Versatility is Notre Dame's Zack Martin's Biggest Asset

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Versatility is Notre Dame Lineman Zack Martin's Biggest Asset
By Jonathan Webb

http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and...st-Asset/ca81e1ad-cb5b-4878-a309-3a3d5f4ce9ec

As a quality lineman who has at times slipped from the headlines garnered by many of his offensive line counterparts in this year’s draft, Notre Dame’s Zack Martin has utilized his versatility in joining his position group as a likely first-round pick.

With most draft boards devoid of a full-time guard being taken in the first round, Martin projects as possibly the first player drafted to man that position this spring. His size—6’4” and 308 pounds—could translate well to the position, in addition to his strong foot speed. Though he did not run at the NFL Combine, Martin has been timed as low as 5.08 seconds in the 40-yard dash, a number that could play well as a potential interior run-blocker.

Martin served as the left tackle throughout his four-year career at Notre Dame, where he holds
the distinction as the only member of the Irish to be named offensive lineman of the year all four years. No other Notre Dame lineman has ever won the award more than twice.

While meeting with media at the NFL Combine, Martin expressed a preference to remain at his familiar position of tackle, though remains open to a move to the interior of the line.

“I’ve played tackle my whole career, and I tell teams that’s the position I’m familiar with and I can be effective there,” Martin said. “At the same time, I’m comfortable playing any position. I think one of my strengths is my versatility, and so I just let teams know I can play any position. They agree with the versatility point of me playing multiple positions.”

As for his draft potential, Martin to Miami at 19th overall has become a trendy projection, either at guard or tackle. The Rams have also emphasized the benefits of an offensive lineman that can serviceably handle both the guard and tackle positions, traits that made veteran Rodger Saffold a key offseason signing.

Should the Rams choose to strike early for an offensive lineman, Martin could represent an option at 13th overall, if the trio of Jake Matthews, Greg Robinson and Taylor Lewan are selected early. Following the re-signing of Saffold as the team’s starting right guard, the Rams will enter 2014 more likely to upgrade at tackle than guard through the draft. Martin would welcome the opportunity to fill that need in St. Louis, or any other team seeking a first-round answer along the offensive line.

“I’m just looking for a job, so I’m just excited to hearing my name called (at the draft),” Martin said. “I had a pretty successful career (at tackle), but at the same time, if a team takes me and they want me to play at guard, then I’m perfectly happy doing that for them.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Wouldn't mind Martin in horns

Maybe add Su'a-Filo, Gabe Jackson or Dakota "Bull" Dozier in rd 2/3 and away we go... Can't wait!

upload_2014-4-19_23-7-35.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2014-4-19_23-7-12.jpeg
    upload_2014-4-19_23-7-12.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 125

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like the idea of adding premium picks to the oline.

An oline that looks something like this;

CHOCIM%20TWIERDZA.jpg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Martin and watched just about every game he played at Notre Dame. IMO I'm not sure he has the footwork to play LT in the NFL, however, would be outstanding as a RT and Guard. Now here's the issue, what if Jake Long is not ready or gets injured again? IMO the Rams need somebody to play LT and although Rodger Saffold could do it, we also realize that when you take Saffold out of the phone booth, he is more suceptible to injury.

I realize most of my posts seem always making a case for Jake Matthews and if the Rams ended up with Watkins & Martin that would be great, but if the Rams ended up with maybe Jake Matthews, Justin Gilbert & Jordan Matthews (round 2) I would party like it's 1999.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I like Martin and watched just about every game he played at Notre Dame. IMO I'm not sure he has the footwork to play LT in the NFL, however, would be outstanding as a RT and Guard. Now here's the issue, what if Jake Long is not ready or gets injured again? IMO the Rams need somebody to play LT and although Rodger Saffold could do it, we also realize that when you take Saffold out of the phone booth, he is more suceptible to injury.

I realize most of my posts seem always making a case for Jake Matthews and if the Rams ended up with Watkins & Martin that would be great, but if the Rams ended up with maybe Jake Matthews, Justin Gilbert & Jordan Matthews (round 2) I would party like it's 1999.

I've been hoping for a top tackle at 1a, too. 1b: Gilbert or Donald. 2nd round: Pryor or Ward - I think we need to go safety because I predict a run aound this time.

V3

Hall of Fame

That would be a very solid start. I'd like to know who's available with the 3rd pick, but I would be happy with that draft. (I really want Terrence Brooks in the 2nd)

V3

Hall of Fame
I've been hoping for a top tackle at 1a, too. 1b: Gilbert or Donald. 2nd round: Pryor or Ward - I think we need to go safety because I predict a run aound this time.

Do you think Pryor will last to round 2? I wonder if Ward will even make it. I agree round two is a good spot to take a FS, though.

laramsoriginal

Starter

Glad to have another domer/ram fan on here.

Alan

Legend
den-the-coach hesitant to tell the truth:
And why shouldn't you continue to trumpet the advantages of Matthews when the discussion is about OTs? He's the best OT option out there IMO.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And why shouldn't you continue to trumpet the advantages of Matthews when the discussion is about OTs? He's the best OT option out there IMO.

You're right that's the guy I want, but I do understand why others can make a great case for Watkins. I realize I'm always going to be biased because I always want to go offensive or defensive line because I believe you win the game in the trenches.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'm versatile, put me out there. I'm sure I'll suck as much at LT as guard or center