Two Underdogs that Staked their Claim

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BadCompany

Rookie
Would it make more sense to put Hayes and/or Sims on the trade block, as opposed to Sam or Westbrooks? Get a better return, more cap space, younger, healthier, etcetera? I'm not saying either Sam or Westbrooks are better than the above two - yet - but we are still talking about backups here. If we can upgrade the return by a round or two, or perhaps use them in a package to get a replacement for Bradford if Hill isn't the answer...

I know its preseason, and I know that means squat once the regular season starts, and I know Sims and Hayes are PROVEN at the NFL level, but its something to consider, no?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Almost nobody. The bravest, strongest, and most handsome of us actually had him in the 53 man projected roster right before the first day of camp.

And some of us loved the signing & his chances immediately after they signed him. Of course, this someone also thought UDFA Tavarius Wilson could surprise and he didn't even make it to camp.:oops:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
And some of us loved the signing & his chances immediately after they signed him. Of course, this someone also thought UDFA Tavarius Wilson could surprise and he didn't even make it to camp.:oops:

Clearly I was talking about you. I'm not that brave or strong.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Would it make more sense to put Hayes and/or Sims on the trade block, as opposed to Sam or Westbrooks? Get a better return, more cap space, younger, healthier, etcetera? I'm not saying either Sam or Westbrooks are better than the above two - yet - but we are still talking about backups here. If we can upgrade the return by a round or two, or perhaps use them in a package to get a replacement for Bradford if Hill isn't the answer...

I know its preseason, and I know that means squat once the regular season starts, and I know Sims and Hayes are PROVEN at the NFL level, but its something to consider, no?

Sims I would consider trading because he's not vital. Hayes not a chance. Hayes is starter material that we got for cheap because he wanted to stay. We would get a good return, but he's worth way to much to our rotation. I dont want to lose either, but we're too packed.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Not sure why the two C's have locked down roster spots, haven't seen Jack from either of them.

Who said the two C's are locks? Other then Long, Quinn, Langford, Brockers, Donald and Hayes, I would say everyone else is on the bubble.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I think so and I don't see how Westbrooks does not make this team. From what I have seen so far, he has played as well as Sims and Hayes if not better.
Heck if we could pull off a trade similar to what TB and NE did and bring back some DB help that would be great. We would probably need to deal Hayes or Sims to get something worth anything in return but I would be comfortable dealing one of them because Westbrooks has looked that good IMO.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I don't get it, why are we trading away our talented d-lineman for 2015 draft picks when the 2014 season is just about to start ? Instead of trading them away for future picks I say we keep them and try to win some football games this year. I like Sam and Westbrooks and want to keep them but I'm not trading Hayes or Sims to make room for them. We either have a spot for them or we don't.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Watts has looked better than Mason in all aspects of the game. While Mason has had some nice runs it's just what Watts does and how he does it. He is so sure and his feet are spectacular. When you hear Marshall raving about this kid you know he is showing something. What really surprised me is that his blitz pickups have been very good. He is never going to just pancake somebody but he puts his entire body into the block. He catches out of the back field very good. He is going to make the team. We have a 4 head monster rushing attack

When we consider that just a couple or few years ago all that was on the roster was Jackson (and he played hurt way too often) I'm happy to see that 4 headed monster. They have turned what was a weakness two years ago into an area of strength and Fisher and Snead deserve kudos for that. Yeah Pead didn't seem to be worth it and now is out for the year but that isn't even a blip on the radar now is it.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get it, why are we trading away our talented d-lineman for 2015 draft picks when the 2014 season is just about to start ? Instead of trading them away for future picks I say we keep them and try to win some football games this year. I like Sam and Westbrooks and want to keep them but I'm not trading Hayes or Sims to make room for them. We either have a spot for them or we don't.

The reason it's brought up is that the Rams have more talented lineman than makes sense on the 53 - and need help at other positions. Trading somebody would allow them to keep an extra DB, for instance, which would likely impact 2014 success. Getting an extra pick is a huge bonus, of course. I've been suggesting Sims for a while - not that I don't like him - he's a very useful player. But given how deep the Rams are on the DL, he's less useful to the Rams than he would be to another team, AND I think he's likely peaked in usefulness. If the Rams can get deeper at another position while keeping a young player who should be useful this season and even more useful going forward, AND get a draft pick while saving cap space - well, that is good roster management.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
The reason it's brought up is that the Rams have more talented lineman than makes sense on the 53 - and need help at other positions. Trading somebody would allow them to keep an extra DB, for instance, which would likely impact 2014 success. Getting an extra pick is a huge bonus, of course. I've been suggesting Sims for a while - not that I don't like him - he's a very useful player. But given how deep the Rams are on the DL, he's less useful to the Rams than he would be to another team, AND I think he's likely peaked in usefulness. If the Rams can get deeper at another position while keeping a young player who should be useful this season and even more useful going forward, AND get a draft pick while saving cap space - well, that is good roster management.

The problem I see with it is you trade Sims and then Quinn or Long gets hurt and you've taken the biggest strength of the team and created a huge void, now we're depending on rookies. Our secondary has played well this preseason, we have a lot of young talent. If anything we could use more depth at linebacker but I don't think we need to trade our d-lineman to accomplish that. I just prefer to keep a strength a strength.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem I see with it is you trade Sims and then Quinn or Long gets hurt and you've taken the biggest strength of the team and created a huge void, now we're depending on rookies. Our secondary has played well this preseason, we have a lot of young talent. If anything we could use more depth at linebacker but I don't think we need to trade our d-lineman to accomplish that. I just prefer to keep a strength a strength.

In an ideal world - sure. But in the land of the 53 man roster hard decisions have to be made - and yes, gambles have to be taken. Do they lose a rookie who already can contribute and has a chance to get better and better? Do they trade a solid but non-star 4th DE to make room? Or do they have one less backup at a position like DB - where they are banged up already? And since the Rams are tight against the cap already, do they renegotiate with Long and push money into future years, or save some of that cap room by trading a vet? And since we know that there will be more needs next offseason, do they try to get an extra pick?

Yes, if there are enough injuries trading a DL now would hurt. If the Rams don't keep an extra DB that would hurt with injuries too. And assuming that the Rams believe that Sam has a bright future in the NFL, losing him would hurt too. They have to pick their poison - any choice in this case is a gamble with risks as well as benefits.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
In an ideal world - sure. But in the land of the 53 man roster hard decisions have to be made - and yes, gambles have to be taken. Do they lose a rookie who already can contribute and has a chance to get better and better? Do they trade a solid but non-star 4th DE to make room? Or do they have one less backup at a position like DB - where they are banged up already? And since the Rams are tight against the cap already, do they renegotiate with Long and push money into future years, or save some of that cap room by trading a vet? And since we know that there will be more needs next offseason, do they try to get an extra pick?

Yes, if there are enough injuries trading a DL now would hurt. If the Rams don't keep an extra DB that would hurt with injuries too. And assuming that the Rams believe that Sam has a bright future in the NFL, losing him would hurt too. They have to pick their poison - any choice in this case is a gamble with risks as well as benefits.

Tough decisions are going to have to be made thats for sure, it's a talented roster.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I really think Mason was a wasted pick, we didn't need a RB by any means. And now he's getting out performed by an undrafted guy.

Oh how the tides turn haha. Not saying you were supportive of him when he was drafted but I remember a lot of excitement how he would be the change of pace for Stacy.

I'm sure he'll come around, he just needs to learn to pass block better and find the open holes.

AZRamsFan93

Mason hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game, yet. He's a bit hesitant in reading the field and isn't showing the burst that I saw in college, just yet. I'm certainly not gonna call him a wasted pick when he's still learning the game. Watts is simply ahead of the curb.
As long as he doesn't trip over the curb!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Oh how the tides turn haha. Not saying you were supportive of him when he was drafted but I remember a lot of excitement how he would be the change of pace for Stacy.

I'm sure he'll come around, he just needs to learn to pass block better and find the open holes.

I was never one of the ones that were thrilled with the pick. It was not a position of need at all. I hope he does end up being a great player because he's a Ram now, but we'll see I guess.