Tru Johnson is a player the Rams wants to "let breathe" in 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Trumaine Johnson - DB - Rams
http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news

Rams LCB Trumaine Johnson is a player the team wants to "let breathe" a bit in 2014.
It's part of the reason the Rams released CB Cortland Finnegan earlier this month. They want Johnson and RCB Janoris Jenkins to take the next step in their development and not have to look over their shoulders at a veteran like Finnegan. Johnson has the size (6-foot-2, 208) that every team looks for. Quarterbacks managed just a 74.5 passer rating while throwing at Johnson last season.
-----
From Mike Reiss:

I’m always fascinated with the various aspects of building a team and one line of thinking is that sometimes the addition of a veteran player can get in the way of the development of a youngster. This is something the Rams have had in mind this offseason, and it explains, in part, their less-than-proactive approach in signing unrestricted free agents. They want to see what they truly have in their younger players, with third-year cornerback Trumaine Johnson one prime example of a prospect they want to “let breathe” a bit. Is he a No. 1? A No. 2? There’s only one way to find out – put him in that position and see how he responds.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...908/quick-hit-thoughts-around-nfl-patriots-22

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

tru - qbs had 74.5 passer rating.

fin - qbs had 158.3 passer rating.

i don't think tru was looking over his shoulder at fin.

MFaulk107

The Realness
I've been watching the 2013 highlights and Tru is defiantly a good player. I only see him going up with a pretty high ceiling.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

tru - qbs had 74.5 passer rating.

fin - qbs had 158.3 passer rating.

i don't think tru was looking over his shoulder at fin.

The only people looking over there shoulder at Finny were the wr's that Fin was "covering" after they caught the ball.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
74.5 passer rating? That is a lot better than I imagined. I knew he had a great 3-4 game stretch but maybe I should re-evaluate how he played last year.

Even if Trumaine breaks out into an elite corner though, we still have atrocious depth at the CB position.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
74.5 passer rating? That is a lot better than I imagined. I knew he had a great 3-4 game stretch but maybe I should re-evaluate how he played last year.

Even if Trumaine breaks out into an elite corner though, we still have atrocious depth at the CB position.

Yea, i see us drafting at least two cb's this year with so little depth and with the amount of picks we have. Also lots of cb talent through the draft, very good year to get really good depth.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hard to figure how CB like Trumaine Johnson who run around 4.6 in a 40 could be as effective as he is in 2013 ! Whereas Janoris Jenkins runs a 4.45 easy all day had many more issues in 2013. Speed is not everything.

Johnson looks to have a very promising future as a Ram CB!

A55VA6

Legend
I've thought Tru has gotten better and better every time he steps on the field. I like the guy a lot. Hoping he can continue to improve!

SierraRam

Recreational User
Yea, i see us drafting at least two cb's this year with so little depth and with the amount of picks we have. Also lots of cb talent through the draft, very good year to get really good depth.

Agree, very deep at CB. Hopefully, we get one of the top 2 at #13 and another in the 4th or 5th. Get Bucannon or Ward at S and put Tru and Jenkins right up on the WR's. No more of those 10-yard slant gimmies! Quinn: 20 sacks

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hard to figure how CB like Trumaine Johnson who run around 4.6 in a 40 could be as effective as he is in 2013 ! Whereas Janoris Jenkins runs a 4.45 easy all day had many more issues in 2013. Speed is not everything.

Johnson looks to have a very promising future as a Ram CB!

There is another side affect to bad character sometimes. Some bad characters are very smart and others can be quite stupid. Trumaine Johnson plays smarter than Jenkins. With JJs ability he could be a shut down corner but if he doesn't have his head screwed on straight or lacks the acuity he won't reach his potential. It could also just come down to mental toughness. Whatever it was JJ took a step backward and Tru took a step forward.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I was surprised Fisher "allowed" such soft and repeatedly beat coverage for that duration ? (10 × games). Every game matters and we gave away at least 3 from a secondary standpoint.

Jenks and Tru were both ferocious bump n run corners in their respective college divisions. We saw a huge sophomore slump, which now under Gregg Williams will only open up an insanely lethal junior season. Just watch.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
There is another side affect to bad character sometimes. Some bad characters are very smart and others can be quite stupid. Trumaine Johnson plays smarter than Jenkins. With JJs ability he could be a shut down corner but if he doesn't have his head screwed on straight or lacks the acuity he won't reach his potential. It could also just come down to mental toughness. Whatever it was JJ took a step backward and Tru took a step forward.

I wouldn't say Tru plays smarter, but is just bigger. JJ was vulnerable against physical receivers, and he needs to hit the weight room this offseason.

Also, Walton fucking up the defense in the beginning of the season did not help.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree that Walton didn't help. But JJ took a step backwards either way. He was not as aggressive/physical as he was in 2012. He was more concerned with jawing than just playing sound coverage. Steve Smith showed him how much he has to learn. Johnson had better coverage in the same scheme so it can't be all scheme or both layers would have regressed.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree that Walton didn't help. But JJ took a step backwards either way. He was not as aggressive/physical as he was in 2012. He was more concerned with jawing than just playing sound coverage. Steve Smith showed him how much he has to learn. Johnson had better coverage in the same scheme so it can't be all scheme or both layers would have regressed.
I think we'll have to watch this year to see if it truly was Jenks taking a step back. You put a cover corner in a soft zone and I'm not sure you will ever get a good result. Let's see how they play him this season.