TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher (9-27-16)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Press Conference – September 27, 2016

(On if making big plays at the end of games recently is something that is random or if something is developed)
“There’s a lot of plays that are made during the course of the games, you end up focusing on the one at the end. Yeah, ‘Tree’s’ (LB Alec Ogletree) play was huge against Seattle, (DE) Rob’s (Quinn) effort was tremendous, we needed that. You take the wins however you can – in a perfect world, you’d like to think you don’t need to make that play at the end. But that’s something you can hang your hat on and you can always go back and say ‘Hey, you made plays at the end, so if it comes up again, just go do it. Do what you’ve done before.’”

(On what he has said to the team about the number of penalties they’ve gotten so far in the early part of the season)
“I’m not going to go into specifics, that’s my presentation. But we had a long discussion today about it. It’s nice to be able to discuss it after a win. You look at the penalties and they’re like anything else. The big thing, as I mentioned yesterday, is the ones that don’t have anything to do with the play – and that’s what kind of gets under the coach’s skin – the false starts, the defensive offsides and the things that happen after the play. You’re in control of that. The things that take place during the course of the down, you’re really not in control unless you’re grabbing as a defensive back. And then you look, if you really look at them, there’s five or six or seven that I disagree with. Penalties are penalties, but at this rate, it’s not good. We have to coach better and we have to talk about things and we have to be aware of a hard count on second-and-10 or third-and-one. Just bring it to their attention and we did that. Our focus is more on Arizona, however, than it is on our team penalties.”

(On if there’s anything that he can take away from the game plan that Buffalo had after they intercepted Arizona QB Carson Palmer four times)
“No, if we go and change our defense and do what they did, then we don’t have a chance of being successful. We have a system, they have a system, there’s familiarity with both of these two teams. Buffalo made some plays – a ball was overthrown, a snap was misdirected – they made plays and they capitalized on it, they were home and they got some momentum. (Cardinals Head Coach) Bruce (Arians) is a good coach and he’ll have them ready to play. We respect them, as I said. We have a long week ahead of us (and) we’ll put together the best plan we can and go out and execute.”

(On WR Brian Quick having problems catching the ball in training camp and having a big game last week against Tampa Bay)
“His problems weren’t holding onto the ball, they were catching the ball. He didn’t have a (WR) Kenny Britt fumble, they were drops. He’s worked on that, he’s not dropping them on purpose and he made a couple really good plays in the game. It’s just about him being consistent. You don’t want to see the drops, drops are hard to overcome, we had four this weekend at Tampa and they’re hard to overcome – we had one or two on defense. You have to catch the football when you’re given the opportunity.”

(On if it’s nice to see Quick make a play like his 44-yard reception because of everything that he’s been through, including coming back from his injury)
“From that standpoint, yes, but that’s expected. We expect him to make that play, that’s his job – run past the corner in that particular defense and go make that play and he made it. The alternative would not have been good, but he made the play and he’s got to do it again.”

(On if RB Todd Gurley not having a big run is more of a factor of opposing teams focusing in on him or Gurley getting rust off)
“It’s not necessarily Todd, it’s really a situation where we’re just really close. A double-team that comes off that’s efficient and he hits the crease, he’s on his way, a good block by the receiver. Todd feels great; if anybody has any question as to how Todd feels, look at his 16-yard run, that was impressive.”

(On what he would like to see improvement on the defensive line)
“Last year, we didn’t have a sack for four or five weeks to start the season or something like that. Not that we started slow, but people are aware of the talent level up front, so they’re protecting the quarterback, the ball is coming out quickly. From a defensive line standpoint, I couldn’t ask any more of them from what we got out of them in this game, considering the numbers went down and the weather conditions. We’ll rest them, we’ll get them recovered and we’ll go out. We’ve typically had success from a standpoint of pressuring Arizona’s quarterbacks, so we’ve got to do that this week. We have to get relentless pressure on him and make the ball come out quick.”

(On how important it would be for the defense if QB E.J. Gaines can play this week and if he expects him to play)
“Won’t know until later on the week, it’ll be a day-to-day thing. He’s feeling good, he had a really good pregame workout in Tampa and felt really good, had no setbacks. So we’ll see how he is and just kind of work him in.”

(On what Gaines would add to the defense)
“Just the experience. The experience and the knowledge of our system, the depth there and the flexibility because he can go inside or play outside.”

(On what he has thought of DT Aaron Donald’s performance in the first three games)
“He hasn’t had a sack, but he’s probably had 20 quarterback hits. Whether the quarterback has the ball in his hands or not, he’s making contact with the quarterback legally. And they know that, so he’s getting double teamed and he’s getting all those scheme things that you get offensively. It creates other opportunities for someone else. We have to keep moving him around a little bit and create the one-on-ones. He’s been very productive even though he numbers aren’t reflecting it, he’s very productive.”

(On if the success that other rookie quarterbacks are having influences QB Jared Goff’s development)
“No, I spoke on that. I’m happy for young quarterbacks when they have success, but we have our own sense of timing here with him. The quarterbacks are having success because of injuries. As I mentioned last week, had we not had the injuries that we did in the league, probably all four of those quarterbacks either would be inactive or backups.”

RamzFanz

Damnit
(On if it’s nice to see Quick make a play like his 44-yard reception because of everything that he’s been through, including coming back from his injury)
“From that standpoint, yes, but that’s expected. We expect him to make that play, that’s his job – run past the corner in that particular defense and go make that play and he made it. The alternative would not have been good, but he made the play and he’s got to do it again.”

That is not a typical Coach Fisher tone. Sounds like he's given Quick the ultimatum.

We’ve typically had success from a standpoint of pressuring Arizona’s quarterbacks, so we’ve got to do that this week.

5 sacks, one a strip sack, I said it first! This D is always slow starting and then they explode on someone. Arizona's line is weaksauce and Carson's playing scared. This is the week!

(On what he has thought of DT Aaron Donald’s performance in the first three games)
“He hasn’t had a sack, but he’s probably had 20 quarterback hits.

PFF's number one rated inside lineman. Sack for show, strip, hit, and pressure for dough.

(On if the success that other rookie quarterbacks are having influences QB Jared Goff’s development)
“No, I spoke on that. I’m happy for young quarterbacks when they have success, but we have our own sense of timing here with him. The quarterbacks are having success because of injuries. As I mentioned last week, had we not had the injuries that we did in the league, probably all four of those quarterbacks either would be inactive or backups.”

Well, no, not quite true. Wentz made Bradford disposable.

But, yes. I AM tired of the Goff speculation.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Was Fisher insulted by asking if he would emulate Buffalo's success on defense? Me thinks yes.

Or it could be just a charade. Please let it be a misdirection so we can repeat their success.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
That is not a typical Coach Fisher tone. Sounds like he's given Quick the ultimatum.

5 sacks, one a strip sack, I said it first! This D is always slow starting and then they explode on someone. Arizona's line is weaksauce and Carson's playing scared. This is the week!

PFF's number one rated inside lineman. Sack for show, strip, hit, and pressure for dough.

But, yes. I AM tired of the Goff speculation.

Well no, not quite true. Bridgewater made Bradford valuable AND made Wentz a starter, so yeah, injury caused the rookie starters.

Bruce2980

Starter
Was Fisher insulted by asking if he would emulate Buffalo's success on defense? Me thinks yes.

Or it could be just a charade. Please let it be a misdirection so we can repeat their success.
Not sure, I think that he had several lines of thought as he was answering the question. He may have been there at the end, possibly thinking we have had great success too. But Palmer needs to be knocked on his ass early and often, that's what the Rams do and I think they will get it done. No more drives using prevent without pressure/blitzes.

Ramification

Happy at the Coliseum again
Seems like Quick is one drop away from "sayonara." You don't see that kind of coach talk very often.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I'm noticing a slightly different tone with Fisher. Especially with the comments about Quick. Like the guy is actually (gasp) expecting to win and for players to perform at a higher (than 7-9) level. I like it.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Close, but also not QUITE true. The PROMISE of a future Wentz, plus a seasoned backup in Daniels PLUS a brooding Bradford situation, (with all the locker room awkwardness) with the offer of a first round pick recouped from Minny
Made it worthwhile for Philly to take a chance.

Plus Philly had the benefit of a couple high school teams to begin the schedule for Wentz to start the year.

Perfect storm. And Wentz has done well to start. Let's check back in a month.

…..

Legend
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Press Conference – September 27, 2016

“ The quarterbacks are having success because of injuries. ”

Actually, they're having success because they're playing well and scheming well. They're playing because of injuries, but the success is because they're playing well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty sad that after 4+ seasons, a "big" game for Quick is 2 catches for 53 yards and a TD

And I'm tired of the "these rookies are only playing because of injury" nonsense. That's a cop out. The fact is that with proper preparation, these kids are ready to play. Goff would have been too under the right circumstances IMO. If Cody Kessler can play, so can Goff....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
together the best plan we can and go out and execute.”
This is what the Ariz. game Boils down to!!
“He hasn’t had a sack, but he’s probably had 20 quarterback hits. Whether the quarterback has the ball in his hands or not, he’s making contact with the quarterback legally. And they know that, so he’s getting double teamed and he’s getting all those scheme things that you get offensively. It creates other opportunities for someone else. We have to keep moving him around a little bit and create the one-on-ones. He’s been very productive even though he numbers aren’t reflecting it, he’s very productive.”
" Um!! Sounds like we may see Donald playing a little 'DE' Maybe!?!
We’ve typically had success from a standpoint of pressuring Arizona’s quarterbacks,
Or like I said in another Thread " We have a History of Kicking the Crap out of Arizona QB's!!"

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty sad that after 4+ seasons, a "big" game for Quick is 2 catches for 53 yards and a TD

And I'm tired of the "these rookies are only playing because of injury" nonsense. That's a cop out. The fact is that with proper preparation, these kids are ready to play. Goff would have been too under the right circumstances IMO. If Cody Kessler can play, so can Goff....
Well said . They need to do whatever it takes to get the kid ready . Imagine this team going forward with even an average QB . I think this team could be special with a bright future but not with Keenum at the helm .