TST: Rams Biggest Upcoming Roster Decisions Lie on the Defensive Side of the Ball

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5...upcoming-roster-decisions-defense-free-safety

Los Angeles Rams: Biggest Upcoming Roster Decisions Lie on the Defensive Side of the Ball
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_ on May 26, 2016

usa-today-9002240.0.jpg

Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

Over the past few years, the quarterback position has been a central focus, some would say a question mark, in the offseason for the St. Louis Rams. Whether it was Sam Bradford’s health, Nick Foles’ ability to return to Pro Bowl form, or anything in between, questions loomed.

That all changed about six weeks ago, when the Rams made a blockbuster trade with the Tennessee Titans in order to draft Cal QB Jared Goff.

Certainly there are questions about Goff’s ability to transition from the "Bear Raid" offense he ran in college to a pro style offense in the NFL. The next, maybe more pressing, question is how quickly the Rams’ can make that happen.

But there’s no question that he’s the future at the position.

And with the search for an answer at quarterback behind them, the Rams have more pressing roster decisions to make. According to ESPN’s Field Yates (In$ider), the Rams’ now need to find answers on the defensive side of the football.

Filling the defensive holes: When the Rams moved up to the No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft, many remarked that the move made sense because of the Rams' strong running game and defense. While that sentiment isn't wrong, it's worth noting that the defense has some major holes to fill from a production and leadership standpoint.

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins was a productive (albeit sometimes risk-taking) playmaker, linebacker James Laurinaitis played virtually every defensive snap and quarterbacked the defense, Rodney McLeod is an excellent free safety, and defensive end Chris Long was a pass-rusher and terrific leader. Accounting for those players is a task for L.A.

Yates, for the most part, is spot on here. I think some, like our very own QBKlass, felt it was time for Laurinaitis to go. Alec Ogletree will quarterback the defense in 2016, and that’s probably a good thing. And I’m not sure many feel there’s a significant drop-off in productivity, or leadership, between Chris Long and William Hayes.

As for the secondary, it became evident pretty early on that re-signing both Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson would prove difficult. The Rams ultimately lost Jenkins to the Giants, but appear to have found his replacement in former Titan Coty Sensabaugh. We should expect to see E.J. Gaines competing for that spot, as well. So they’ve got depth there.

The most pressing need, it seems, is finding a free safety who can step in and play at a level comparable to McLeod; who was on the field for 99.6% of all defensive snaps in 2015.

Cody Davis is the only player slotted at free safety on the team’s depth chart (which doesn’t include rookies/undrafted free agents). Maurice Alexander, Christian Bryant, Lamarcus Joyner will all be in the mix. And, should the Rams sign Donte Whitner, ESPN’s Nick Wagoner states the team feels he could step in at free safety if needed.

The Rams have done well to backfill holes created on their defense in this offseason, and it appears they’ve found capable starters for each of the key losses Yates mentions. As for free safety, it’s a wait-and-see situation that will be closely monitored as the Rams progress through their offseason program.

JC-3

UDFA
Name
JC-3
Nice article! Thanks for sharing...

Have a like, only one though!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Mo Alexander...this is your time young man....

And look out for Christian Bryant....and my new favorite, Brian Randolph.....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Mo Alexander...this is your time young man....

And look out for Christian Bryant....and my new favorite, Brian Randolph.....

Yes. I agree here as you well know...time to keep Mo at the same spot that he manned very well over the second half of the 2015 season. I know of no reason to unhinge Mo this yr. as he enters his 3rd season...Mo is destined to be Gregg's starting strong safety in this defense... "do not fight against this natural force". CB Bryant is also a good fit here as MO's back up @ SS too. It places both these special young DB's in very good position for the Rams to build on in the future. Both of these two safeties were drafted in 2014 by Fisher/Snead both should be here for many seasons.

Should be no decisions here @ LB'ing? Tree went out Mark stepped in & had produced like he belonged in the pro bowl & is now #2 on the Rams contract list amounts. JL departs in steps Ogletree who at the time of the injury was tearing up the NFL & playing like a all pro LB'er. Looks to me there is no decision needed here:heh:.

The secondary did loose two long time starters of the 10 DB's on the roster last season. So 8 Rams of the 10 still remain. Six of these 8 Ram DB's have been. or have been considered starters over the last 2 seasons. Three (Tru,TJ & Cody) have been here & entering their 4th season as a Ram. The other remaining 5 are entering their 3rd seasons. Then you add in new DB Ram young vet who is entering his 5th season Coty Sensabaugh & I see nothing but talented young veterans:)! That's Nine youthful DB's once again I see no big decisions here but trying to keep them from killing each other in their attempts to get on the field to play Sundays. How many DB's can you carry on a 53 mater roster? Looks to me there is room for only 1 spot left.

I see some big decisions in the DL. (#1)- Finding a way to keep the work load off of Rob Quinn. That means finding pass rushers from this present cadre who can pick up that share of the pass rushing duties. In TC & pre season I going to be busy finding out if Easley & Coples & Westbrooks can play Right DE post in a 43 & be effective. We already know Sims is a decent RDE in run defense. The (#2)- Finding out if there is a DL'er who can back up Micheal Brockers @ Nose Tackle..

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great post Boni.....what's upper! Check out Urias for the Dodgers tonight....He's gonna be special.
I don't see a DE...But a DT....pure 3 technique....Big ass Coples should be able to rotate down there as well. We'll see....Westbrooks needs to come to play...I mean REALLY PLAY.
Oh yeah, I see Christian Bryant as a pure FS....20 yards deep....He flies around just like TJ, McLeod, and Greg Williams likes....
and man, I can't wait to see Brian Randolph in horns....I have very little concerns with this defense. Seven, 3rd & 4th year players?!? Yeah we're set.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think WR is a bigger roster decision.
While I can agree to a certain extent that the "D" Question are important. I think your right! The WR questions are by far the Biggest and MOST important!!(y)(y)

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I think Rams have a lot of talent at safety. Mo Alexander doesn't look to have all the coverage instincts for a FS, and maybe not even as a SS.....I wonder if he would be better to be Mark Barron's backup....TJ McDonald is 'overplaying' for his size...he keeps getting hurt (every year, right?). So, I am happy with all the depth they are building. I am not worried about FS. Williams knows what he has. Randolph looks very intriguing....why wasn't he drafted. Is he a 4.4 like Cody Davis is a 4.4? Just joking....

IF Ogletree works out, and Quinn and Gaines at corner return to full health they will be very good.

VilleDeal

UDFA
cody is generally the fastest on the field per the EA/sport science gps chip tracker worn on the shoulder pads and reported and seen on the scoreboard during the game..... most games anyway.. .. so i would say his speed is legit.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
cody is generally the fastest on the field per the EA/sport science gps chip tracker worn on the shoulder pads and reported and seen on the scoreboard during the game..... most games anyway.. .. so i would say his speed is legit.

I think it's his hips and quickness that are the issues, rather than his long speed.