Tre Mason looks to make most of time before Todd Gurley/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Tre Mason looks to make most of time before Todd Gurley
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...looks-to-make-most-of-time-before-todd-gurley

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- When it comes to running backs at the St. Louis Rams' 2015 training camp, all eyes are on the one who isn't yet healthy enough to play.

That would be rookie Todd Gurley, the No. 10 overall pick from April's NFL draft. For all of the attention being paid to Gurley's progress from a torn left anterior cruciate ligament, there's another young running back attempting to send a reminder that he shouldn't be forgotten.

That would be second-year back Tre Mason, the same player who led all Rams backs in rushing yards (765), yards per carry (4.27) and total touchdowns (five). And for those who expect Mason to fall by the wayside when Gurley returns, Mason has a different message.

"Tre Mason is still here," Mason said. "Give me the ball. I’m ready to rock. That’s how I feel about the situation."

One day after the Rams drafted Gurley, Mason sent out a tweet wondering why people were doubting him. He made it clear in no uncertain terms that he didn't intend to let Gurley's presence alter his approach to the game, even if his tweet didn't become quite the sensation as the one sent by now-former Rams running back Zac Stacy.

"It didn’t faze me much," Mason said of the pick. "I’m an individual myself and I have got goals of my own."

For Mason to reach those goals, he's not only going to have to try to find a way to fend off Gurley but make the most of the opportunities he gets in the meantime. Although he insists that he hasn't been bothered by the team's choice of Gurley, he doesn't seem to take too kindly to questions about a competition between the two or even questions that aren't about Gurley.

Asked after a recent practice if he has any added motivation for the carries he'll get in this preseason before Gurley is healthy, Mason offered something of an odd response.

"I feel like he’s my teammate now and if you guys need information on Todd Gurley you should ask Todd Gurley," Mason said. "That’s how I feel."

The good news for Mason is that he's now in his second season and doesn't have nearly as much to learn before he can make an impact. When Mason arrived in St. Louis, he was ready as a runner but not much else. He had little experience picking up the blitz and hadn't had many opportunities to run pass routes.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher consistently talks about the need for young running backs to handle those details before being tossed into the mix. That's why Mason didn't really become a factor until after the first quarter of the season.

"As we’ve talked about before, Tre was somewhat of a slow starter last year," Fisher said. "He got going. Playing without the ball is really important. Once we felt comfortable with where he was, we cut him loose and he was really productive for us."

In each of the past two seasons, the Rams have had a rookie lead the team in rushing in Stacy and Mason. Both players took about four weeks to get up to speed before entering the lineup. The same could be true of Gurley, who not only has to get caught up from the mental side but is still recovering from his knee injury.

That should give Mason a bit of an edge even though there's little doubt that the job eventually will belong to Gurley.

"Every day is a blessing you wake up," Mason said. "I feel like this opportunity that I get, I’ve got to make the most of it because Father Time is undefeated. Everybody has two dates and you can make your dash in between whatever you want it to be, and I just want to be great."

With Gurley in the fold, Mason's chances to be great may not be as bountiful as they once appeared. But what he does until Gurley gets back will go a long way in determining how many of those opportunities he gets.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Has an NFL team ever had TWO 1,000 yd RB's in the same season? If we can get Gurley up to speed, & if our offense is primarily run-first / play-action, it just might be possible. If the snaps are like 60% Tre / 40% Gurley, and Gurley hits a bunch of home runs, we could get close.