TRANSCRIPT: Jeff Fisher, Brian Schottenheimer, & Tim Walton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – July 29, 2013

(On unseasonably cool weather)
“No, it’s going to change. It’s supposed to rain tomorrow, and tomorrow is their day off, so it’s good timing I guess.”

(On the first day in pads as a team)
“We actually introduced them yesterday with the special teams session and it was good, but first for most of the team – most of the veterans. As it always is the case in the first day of pads, you look and your team just slows down. You’re running routes fast with great team speed without pads, they put the plastic on, so it’s a process and tomorrow’s off and we’ll come back with pads Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. So, we’ll have four real good sessions this week with them, so by Saturday I think they’ll feel very comfortable.”

(On if it’s good to have OL Barrett Jones back practicing)
“Yeah, it was. It’s a little different in the conditioning, he’s acclimated and it’s ironic that his first day of practice was in full pads. We wanted to get him back. He was anxious to get back. He had no setbacks at all, so he’s good to go.”

(On what TE Jared Cook’s speed and skill means to the offense)
“We’re about creating mismatches, everybody is, and so you think you can create some matchup problems for your opponents. It should open things up down the field, which Jared can get down the field very quickly for us. He’s a big target, big frame. He’s got a giant catch radius which is always a good thing if you’re a quarterback, so he’ll really help us.”

(On all the injuries occurring around the NFL early in the preseason)
“I can’t say that it’s unique to this preseason. Unfortunately, preseason injuries are a part of the game, and they happen every year. It’s just something that you hope that doesn’t happen to you. It’s unfortunate, but when there’s an injury, as most of the coaches are saying, ‘Hey, we’ve got to move on, we’ll get somebody else or we got someone on the roster to step up and get an opportunity’.”

(On former Tennessee Titans LB Keith Bulluck coming to practice today)
“I’ve run into Keith several times since he retired. He got word to us that he’d like to come out and visit, so we invited him. It’s good to see him. He’s doing well. He’s working towards a master’s degree right now and trying to decide what to do, and I think he missed football. So it’s a good opportunity, good to see him.”

(On if Bulluck will be working specifically with LB Alec Ogletree)
“Not necessarily, no. Keith’s got the kind of personality that I’m sure there will be some conversations, and I think if Alec has followed our game, he would realize the kind of player Keith was.”

(On which areas the defense can improve on this year)
“We had a stretch – I think we had a streak of about five or six games where we didn’t have a turnover. I think we need to work consistently on turnovers and cause fumbles. We can improve in our red zone defense, our two-minute defense – a lot of different areas – defense against the run, sudden change when there is an issue offensively or on special teams and the ball is turned over, understanding the importance of going out and getting it right back.”

(On having the defensive core intact from last season)
“It helps from the standpoint of they’re used to each other, they trust each other, they’re going to work hard together, they know how to prepare together. There’s going to be subtle changes every year based on your ability level – that’s our philosophy, is halfway through camp establish the extreme strengths of your football team or your defense, rather, and then you adjust your philosophy accordingly. So, we’re looking to see what we’ve got. Right now we’ve got corners that can cover, we got safeties that can run, and we got guys up front that can rush the passer. So we’ll probably change some minor things scheme-wise to take advantage of that.”

(On if there are similarities between Coach Fisher when he was a defensive back in the NFL and S Matt Giordano)
“No, this is his ninth year and I didn’t get close to that.”

(On how close S Matt Daniels is to recovering from his injury and to returning to practice)
“Matt’s getting close, he’s close. It could happen – I would expect Matt to be able to participate in some preseason games, so that’s close. He’s worked really hard.”

(On what TE Mike McNeill has to do to earn his spot in the lineup with the tough competition)
“Mike’s got to be consistent on offense and with the understanding of what he’s supposed to do and be at the right places at the right time, all those kinds of things. But Mike’s other deal is also special teams and Mike’s really taken a step so far this year in special teams. We worked him in last year towards the end of the season. He’s got a chance to be one of our core guys.”

(On how he will break down the number of snaps amongst the running backs)
“We haven’t talked about it yet, but the carries out here in pads are important because you just don’t have enough opportunity in the games and you’re going to want to throw the football, too. So we’re going to do the best we can to get them some quality work.”

Rams Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer – Post-Practice – July 29, 2013

(On if there will be enough footballs to go around to all his receivers)
“I think we’ll find enough. It’s been fun to watch these guys work together. We had a really good start in the spring. Obviously, I guess they had some great work out in Norman (Oklahoma) with (QB) Sam (Bradford). Then, really they picked up where they left off. It’s been a good start for the first couple of days. It’s good to see the guys playing fast and having fun.”

(On the challenge he faces in trying to get everyone involved in the offense)
“I think honestly, if we just design good plans and the guys work hard and know what they’re doing, the ball’s going to get spread around – that’s the key. Sam’s got to read his progressions. The ball’s going to go to the open guy. You get in trouble when you’re limited and you try to force a ball to a guy or two, but when you have multiple weapons, the ball gets spread around pretty good.”

(On where he expects the run/pass ratio to be this season)
“I think everything here is built on running the football. We feel good about the backs we’ve got here, Isaiah (Pead), Daryl (Richardson), good pick up with Zac Stacy. He’s having a good camp. Again, we know you have the run the football in this league, especially in this division.”

(On if he’s ever had as much speed at receiver as he has this year)
“Probably not. We had a team back with the Jets that was pretty fast with Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards and those guys, but this is probably the fastest unit I’ve been around. The thing that’s been fun is you not only have a fast group but a group that is really buying into the details, the angle of the releases, the splits, stuff like that. A good passing game is one that’s detail oriented. These guys have done a good job of that.”

(On Bradford’s performance in camp)
“He’s doing good. I think he’s having fun. I know he feels like he started off the spring well but got even better. I know he feels like he’s hitting his stride now. It’s been fun to get the pads on today. That was fun to watch these guys compete, but he’s very comfortable.”

(On how different the offensive line looks with T Jake Long’s addition)
“There’s a lot of pieces. The guys are working together. Obviously, Jake’s done a nice job. Rodger (Saffold) moving over to right (tackle) has been terrific. Having (C) Scott Wells back and healthy, they’re playing well together. It’s going to be fun to watch those guys. We get great work every day in practice going against our front four. That is just a dog fight every day, so it’s been fun to watch those guys compete against each other.”

(On if Saffold’s position change has been a smooth one)
“In the spring there were some growing pains I think, but he’s come back and he obviously worked extremely hard over the break. He’s really looked good at right tackle in training camp these four days.”

(On who will get first priority for WR Tavon Austin – the offense or special teams)
“Well, obviously, there’s plenty of touches for him. We have big plans for him on offense and big plans for him on ‘teams.’ Again, he’ll have to be in good shape, which he is.”

(On if Austin will be seen playing running back)
“We’re going to try to keep people off balance with different things. We’re going to try to move him around. If he’s easier to find, it makes it easier for them to double him. If you move him around, they’ve got to work to double him, so that’s a big part of it.”

(On TE Lance Kendricks missing practices and how much of a setback that is)
“He’s done a great job in the meetings. He’s just been really dialed in, second year in the system does help. Again, all he can do is watch and he’s out there making calls and paying attention, stuff like that. I don’t think it’s a setback. I think what he’s going to have to do is once he gets healthy and ready to go, he’s just going to have to work a little bit extra harder. We have no concerns about him in that regard.”

(On the development of TEs Cory Harkey and Mike McNeill)
“I’ll tell you what, we’ve got great depth. Obviously, having ‘Cookie’ (Jared Cook) helps, certainly, but you watch Corky Harkey, you watch a guy that’s undrafted out of UCLA, came in here and missed most of the spring last year and came in for training camp, finally we got him out on the field late in the year. (He’s) having a great camp. Mike McNeill is a guy, obviously, who is a match-up problem. So, we’re splitting some of those reps around, but we also have some other guys that are stepping up as well. Cameron Graham is making some plays. So, that’s going to be a fun room to watch as the competition boils through the preseason.”

(On if he can already envision WR Brian Quick having a bigger role and if he has noticed his development from his rookie year to now)
“Yeah, I do. The one thing that ‘Quickie’ has, he’s big and he can run. The other guys all come in different shapes and sizes, but he is consistently the one big guy that can really run and stretch the field. He’s making a lot of plays for us down the field, so that’s fun to see.”

(On if he began reinstalling the playbook at the start of training camp)
“Yes, a few days back. We always do that. I think it’s a great philosophy that (Head) Coach (Jeff Fisher) has. We kind of give it all to them in the spring, when the ‘rooks’ (are) here, when they come back, and then when the ‘vets’ are here. So today is actually a review day for us. We’re in the fourth practice and we’ve got three installs, so we just started all over again.”

(On if the retention of the playbook installations have been good)
“Excellent.”

(On G/C Barrett Jones practicing today)
“It was fun. He sailed one snap to the left, which we gave him a hard time about, but we certainly don’t worry about his ability to snap. It was fun to see him out there. Another guy that did a great job knowing that he had to get healthy before he could get out there, but he’s certainly ready, knows the system and is taking charge out there.”

Rams Defensive Coordinator Tim Walton – Post-Practice – July 29, 2013

(On how good the defense can be)
“We can be pretty good. We still have guys up front, a seasoned group of guys from last year. We got a lot of new incoming guys with S T.J. (McDonald) and (LB Alec) Ogletree. We still got (LB James) Laurinaitis, (CB) Cortland (Finnegan), and (CB) Janoris (Jenkins). So, we have guys that have played and started here before on defense that are returning that can be just as good.”

(On what LB Will Witherspoon can bring to the team)
“He’s going to bring a senior, veteran leadership. He’s played the game for a long time, gives you depth a multiple positions. That leadership and experience is valuable in this thing. ”

(On how he would evaluate the safeties so far)
“They’re doing well. We have a good group of guys back there. (Darian) ‘Stew’ (Stewart) is playing well, and T.J. is showing up – he’s really picking up things fast as a rookie. Rodney McLeod is really making a lot of plays. He’s running around. He’s versatile. Those guys are doing good. We’re just excited about the athletic ability and the energy that they bring. They’re young, so they’re absorbing a lot of the information so they have room to grow.”

(On how DT Michael Brockers is doing)
“Outstanding. He’s a stud up front. He’s a big athlete. He gives you a lot of flexibility. Also, being able to play a 2-technique, 1-technique, 3-technique, put him right over the center in the zero – so he gives you a lot of flexibility because he’s athletic. He can run, you can widen him out a little bit and get him on the edge, so that’s a valuable option for him also.”

(On playing Ogletree in situations rather than nickel package)
“He’s good athlete. He’s a playmaker. He’s young, he has a lot to learn, but we have veteran leadership over there also. You have Witherspoon – you have some guys there – still have Laurinaitis. He’s a guy that’s athletic, can run around, still has a lot to learn, but explosive and is a playmaker. Hopefully, he can carry that over to Sundays.”

(On if he thought Ogletree would be part of the mix as soon as they drafted him)
“Yeah, that’s what we drafted him for. We brought him in to be the guy. Hopefully, he keeps learning and keeps growing. He has a very good work ethic. He studys the game, practices well, and the thing about it is the offense does such a good job, he goes against good competition. He’s going against (TE Jared) ‘Cookie’ (Cook) every day, so he’s getting good work. Offense is throwing a lot of stuff at us, so that makes us have really to prepare. It’s good to get that early on.”

(On if DE Robert Quinn can contend for a sack title in the NFL)
“No question about it because his speed is unbelievable. He can really rush the passer, he can really close off the edge, and he plays physical. He has great endurance, very athletic, and you just don’t find guys with that type of ability to close and he can do it all in time. He can be a special player for us.”

(On how the new offense will help the defense by going up against them in training camp)
“It’s going to help us tremendously because we’re seeing everything. They added a lot of pieces over there and guys are very explosive, it makes us really have to work. The quarterback does a great job getting the ball out. They have a lot of weapons now and giving a lot of different sets, so it makes us really have to prepare and guys have to communicate and adjust. That’s only going to get you better for Sundays.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: TRANSCRIPT: Jeff Fisher, Brian Schottenheimer, & Tim Wal

[stl]a1f605b5-a241-436a-9f78-349694a5e7d0[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/Head-Coach-Jeff-Fisher-Press-Conference/a1f605b5-a241-436a-9f78-349694a5e7d0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... 9694a5e7d0</a>

[stl]9db16770-a9f0-4508-800a-bed5e0d26ab5[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/OC-Brian-Schottenheimer-Press-Conference/9db16770-a9f0-4508-800a-bed5e0d26ab5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... d5e0d26ab5</a>

[stl]67f3b9ae-92d8-410b-8aac-2bade36893aa[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/DC-Tim-Walton-Press-Conference/67f3b9ae-92d8-410b-8aac-2bade36893aa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... ade36893aa</a>

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

You want me to make another thread again? :tooth:

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot

Username said:
You want me to make another thread again? :tooth:
all ur thred r mine.