Vikings at Rams | Pre-Game Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I watched the Vikings a little in preseason. Their d line is pretty good against the run but kinda crap against the pass. We'll need to effectively pass the ball to win this one. If we rely too much on the run game we could let this one slip away. Their secondary doesn't scare me at all. Pass all day. Rams win like 31-24.

WOwolfOL

UDFA
Man if wwe're all predicting this game to be so close we're in for a rough season. Vikings have got to be one of the easiest games on the schedule. They're not gonna be that good are they?
Its comments like these that make me think you guys aren't paying attention.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Thanks dude. I'm not flying anywhere with this f*cking mortgage - although that would be amazing. I'm gonna watch a dodgy stream in the man cave and high five imaginary friends every time the Rams score.:cool:
We're here for ya brudda!

Penguin.

Rookie
You live and die by the blitz in a Gregg Williams defense. Our defense, on paper, matches up well against a lot of teams. But good God, have they given up big runs in the past. It's not like the run defense has vastly improved. We drafted Donald, for certain pass rushing situations and goal line stands so he can penetrate and get in the backfield. This isn't a defense to where our D-line eats up blockers so our LBers can take the runner. Everyone just attacks the runner. It results in a lot of huge tackles for loss, and it also results in a lot of huge gains.

This is a game we should win, but somehow the Rams keep screwing me. We play so bad against bad teams like the Cowboys, Vikings, and Jets, but if we play against the Bears or the Colts we turn into this super bowl contending team.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Games that I see being easier for the Rams then this one: Bucs, Cardinals x2, Skins, Raiders

Sorry man, not trying to bad talk the Vikings but I just don't think they have the firepower to compete in that division. And to be honest, I don't really follow them or pay attention. I really don't see many reasons why we should be afraid of them, especially at our house but maybe I'm overlooking some things.

I'll give you the rest of those games, but I don't think they're easier, maybe more on the same level. I don't think I'm alone on these opinions but maybe I am.

whitehops

UDFA
KNOW YOUR OPPONENT

Minnesota Vikings
Strengths:
- running the ball
- dynamic players in the passing game
- defensive line/rushing the passer
- special teams

Weaknesses:
- offensive line has been inconsistent in pass protection
- improved secondary but still not terrific by any means
- linebacking core leaves a lot to be desired

Big Game

Living The Dream
I think if the Rams can contain AP and not bite on the play action passes we will be fine. Now that is not an easy task as mentioned by many posters here they will also be using the TE. And the Rams defense in the past has let average and below average TE's look like superstars.

But i look forward to what Gregg Williams will put together for a game plan and i have confidence that at home Rams pull off a Win

27-17 Rams!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
KNOW YOUR OPPONENT

Minnesota Vikings
Strengths:
- running the ball
- special teams

Weaknesses:
- offensive line has been inconsistent in pass protection
- linebacking core leaves a lot to be desired

KNOW YOUR OPPONENT

St. Louis Rams
Strengths:
- running the ball
- special teams
- offensive line has been inconsistent in recent years but has the ability to be much better this year

Weaknesses:
- play calling usually leaves a lot to be desired

Welcome aboard Whitehops.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
And the Rams defense in the past has let average and below average TE's look like superstars.
I've seen that TE comment before but I think it's in the past. Recently the Rams have been great versus TEs (I don't usually use fantasy points but here it's convenient reference to combine yards + TDs from TEs).
2013- #2 defense against TEs
2012- top half of defenses against TEs
2011- #1 defense v. TEs
2010- #2 defense v. TEs

vikings

UDFA
Vikes fan here. Got to say y'all have a nice board.

To the predictions:

Vikings need to get off to a good start. If not, you can stick a fork in us because of your pass rush and crowd noise. I think Quinn might be the best defensive end in the game. That being said, your D-line looks to be more suited to rush the passer which bodes well for Peterson.

Cordarelle Patterson is an absolute stud. He is poised for an absolute breakout season and will be thrust into Josh Gordon's role in Norv Turner's offense. Also, Kyle Rudolph has great hands and is a very dangerous red zone target. I wouldn't worry as much about Jennings.

Defensively we are good on the D-line. Floyd is going to have a big year and so is Everson Griffen. Our linebackers are weak in coverage. If you get a RB or TE matched up with Jasper Brinkley we are done. Our first round pick Anthony Barr looks very promising as a pass rusher. He plays our strong side linebacker and you will see him blitzing quite often. You could also see him lined up at defensive end on 3rd and long situations with Everson Griffen or Brian Robison moving inside.

The secondary is kind of bleh. We are expecting big things out of Xavier Rhodes this year, but it's so early in the season to know how much he has really improved. Harrison Smith is a star. Captain Munnerlyn is definitely an upgrade over what we had last year. Absolutely no depth beyond that and we should struggle in nickel packages.

Bottom line is we absolutely love our new coaching staff and it is a huge upgrade over Leslie Frazier and Bill Musgrave. We are very optimistic about the coming season and I have no idea what to expect record wise. I honestly think the Vikings have this one, but maybe I've been drinking too much Kool-Aid. 31-24 Vikes.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Dont know where you got that the Vikings D-Line is crap but it is definitely not. My guess is our D line is top 15 probably closer to top 10. Sharriff Floyd is looking real good after he's lost some weight. Much more explosive. Linval Joseph eats up double teams. Our DE aren't anything amazing but are definitely solid. In Zimmer's defense the DE are asked to set the edge to defend the run more so then purely pass rush. I'm more worried about our MLB situation. Brinkley can't cover worth a lick. Luckily Zimmer uses MLB more as down hill run stuffers.

I'll give you Floyd, but your line ain't shit compared to what we're used to jack. I am definitely worried about this game though. Even before Sam was hurt. Our team is notorious now for starting slow under Fish, and as much as I love Williams it is a brand new D. A complicated one at that. Our QB on that side too (JL) has been dinged up all preseason as well.

I'm expecting a sloppy game from our boys, I really am. That said, we're still going to be sending yo asses out on a flaming ship into the Mississippi.

Welcome to the board btw. It's fun to talk some smack with other fans that have a brain lol. Don't worry about getting band here for speaking your mind either. As long as you don't get personal nobody's gonna mess with ya. Looking forward to Sunday. Most exciting/anxious week of the year!

Last edited:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

To the predictions:

Vikings need to get off to a good start. If not, you can stick a fork in us because of your pass rush and crowd noise. I think Quinn might be the best defensive end in the game. That being said, your D-line looks to be more suited to rush the passer which bodes well for Peterson.

Cordarelle Patterson is an absolute stud. He is poised for an absolute breakout season and will be thrust into Josh Gordon's role in Norv Turner's offense. Also, Kyle Rudolph has great hands and is a very dangerous red zone target. I wouldn't worry as much about Jennings.

Defensively we are good on the D-line. Floyd is going to have a big year and so is Everson Griffen. Our linebackers are weak in coverage. If you get a RB or TE matched up with Jasper Brinkley we are done. Our first round pick Anthony Barr looks very promising as a pass rusher. He plays our strong side linebacker and you will see him blitzing quite often. You could also see him lined up at defensive end on 3rd and long situations with Everson Griffen or Brian Robison moving inside.

The secondary is kind of bleh. We are expecting big things out of Xavier Rhodes this year, but it's so early in the season to know how much he has really improved. Harrison Smith is a star. Captain Munnerlyn is definitely an upgrade over what we had last year. Absolutely no depth beyond that and we should struggle in nickel packages.

Bottom line is we absolutely love our new coaching staff and it is a huge upgrade over Leslie Frazier and Bill Musgrave. We are very optimistic about the coming season and I have no idea what to expect record wise. I honestly think the Vikings have this one, but maybe I've been drinking too much Kool-Aid. 31-24 Vikes.
Welcome to the board. Good luck this season, except this week, of course. :whistle:
Here's to an injury free game on both sides!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't like the matchup here.

Minnesota's run defense is pretty good. Livan Joseph could give us trouble in the middle against Wells. Wells has not looked great and will need guard which will delay the hole opening. I do think Saffold and/or Joseph can handle Floyd. I hope we try to open it up a little because the matchup advantage is Quick and Britt against their DB's Captain, Rhodes and Robinson. Only Rhodes is over 6". No real advantage with Cooke as he is soft and Minnys LB's can cover.

Minny has the ability to get pressure and have the personal to mix packages, but I think we can handle that. Also throwing on first down and forcing Joseph to pass rush will help us. They sub Joseph and Floyd on passing downs so passing on 1st and 10 will help subdue any pressure they can bring.

On defense, Cassel is nothing and can be rattled. But can we contain AP and if we cant it opens play action and Cassel is a good play action passer. Also play action could be deadly with Patterson on the outside.

I think we are looking at a low scoring but big plays by AP or Patterson do us in.

Minnesota 20
Rams 17

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

To the predictions:

I would go ahead and pencil Rudolph in as getting 2-3 catches. Look at what our pass rush did to Jimmy Graham last year. He was relegated to helping on Quinn. On the few plays he got out, we had good coverage on him.

I'm much more worried about big plays from Patterson, and gash runs from Peterson. Those are the only two things your offense has that's scary. Cassel is going to get beat up, and if he can't take the hits Patterson won't see the ball as much.

You might hear your new coaches saying about Quinn, "I thought we weren't going to let him wreck the game."

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm off on holiday to Mallorca so pretty much no chance I'll see the game but I'm expecting a home win and will be very disappointed if that isn't the case.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

To the predictions:

Welcome aboard!

And yes, we think we have a pretty good board here too! :sneaky:

I kind of agree with your bottom line, except I think you have the wrong team winning. :whistle:

I know the Rams were favored by about 5 points (I would have favored them by more) before Bradford went down. Not sure where the spread is now......not sure that really matters though...Now with our #2 QB - I think the Rams win a tighter game than I thought it would be before Sam got hurt.

My thoughts are - if the Rams could go on the road last year, with a backup QB that could not hit the broad side of a barn and blow out the Colts 38-8, then later beat the Saints 27-16 and the Bears 42-21; I think a BETTER Rams team now, with a MUCH BETTER back up QB can handle the Vikes in St. Louis. But, we'll see. ;)