Tre Mason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Tre Mason goes into NFL Draft with chip on his shoulder
James Crepea, Montgomery Advertiser

AUBURN – There's been a chip on Tre Mason's shoulder for quite some time.

Luckily for the former Auburn running back, it's not an actual chip, though it probably wouldn't stop him from playing.

Toughness won't be an issue for NFL teams contemplating selecting Mason during the NFL Draft. He played through a sprained left ankle in several games last season, including the BCS National Championship game, and a wrist injury for much of the Iron Bowl, his historic SEC Championship game performance and the national title game.

The Heisman Trophy finalist wore a walking boot on his left foot in the week following his collegiate career-best 304 yards and four touchdowns against Missouri

"Once we got to practice after Christmas, he never missed a practice," Auburn running backs coach Tim Horton said. "I didn't even know anything about a wrist injury."

Ah yes, the infamous wrist injury.

During February's NFL Combine Mason disclosed he played through the pain, which was "not bad really at all."

Then came a report by NFL.com two weeks ago saying the Combine doctor felt it required surgery, which Mason quickly denied. A separate report from NFL.com a week ago stated Mason would pass a team physical.

All the reports only serve as further motivation for Mason, who had a program-record 1,816 yards and 23 touchdowns on 317 carries last season.

"When you have as many carries as he did and to say that he missed four or five days of pre-Christmas practice, after the SEC Championship game, that's a pretty tough sucker to me," Horton said. "I mean golly. I coached him and I didn't see any injury issues at all."

Horton charts how many yards his running backs gain after contact, or bull yards in coaching lingo. He said bull yards accounted for 45 percent of Mason's production last season.

"He's very good with the tough yards," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "He falls forward a lot."

The hope for Mason this weekend is that he doesn't fall too far in the draft pecking order.

He's considered a second or third round pick, meaning he's almost certainly going to be chosen during Friday evening's portion of the draft.

"His blocking needs to improve," ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. said. "But he caught the ball better and he's an excellent runner. He's a Ray Rice-type runner I believe. I would say third round for him."

Teams who pass on Mason are doing so at their own risk.

He's been "fueled by doubt" since his days at Park Vista High School in Palm Beach, Florida, when people said he was too small to play in college. Now it's pass blocking or a wrist injury.

Mason's heard it all before and he's up for a new test.

"The NFL is full of greats," Mason said. "Now it's time to challenge my skills against theirs."

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm good with this pick. Stacey wouldn't be able to carry the bulk of the load, IMO, and this guy looks like he can get around the edges.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
OMG I mentioned this pick as one I wanted earlier today!!!! He's a perfect 1-2 punch with stacy. He's a lot like Stacy in how he is shifty and physical at the same time. Not as physical, a little more shifty. PERFECT pick, I LOVE this draft!!!

Bye bye Pead

RamEERS

Pastor
great chemistry with our newly minted first rounder too.. he'll be a good pair

ever notice that Rams like to draft in pairs? Austin and Bailey last year, Robinson and Mason this year

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

ever notice that Rams like to draft in pairs? Austin and Bailey last year, Robinson and Mason this year
Well, they have in the last couple of years... I don't think it happened in 2013. :)

But I could see some advantage as Robinson would know what Mason tends to do while running and adjust downfield blocking accordingly.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I'm good with this pick. Stacey wouldn't be able to carry the bulk of the load, IMO, and this guy looks like he can get around the edges.

More importantly though, HE CAN run between the tackles too. Isn't afraid of contact at all either. Should be a great asset for this offense. Def needs to work on his pass blocking though for sure.

RamEERS

Pastor
More importantly though, HE CAN run between the tackles too. Isn't afraid of contact at all either. Should be a great asset for this offense. Def needs to work on his pass blocking though for sure.
you know who else can run between the tackles? Daryl Richardson.... so much so that he runs into the tackles :ROFLMAO:

Muleman

UDFA
I agree, I think Pead still has a spot. Richardson or Reynolds the odd man out depending on how many WR we keep on the roster.

V3

Hall of Fame

I noticed this and was thinking they'd take Brooks to pair with Joyner and Reid.

...Wrong college team.

V3

Hall of Fame

Yup. I'm wondering if Fisher's son is running this draft, though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like the player. It doesn't feel like a position of need, so I'm a little conflicted.

That said, if we lost Stacy I feel a hell of a lot better knowing we have Mason.

Rams keep drafting hungry football players. I love it!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This kid is just tough to tackle period and has more speed than Stacy. Concerns with ball security fumbled 8 times in 2 years and RFIP is going to ask if anyone that plays for Auburn can pass protect.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I like how he sees the field.

Hope the Rams can coach up ball security.

This kid can run. I'm excited about this year. You don't have to guess. They'll be running the ball a lot regardless of whether Bradford stays healthy.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Mizzou and Alabama couldn't get a grip on him. He's a greased pig out there. Plus we got his best blocker. ;)