Van Brocklin Record Is Now 65 Years Old

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
The record for most yards passing in a single game was set by Rams quarterback Norm Van Brocklin on September 28, 1951 against the New York Yanks. It amazes me that this record was set in 1951 and hasn't been broken yet in today's pass happy league. If you ever have a chance, look up the Rams offensive statistics from 1949 to 1952 and compare them to other teams during those years. They actually make the GSOT pale in comparison.

van brocklin.jpg
NormVanBrocklin1027.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The record for most yards passing in a single game was set by Rams quarterback Norm Van Brocklin on September 28, 1951 against the New York Yanks. It amazes me that this record was set in 1951 and hasn't been broken yet in today's pass happy league. If you ever have a chance, look up the Rams offensive statistics from 1949 to 1952 and compare them to other teams during those years. They actually make the GSOT pale in comparison.

View attachment 16740 View attachment 16741
Ah Yes, I remember it well!! It was my 1st year as a Rams Fan, and it happened 1 week after my Birthday!! ( By the way, in case no one has noticed, the "Yanks" are no more, and the Rams weren't too bad from 1945-1949 either!!:D)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just because this Thread sparked some memories! In 1951, the Rams where alternating between Van Brocklin and Waterfield as QB, But I remembered we Played Green Bay twice that year ( there weren't that many teams in the League, so it wasn't unusual!) and these where the out-comes ..
1951@PACKERS-RamsTowler.jpg
" 28-ZIP!!"

My 1st Live game 42 to 14.jpg

And this was the 1st game I ever attended, We Spanked them 42-14!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Just because this Thread sparked some memories! In 1951, the Rams where alternating between Van Brocklin and Waterfield as QB, But I remembered we Played Green Bay twice that year ( there weren't that many teams in the League, so it wasn't unusual!) and these where the out-comes ..
View attachment 16742 " 28-ZIP!!"

View attachment 16743

Dave you took your grandkids to that game didn't you. :rolllaugh:

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler

View attachment 16743
That's awesome Dave! Thanks for sharing some history with u us all.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!

View attachment 16743
Dave your memories and experience with the team is something non of us younger generational people can even fathom!

Your memories and experiences are always appreciated because I for one are completely ignorant to anything below 1988 ish for the most part other than the bug highlights ( super bowl 1979 ) etc.

Please feel free to rant on anything like this! I've watched clips etc of Norm Van Brocklin and others etc buy nothing is like someone who lived through it and experienced it!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Dave your memories and experience with the team is something non of us younger generational people can even fathom!

Your memories and experiences are always appreciated because I for one are completely ignorant to anything below 1988 ish for the most part other than the bug highlights ( super bowl 1979 ) etc.

Please feel free to rant on anything like this! I've watched clips etc of Norm Van Brocklin and others etc buy nothing is like someone who lived through it and experienced it!
" The key thing to remember is ' Waterfield' was a way better Football Player than Van Brocklin! I don't care about the Passing Yards!"
That, and Never-Ever give up hope when it comes to the Rams Winning a Game!!(y)(y)(y):mrburnsevil:

When in Doubt, Read my Sig Below

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whenever I hear a discussion about the best quarterbacks in NFL history, and there's no mention of Bob Waterfield and Otto Graham, I just shake my head. Everything is biased to recent history because no one takes the time to study the past. It's really sad that no one realizes that the foundation of the game we all love today was laid a long time ago by some great players who seem to have been forgotten.

Corbin

" The key thing to remember is ' Waterfield' was a way better Football Player than Van Brocklin! I don't care about the Passing Yards!"
That, and Never-Ever give up hope when it comes to the Rams Winning a Game!!(y)(y)(y):mrburnsevil:

When in Doubt, Read my Sig Below

Waterfield was how much of a better than Van Brocklin? Why? Athleticism?Attitude? Just that 'it' factor that got it done?
I know they shared the field and team for a bit and both had their own great things about them.

Whenever I hear a discussion about the best quarterbacks in NFL history, and there's no mention of Bob Waterfield and Otto Graham, I just shake my head. Everything is biased to recent history because no one takes the time to study the past. It's really sad that no one realizes that the foundation of the game we all love today was laid a long time ago by some great players who seem to have been forgotten.
I agree totally and think there isn't enough of people who know this history aren't educating the younger generation on them. I know both were great players but that's only through very short films and HOF.

Not very many people can tell you what they did like today if somebody asked me about Beastmode's run against the Saints I specifically lay the situation, the back drop of the season and also what part of the game and describe the run in detail to how great of a run it was for example.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

But that's history in a nutshell when I reference something historical from the 80's for example at work somebody will utter "Well, I wasn't around then." And I will respond: "I wasn't around during the civil either, but I can still talk intelligently about it."

It's tough if you never seen them play, however, usually that information is past down from generation to generation.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
It is pretty remarkable that record hasn't fallen with defenses barely allowed to play defense now....and all the no huddle offenses.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Waterfield was how much of a better than Van Brocklin? Why? Athleticism?Attitude? Just that 'it' factor that got it done?
I know they shared the field and team for a bit and both had their own great things about them.
I watched them both a lot growing up, and while Van Brocklin may have had the Better arm going Deep, Waterfield had everything else! As you say, He was better Athletically, his attitude on the Field was more inspiring to the rest of the Team, they Played better for him than NVB. Yes he, Waterfield had that " IT Factor!

waterfield7.jpg

Waterfield6.jpg

Showing off.jpg

Plus, both Van Brocklin and Waterfield where Both Kicker's/Punter's for the Rams too and Waterfield was better at that Too!

Corbin

I watched them both a lot growing up, and while Van Brocklin may have had the Better arm going Deep, Waterfield had everything else! As you say, He was better Athletically, his attitude on the Field was more inspiring to the rest of the Team, they Played better for him than NVB. Yes he, Waterfield had that " IT Factor!

View attachment 16782
View attachment 16783

View attachment 16784
Plus, both Van Brocklin and Waterfield where Both Kicker's/Punter's for the Rams too and Waterfield was better at that Too!
Haha thank you for that! Something I wish I could do is go back and be in the stands of those games. There is nothing like being in the stands and being able to to see things or feel the vibe of things you just can't get from watching the game on TV!

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Both Van Brocklin and Waterfield would have been good QB's in todays NFL.
Pfft, you realize Van Brocklin threw 2 INTs in that game? An NFL coach today would have ignored those little 554 yards and 5 TDs and declared "we need to take care of the football better" while cutting Van Brocklin.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
It is kind of wild to think of the former Rams that hold Sacred Offensive Records

Single Game Passing Norm Van Brocklin 554 yards

Single Game Receiving Willie Flipper Anderson 336 yards

Single Season Rushing Eric Dickerson 2,105 yards

Single Game Superbowl Passing Kurt Warner 414 yards

Rams on Top of the Mountain
ramsnavicon.png

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It is kind of wild to think of the former Rams that hold Sacred Offensive Records

Single Game Passing Norm Van Brocklin 554 yards

Single Game Receiving Willie Flipper Anderson 336 yards

Single Season Rushing Eric Dickerson 2,105 yards

Single Game Superbowl Passing Kurt Warner 414 yards

Rams on Top of the Mountain
ramsnavicon.png
Let's not forget DE Fred Dryer Holds the NFL Single Game Record for Safeties - 2 - (Against The Packers!)
Dryer3.jpg

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
You guys forgot night train

View attachment 16782
View attachment 16783

View attachment 16784
Let's not forget DE Fred Dryer Holds the NFL Single Game Record for Safeties - 2 - (Against The Packers!)
View attachment 16794
You guys also forgot Dick "Night Train" Lane and his 14 interceptions as a rookie in 1952!! The most ever in a season. Imagine how many he could of had if it was a 16 game season instead of 12!! Would of had like 18 at his pace!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You guys forgot night train

You guys also forgot Dick "Night Train" Lane and his 14 interceptions as a rookie in 1952!! The most ever in a season. Imagine how many he could of had if it was a 16 game season instead of 12!! Would of had like 18 at his pace!

Let's not also forget Deacon Jones and the sack record. According to his notes, he had twenty-eight sacks in one season - which would be far more than the NFL record.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Let's not also forget Deacon Jones and the sack record. According to his notes, he had twenty-eight sacks in one season - which would be far more than the NFL record.
I thought his best were 24 and 26 sacks? I could be horribly wrong. But thats what I remember reading. Both would be #1 and #2 in the record books anyway.

Last edited: