Trey Watts suspended

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

Trey Watts - RB - Rams
NFL suspended Rams RB Trey Watts for violating the league's policy against substance abuse.

The cause of the violation is not yet clear, but already being a bit player, Watt is a player the Rams could easily now rid themselves of. Watts' NFL value is on special teams, where he recorded six tackles last season.

May 29 - 3:52 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9943/trey-watts

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
302x7id.jpg

1zev806.jpg

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
Unfortunate, but it should be a pretty easy cut for the rams.

Wonderboy

Rookie
This clears a path for Chase Reynolds or even possibly (SUPER LONG SHOT) Isaiah Pead to make the team.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
That's too bad. It honestly won't have a lot of impact on the team, but I know they liked Watts a lot. Maybe this will allow us to bring in that fullback Laskey or something like that. Pead's roster spot seems more secure too

I can't see them keeping Watts at least. Fisher doesn't do well with selfishness and he's not a good enough player to keep him after this hole he dug for himself.

A55VA6

Legend
I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut now. He's replaceable.

This opens up an opportunity for guys like Pead and rookie Malcolm Brown.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
And Isaiah Pead just made the team ;):snicker:

Annoys me how Pead just keeps getting a free ride on the roster for doing nothing. I understand he has some skills blocking and catching and he did nice work on ST for a little bit, but he's not pulling his weight.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
In my opinion Pead was gonna make the team over Watts before this happend. Before Pead went down last year he had finally found a roll on special teams and was actually doing a damn good job. Pead is also has the best pass protection skills of any back on the roster and IMO the best recieving skills also. Pead makes this roster and makes an impact next year.

Wonderboy

Rookie
Annoys me how Pead just keeps getting a free ride on the roster for doing nothing. I understand he has some skills blocking and catching and he did nice work on ST for a little bit, but he's not pulling his weight.

Yea, I agree, tearing your ACL is just not pulling your weight! ;)

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
In my opinion Pead was gonna make the team over Watts before this happend. Before Pead went down last year he had finally found a roll on special teams and was actually doing a damn good job. Pead is also has the best pass protection skills of any back on the roster and IMO the best recieving skills also. Pead makes this roster and makes an impact next year.

In my opinion BamBam is much better at pass protection and as a receiver out of the backfield. Bam is better kickoff returner too.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/29/trey-watts-suspended-four-games-by-nfl/

Trey Watts suspended four games by NFL

Rams running back Trey Watts, an undrafted free agent who made the team in 2014 and who appeared in 14 games last season, has been suspended for the first four games of the 2015 season for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy.

The NFL announced the suspension on Friday.

Watts, the son of former Oklahoma quarterback and Congressman J.C. Watts, played college football at Tulsa. He gained 30 yards on seven carries as a rookie.

Watts is eligible to continue to participate in all offseason activities, training camp, and the preseason. The suspension begins after the fourth preseason game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pead tore his ACL on the first kickoff return in the 2nd preseason game - I wouldn't call that beating out anyone, especially since positions were still up for battle then. Reynolds has been nothing but a special teamer.

I'll take Pead's 3rd down and Gunning ability all day long - best 3rd down back on this team. Benny is the next closest, but really needs to work on his hands and stop dropping screen passes. I'd give Pead a leg up in pass pro as well, but like any other player there's no guarantees how he returns to health.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
I think where Pead was drafted biases a lot of people's views on him. He's as good as any other team's 3rd or 4th back/special teams player. He will never live up to his draft position, but he can pass protect, catch out of the backfield, be an average starter on a short term basis if needed, and play tough on special teams. As a 3rd or 4th back, I don't think you can expect anything better. Now watch him get cut so I look like an idiot.

Ram65

Legend

+1

It's 4 games. I'll let it play out. Long way till week 5. Look at all the bodies falling before camp starts. :rolleyes:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Yea, I agree, tearing your ACL is just not pulling your weight! ;)

Haha, not the ACL, I'll let him off on that one, but he never did anything before that either. He's making like $1.5M to do nothing.

iced

Haha, not the ACL, I'll let him off on that one, but he never did anything before that either. He's making like $1.5M to do nothing.

No that'd be givens lol - he doesn't even play ST

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
No that'd be givens lol - he doesn't even play ST

Yeah, Givens is useless now, but at least he's actually produced in his career. In my opinion, both are dead weight and can be replaced easily.

iced

Yeah, Givens is useless now, but at least he's actually produced in his career. In my opinion, both are dead weight and can be replaced easily.

Granted Pead had his headaches, but we did have one of the top coverage units when he was a Gunner. And he has 3rd down value. Irony is he got his head on straight toward the end of 2013 (fisher made him inactive mid season..i remember he missed a team flight, and i think was late to a meeting or something). He gets his first chance in a new season and boom, tears his ACL. Sad too, looked like he might have been able to take it to the house too

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000378792/Isaiah-Pead-leg-injury

I'm not a fan of cutting players who bring value and versatility, especially when you don't have an upgrade behind him.

As long as his knee returns to health and stays out of the dog house, I think his roster spot is safe.

Last edited: