Tre Mason and His New Range Rover

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
he must've skipped Fisher's rookie seminar on financial management.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
he must've skipped Fisher's rookie seminar on financial management.

Hardly.

If that car cost say 60k (which it's probably cheaper, because it looks like an older model), that's like 2% of a 3mil deal.

That's like making 100k a year and spending 2k on a car. Not a bad deal, eh?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Meh. Good for Tre. He bought a new car and is proud of it. Sorry but even if he loses 30% of the value in the first year, he has blown about $40k of his rookie deal. Now if he goes and buys some huge house and has an entourage, I'll start to worry. Right now, he's a kid that was able to buy what was likely a dream car. That will put a smile on his face when he gets ready to go to work. Enjoy the new ride Tre.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Hardly.

If that car cost say 60k (which it's probably cheaper, because it looks like an older model), that's like 2% of a 3mil deal.

That's like making 100k a year and spending 2k on a car. Not a bad deal, eh?
that 3 mil gets divided up REAL quick tho between agents and taxes etc. as long as he's smart. dont end up like the Warren Sapp or TO type of player

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
that 3 mil gets divided up REAL quick tho between agents and taxes etc. as long as he's smart. dont end up like the Warren Sapp or TO type of player

That's true, but you don't look at the raw numbers. You divide your living expenses up in to percentages. Paying 2% of your income for a car isn't abusing what he has by any means.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
20 years old...meh......there's a song that goes, "don't buy a $100,000 car, before ya buy a HOUSE...."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, the Autobiography is brand new - I didn't realize it was even released yet. But from my experience NFLers love fancy SUVs. I have literally driven past the Cardinals' training facility multiple thousands of times (I have worked just down the street from it since 2001) and it is amazing the number of overblown SUVs I have seen.

Hopefully this is Mason's one big expenditure, and he has enough sense to keep it in shape for years, while investing his earnings towards his post-pro career.

The big guys love little cars and the little guys love big trucks/SUVs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not that worried about Mason because his father is a somewhat wealthy guy due to his hip hop career. I'm sure he has more perspective because of that than most of these young guys.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I wasn't a new car guy. But now, I am. Why?
Simple:

I know how it's going to be taken care of. I know the maintenance will be a priority. I know how rough it will be driven. Most of all, it's new and no one has handled it but me. Plus, it will more than likely last longer than a used vehicle because of the previous reasons.

I bought my current car brand new in 03, 162k miles later, I know exactly what work has been done and know it has been done right. Car still runs like a top,I know its been driven hard, but well maintained. The only question now is when will I decide I need a car payment and go get my next brand new car.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I hate other people's headaches and their funky odors a few months after buying a used car. I may lose money on the front end but I get that new car smell and I know that no one else has thrashed on it. Also, good luck getting a zero interest loan on a used car.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Yeah - I hate other people's headaches and their funky odors a few months after buying a used car. I may lose money on the front end but I get that new car smell and I know that no one else has thrashed on it. Also, good luck getting a zero interest loan on a used car.
Loan?! I had you pegged as a Straight Cash Homie @RamFan503 !

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Well, the Autobiography is brand new - I didn't realize it was even released yet. But from my experience NFLers love fancy SUVs. I have literally driven past the Cardinals' training facility multiple thousands of times (I have worked just down the street from it since 2001) and it is amazing the number of overblown SUVs I have seen.

Hopefully this is Mason's one big expenditure, and he has enough sense to keep it in shape for years, while investing his earnings towards his post-pro career.

NFL players buy SUVs because they can't fit in anything else lol. Imagine Greg Robinson squeezing into a tiny ass sports car.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I've completely lost interest in expensive material possessions. Is that what happens with age?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
His money. These guys ought to enjoy it a little. It's not buying the one " Ride" it's the guys that buy multiples that run into the cash flow issues later on. Some guys don't know when to quit. And it's all dependent on income. Bradford or JL could drop a half mil. on cars and it's chump change. His used Rover cost less than my new pickup. I haul fence posts and cow shit in back of my pickup. Go figure.
I'm a new car guy. Have been for awhile. I might buy a used beater for a couple grand but that's about my limit. I got unlucky with a like new used pickup 5 years ago. had it a few months and the transmission locked up. A Allison transmission. 9k to replace it. That and price of the truck equaled a new one. I know a couple other people that have same issues, buy a high end used and get stuck with huge repair bill a few months later. And those warranties you buy on used from the dealer...Bitch please. You gotta ask your self why The original owner took such a beating to get rid of it if it didn't have a problem.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
At least he's wearing a Rams hat in that photo!

In all seriousness; he deserves a little spoil. He's worked hard to get to this point. It doesn't mean he's being careless. (although I'd argue an expensive car seems a bit much for a 3rd round rookie)

New vs used; I've always bought new until recently I bought a nicer car and decided to go used to save a little. It's worked out just fine. I think you can win and lose both new and used.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
I've completely lost interest in expensive material possessions. Is that what happens with age?

Yes, that and wisdom. It's amazing how sharing instead of grandstanding with expensive toys becomes more satisfying with age. You end up with TRUE friends also, not an entourage.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
He could be doing worse things with his money. He's a young guy and didn't go too crazy on a car. Anybody on here remember 20? :LOL:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Loan?! I had you pegged as a Straight Cash Homie @RamFan503 !
0% interest is the only time financing a car can''t be a mistake ,well if it's a deflationary period ,but generally if you can get a return on the car co's money that's the thing to do