Tre Mason's mother: RB is like '10-year-old' due to head injuries

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...njuries/ar-BBvXJdx?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

BBvXEhQ.img
© Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports Tre Mason's mother says her son is in a bad place because of head injuries.

Returning to the football field does not appear to be in the near future for Tre Mason, and you’ll understand why when you hear what his mother told police after one of the Los Angeles Rams running back’s many run-ins with the law back in July.

AdChoices
TMZ obtained footage that shows some of the July 27 ATV chase Mason led Palm Beach Police on, and it features a conversation between Mason’s mom and two officers. When police told Mason’s mother Tre should be playing football, she disagreed and noted that head injuries have left her son with a “10-year-old’s mindset.”

“No, actually, he shouldn’t, because this is the football that drives everybody that nobody even knows about,” she said. “He gets knocked around and everything else. There’s CTE and this head injury thing. You can say he should be playing football, but this is not what it is. After the offseason we could clearly see the change. Like, completely.”

Mason’s mother also said Tre isn’t even aware of what is going on with his career.

“As much as he’s accomplished, as hard as he’s worked, as much as he’s built his character, in record-breaking time it’s going downhill because of what’s going on,” she said. “He doesn’t even know. He’s not conscious enough.”

Mason is obviously going through a tough time, as police have been called to his home somewhere around six times in the past five months. During one of those incidents, he allegedly made some incredibly bizarre statements and punched a hole in a wall. If head injuries are the reason for the concerning behavior, not reporting to training camp is probably the best thing for Mason.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Can't help being sceptical about stories like this.

The head injuries excuse is too easy to throw out there the way things are now.

It might be true but that was just my first reaction.

Sincerely hope he'll end up ok whatever the truth is.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Difficult to know what to make of it. The science isn't advanced enough that we can take a look inside his head and see if all the neuroma are ok....

But when a grown man is spotted in his moms yard doing drills and thinking that means he's ok and doesn't need to go to training camp it doesn't look good. If he's got a head injury he should retire immediately and have a lawyer look at his options. Then hope someone can help him manage his money the rest of his life and not steal it.

dcramfan

UDFA
I call BS. He may have head injuries and it may effect him but this seems like an excuse to me. Gurley getting drafted has a lot to do with this as well IMO. This head injury excuse just seems like a universal excuse for a lot of people with unrelated mental, emotional or intelligence issues. A lot of the head injury explanations are just and real, but don't tell me a lot of bad behavior and unfortunate tragedies have nothing to do with head injuries and that is used as an excuse to save face and for monetary gains.

dcramfan

UDFA
Guy has serious issues though, and hopefully he can get his life on track. I wish him the best.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Cue the internet diagnoses.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don't recall his mother being a medical doctor.

I don't give a shit how old my son was... if he was in the state of mind this mother suggests, my son would have already been diagnosed by a team of medical professionals.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Bullshit. He never was even diagnosed with a concussion and only played one year. You don't develop CTE that quickly. It takes years or even decades to actually trigger in the brain.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
bullcrap. He never was even diagnosed with a concussion and only played one year. You don't develop CTE that quickly. It takes years or even decades to actually trigger in the brain.
I'm certain he's been playing "collision" tackle football since he was a kid.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Could be head injuries, could be mental illness, could be both, could be neither. We don't know - what we do know is that this is sad and I suggest we look to the situation with a sympathetic, rather than a skeptical eye.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I recently watched the movie Concussion.

Very sobering, to say the least.

CTE would be a very logical explanation of Mason's behavior, wouldn't it?

I'll just leave it at that.

Psycho_X

Legend
I could care less at this point. All I know is he is done with football and the Rams. Hopefully he gets the help he needs mentally cause I don't buy the brain injury bit. But maybe his mother should be getting him the help he needs instead of complaining about it in the media. But past that I won't spend another second worrying about him. I'd rather have Malcolm Brown's style of running than Mason's anyway.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
I recently watched the movie Concussion.

Very sobering, to say the least.

CTE would be a very logical explanation of Mason's behavior, wouldn't it?

I'll just leave it at that.

Yup. There's a whole list of brain disorders that Mason's symptoms fit. But of course you'll have people claiming it simply has to be just drugs, or that he's just immature.

For his sake, I hope they're right.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
More like he hasn't had to grow up mentally since he was in high school because coaches made every decision for him. He was probably walked through everything in college, and given everything he needed or wanted. Then he gets an NFL contract where he's babied by coaches.

As long as this isn't a game being played by a money hungry parent. Then who knows with the ambiguity of CTE. But for now, my money is on the silver platter everything was given to him on since high school.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm certain he's been playing "collision" tackle football since he was a kid.
Yeah, but enough to actually trigger CTE? Future NFL players are practically untouchable in high school and barely ever tackled let alone hit in the hard enough to get a concussion. Possibly college but again, it takes years for it to actually develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.