Very basic Gregg Williams blitz, note depth of CBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Blue and Gold
2003bb_zps1e9feb8a.jpg

SierraRam

Recreational User
Jeezus H. - looks dangerous! We're bringing the best front 4 in football and Ogletree!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
So Ogletree is essentially on a delayed blitz if the weak side RB pass blocks, right?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
They had a good Corners in Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements but I guess they couldn't trust their rush to make it to the QB effectively. They had Aaron Schobel who managed 11.5 sacks that year but the rest of the front 4 only had a weak 8.5 sacks between them. Considering we have a defensive line now that could bust through the Great Wall of China in 1.42 seconds, I would imagine we could afford to have our corners play up and jam. Good coaches scheme around their personnel and there is no doubt that is what Williams will do.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
They had a good Corners in Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements but I guess they couldn't trust their rush to make it to the QB effectively. They had Aaron Schobel who managed 11.5 sacks that year but the rest of the front 4 only had a weak 8.5 sacks between them. Considering we have a defensive line now that could bust through the Great Wall of China in 1.42 seconds, I would imagine we could afford to have our corners play up and jam. Good coaches scheme around their personnel and there is no doubt that is what Williams will do.

The problem with playing your corners in press (jam) coverage, is there is no one over the top. This blitz scheme has the DB's in deep 1/3 coverage. If one of the CBs were to get beat off the LOS, its over. I know everyone is still having nightmares about all the quick slants, but with this sort of pressure, you're playing with fire not playing off.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I will wait and see what the Defense looks like in September. With the Rams front four the risky formations wont be as necessary. Plus the corners are young and still green to be trusting them in press like that.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The problem with playing your corners in press (jam) coverage, is there is no one over the top. This blitz scheme has the DB's in deep 1/3 coverage. If one of the CBs were to get beat off the LOS, its over. I know everyone is still having nightmares about all the quick slants, but with this sort of pressure, you're playing with fire not playing off.

Fishers defense is all about the bend but don't break so we probably will be playing off, your right. Will they be this far off though? My guess is they play 5-7 yards off as opposed to 9-10 because that almost neutralizes what you are attempting to do with the blitz if you allow the easy check down. The Bills of 2003 may have had to run this type of play just to get pressure. When you play too far off your man, you also run the risk of missing the open field tackle after the almost certain catch in the underneath route and it's off to the races then too. 5-7 yards gives you the opportunity to make a play on the ball if it's thrown underneath while also not being beat by the average WR on a deep route.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Fishers defense is all about the bend but don't break so we probably will be playing off, your right. Will they be this far off though? My guess is they play 5-7 yards off as opposed to 9-10 because that almost neutralizes what you are attempting to do with the blitz if you allow the easy check down. The Bills of 2003 may have had to run this type of play just to get pressure. When you play too far off your man, you also run the risk of missing the open field tackle after the almost certain catch in the underneath route and it's off to the races then too. 5-7 yards gives you the opportunity to make a play on the ball if it's thrown underneath while also not being beat by the average WR on a deep route.

While I agree with your theory, I also think that these guys will be much more aggressive in how they play those quick slants. Assuming they are 9-10 yrd off, my guess is the wont be automatically in a backpedal, an will look to jump those routes. But this way, they keep the play in front of them and just have to time it right. Look how aggressive teams are vs, us. When is the last time you saw Givens catch an uncontested slant?

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm enjoying this conversation and appreciate the topic as I usually don't focus on the defensive side of the ball but can we really take much from a page out of playbook from 10 years and what, 4 teams ago? Williams has surely progressed and evolved, not to mention the Bills' personnel being different than the Rams'.

I'd really hate to find out that Williams hasn't evolved and isn't tailoring his scheme to the personnel.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm enjoying this conversation and appreciate the topic as I usually don't focus on the defensive side of the ball but can we really take much from a page out of playbook from 10 years and what, 4 teams ago? Williams has surely progressed and evolved, not to mention the Bills' personnel being different than the Rams'.

I'd really hate to find out that Williams hasn't evolved and isn't tailoring his scheme to the personnel.
I think Williams said in his introductory press conference that they will put the players in the best position to use their strengths.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I have a few questions:

Roughly how many of these plays are in a playbook?

Is a player expected to memorise anything other than their own assignment within each play? (I hope not for their sake)

Referring to the particular play call in the original post, how is that communicated (either by GW or via JL55)? Is "under sam dog" called and everyone on the defence immediately recognises their assignment or is it more complicated than that ("dog alert, under sam dog" for example)?

Having called the play, what adjustments can JL55 realistically make pre-snap? He presumably wouldn't change the call to a completely different play but would instead make finer adjustments to individual player assignments?

I've never played the game so I'm interested to know how it all works

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan

This is a third and long play. A quick slant is the obvious weakness but a win for the defense. Any longer route should result in a sack.

RamzFanz

Damnit
When I insert our players into those positions, holy smokes.

This could be a huge year for JJ again because he should be able to jump routes pretty consistently.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I have a question about Williams's defense philosophy. I know from reading that he comes up with some great blitzes and good plays, but do we really need to blitz with our excellent front four? I always thought that was the goal, to have a front four that can get pressure WITHOUT blitzing. Isn't that what everyone said made the Seahawks and Niners so great? Just a thought.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a question about Williams's defense philosophy. I know from reading that he comes up with some great blitzes and good plays, but do we really need to blitz with our excellent front four? I always thought that was the goal, to have a front four that can get pressure WITHOUT blitzing. Isn't that what everyone said made the Seahawks and Niners so great? Just a thought.
Yeah, you still need to blitz. You can have 6 people in to block even with 3 wide receivers. Williams just makes sure there's one guy who isn't accounted for in the event that 4 down linemen isn't enough to generate immediate pressure. Could be as subtle as a strong side stunt. But it does help to send someone else in to force a quick read/quick throw.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Also, the Seahawks did play a lot with five men up.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Makes sense, it's just one of those things you hear all the time so it had me wondering. I'm sure we'll blitz every now and then to generate more pressure or force a quick throw, as mentioned. I could also see the blitz looks being used to throw off the opposing teams. I guess it all works together.