TRANSCRIPT: St. Louis Rams First Round Draft Pick RB Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
St. Louis Rams First Round Draft Pick RB Todd Gurley Conference Call - April 30, 2015

(On if being picked by the Rams came as a surprise and did the Rams show interest before the draft)
“A little bit. A little surprised, but like I said I’m just happy. I’m happy, real happy to just be a part of the Rams.”

(On if the Rams were one of the 20 teams he visited and was told to keep quiet about)
“No, they weren’t. They weren’t.”

(On what is the earliest date that he can play football)
“Right now there’s no time table. Not putting a timetable on anything. Everything’s been on schedule and just looking forward to coming back.”

(On what percent he is injury-wise)
“Like I said, I really wouldn’t say a percent. At the end of the day, I’ve never been through one of these injuries. But, like I said, I’m not a doctor or therapist. Everything is going on schedule. Still have a lot of work to do though.”

(On if he feels it’s realistic to play on opening day)
“Yes, I think that’s a realistic goal. But, like I said, I’m not putting any time table.”

(On his current rehab process)
“My rehab’s been going good. Haven’t been limited to anything far as the weight room, blocks, been running, doing some control cutting - just getting after it.”

(On if he’s been able to run at full speed)
“Yes, I have a couple times. But most of it is…a lot of my workouts are modified.”

(On if he expected to go in the top 10)
“I mean, yes.” (Laughs)

(On why he expected to go in the top 10)
“Because I know what I worked hard for and I had confidence in myself, just because of my injury. Because at the same time, I didn’t want to have my head down to be expecting to go low. I’m not that type of person.”

(On what running back he plays the most like and who did he grow up admiring)
“I don’t try to be like anybody else. I definitely look at a lot of the great running backs especially in the NFL. I grew up a (New Orleans Saints RB) C.J. Spiller fan.”

(On how difficult his suspension was last year)
“It was very difficult, just not being able to play. Having a good season and them telling me I had to sit down.”

(On what he knows about the Rams’ offense)
“I know they like to run the ball, so it’s a special, special place. I’m looking forward to going out there and working for them.”

(On if he had a combine visit with the Rams)
“Yes, I did.”

(On if the Rams talked to him at his pro day)
“I’m not sure. I don’t think I talked to anybody at my pro day.”

(On when he thought the Rams would be a possible landing spot for him)
“I didn’t to be honest, but I’m happy.”

(On what it felt like to get the phone call letting him know he was going to be a Ram)
“It was crazy. It was awesome for sure to get that phone call and be a part of the team.”

(On how he would describe himself as a back)
“I feel like it’s kind of a one-cut, down hill runner. I don’t try to do too much. I’ve still got a lot to learn and improve on my game.”

(On if he watched football growing up)
“I always watched football because that’s what I played, but being in North Carolina you don’t have a choice, but to watch basketball all the time.”

(On if he was a good basketball player)
“I thought I was (Chicago Bulls’ PG) Derrick Rose for a little bit, but that didn’t work out too well.”

(On his relationship with LB Alec Ogletree)
“I’ve got a good relationship with him. I remember my first time in camp during goal line he hit me, ‘Man, I felt that.’ I was like from that day forward I’m running low. It will be good to get back there with him and team up. That’s one of the best players I’ve ever played with.”

(On if Ogletree has reached out to him since being drafted)
“I’m not sure I haven’t checked my phone. I’m pretty sure he did.”

(On if he knows any other Rams)
“No, I don’t.”

(On the most important thing he’s learned from himself during his rehab process)
“Just be patient. Just because you can’t do something one day doesn’t mean it’s not going to come the next day. You’ve just got to keep working at it and try not to be frustrated.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
St. Louis Rams First Round Draft Pick RB Todd Gurley Press Conference – May 1, 2015

(Opening Statement)
Snead:
“I’ll open this by saying, I think it’s been well said, we thought the guy in the middle here had some kind of once in every now and then talent we couldn’t pass on. I’ll say this, he’s joining a heck of a group of running backs. Starting with (RB) Chase (Reynolds), (RB) Isaiah (Pead) the roles they play, (RB) Benny (Cunningham), (RB) Zac (Stacy). (RB) Tre Mason was an explosive player as a rookie and is still one of our explosive players. So he’s going to join a backfield - that I got to give those guys credit because they’re a good crew. He’s only going to add to us. Cool being a lifetime (former Rams’ RB) Eric Dickerson fan - he was my favorite pro football player and to have Eric call and want to chat with Todd Gurley that kind of connects us all. Growing up in Alabama Eric Dickerson was my favorite player. Lastly before I transition to coach, I think it’s fitting that as another successful head coach said last night, Jon Gruden said that Jeff Fisher’s at his best when he’s got a team that’s going to run the football. So it’s fitting that coach ‘Fish’ is the guy who kind of, he saved the running back, brought him back to the first round. With that I’ll pass to Coach Fisher.”

Fisher: “We’re currently trying to get in touch with Eric because we want to see if his jersey number is available because we don’t have that. Do you like No.35? How’s that? No. 41? If we put a 40 on you, you’re going to get slow. (Laughs) So we’re trying to find a jersey number for him.”

We had a really good visit. I got to meet his folks this morning and our purpose obviously is to create an opportunity for you guys to ask him questions. He got to meet with (Director of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) our head trainer. Will be able to visit with our ‘doc.’ when we’re done here. So we’re in good shape, ready to go, have a plan. So happy to introduce Todd Gurley to you all.”

(On how the conversation went with Eric Dickerson and what did he have to say)
Gurley:
“First off, I just want to thank Coach Fisher, Les and (Rams’ Owner/Chairman) Mr. Kroenke for drafting me. But, I got a chance to talk to Eric earlier today. He just congratulated me and told me if I ever needed anything feel free to contact him.”

(On how does it feel to be a part of a team with a rich history of running backs and to be potentially the next in line)
Gurley:
“It feels great. It motivates you to aim high, reach your goals and pick their brain and just motivation. Just try to come in and fit in somewhere and do the best you can.”

(On what has his schedule been since being drafted)
Gurley:
“Get picked and then after that you do a lot of media after the draft. So I was up there in Chicago, so you do about an hour and a half worth of media, just going around. Get ready at night and pack your stuff and head here. So I’ve been here since about 10 (am) this morning and visiting with everyone.”

(On if he got much sleep last night)
Gurley:
“No, probably a couple hours.”

(On what was his mindset was when he was waiting for his name to be called)
Gurley:
“You’re just waiting and trying to stay relaxed. I’m a funny guy so I just like to tell a couple jokes, just make sure everybody keeps their spirits high and just waiting on that phone call for sure.”

(On if he has a joke)
Gurley:
“Well, when I was in the green room I had my phone on me and I was like, ‘Dang man maybe I have bad service in here because there aren’t any teams calling me right now.’’ (Laughs)

(On if he asked somebody to call him to check his service)
Gurley:
“No I didn’t. Actually, somebody did call me from back home and I was like, ‘Don’t ever call my phone again.’ (Laughs) Yeah, not on this night.”

(On what have the past five months of rehab been like)
Gurley:
“It’s been fun. A little slow. It’s been a fun process just visiting teams and combine and just working out, rehabbing. It’s finally here, I’m a Ram and I’m just happy to be where I’m at today.”

Snead: “I had one problem with the rehab process when he sent that Instagram picture out with him on the treadmill. That was the only thing I didn’t like about the process. It was for selfish reasons.”

Gurley: “Just wanted to show my speed off.”

(On how he thinks the process of meeting the team trainer and doctors will go)
“It’ll go fine. I got a chance to talk to the trainer earlier today and we’ll create a plan and going on from that. Hopefully, everything will start going good.”

(On who has been the most influential person during his football career)
Gurley
: “My family just motivating me to do better and be active in sports. Just getting better everyday. Especially, NFL players that I watched growing up and I wanted to be like them. It finally feels good to reach your dream.”

(On when he knew he wanted to play football)
Gurley:
“I knew this since I was young, about five years old. I would always watch the NFL. Grew up a big football fan, played football every year. I knew I wanted to do this since day one and this dream has finally been accomplished.”

(On if he made this decision when he was in kindergarten)
Gurley:
“I started playing football when I was five years old. So I was like, ‘I want to be in the NFL.’”