UCLA QB Brett Hundley plans to enter the 2015 NFL draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tt-hundley-plans-to-enter-the-2015-nfl-draft/

UCLA QB Brett Hundley plans to enter the 2015 NFL draft
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 25, 2014

bretthundley.jpeg
AP

College players usually wait until January to decide whether they’ll forgo their remaining NCAA eligibility to enter the NFL draft. UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley, however, appears to have his mind made up.

Hundley told Jim Rome that there’s a “really high” chance that he will leave UCLA and enter the 2015 NFL draft.

“The conversation keeps coming up,” Hundley said. “I’ve got my degree. I’ve done everything I wanted to do here. I’ve left something really, truly great, and I feel good.”

The 21-year-old Hundley, who redshirted in 2011 and has now been UCLA’s starter for three seasons, has a great deal of talent and might have been a first-round draft pick if he had entered the draft last year. At 6-foot-3 and 227 pounds, he has NFL size, he’s a good athlete and he has a strong arm.

There are, however, questions about Hundley’s accuracy and decision making, and he is probably at best the third quarterback prospect in next year’s draft, behind Oregon’s Marcus Mariota and Florida State’s Jameis Winston. Those questions aside, however, this seems like the right move. When the choice is between making millions in the NFL next year or risking injury while spending another year as an amateur, the decision is easy.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
He would be better served to stay another year, he still needs to develop mentally

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
He would be better served to stay another year, he still needs to develop mentally

Think that works in our favor if we draft him, he'll redshirt as a rookie unless Bradford and goes down next season. Ideally, I wouldn't mind having three QBs in the roster in 2015 (Bradford, Hill, and Hundley) for insurance. Hill can stick around if Bradford gets injured again until Hundley gets a general understanding of an NFL offense.

FRO

Legend
He needs to take care of himself financially. There isn't much he can do at college that will improve his stock. He has his degree already. He needs to make sure he gets his payday before he gets hurt or plays himself out of good draft position. A team with any sense won't rush him, and if he gets drafted by a team that rushes him he will take his lumps and grow from it.

I don't love him as a prospect. For me I would rather draft a prospect I love and knew would be a success. Yes we need a young talented QB, but taking a QB because you need one doesn't always work. We can't afford to draft a bust.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Hm. Not necessarily a bad decision, he's going to go fairly high no matter what. He already has his degree as a backup plan. He might as well go in the NFL, at the very least he sits out for the first year developing, and he can learn more in an NFL environment and also develop more physically in an NFL environment, which is always a positive. He's also getting a paycheck now. This way he's not risking injury in college, where his draft stock tanks and he gets picked low for not nearly as much money. Best case scenario for him, he's starting in the NFL and worse case scenario he's developing into a much better QB with NFL coaches while having a secure financial future.

Athos

Legend
He's honestly the only QB I'd want after Mariota. I don't know much about the other QBs besides Petty, but enough to know they all have extreme flaws.

It's Hundley or Mariota or nothing for me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Think that works in our favor if we draft him, he'll redshirt as a rookie unless Bradford and goes down next season. Ideally, I wouldn't mind having three QBs in the roster in 2015 (Bradford, Hill, and Hundley) for insurance. Hill can stick around if Bradford gets injured again until Hundley gets a general understanding of an NFL offense.

I endorse this!

If I see Hill attempt a pass next season I'm going to cry, the only thing getting me through this one is the thought of never having to see him again.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Id be ok with drafting Hundley in the second round and hope he doesn't play at all next season. I just worry that he wont be able to handle the speed of the nfl and end up looking like Davis did.

Athos

Legend
Hundley has waaaaaayyy more tools than Davis and played against superior competition to boot.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Accuracy is a problem, because he leads all QB's in the nation in completion percentage.

I'm all in in for Hundley, he's one of the few that I'd take at this point, especially if we don't have to give the goose to get him.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Id be ok with drafting Hundley in the second round and hope he doesn't play at all next season. I just worry that he wont be able to handle the speed of the nfl and end up looking like Davis did.

I will be shocked if Hundley lasts until the 2nd Round! If the Rams want him they better take him with their 1st pick!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I will be shocked if Hundley lasts until the 2nd Round! If the Rams want him they better take him with their 1st pick!
Yeah, he's a 1st rounder, I'd bet the house on that .

FRO

Legend
Accuracy is a problem, because he leads all QB's in the nation in completion percentage.

I'm all in in for Hundley, he's one of the few that I'd take at this point, especially if we don't have to give the goose to get him.
There is a difference between completion percentage and accuracy. Many of Hundley's passes are quick easy passes. Accuracy to me is ball placement. Putting the ball in the right spot on the receiver.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There is a difference between completion percentage and accuracy. Many of Hundley's passes are quick easy passes. Accuracy to me is ball placement. Putting the ball in the right spot on the receiver.

I have not seen Hudley enough, however, FRO as far as the USC game is correct because UCLA runs the hell out of the bubble screens...Now there were some great throws too, but I think against Stanford and most likely Oregon we can get a better read.

The only other issue is UCLA does not run one play where Hundley is under center. I do concur with the Doctor...I'm in on Hundley, but I have read that his other issue is reading defenses. The kid is smart, but football smart is in question.

Again DR RAM, Athos and yours truly are all in on Hundley, but I do want to see the upcoming games and the bowl game of course.

Athos

Legend
The only other issue is UCLA does not run one play where Hundley is under center. I do concur with the Doctor...I'm in on Hundley, but I have read that his other issue is reading defenses. The kid is smart, but football smart is in question.

Sad fact is, hardly any team runs plays under C these days. And if they do, it isn't every often per game. Those traditional under center styles are dying out in college because of the success of the spread.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Hundley has waaaaaayyy more tools than Davis and played against superior competition to boot.
Unfortunately one of those tools is not quickly reading defenses... no doubt has has way more physical talent than Davis but I fear he will panic, miss reads, and hold on to the ball too long like Davis was doing.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sad fact is, hardly any team runs plays under C these days. And if they do, it isn't every often per game. Those traditional under center styles are dying out in college because of the success of the spread.

Agreed and that's why there is an adjustment when they go pro. I understand the spread, but there are offenses that run that system that still have their QB's take snaps under center...Ohio State for example.

Athos

Legend
Agreed and that's why there is an adjustment when they go pro. I understand the spread, but there are offenses that run that system that still have their QB's take snaps under center...Ohio State for example.

How many snaps though? Unless it's Stanford's system, or Bama's even, I don't think 2-5 snaps a game is that much of a head start.

At any rate, with a guy like Hundley, I'm not sure I try to change him too much. Mariota either. Yes, you incorporate the under center style, but I think you play to the strengths the QB you draft gives you as well.

I'd worry more about getting them to scan the field and read defenses than worry about taking snaps under center.

Athos

Legend
Okay.

Here are some relevant videos I was able to find. (Wish we had some 2014 games to go on. Haven't been able to find any).

This one is from last year against Stanford. Definitely some things to work on. As the commentator said, intangibles there (short memory of mistakes etc) but tangibles need work. Surveying the field would definitely need work. Missing guys breaking open is definitely irritating.

And then there's this article.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-hundley-nfl-20141016-story.html

I think he has the right head for the game. He just has flaws, like every single QB that comes out unless you're in the Luck level, which just doesn't happen often at all.