TST: Rams 2016 Draft Class Statistic Projections

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Los Angeles Rams 2016 Draft Class Statistic Projections
By BMule@_BMule on May 2, 2016

usa-today-8940800.0.jpg

Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports

Jeff Fisher and Les Snead's fifth draft class is in the books. What can we expect from our newest Rams for the 2016 season?

After this past weekend, we can finally put some names and faces to the draft picks that the Rams went into the 2016 NFL Draft with. Most of us suspected Cal QB Jared Goff would indeed be the number one overall selection but day three of the draft was much more of an unknown. What can we expect from this draft class?

Trying to keep it conservative and keeping in mind that some of these guys may not make the final 53 man squad and with Misone already giving his initial reaction on the draft class, here are some stat/role projections for the class.

QB Jared Goff
Goff may not start Week 1. but he should be inserted into the starting lineup very shortly after if all things go to plan. With that said, if he does not miss too many games, his rookie year should fall in line closely to what Sam Bradford did in 2010 and 2012, his rookie year and first year under Fisher.

Completions..... Attempts.......... Comp %........... Yards........... TDs............ INTs
.......341.....................570.................... 60%................... 3607.......... 19................ 14

TE Tyler Higbee
Higbee currently has a legal situation but in terms of TE competition on the current roster, has very little resistance to becoming the lead receiving TE on the team. With Higbee's sure hands and penchant for getting open and Lance Kendricks always coming up with big time drops, Higbee should be able to quickly find himself as Goff's security blanket. I don't think it's out of the question for him to match Jared Cook's 2013 season, but will more likely find himself in between that and Kendrick's 2015 season.

Targets............ Receptions............... Yards............ YPR................ TDs
...60.............................38....................... 458................ 12.0.................... 4

WR Pharoh Cooper
The WR position is a bit muddied currently but Cooper being a 4th round selection should bode well for him earning an opportunity early on. Some has been made of Cooper being similar to Tavon Austin but his usage might be much more along the lines of what Stedman Bailey's was prior to his head injury. With that in mind, here it goes:

Targets..... Receptions...... Yards...... YPR......... Rushes.... Yards......... YPC..... TDs
......32................20........... 290................ 14.5................ 5............... 70............ 14.0........ 3

TE Temarrick Hemingway
Hemingway is likely looking at the practice squad for 2016. I would consider it a shock if he gets much playing time at all on offense if he makes the 53 man roster this season. If he does it is likely on special teams. For that reason, we won't predict any offensive stats for Temarrick as of now.

MLB Josh Forrest
Forrest could be this year's Bryce Hager. He will likely be delegated to strictly special teams duties and possibly try and help fill the void left by Daren Bates. If Forrest sees a lot of snaps on defense, something probably went wrong on the injury front.

WR Michael Thomas
Thomas should have a clearer path to the 53 man roster than Hemingway does with the WR position being thin at the moment. It may likely come down to Thomas vs. Brian Quick in camp should there be a close battle and the Rams only deciding to keep 5 WRs.

Should they choose to keep six WRs, Thomas should be safe because of the uncertainty that surrounds Stedman Bailey's health and game shape. Whatever the case, his offensive output for 2016 probably will not be substantial. Using a combination of both Quick and Bradley Marquez' rookie seasons, we have:

Targets..... Receptions....... Yards........... YPR....... TDs
....22..................12.................... 122............ 10.2............ 1

So there you have it. While it may seem on the low side of the projection scale, it is not too far off of previous Rams performers in this offense. Can Goff elevate this offense in year one? We will find out soon enough when the pre-season rolls around how these offensive players might fit into the plans for 2016.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
570 pass attempts? With a 50/50 run/pass ratio, that would put the Rams at 70 offensive plays a game.

Iirc, they averaged slightly less than 60 last year, 58 iirc, and the defense averaged around 68 plays.

In the aggregate, that's a lot of plays. To increase the number of offensive plays by 21% ( adding 12 to 58, but correct me if my numbers are off), that seems like a lot.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
570 pass attempts? With a 50/50 run/pass ratio, that would put the Rams at 70 offensive plays a game.

Iirc, they averaged slightly less than 60 last year, 58 iirc, and the defense averaged around 68 plays.

In the aggregate, that's a lot of plays. To increase the number of offensive plays by 21% ( adding 12 to 58, but correct me if my numbers are off), that seems like a lot.

We have to believe improved QB play and overall offensive production means a pretty significant increase in first downs. That means more plays. So I think it's realistic considering we were dead last in almost every category.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Los Angeles Rams 2016 Draft Class Statistic Projections
By BMule@_BMule on May 2, 2016

usa-today-8940800.0.jpg

Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports

Jeff Fisher and Les Snead's fifth draft class is in the books. What can we expect from our newest Rams for the 2016 season?

After this past weekend, we can finally put some names and faces to the draft picks that the Rams went into the 2016 NFL Draft with. Most of us suspected Cal QB Jared Goff would indeed be the number one overall selection but day three of the draft was much more of an unknown. What can we expect from this draft class?

Trying to keep it conservative and keeping in mind that some of these guys may not make the final 53 man squad and with Misone already giving his initial reaction on the draft class, here are some stat/role projections for the class.

QB Jared Goff
Goff may not start Week 1. but he should be inserted into the starting lineup very shortly after if all things go to plan. With that said, if he does not miss too many games, his rookie year should fall in line closely to what Sam Bradford did in 2010 and 2012, his rookie year and first year under Fisher.

Completions..... Attempts.......... Comp %........... Yards........... TDs............ INTs
.......341.....................570.................... 60%................... 3607.......... 19................ 14

TE Tyler Higbee
Higbee currently has a legal situation but in terms of TE competition on the current roster, has very little resistance to becoming the lead receiving TE on the team. With Higbee's sure hands and penchant for getting open and Lance Kendricks always coming up with big time drops, Higbee should be able to quickly find himself as Goff's security blanket. I don't think it's out of the question for him to match Jared Cook's 2013 season, but will more likely find himself in between that and Kendrick's 2015 season.

Targets............ Receptions............... Yards............ YPR................ TDs
...60.............................38....................... 458................ 12.0.................... 4

WR Pharoh Cooper
The WR position is a bit muddied currently but Cooper being a 4th round selection should bode well for him earning an opportunity early on. Some has been made of Cooper being similar to Tavon Austin but his usage might be much more along the lines of what Stedman Bailey's was prior to his head injury. With that in mind, here it goes:

Targets..... Receptions...... Yards...... YPR......... Rushes.... Yards......... YPC..... TDs
......32................20........... 290................ 14.5................ 5............... 70............ 14.0........ 3

TE Temarrick Hemingway
Hemingway is likely looking at the practice squad for 2016. I would consider it a shock if he gets much playing time at all on offense if he makes the 53 man roster this season. If he does it is likely on special teams. For that reason, we won't predict any offensive stats for Temarrick as of now.

MLB Josh Forrest
Forrest could be this year's Bryce Hager. He will likely be delegated to strictly special teams duties and possibly try and help fill the void left by Daren Bates. If Forrest sees a lot of snaps on defense, something probably went wrong on the injury front.

WR Michael Thomas
Thomas should have a clearer path to the 53 man roster than Hemingway does with the WR position being thin at the moment. It may likely come down to Thomas vs. Brian Quick in camp should there be a close battle and the Rams only deciding to keep 5 WRs.

Should they choose to keep six WRs, Thomas should be safe because of the uncertainty that surrounds Stedman Bailey's health and game shape. Whatever the case, his offensive output for 2016 probably will not be substantial. Using a combination of both Quick and Bradley Marquez' rookie seasons, we have:

Targets..... Receptions....... Yards........... YPR....... TDs
....22..................12.................... 122............ 10.2............ 1

So there you have it. While it may seem on the low side of the projection scale, it is not too far off of previous Rams performers in this offense. Can Goff elevate this offense in year one? We will find out soon enough when the pre-season rolls around how these offensive players might fit into the plans for 2016.

like.png

Great work!!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It is a lot, but look at it this way. If the Rams convert one more 3rd play per half, that would be at least 6 more plays right there. Now, sometimes in the longer series they will end up adding another first down or two - not third down conversions, but first or second. Meanwhile, the defense will be a little fresher, so they may get the occasional extra 3 and out, giving the ball back to the offense sooner.

I don't think overall it's likely, but it's possible that the overall offense will be that much more efficient next year with a rookie QB and a couple better passing targets - oh, and a full season of Gurley, and an OL that has improved with experience.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Oh, I do think we'll see an improvement. I really do.

I just think expecting over a 20% improvement with a rookie QB with our schedule is... really optimistic.

Our schedule is a downright booger...

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Oh, I do think we'll see an improvement. I really do.

I just think expecting over a 20% improvement with a rookie QB with our schedule is... really optimistic.

On nfln they said we had the 3rd easiest...

But nobody really knows until the season has begun.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Might be using a different measurement. For last years SOS we have a very tough schedule. They could be counting rushing or passing defense.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's not really tougher than the Rams' 2015 schedule though - they had the third toughest schedule by record last season, and going into 2016 it looks like the third toughest schedule. The OL will be much more seasoned. Gurley will be around the full season. Foles is likely to be on another team. Quick either will be a factor, or will be gone. The receiving corps as a whole should be better - pretty much would have to be, with some nice additions, as opposed to the crippled group the Rams had last season (Britt, Austin, fumble fingers Cook, an injured Kendricks with one hand, Stedham getting shot, UDFA rookies, a player nobody wanted initially coming back at midseason)

A lot of ifs, naturally - but improvement seems likely. And things like that can be synergistic - a somewhat better performance at QB, Gurley all season, a couple of receivers who can hold onto the ball with a QB who gets it to them, enough other options that Austin is slightly more open, etc

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think Goff is going to out-perform Bradford's rookie year. Britt is going to have a great year, Kendricks and Hemingway are going to have a great year, Austin is going to tear it up, Gurley is going to be rampant - you know what, this offence could become damn dangerous guys.

We're going to complete more 1st downs. I love Hekker, but I want to see less of him on the field this year :)

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
One thing I do know, we now have two receivers (possibly three woth Thomas) and a runningback who can score on any given play. It's been a few years...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

The 50/50 is off the mark by a decent amount. The Rams under Fisher are not "run forst" and I don't know why that myth persists.

They pass a decent amount more than they run.

Athos

Legend
Goff should put up, at least, better #s than Sam's rookie year. That 2010 unit was hot steamy garbage with a side of bloated maggot filled roach juice.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Goff put up 43 TD's last year and 4700+ yards with only 13 ints.

Behind an inferior OL.

Yeah, he was in the spread, but still...

And now Higbee, Cooper, Thomas, and this North kid have been added to Britt and Austin.

I think it's reasonable to assume that Boras is gonna boost the passing attempts over the '15 numbers. To do otherwise would be criminally stupid, don't you think?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think it's reasonable to assume that Boras is gonna boost the passing attempts over the '15 numbers. To do otherwise would be criminally stupid, don't you think?
Oh for sure. Last year was the worst year under Fisher in terms of pass attempts, but it's easy to figure out why. But I don't think it'll be much more than 500-530 pass attempts as long as Gurley's healthy and they can mix Tavon into the run game some more. What will be key is how much Goff makes of the pass attempts he does get. And I think that's going to be the difference between a successful offense and what we've seen to this point.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Goff put up 43 TD's last year and 4700+ yards with only 13 ints.

Behind an inferior OL.

Yeah, he was in the spread, but still...

And now Higbee, Cooper, Thomas, and this North kid have been added to Britt and Austin.

To put Goff's college numbers in prospective.
Keenum 71% comp. 5631 yds 48 td's 5int in his last season.
In other words, school is over the past is the past, New league new game.

…..

Legend

Some teams have it pretty rough in 2016
Ranking the NFL's Toughest Schedules of 2016 Season
NFL_shield_logo.jpg
On Thursday night, the NFL took the headlines in the sports world by releasing the 2016 regular season schedule. By doing this, every fan across the country started the age-old tradition of putting Ws and Ls next to each opponent. Mind you, we still have the draft, a little bit more free agency and a whole preseason still to come, but that doesn't stop the predictions. The funny thing about the whole process is that we know the opponents as soon as the previous season ends because the format stays the same. Every team plays a division from the opposite conference as well as one in its own.
Fans won't know everyone that is starting for their team come Week 1, but what we do know is how tough each schedule is based on last year's record. With that, let's put a little perspective and numbers to the typical fan's cry of "we have a tough schedule" or "it's a cake walk to 13-3."
This list goes from toughest to easiest:
1. Atlanta Falcons
Atlanta-Falcons.png
NFC/AFC Crossover: NFC West, AFC West
Swing Games: Green Bay, at Philadelphia
Opponents ’15 Record: 55.5% (T-1st)
The Falcons will learn a lot about themselves pretty quickly with four of their first six games away from the dome. Atlanta opens up with Tampa Bay, which is working towards being a better squad. After that though the Falcons have a pair of two-game road trips sandwiched around a home date against Carolina on Oct. 2. Oh yeah, one of those back-t- backs is at Denver followed by at Seattle. The bye week doesn't come until Week 11 after Atlanta plays at Tampa and at Philadelphia. The one saving grace is four of the final six are at home, but how far out of contention will Atlanta be after a rough start?
Related: Atlanta Falcons Have NFL's Toughest Schedule in 2016
2. San Francisco 49ers
San-Fransico-49ers.png
NFC/AFC Crossover: NFC South, AFC East
Swing Games: at Carolina, Dallas
Opponents ’15 Record: 55.5% (T-1st)
Good luck to Chip Kelly as his young 49ers will be tested this season. San Francisco plays at Carolina and Seattle in Weeks 2 and 3 after welcoming Los Angeles (still weird to type) to town on Monday night. Four of the 49ers’ final six are on the road including two straight back-to-backs. We'll see what this team does when it plays at Miami and Chicago Weeks 12 and 13. The two home games over that span are against New England and the Jets. Chip will swear his team is in the SEC after navigating this slate.
3. New York Jets
New-York-Jets.png
AFC/NFC Crossover: AFC North, NFC West
Swing Games: at Kansas City, Indianapolis
Opponents ’15 Record: 53.1% (T-7th)
If there's anyone who could gripe about the schedule, it's the Jets. They've got three back-to-backs on the road before their late bye in Week 11. To make things more difficult, the three home games over that span are against Cincinnati, Seattle and Baltimore. The good thing about the late bye is that it gives Todd Bowles extra time to prepare for the Patriots, which come to town for a Sunday night game Thanksgiving weekend (Nov. 27). The team also has a couple of quick turnarounds going from a Monday night game at home against Indianapolis to playing at San Francisco six days later and then home against Miami six days after that. Based on this slate, the Jets could take a step back.
4. Washington Redskins
Washington-Redskins.png
NFC/AFC Crossover: NFC North, AFC North
Swing Games: at Arizona, Carolina
Opponents ’15 Record: 49.2% (17th)
The Redskins better be ready because this might be one of the toughest schedules in football. They've got a three-game road trip that has them going to Dallas, Arizona and Philadelphia in consecutive weeks. Before they embark on that, the Redskins host Green Bay on Nov. 20, which means they have just four days to prepare for that Cowboys road game. Washington also heads to London to play the Bengals and has a quick turnaround towards the end of the season with five days between a home tilt with Carolina and a road game at Chicago on Christmas Eve. It's a friendly start with three of four at home although two of those matchups are against the Steelers and Cowboys.
5. Los Angeles Rams
St.-Louis-Rams.png
NFC/AFC Crossover: NFC South, AFC East
Swing Games: at Detroit, New York Giants
Opponents ’15 Record: 55.1% (3rd)
The NFL didn't give the Rams too much of a home-friendly start for their return to Los Angeles. They get to host Pete Carroll and Seattle in Week 2 before facing the Bills in the Coliseum in Week 5. The Rams also have a “home” game against the Giants in London in Week 7, meaning their Week 8 bye comes about halfway through the season. The Rams can make a run to close out the slate with three of four at home against Atlanta, San Francisco and Arizona. With Jeff Fisher as head coach, this means the closing stretch is for another 8-8 year.
- See more at: http://athlonsports.com/nfl/ranking-nfls-toughest-schedules-2016-season#sthash.Lx7JXxW6.dpuf