TRANSCRIPT: Lions Head Coach Jim Caldwell, QB Matthew Stafford, 10-12-16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lions Head Coach Jim Caldwell – Conference Call – October 12, 2016

(On the progress QB Matthew Stafford has made since Caldwell has been with the Lions)
“Matthew has improved steadily I think, the entire time since we’ve arrived. And that’s because of the fact that he has great work habits, he’s a smart guy, he loves the game and gives it everything he’s got, now, I don’t want you take that as a fact that he’s only improved since we’ve gotten here, he was playing really good football before we got here. He, certainly, had some great outings, did a tremendous job, had some outstanding years and things of that nature during that time, so he’s been steadily improving since our tenure here.”

(On if he has seen improvement in the mental aspect of the game from Stafford)
“Certainly, it’s kind of a natural progression for guys. I’ve been fortunate enough to have been around a few quarterbacks during my coaching days. And oftentimes, in their fifth, sixth, seventh year, eighth year, around that time, you really begin seeing a bit of an evolution as they’ve gone through, because of the fact that they’ve seen everything. Not many things will surprise them. They have a really good feel for concepts. They’ve probably seen a little bit of almost every coordinator in the league – or at least different styles of defenses and things of that nature. They’re able to do a few more of the nuances now because those things they recognize rather quickly. He’s making that kind of progress.”

(On how Lions WR Marvin Jones has fit into things in the offense right away and how he’s done this season)
“They’ve put in a lot of work during the offseason since he signed with us and we’ve acquired his services. He’s one of those guys that has a natural knack for the position. I think he’s a very fine route-runner, but he’s also a guy that’s really a stickler for details. He and Matt worked intensely for quite a while during the spring and that is still carrying over even today. I don’t think you ever really get a real good feel for one another until you’ve kind of been through it all together. But I think they’re working in that direction.”

(On if there is anything that Jones has done that’s surprised him)
“Not surprised, no. We certainly had an opportunity to do our due diligence prior to the free agency and all those kinds of things. He’s been exactly what we thought he’d be.”

(On the Rams defense)
“Obviously it’s a very good football team in every single phase. The defensive front is very, very talented, very disruptive, they do a good job of mixing things up with them. Their core group, in terms of linebackers, et cetera; (LB Alec) Ogletree in the middle there is doing a tremendous job. And they have a secondary that can run with you and also give you some problems in terms of changing up coverages and stunts as well. It’s a very good group, but you could say the same thing about the offense – that, I think is a quick-strike offense that has a quarterback that certainly is very well-schooled at that position and can move the ball. Along with, perhaps maybe the best young running back in the league in Todd Gurley, who is really a dangerous guy. But I also noticed they’ve moved him outside some. He’s caught a few passes on the flanks. Then (WR) Kenny Britt is having an outstanding year. I had a chance to see him a few times when they were down at Tennessee, he’s playing well. They have a lot of guys on the outside playing well. And then, obviously, (WR) Tavon Austin, who is a guy that just gives you all kinds of problems because he gets the ball so many different ways – (WR) Brian Quick as well. It’s a heck of a group, a good line, a very, very good football team. And then the special teams is challenging for anybody that ever plays them. They do a lot of different things, they give you a lot of different problems.”

(On what he took away from the last matchup he had with the Rams late in 2015)
“The teams are different. The team changes probably about 30 percent or so each and every year, and you add a few injuries to that and it’s almost a completely different group that you’re working with. Other than the familiarity with scheme and things of that nature, maybe there’s some crossover there, but it’s a different year. We know it’s going to be tough, they play well, they play smart football. They’re going to be hard to handle.”

Lions QB Matthew Stafford – Conference Call – October 12, 2016

(On if he has stayed in contact with Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw, and if he got the chance to see him pitch last night)
“Yeah, I try to stay in contact with him. He and I both have busy schedules, but we try to shoot each other a text every once in a while. And yeah, I did watch last night. I try to catch most of the games that I can when he’s throwing.”

(On his thoughts regarding Clayton Kershaw’s performance last night)
“I thought he pitched really well, gutted it out. Obviously, unfortunate what happened in the seventh there. Glad they got a win. I know he’s happy they got the win. I thought he pitched a great game; really tough and gritty like he always is.”

(On what has been the key to a good start of the season)
“Just trying to take what is there. Our offense is based on just trying to throw it to the open guy. There’s been a couple times where I’ve been able to recognize coverage, and get out there and run a little bit. Not something I’m trying to make a living doing, but it’s helping our team. Get a first down here or there in a game, I’m more than happy to do it.”

(On his thoughts about his second season working with Offensive Coordinator Jim Bob Cooter)
“They’ve been going well. We haven’t played perfect by any means. There’s always room for improvement. We’ve had challenges along the way, but we’re just trying to continue to get better week after week, and hone in on the details.”

(On how long it took him to get used to not having WR Calvin Johnson, and his impressions of WR Marvin Jones, Jr. this season)
“It didn’t take me too long. You get out there on the field, and you throw to the guys you have, and whoever is open gets the ball. That’s kind of how I’ve always been. Obviously, losing a Hall of Fame talent affects some things, but our guys have stepped up and have done a really nice job of getting open and making plays. (WR) Marvin (Jones, Jr.) has been no different than any of the other guys. He’s done a great job. When he’s been given opportunities to make plays, he’s made them.”

(On his experience becoming a starting quarterback, after being the number one overall pick in the draft)
“As a competitive person, I always wanted to play. I wanted to come in and try to win the job as soon as I could, and was able to early on. We were battling that year. The Lions were coming off a year that wasn’t one to remember, the year before that. We were just trying to find who was going to be a part of our team, and make us try to win games any way we could. It was a tough situation. Being a rookie in this league playing quarterback is not an easy thing, and I was just happy to get some experience early under my belt.”

(On if it’s better to play right away, rather than sitting out and learning for a year)
“I think every situation is different. Every team is different that the player comes to, what those expectations of that team are, all that kind of stuff. It’s all different. What the player is showing in practice, all that. That all goes into it. In the end, it’s coach’s decision. I think it’s worked well both ways for certain types of guys.”

(On how his physical and mental skills have developed throughout his NFL career)
“Every time you go out there and play, you learn something new. This game is humbling in that way. The second you think you know everything, something else comes along and makes you realize you don’t. I’m just trying to learn as much as I possibly can, talk to as many people as I can, and continue to get better in the mental aspect.”

(On what has helped him the most in the mental aspect of the game)
“I don’t know. I think with experience comes knowledge of certain coordinators and players in the league. When you’re young in this league, you’re playing coordinators for the first time; you’re playing against players for the first time. Just like anything else, the more repetitions you get at playing certain coordinators and playing against certain players, the better you understand them.”