TRANSCRIPTS: Green Bay Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy, LB Clay Matthews

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Green Bay Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy – Conference Call – 10/7/15

(On why it’s so difficult for teams to come into Lambeau Field and win)

“Well, I think it’s always a couple things that go into a good home field advantage. I mean, you start with the fans. I have to give our game day operations a lot of credit. The environment’s…the creativity in the environment’s definitely changed over the years. It’s clearly different than it was five years ago, pretty much a lot different than it was 10 years ago. So, the crowd it’s significantly louder, I think with the expansion of this stadium, the south end zone, the north end zone, things like that have definitely contributed to that. So, that’s one component. The other part of it too is we’ve been a good football team, and we’ve been playing good football at home.”

(On what QB Aaron Rodgers is bringing to the table this year that may be different from his other years)
“Well, I just think you’re seeing a great player just stay very disciplined through all the changes around him. So, I mean definitely had some changes throughout our perimeter group and he really has stayed steadfast to playing top-notch, quality football.”

(On Rodgers’ lack of interceptions and how much that’s on him how much is on the wide receivers)
“I think it’s the combination of it. He’s very decisive with the football, smart with the football and tries to stay on time. Then his ability to go into the second part of a play, as far as an extended play, is something that he does extremely well. With that being said, the perimeter group, particularly receivers, they’re on the same page as far as playing to the initial time clock and the extended time clock. So, I think it’s just a group that’s on the same page, but it really starts with Aaron’s decision making.”

(On the addition of WR James Jones and what he brings to their offense after losing WR Jordy Nelson)
“Oh James, he really just… go back to the way he always was. He’s just very consistent, very consistent player each and every day throughout the week of preparation and it’s definitely the same on Sundays. So, it’s great to have James back. Frankly, it looks like he just kind of picked up where he left off.”

(On what challenges the Rams defense presents)
“Huge challenge. A big challenge. It’s a very talented football team. You’re definitely seeing the maturation of an excellent process that (Rams Head Coach) Jeff (Fisher) and (Rams General Manager) Les (Snead) have gone through with the draft picks. It’s a team that’s going to be a very tough challenge for us Sunday. Their defensive line is as good as we’ve seen, clearly based on who we’ve played so far. Definitely on defense, it starts up front. Excellent scheme, it’s a scheme that will definitely challenge you. It’s an aggressive scheme with a bunch of aggressive defensive players.”

(On how RB Todd Gurley’s performance last week impacts his game plan for this weekend)
“I mean, you just watch all the tape like you always do and just set your plan to it. Obviously, Gurley’s production is something that we’ve definitely taken notice of.”

(On LB Julius Peppers)
“Looks great. Yeah, he’s a great, really conditioned athlete and takes great care of himself. Julius is a unique…he’s just a unique guy I will say that. Very gifted.”

(On if this is one of his more balanced teams)
“Well the goal is to be balanced and so far we’re off to the kind of start we envisioned back in the spring. Really just the focus on running the football and stopping the run and really the coverage units in our special teams. Just the extra emphasis and extra time and commitment that we put there and that reflects the type of team we want to be.”

(On what he remembers from his Pittsburgh days with Rams Offensive Coordinator Frank Cignetti)
“Excellent coach, good friend. Frank and I started together there in 1989 under (University of Pittsburgh Head) Coach (Mike) Gottfried and then with (University of Pittsburgh Head) Coach Paul Hackett. I think he’s got his offense playing very well, particularly with the addition of (RB Todd) Gurley. Very, very impressed with (WR) Tavon Austin and the things he’s done with him and the impact that he’s made. The utilization of the tight ends and all of the different personnel groups and formations, so it’s a big challenge for a defense.”

(On if the two coaches talked offensive philosophy back in the day and how much his has changed since)
“I think you change with every experience. Frank (Cignetti) and I were fortunate to have experiences together through our time of coaching, both at Pitt and down in New Orleans. You can see the impact that his other opportunities have had on him and how he’s applied it to his offense.”

(On LB Clay Matthews and what he means to the defense)
“Clay’s pretty much our feature player. It’s important for us to continue to move him around, create targeting issues for the offense. He’s off to a great start. Really when we made the move at the midpoint of the season last year, I think you’re just really seeing a continuation of that. He’s really an impact player.”

(On how QB Nick Foles is different than when he faced him two years ago)
“Different offense number one. That’s the first thing that jumps out at you. I think his discipline with the football and his ability to manage the huddle, line of scrimmage and all of those things are still very high. He knows where he wants to go with the football, so he does a really good job playing to his feet and that’s something I always pay attention to when you evaluate the quarterback.”

Green Bay Packers Linebacker Clay Matthews – Conference Call – 10/7/15

(On how he likes playing inside linebacker)

“It’s obviously been a change, as I’ve stated in the past, especially making that switch halfway through the year last year. But, I feel as if we’ve got a good design of how I’m incorporated into the game plan each and every week. Some game plans require me to be in a little more coverage against stud tight ends and running backs who are good out the backfield. Others present some opportunities where I can rush and not just on the outside, but against guards and centers. I feel we do a good job of kind of moving me around and allowing me to be close to the ball. I like to think when I’m around the ball that good things are going to happen.”

(On if he likes the variety)
“Yes. Obviously, there’s a learning curve coming from outside linebacker and playing inside. Just because they’re both listed as a linebacker, it doesn’t mean it’s the same thing. You very well could say the same thing about corner and safety. There definitely was a learning curve. I’m still learning little things here and there, as I continue to progress. For the most part, I enjoy the responsibilities that are asked of me. Not just rushing the passer, but trying to stop the run, playing man-to-man coverage or falling into zone coverage. I enjoy it. As our defense has continued to progress this year and last year as well, it seems as if we’re doing a real good job, as I alluded to earlier, of just kind of mixing things up.”

(On if it takes quarterbacks longer to find him and point him out)
“Yes, I mean you’d like to think if you’re a pass rusher, although you can go from left to right, it’s pretty simple. Or at least an offensive coordinator would tell you it’s simple to find that one person as far as sliding the line your way or giving back protection or chipping on his way out. So, there’s little things you can do. When you play inside, you don’t really know what you’re going to get. We like to think it presents problems in that regard, just because you have a greater menu of plays in which you can run. And it seems to be working out, obviously, we’re 4-0. Our defense has been getting better each and every week, so hopefully we can keep that going and make a run at this thing.”

(On how much pride he takes in the defense being able to rise to the level of play that their offense has been playing at)
“Absolutely. Our offense has been outstanding for the past several years. Defensively, it’s been hard to keep up with them. I think this is the first time in a long time where our defense is rated higher than our offense, at this point of the season. We take a lot of pride in that because for so long we’ve been known as an offensive team and rightfully so. We’d like to carry our fair share of the load and help in games in which we get into a crunch where maybe the opposing defense is having a great game that we can hold up and do it through four quarters. So I feel as if we’ve shown flashes throughout the season thus far and it seems as if last week, aside from a few big plays, I thought we finished the game out right and were able to keep them out of the end zone.”

(On having a balanced pass rush and a lot of players contributing on getting to the QB)
“Yes, absolutely. I think the last two weeks we might have had six or seven guys who have had sacks each week. We’d like to think, very similar to the Rams in the case with your defensive line and pass rushers, that we’ve got a very balanced attack with not only myself, but (DT) Mike Daniels, (LB) Julius Peppers, (LB) Mike Neal, (LB) Nick Perry, (LB) Jayrone Elliot has really come on. We think it’s obviously advantageous. I know it’s cliché to say, but if we’re capable of stopping the run, we think we can give give an offensive line fits with our pass rush. Fortunately, we’ve been able to do that. We’ve been able to get into some positions where we’ve had more points than the opponent which we’re playing and that forced them into passing situations and have had done a good job of disrupting that.”

(On Rams LB James Laurinaitis setting the franchise career tackles record and what he thinks of him as a linebacker)
“James and I came out the same year in 2009, so we got to know each other a little bit through the combine and the draft process and all of that. He was arguably one of the best inside linebackers. I think he might have been the first one taken off the board in the second round. He’s done everything he could to kind of merit that pick in him. I think that’s exactly what the Rams knew they were going to get from him or whichever team was going to pick him, was going to be a stud inside linebacker who’s smart, instinctive and can make plays. In fact, he’s done a great job playing against us and knowing tendencies and being a smart, savvy veteran. I’m a fan of him, a fan of his and how he’s able to play the game. Hopefully, he has many more years of success and maybe he can just take a game off this week.”

(On if he could take a weekend off this week)
“No, I’ve got to keep this thing going. We’ve got two weeks to the bye week, so we’re focused on one game at a time. This is a very good team that we’re playing with big playmaking ability. You saw the Seahawks game to start the year off with a big win. I’m sure they would admit a letdown against the Redskins. But, to follow that up a few weeks later with a big win against an undefeated Cardinals team at Arizona, it really speaks volumes to the type of team they have, that you guys have down there. We’re expecting to get their max effort and everything that they’re able to possess with a great running game. You saw (RB Todd) Gurley really turn it on last week as well as (WR Tavon) Austin come on and make a number of big plays. So, we’re going to have our hands full, but hopefully we’re up for the challenge.”

(On QB Aaron Rodgers’ ability to draw defenses off sides)
“It is something that he works on, especially early in training camp when we become a little more savvy to his ways of him trying to draw us off sides. But that’s part of his game too. I think that’s not only can you call him elusive and can make any throw, but also he’s very good with drawing the defense offsides. He does that a number of ways, and obviously creates those big plays that I’m sure a number of teams would like to have, where you almost have a free play. So, it’s one of those things, especially the pass rusher generally and D-line, generally, you like to have a good get off and really try and focus on getting after the quarterback, but you have play smart. You have to watch the ball and that kind of slows you down a little bit, so, there’s a very fine line in doing that. Fortunately, we’ve been on the right side of those balls in which Aaron’s been incredible at getting people to jump and take advantage of those big plays.”

(On the three craziest things that he’s heard Rodgers say in his cadence)
“I don’t think he says anything crazy during his cadence. There’s no ‘Omaha’. He just does a great job of mixing it up, and I know they do a great job of self-scouting themselves and understanding what the opposition is looking at. So, I mean, that’s why he’s been able to do it for so many years, not only his play but in this case in which we’re talking to, drawing defenders off sides.”

(On his journey as a football player)
“I came out of high school and I didn’t have any scholarship opportunities, so I decided to walk on at SC. It wasn’t until my senior year in which I got the opportunity to start a few games under Pete Carroll. Once I was given that opportunity, I was a walk-on for two years before I was awarded a scholarship and I had kind of been at the proverbial bottom. Once I was given that opportunity to succeed and be a part of a starting defense and the No. 1, first team, I guess you can call it, at that position, I decided that I didn’t want to go back to the scout team. So, fortunately, Ted Thompson and the Packers believed in me enough to give up a few draft picks and reach back into the first round and pick me up. I’d like to think that I’ve given them everything that I’ve had and have, and will continue to for the duration of my career here. So, I’m very fortunate to have ended up here. I think my high school and college story maybe isn’t one of most blue-chip athletes or five-start recruits, but I believe it’s kind of given me that edge and that mentality that’s allowed me to become the player I am today.”

(On if anyone has ever pulled his hair in a game)
“This is serious reporting we have going on here. (laughs) It happens, but no one’s ever done it on purpose. It’s part of the deal. If you’re going to have long hair, just expect tackles, tight ends, to grab it. For the most part, I think there’s kind of unwritten rules within the league. Usually, I get apologies if that happens. I don’t think anybody’s maliciously trying to go after your hair. I think that’s…well without getting myself in trouble, generally are…men don’t really do that a lot.”

(On what he sees in QB Nick Foles as a quarterback)
“He’s very smart. I think he’s got around a 100(percent) passer rating. The thing I think he does really well is he can place the ball exactly where it needs to be. He’s obviously done a great job of that with some of the play action passes that St. Louis possesses. He can make every throw. So, he’s done a great job in that regard. I think that’s what St. Louis has been yearning for, for a while is a guy that can sit back there and consistently lead drives down the field and make the passes he’s required too. It’s no secret as to why they’ve had success this year, and I’m sure some more moving forward. A large part of that is because of what he’s been able to do.”

(On what it likes playing for Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers)
“I enjoy it. I think Dom does a great job of putting his playmakers into positions to succeed. I feel like he does that with me. Obviously, we talked about earlier, a big part of that change to middle linebacker was because we need to put our best 11 players on the field. It’s kind of continued into this year. Run opportunities from the offense, you’ll see me playing inside more as well as playing on the edge in pass situations. So, I feel as if this defense plays to the strength of the players in which we have. It looks as if we’re playing fast this year. We’re making plays. We’re smart and disciplined. That’s large in part to kind of what he’s all about and what he preaches day-in and day-out.”

(On what he saw from RB Todd Gurley in the second half of the Cardinals game)
“Well, it just looks like he’s really coming into his own. I know he had that knee injury, I believe back in college. But now he’s getting a chance to kind of go out there and get comfortable. I think everybody knew what he was capable of in college and potentially in the pros. But he kind of had to sit there for a while and rehab and recover. It looks as if now, unfortunately, he’s starting to become more comfortable and realizes what he can do and what he’s capable of even at the professional level. So, we’ll expect a large dose of him running the ball and putting the ball in his hands just because of obviously what he’s been able to do these past couple weeks and really coming into his own and being the star player that I think St. Louis envisioned him to be.”

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I'm sure Clay will give G. Rob. as hard a time as he can. Maybe Havenstein also. I hope we saw last week more of who we NEED to be to be successfull . Hope Coaches let Gurley take his brace off and run free this week. We need a few extra wrinkles this week and we will have to catch some breaks like we did last week . I want us to stay Healthy as a team and to stay close as we can with this Top team with an Elite QB as this is the team we will have to beat if we want to be in a Super Bowl in my lifetime. Hate the AO injury and its timing so dang much. I really believe we will see some good things from Ayers but this week I hope he can surprise as I know we don't always play who I would like to be on the field. The skins game assures me we won't see an egg laid. I hope we get some BIG hits on AR. To me that is where this game might shift . Come on JL lead BIG MAN LEAD!!! NO INJURIES!!!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's really good to hear another star lb talk up JL 55 he has a lot of respect from his peers because they know how hard it is to be on the field every year every snap every down. That's very rare and I think we all need to appreciate that fact he might not be a superstar but he is very good and when it comes to smarts he might just be the best in the buisness

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure Clay will give G. Rob. as hard a time as he can. Maybe Havenstein also. I hope we saw last week more of who we NEED to be to be successfull . Hope Coaches let Gurley take his brace off and run free this week. We need a few extra wrinkles this week and we will have to catch some breaks like we did last week . I want us to stay Healthy as a team and to stay close as we can with this Top team with an Elite QB as this is the team we will have to beat if we want to be in a Super Bowl in my lifetime. Hate the AO injury and its timing so dang much. I really believe we will see some good things from Ayers but this week I hope he can surprise as I know we don't always play who I would like to be on the field. The skins game assures me we won't see an egg laid. I hope we get some BIG hits on AR. To me that is where this game might shift . Come on JL lead BIG MAN LEAD!!! NO INJURIES!!!

Is their MLB rushing from a position that he'll challenge our tackles? At least I thought I read he has been moved inside.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Nice post... I'm guardedly optimistic about the game in Green Bay. If the Rams can match last weeks performance they may pull out another victory of a top seeded team. (y)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Is their MLB rushing from a position that he'll challenge our tackles? At least I thought I read he has been moved inside.
He moves all over, from the MLB position, when he rushes the passer.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH

Old School they have him lining up everywhere. Yes he is back to the ILB position . As you saw last season he lined up at both ends as a pass rusher and after watching tape on our G. Rob. would you NOT take a few shots at using his rare speed and leverage against him or even Havenstein for that matter? I'm sure he will play the middle 75-80% of the time. This is just MY Call as I know Capers will feel tempted to slip him outside. Kevin Greene is not his position coach anymore but he showed him everything he knew for an under weight guy getting leverage on the big men. Please call me out if it does not happen.