Tre Mason on Competing to Be Starter: No One Starts a Race to Lose

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Tre Mason speaks to our Bradford Bruns and other assembled media about how he spent his summer time off, as well as the competition for starting running back and why he thinks he is capable of winning the job

Listen to Tre Mason Interview

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'm in the minority, but I'm still of the belief that Tre Mason may be our starting RB during the second half of this season.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Do you have no respect for Stacy?

I have a lot of respect for Stacy. He's going to be a great backup once Tre Mason gets his feet wet.

They'll both get their share. Mason will have to learn how to pass block though or else he'll never be the guy.

RamWoodie

Legend
Do you have no respect for Stacy?
This isn't about "respect"...it's about competing. I like the kid's attitude...he wants to be like Adrain Peterson, and that's means he's got to put in the work and he's focusing on that.

He didn't disrespect anyone! Stacy started last year...but if Mason shows what he can do...and he can earn the job...so be it!

Athos

Legend
I'm in the minority, but I'm still of the belief that Tre Mason may be our starting RB during the second half of this season.

Only if Stacy is injured will that be true. Mason is good. I imagine a full 50/50 split, if anything, is much more likely in the second half.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Only if Stacy is injured will that be true. Mason is good. I imagine a full 50/50 split, if anything, is much more likely in the second half.

I could definitely see an even split but I think Tre Mason has an opportunity to be a multi-year Pro Bowler in this offense. His vision is great and he'll be able to break off more long runs than Stacy.

Only question I have is pass blocking.

Athos

Legend
I could definitely see an even split but I think Tre Mason has an opportunity to be a multi-year Pro Bowler in this offense. His vision is great and he'll be able to break off more long runs than Stacy.

Only question I have is pass blocking.

The days of the feature back set are dwindling. I doubt we have a true "starting back" from here on.

Bring on some smash and dash running ala Fisher's White and CJ. Pound em with Stacy (who will break way more tackles than Mason) and run em ragged with Mason's cut and quicker speed.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The days of the feature back set are dwindling. I doubt we have a true "starting back" from here on.

Bring on some smash and dash running ala Fisher's White and CJ. Pound em with Stacy (who will break way more tackles than Mason) and run em ragged with Mason's cut and quicker speed.

There's plenty of teams that still use a feature back. If Mason can live up to his potential, he'll see the bulk of the action.

Don't underestimate Tre Mason's ability to break tackles. He's not just a slasher. He's got a low center of gravity just like Zack Stacy and breaks a ton of tackles.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Still a IPead guy here...until I see different.....Preseason game 1, anybody got a countdown til that?

Still a IPead guy here...until I see different.....Preseason game 1, anybody got a countdown til that?

15 Tim Tebow days.

timtebow7.jpg

jap

Legend
Tre is supposed to compete for a starter position---you don't compete for just a backup job. Stuff happens---injuries, demotions, suspensions. You never know when you're the next man up, and you need to be as ready as you can be.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Hers the thing.... they both (Mason and Stacy) are very good RB's.... but they are two different types of style. I think it is going to be more of an even spread of carries than most think. It will be a two-headed monster with Cunningham mixed in. Fresh legs pounding you and in different ways. I can see a 40/40/20 split between the 3 .. and if Pead ever gets it ..... it will be even better.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I really love having a nice stable of backs. We all know too well how rough it can be when your only real threat at RB gets injured. Having a stable full of NFL quality WEAPONS at RB ends that kind of suffering.

Plus,,, I'm a big believer in competition within the team leading to better production on the field on Sundays.

Me Like

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
No disrespect, but I sure like this situation better than when we had an ageing Jackson. Speed and elusiveness, along with a dose of power (look at our front line) when needed, seem to be the ticket to success in the game today. Looks like Fish is covering all the bases. I like it! (y)

RamsAndEwe

Rookie

Bring on some smash and dash running ala Fisher's White and CJ. Pound em with Stacy (who will break way more tackles than Mason) and run em ragged with Mason's cut and quicker speed.[/QUOT

I agree. I say can see us using our entire stable of running backs. I expect Stacy and Mason to carry most the load, but I look forward to contributions from Cunningham and Pead. Let's keep their legs fresh and injury free.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I say can see us using our entire stable of running backs. I expect Stacy and Mason to carry most the load, but I look forward to contributions from Cunningham and Pead. Let's keep their legs fresh and injury free."RamsAndEwe, post: 351702, member: 1234"][/QUOTE]

Agree - All 4 will contribute. And when/if Stacy gets dinged there will be no drop-off. I'm really liking the improvement in Pead's outlook and attitude.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams rookie running back Tre Mason is taking everything in with the rookies over the past two days. The 2014 Rams Training Camp begins for all players on Friday, July 25th. Mason ran for record yards at Auburn last season and hopes to push second year running back Zac Stacy for playing time in the Rams backfield in 2014. From Fox2 St.Louis and includes Mason comments and practice clips.

Watch Mason's Camp Preview.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It's great having Tre Mason as an option but let's be real here. Zac Stacy played with top 5 RB quality for the second half of the season just as a rookie and our scheme is built to utilize a power RB more than anything. Since the end of the season, he has packed muscles onto his muscles. Tre Mason will get his carries but make no mistake, Stacy is the dominant back IMO. I see a 70/20/10 split for the carries between Zac/Tre/Benny. :lifting:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I love Mason's outlook on this, but he has to beat out two very solid backs in Stacy and Cunningham to get the starting job. I get the feeling that all three will get a significant amount of carries during the course of this season.