Vance Joseph to Denver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

whitedk57

Ram fan for life
Name
Duane
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...os-coach?campaign=fb-nf-sf50458842-sf50458842

Vance Joseph expected to be hired as Broncos coach
_Sessler-65x90.jpg

• By Marc Sessler
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Jan. 11, 2017 at 02:18 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 11, 2017 at 02:24 p.m.

The Denver Broncos are about to have a new head coach.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that Vance Joseph is expected to be hired as Denver's new head coach by the end of the day, according to sources informed of the situation. Joseph spent the past season as defensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins.

Joseph staged his first interview with the club on Tuesday before returning for a second meeting on Wednesday with Broncos football czar John Elway. This time around, Joseph stayed.

"He has great leadership qualities and a strong vision of what it takes to win," Elway tweeted of Joseph on Tuesday.

Joseph replaces the retired Gary Kubiak, who he worked under for three seasons -- from 2011 to 2013 -- with the Houston Texans as a defensive backs aide. He played that same role the following two years in Cincinnati before Dolphins coach Adam Gase nabbed Joseph as his defensive coordinator in 2016.

"Going against him over the last few years, he was probably the one guy that would drive me nuts," Gase said of Joseph, per DenverBroncos.com. "I know he gave us tons of fits when we played him when we were in Houston. And then two years ago when he was in Cincinnati and we were in Denver, it was a tough matchup. I think his DBs picked us off four times.

"His knowledge of defense and what he brings to the table and his ability to really go after an offense, as far as really teaching his guys what's going on, it's very impressive."

Miami's defense struggled under Joseph down the stretch -- and collapsed Sunday against the Steelers -- but that failed to shake Denver's intense interest in the respected 44-year-old coach. Elway conducts his searches carefully and certainly leaned on Kubiak and former Broncos play-caller Gase for insight into Joseph's development and potential.

Seen by many as the NFL's premier vacancy, the Broncos give Joseph plenty to work with on defense. One season removed from Super Bowl glory, Denver remains a dangerous and disruptive unit on this side of the ball while anchored by All-Pro pass rusher Von Miller.

Also boasting a nasty secondary led by cornerbacks Chris Harris and Aqib Talib, Denver's roster puts Joseph in a position to win right away. The question is whether he can elevate this defense to the heights it reached under former coordinator Wade Phillips, whose contract has expired.

Joseph must also hire the right collection of offensive assistants to groom two young quarterbacks -- Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch -- who will battle all spring and summer for the team's starting spot under center.

Elway had plenty of quality candidates to choose from. After what he's pulled off during his tenure in Denver, the quarterback-turned-front-office-guru has earned our trust. This is Joseph's team now.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Good for us, I think he'll make a decent coach, just don't think he fit our profile. Now that DEN has a HC that still leaves Patricia, McDaniels, Shanahan, and McVay for us.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I thought the Miami defense was pretty average...in fact, bunch of stuff looked terrible.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Does Philips not run a 3-4?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep, so that would mean total re-tool of the defensive front if he was hired. I think he's ready to retire, which is why he didn't sign an extension with Denver.
He's said that he can run a 43 hasn't he ?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yep, so that would mean total re-tool of the defensive front if he was hired. I think he's ready to retire, which is why he didn't sign an extension with Denver.

If he was ready to retire, he wouldn't have allowed his name to be used by Sean McVay.

HC candidates dont just pick candidates out of the air. They pick candidates they think they can get who will want to work with them and are the best fit.

If Philips was done, his name wouldn't have come up.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm sure Kyle Shanahan could get Phillips too and if he is hired by the Rams, Phillips will want to sign on instead of awaiting if McVay ends up in San Francisco.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Best are still left for the Rams to chose from!! I hope we don't wait any longer than we have to! The sooner the better!!

Then you don't want Shannahan . NE is still deep in playoffs as well.