Versatile Rams linebacker Mark Barron is thriving in Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-mark-barron-20171116-story.html

Versatile Rams linebacker Mark Barron is thriving in Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme
Gary Klein

1150x647

Rams linebacker Mark Barron intercepts a pass in front of teammate Nickell Robey-Coleman during a victory over the Cowboys on Oct. 1.
(Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)

Wade Phillips’ impending arrival as the Rams’ defensive coordinator last January caused several players minor anxiety.

They were excited, of course, about Phillips’ track record of success, but uncertain how they might fit into his 3-4 scheme.

Mark Barron, at a seemingly undersized 6 feet 2 and 225 pounds for an inside linebacker, was not among the nervous.

“I wasn’t worried about it all,” Barron said. “Just tell me what you need me to do, what’s my responsibility, and I’m going to go and try to find a way to make plays within that scheme.”

Barron, 28, has done that for a Rams team that is 7-2 and atop the NFC West heading into Sunday’s game against the Minnesota Vikings at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.

He has 63 tackles and three interceptions, both team bests.

“You feel him,” coach Sean McVay said. “He’s all over the field.”

Barron’s playmaking has helped the Rams lead the league with 19 forced turnovers, including 12 interceptions and seven fumbles.

In last week’s victory over the Houston Texans, Jared Goff’s long touchdown pass to Robert Woods was the third-quarter play that blew open the game and sent the Rams on their way to a 33-7 blowout.

But Barron’s interception late in the first half positioned the Rams for the breakout.

After the Rams failed to generate a first down with a fake punt, the Texans took over and moved inside the Rams’ 20-yard line with a chance to build on a 7-6 lead.

Barron intercepted a pass to quell the threat and returned it 15 yards to set up a drive that led to a field goal to put the Rams ahead going into the break.

And he did it wearing a cast on his left hand because of a thumb injury.

“If I’m going to step on the field and play with it, I can’t be out there making excuses,” Barron said. “You got to find a way.”

Barron has thrived for the Rams since moving from safety to a hybrid role a few seasons ago. It was one of several position switches he made since he began playing football in youth leagues.

Barron mainly played running back, wingback and receiver in high school in Mobile, Ala. But during his senior season, to help the defense, he also moved to linebacker and safety.

In college at Alabama, he played safety for two national championship teams and was selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with the seventh pick in the 2012 draft.

The Rams acquired Barron for two draft picks in a 2014 trade deadline move, and he finished that season at safety.

But in 2015, after outside linebacker Alec Ogletree suffered a season-ending ankle injury in Week 4, former Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams utilized Barron in a hybrid role.

“They just threw me in,” Barron said, adding, “It wasn’t a planned thing or a sit-down-and-talk thing. It was just a way to get me on the field — and I ended up being good at it.”

So good, the Rams signed Barron to a five-year, $45-million contract before last season.

He responded by finishing with the second-most tackles and two interceptions for a defense that was forced to carry the load for a team that featured the league’s worst offense.

Phillips surveyed the talent he was inheriting and saw Barron as a perfect fit for the “Mo” linebacker position, which does not require the stoutness of the other inside linebacker spot played by Ogletree.

“The better the guy can cover,” Phillips said, “the more you can utilize him.”

Teammates have not been surprised by the latest demonstration of Barron’s versatility.

He is “one of those old-school-type players” that can be lined up anywhere and produce, safety Lamarcus Joyner said.

“I don’t think too many people love the game like Mark Barron,” Joyner said. “Some guys play with passion. Some guys play because they have the ability to play.

“Mark Barron, he’s two in one.”

Said Ogletree: “There’s not a lot of people that can kind of transfer a position because they might struggle, whether it’s technique or not having the ability to do it. But a guy like him, he’s definitely able to adjust really quickly and then football instincts take over.”

McVay and team trainers have been cautious with Barron since the offseason, limiting his participation in workouts and during training camp — and holding him out of preseason games — so that he would be physically ready for the season.

The Rams are the first winning NFL team for which Barron has played, so he is enjoying the feeling.

“It feels different,” he said, “and better.”

The Rams are on pace to reach the playoffs for the first time since 2004, and have been mentioned in the national conversation about Super Bowl contenders.

But Barron said his mind-set would not vary if the Rams were 2-7 rather than 7-2.

“I just don’t approach anything thinking I’m going to lose,” he said, “So as far as I’m concerned, we’re going to the Super Bowl.”
------------------------------------------
Rams defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks, who was arrested in September after a gun was found in the car he was driving near Bakersfield, was charged with one misdemeanor count of carrying a loaded firearm and is scheduled to be arraigned Friday, the Kern County District Attorney’s office said.

Westbrooks, 26, was initially stopped for speeding on Interstate 5 in Kern County. He was arrested on suspicion of receiving stolen property, carrying a loaded firearm, carrying a stolen loaded firearm, grand theft of a firearm and possession of a high-capacity magazine. Westbrooks has played in every game this season, starting twice.

He has two sacks. “He’s been up front and honest with us the whole time,” McVay said, “and we trust Ethan on his word and we’re continuing to stick with him through that.”….

Offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, who injured an ankle against the Texans, and linebacker Robert Quinn, who was sidelined for the game because of illness, were full participants in practice.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is a real nice read, and good news about Saffold and Quinn!

“You feel him,” coach Sean McVay said. “He’s all over the field.”

Barron’s playmaking has helped the Rams lead the league with 19 forced turnovers, including 12 interceptions and seven fumbles.
These are some amazing stats Barron and the rest of the D are racking up!!
As a Defensive minded Fan I LUV IT!!(y)(y):yess:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am so damn happy to see Barron killin it at ILB. That crow is tastin like southern fried chicken right now. :p

STLRam

UDFA
Definitely feels good to acquire a player that nearly everyone called a bust turn into a solid player.

fearsomefour

Legend
With Ogletree and Barron locked up inside and Longacre (although he is listed as a DE) and a couple of promising rookies the Rams LB corp looks to be in good shape. By targeting a couple of FA, Misi (Miami) and Davis (Denver) is who I would target, the LB Corp could be really good and part of a dynamic front seven.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I still wonder....sorry no crow taste in my mouth yet...still question, if he can stay healthy an entire season as an inside linebacker....I have no doubts that Barron is a fantastic player....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still wonder....sorry no crow taste in my mouth yet...still question, if he can stay healthy an entire season as an inside linebacker....I have no doubts that Barron is a fantastic player....
C8ENqhF.png

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With Ogletree and Barron locked up inside and Longacre (although he is listed as a DE) and a couple of promising rookies the Rams LB corp looks to be in good shape. By targeting a couple of FA, Misi (Miami) and Davis (Denver) is who I would target, the LB Corp could be really good and part of a dynamic front seven.
Unusual that I would have a differing opinion from you here but I really like what we have behind Mark & Alec inside.

Bryce Hager has played well in cameo instances as Alec's back up & play caller. Hager will return next season & he is signed @ a econo price too. This is Hager's 3rd season & he has always been ready & healthy to play in all games since his arrival as a Ram draft selection in 2015.

Cory Littleton has played well since he arrived. Seems like whenever he is on the field he makes plays. Cory is a dandy back up to Mark Barron. Cory is also signed here next season too @ a low econo price too. Both Hager & Cory have major roles on all ST's. We also saw Wade play Samson Ebukam inside during all 4 pre season games.

I would plan to go with what we have now next season on the inside & concentrate on the exterior 2 posts myself. I agree with locking up ER Matt Longacre @ a econo priced contract for 2 more seasons. Matt is already out playing , out producing Rob Quinn so it would be foolish not to secure him down to start again.

The 2018 highest paid Ram Robert Quinn needs to be released ASAP when the season endsto get a near 26 million back into the Rams salary cap bank & check to see ER Conner Barwin is interested in remaining a Ram for the next few seasons @ close to what his salary was this season.... having a Captain/ Veteran leadership like Barwin here for a few more seasons would pay big dividends once we get into the playoffs.

That would leave Samson Ebukam & Ejuan Price here to fill the Barwin void if that occurs. There is also Carlos Thompson who is on the IR that looked like a good ER prospect before his ankle injury.

I would suggest to Snead Use the 3rd day of the 2018 Draft to find a few edge rushers that are always available due to the massive glut of college 34 "D" tweeners Edge Rushers each year.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I like what we have seen of Littleton much more than Hagar, although Hagar has been solid. I also like Ebukam as well as he looks like an explosive play maker.
I agree with Barwin as well, good leadership and solid play at a low price.
My logic with the FA additions is Misi provides a sizeable upgrade (in my opinion) at OLB.
Davis can provide good vet depth (that knows Wades system) across the board in my opinion. Littleton is listed as an OLB. If the Rams want to add more passrush on a down they could move Longacre to DE and drop Ekubam to OLB for example.
OLB Misi, Longacre backed up by Littleton, Ebukam....ILB Ogletree, Barron backed up by Hagar, Davis with Price and Barwin filling out the depth. Littleton, Ekubam, Davis, Barron, Ogletree can each play inside or outside in my opinion. Gives great depth and flexibility.
Quinn will clear $11M in cap space. Using that money to sign Misi and Davis makes sense to me (assuming they both could be had for that amount or less) to improve one OLB slot and improve depth across the board at LB.

Ram65

Legend
Mark Barron, at a seemingly undersized 6 feet 2 and 225 pounds for an inside linebacker, was not among the nervous.

“I wasn’t worried about it all,” Barron said. “Just tell me what you need me to do, what’s my responsibility, and I’m going to go and try to find a way to make plays within that scheme.”
Barron, 28, has done that for a Rams team that is 7-2 and atop the NFC West heading into Sunday’s game against the Minnesota Vikings at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.

Barron is in the middle of things both good and bad.

He has missed a few tackles up the middle for big runs. Teams schemed him and Tree, early in the season, on passing routes to the sides. They had trouble getting to the RBs earlier in the season. He also makes plays like last week's INT before the half. He has covered better and makes tackles before the line of gain.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/mark-barron/7013
2017 PFF Grades
Overall 82.0----- Above Average
#14 LB

It hard to tell how he does play in and play out, without lots of video study, so I looked up his grade above. He does stay on the field 91.61% of the snaps. That has to be a big help being able to stay on the field and ready to play every week. Looks like he makes up for some missed tackles which haven't hurt the Rams much this year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BarrMa00/fantasy/2017

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

You gotta give the dude cred though on his improvement in this scheme. It's night and day right now. He's gone from being a "see ball get ball" freelancer type athlete to a good ILB who can execute consistently under Wade. Obviously he has really taken to the coaching and approach of this staff and it's paying off.

And the funny thing with Barron is that his ability is legit round one type stuff. He's not agile in coverage, but he's got good range and can cover better than many LBs. As long as he keeps working on that gap discipline and avoids the freelancing he might continue to improve. Might not have hit his ceiling yet, and the same can be said for Ogletree in this scheme.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I was very skeptical of the 45 million dollar contract but notch another one up for Snead.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I still wonder.....still question, if he can stay healthy an entire season as an inside linebacker.....
I don't think you should coach with that mindset and I don't think you should play with that mindset....unless there is a history of injuries with that player.
JMO

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't think you should coach with that mindset and I don't think you should play with that mindset....unless there is a history of injuries with that player.
JMO
No...you shouldn't or can't play like that...

but as a fan...from the outside....

Moving players from safety to linebacker...is kinda like moving receivers to running back...

unless I guess...the players (Barron and in some case Tavon) are exceptional...and played these positions before...

but the game is rougher...in that box....I'm sure Barron could tell the difference....SS's play in the box a lil...but not as often as a ILB

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You gotta give the dude cred though on his improvement in this scheme. It's night and day right now. He's gone from being a "see ball get ball" freelancer type athlete to a good ILB who can execute consistently under Wade. Obviously he has really taken to the coaching and approach of this staff and it's paying off.
Still has trouble getting off blocks...

But his chase the play skills...his coverage skills....tackling skills....very good player imo.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
No...you shouldn't or can't play like that...

but as a fan...from the outside....

Moving players from safety to linebacker...is kinda like moving receivers to running back...

unless I guess...the players (Barron and in some case Tavon) are exceptional...and played these positions before...

but the game is rougher...in that box....I'm sure Barron could tell the difference....SS's play in the box a lil...but not as often as a ILB
Another thing I was skeptical on was Barron inside, but come on, results are results.
It's not a problem until it's a problem.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Gee that was a pretty good play by Case Keenum.
Like highlight material! :D