposing teams board as a representative of ROD, please be respectful on their respective boards.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
One thing to note.. If you guys are going to opposing teams board as a representative of ROD, please be respectful on their respective boards.
Sure. But if you go to SB Nation (where that ridiculous comment about our O-line giving up 53 sacks was written), you should be able to treat that like any other ill-informed blog. Or website. Or Network of amateur writers. Whatever it is.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Sure. But if you go to SB Nation (where that ridiculous comment about our O-line giving up 53 sacks was written), you should be able to treat that like any other ill-informed blog. Or website. Or Network of amateur writers. Whatever it is.
Pretty sure the answer is D, all of the above.

WOwolfOL

UDFA
If you want to know exactly where they're staying, and exactly where to go to get autographs, then you have to get in touch with their travel secretary or the facility director of operations. In this case it would be Luther Hippe. And that's as simple as calling the facility and asking to speak to him. (952) 828-6500
I just tried to get a hold of him, apparently "They don't give out that kind of information." haha

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I just tried to get a hold of him, apparently "They don't give out that kind of information." haha
Psh. And here we have the COO of the Organization at our beck and call. lol.

Big Willie

Starter
I think the Packers gave the play book on how to beat the Rams defense. Quick passes and misdirection. Look for the Vikes to try this as well with Patterson on slants, screens and reverses. With AP running outside, I think they will score points ( I am predicting 24). We will need a couple of turnovers, say a sack/fumble and an interception to create short fields. Offensively, not sure we are gonna get much early in terms of big running gains, but if our TEs and WRs catch the balls they should; we can grind out a 28-24 win. Three of the TDs will come from drives of 50 yards or less (2 recovered turnovers and a quality punt return from Tavon).

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I think the Packers gave the play book on how to beat the Rams defense. Quick passes and misdirection. Look for the Vikes to try this as well with Patterson on slants, screens and reverses. With AP running outside, I think they will score points ( I am predicting 24). We will need a couple of turnovers, say a sack/fumble and an interception to create short fields. Offensively, not sure we are gonna get much early in terms of big running gains, but if our TEs and WRs catch the balls they should; we can grind out a 28-24 win. Three of the TDs will come from drives of 50 yards or less (2 recovered turnovers and a quality punt return from Tavon).
That was preseason. I hope they think the way to beat the Rams is based on how the defense played in the preseason. I really hope so. Oh, god, please let them think they can beat our defense based on what we showed in the preseason.

WOwolfOL

UDFA
Psh. And here we have the COO of the Organization at our beck and call. lol.
That'd be nice. I guess I can just hope they are staying at the Drury Inn and chill outside for a good hour before the game and hope I get lucky haha. Does anyone know what side of the stadium the visitors clubhouse entrance is on. That might give me a better indication of where to go.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That'd be nice. I guess I can just hope they are staying at the Drury Inn and chill outside for a good hour before the game and hope I get lucky haha. Does anyone know what side of the stadium the visitors clubhouse entrance is on. That might give me a better indication of where to go.
Probably the same place they check on restraining orders, ya stalker.
30615_mischievous-grin-smiley-emoticon.gif

vikings

UDFA
The more I think about this game the more nervous I get. As much as I love Rudolph in the passing game, I have a bad feeling we are going to have to have him stay in to help Kalil on Quinn. It’s going to be hard for us to consistently drive the field on you guys so big plays will be a huge part of the game for us. Turnovers could decide the outcome.

WOwolfOL

UDFA
The more I think about this game the more nervous I get. As much as I love Rudolph in the passing game, I have a bad feeling we are going to have to have him stay in to help Kalil on Quinn. It’s going to be hard for us to consistently drive the field on you guys so big plays will be a huge part of the game for us. Turnovers could decide the outcome.

I know they will use Rudy to chip on Quinn as well as use Felton to help. I have faith Norv can put a game plan together to counteract some of that, the question is can we execute the game plan.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know they will use Rudy to chip on Quinn as well as use Felton to help. I have faith Norv can put a game plan together to counteract some of that, the question is can we execute the game plan.

That's why we Rams fans brag about our D-Line, not just Quinn. Its not a coincidence that we have finished #1 and #3 in the league in sacks the past 2 seasons. Focus your resources on Quinn by doubling or chipping, it just opens up opportunities for other guys. With the Rams D-Line its pick your poison

WOwolfOL

UDFA
That's why we Rams fans brag about our D-Line, not just Quinn. Its not a coincidence that we have finished #1 and #3 in the league in sacks the past 2 seasons. Focus your resources on Quinn by doubling or chipping, it just opens up opportunities for other guys. With the Rams D-Line its pick your poison

Oh I fully understand how good of a pass rush it is but there are certain things an offense can do to mitigate that to some degree. Also I do think that some here are underestimating the Vikings O-Line. They may not be in the top 5 discussion like the Rams D Line is but it certainly is a formidable opponent. Better run blockers then pass protectors for the most part. That's why I think this game you will see A LOT of A.D. and a lot of quick slants/screens, etc. Probably not a whole lot of PA passes except for maybe on first down. I think both fan bases as a whole are underestimating the other team. Hopefully the Vikings come out on top but I can see it just as easily going the other way.