TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Eagles Head Coach Chip Kelley and WR Jeremy Maclin, 10-1-14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Eagles Head Coach Chip Kelley and WR Jeremy Maclin, 10-1-14

Eagles Head Coach Chip Kelly – Conference Call – October 1, 2014

(On how to bounce back offensively after the loss to the 49ers last week)
“We just didn’t play well in that game. We played, I think, pretty well in the other three games we’ve played. Just the fundamentals, go back to work and I think you also have to give credit to San Francisco. They’re a very good defensive football team. They did a good job against us.”

(On how the return of OL Lane Johnson will help solidify their offensive line)
“Obviously, Lane was an intrical piece to us last year. We were without him for four weeks, so we’ll see how he progresses this week during practice, how he can contribute. But it helps with the loss of some other people, it helps to at least get somebody healthy back there.”

(On if Johnson play every snap considering he’s missed four weeks)
“You’ve got to see where his conditioning is. Where he is from a mental standpoint. The one thing we do know about Lane is how hard he works. So, we’re anticipating him contributing.”

(On how he gets RB Lesean McCoy and the run game going)
“It’s a combination of everybody. The running back isn’t the only guy in the run game. It’s the offensive line, it’s the tight ends, it’s the receivers, the whole group. Everybody on offense just needs to get back on schedule.”

(On what he would like to see out of QB Nick Foles going forward)
“Just more consistency. I think he probably wanted a couple of throws back on Sunday. But I thought he’s played well this season. We didn’t play a good game on road at San Francisco against a good team. We’re still a 3-1 football team.”

(On what challenges do the Rams defense present his offense)
“A lot of really good athletes. Real good speed on the defensive side of the ball. One of the premier pass rushers in the league in (DE) Robert Quinn. Tall, long, slippery doesn’t stay on blocks very long. You admire the effort that he plays with. He just seems like he’s always running to the ball. Two big guys inside in (DT Michael) Brockers and DT (Kendall) Langford. Then a good change-of-pace when you bring in (DT) Aaron Donald their first round pick out of Pitt who is another dynamic pass rusher. Really solid at linebacker. A true ‘mike’ linebacker in (James) Laurinaitis, a thumper in (LB) Jo-Lonn Dunbar, a real athletic guy in (LB Alec) Ogletree. Then a young secondary, but a real athletic secondary with one of the better corners in the league that we’ll face in (CB Janoris) Jenkins.”

(On QB Austin Davis and on him having a good start this season)
“He did. He’s an athletic kid at that position. Obviously, losing (QB) Sam (Bradford) is a difficult thing just because of what a talent he is, but I thought Austin did a really good job. I think (Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer) ‘Schotty’s’ put him in situations where he can be productive. They’ve got some real playmakers that you have to worry about. They’ve got an athletic tight end in (Jared) Cook that can really, really run and stretch the field on you. Then obviously, guys like (WR) Tavon (Austin) and (WR Chris) Givens and those guys. They’re using them on reverses, they’re throwing screens to them. They’re making you defend the whole field. So it’s a tough attack because there’s not just one phase you can gang up on.”

(On Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin in adapting to the offense after sitting out last season with an injury)
“There was no last year. ‘Mac’ got hurt three or four days into training camp. Unfortunately for us, we didn’t have a chance to have him in our first year here, but he’s worked extremely hard from a rehab standpoint to put himself in position. I think he’s playing at a real high level right now at receiver for us. He’s had some really big games in these first four to start. A legitimate deep threat in this league. He’s got real good long speed. Tracks the ball really well in the air. Really contributing as a blocker on the perimeter also. Just doing a great job for us at the receiver spot right now.”

(On the decision to bring in Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur and what he’s been able to bring to the Eagles offensively)
“Shurmur’s just a hell of a football coach. Obviously he’s been in this league for a long time. Was a long time assistant here for the Eagles. Was the offensive coordinator for the Rams for a couple years. Was the head coach for the Cleveland Browns. I think he brings a wealth of experience. I knew when I came into this league I wanted to hire my coordinators from the NFL. Along with ‘Shurm,’ Billy Davis our defensive coordinator and Dave Fipp our special eams Coordinator all had real solid NFL backgrounds. Shurm’s really contributed and taught me a lot about this league.”

(On what makes his offensive system work)
“You’ve got to execute and you’ve got to get first downs. I think you’ve got to keep yourself on the field. The one thing we didn’t do in the San Francisco game is, we didn’t sustain drives. We needed to get a first down to get our game going. Obviously it was a different game in the first half because of the interception return and the two special teams touchdowns. But in the second half when we had to make things happen two of our first three drives in the second half, we were two-and-out because of turnovers. You can’t turn the ball over against a real good football team and expect to be successful offensively.”

(On the defense’s performance last week and what he would like to see them improve at)
“I thought our defense did play well and I thought the stats did indicate that. We had four sacks. We did a good job in the rushing game, especially the inside rushing game, which they were really good at. We had a little trouble containing (49ers QB Colin) Kaepernick but I think most people in the league do just because of ‘Kaep’s’ athletic ability and what he brings to the table as a true dual-threat quarterback in this league. We’ve got to a better job of getting people off the field on third down. The biggest disappointment from last Sunday… well we had four penalties on third downs that extended drives. If we didn’t have those penalties we would’ve had them off of the field. So, we need to clean that up.”

(On how much would the return of Eagles LB Mychal Kendricks help the defense)
“Anytime you get any of your starters back I think that’s a positive. Mychal’s athletic, can run, is a good match-up in the passing game with people. He’s also a very good blitzer for us. So, if we’re fortunate to get him back it’s obviously a big shot in the arm for us.”

(On Assistant Defensive Backs Coach Todd Lyght)
“Todd’s doing a great job. Obviously had a heck of a career there for the Rams, part of their Super Bowl run. Just started to get into the coaching phase of things after an outstanding career. He’s doing a really good job for us in the secondary.”

(On how his second year in Philadelphia has been considering it’s a tough media town)
“I love Philly.”

(On if he’s noticed differences in the ways that defenses attack his team in his second season and if he’s had to consequently make adjustments on offense)

“Yeah, but that happened all in the first year. Everybody’s different in how they defend different people because everybody has different personnel. We saw different things last year. We see different things this year. That’s the fun in coaching, the chess matches that go on, on a weekly basis, and the chess match that goes on within the game. You’ve got an outstanding defensive staff there. (Rams Head Coach) Jeff (Fisher) is a defensive coach himself. Then you have (Defensive Coordinator) Gregg Williams and those other guys they have on the defensive side. You’re going up against the best in the National Football League. So that’s a challenge that you get excited about.”
Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin - Conference Call - October, 1 2014(On how the offense has done this season)
“I think we’ve been alright. I think there’s room for improvement on our end as far as getting our ground game going a little bit. Also, just being more efficient in the passing game. But, I think to be 3-1 right now, a quarter of a way through the season is pretty good.”

(On how it’s been getting acclimated to Head Coach Chip Kelly’s offense and if he’s enjoying it)
“Absolutely. It makes my job a lot easier when you have other guys around you who can make plays and also when you have the best running back in the league back there as well. It’s definitely a lot of fun, a lot of space to go out there and make plays.”

(On the his adjustments to the no huddle offense and if it was hard or easy)
“It’s not very hard. I think one thing you have to be is you definitely have to be in shape. We pride ourselves on going a fast tempo and you definitely have to be in shape, got to be able to keep up with the pace. It wasn’t that hard to pick up. It was the work that you do in the off season that makes it a lot easier for you.”

(On how difficult it was for him last season to watch the team’s success while being injured)
“Yeah, absolutely. It was my second day of training camp when I tore my ACL. It was definitely frustrating. Not only not to be able to play football, but considering my situation with being my last year of my contract just hoping to get that long term security that every player wants. I’ve been blessed to be healthy again, to come out here and compete and try to help my team win.”

(On if his rehab process was helped by him previously going through it or did it make it tougher)
“It’s a lot different. Rehab’s a lot easier seven years later. It definitely had its hard moments but things were a lot smoother this time around, I’d have to say.”

(On how Coach Kelly has been as a head coach)
“He’s been awesome. He’s been a guy who practices what he preaches, a guy who is very willing to listen which is kind of what you want. He’s also somebody that I respect, not only as a football coach but as a person. Hopefully our relationship will continue to grow. ”

(On how much he enjoys playing against the Rams)
“It will be kind of cool. I think this will be my second time playing against the Rams. So it’ll be cool, at the end of the day it’s just another football game and it’s our job to go out there and get the job done.”

(On the status of his knee and if it’s at 100 percent right now)
“Absolutely. I’ve had no complications with it. I continue to get stronger each and every day. My knee has been absolutely fine up until this point.”

(On if he enjoys being the No.1 wide receiver)
“Yeah I don’t necessarily put numbers on it, or say, ‘I’m the No. 1 guy,’ or say, ‘I’m the third.’ I’ve had the opportunity to just be reliable for my team, that’s kind of how I’ve always been. I haven’t changed my approach one single bit. It’s actually how I approach the game, I think the No.1 job for receiver is to be there when the quarterback needs you.”

(On his catch against the San Francisco 49ers)
“It was just one of those plays where I saw the ball, I just tried to make a play on the ball. How I was going to do that I really didn’t know, it was just I knew it was a situation where we needed to make a play. At the end of the day, we didn’t get the job done in that game and I think that’s the most important thing.”

(On what he has to do this week to get the offense going)
“Go out there and do what we do. Go out there and execute. Go out there establish the running game and I think everything will be fine.”

(On what it’s been like working with Eagles QB Nick Foles)
“It’s been good. Nick’s a student of the game. Nick’s trying to get better each and every play. He’s trying to perfect his craft which is what you want out of a quarterback. He’s also a guy that I truly respect and a guy who commands the huddle. I think when you look at how leading the team and being a quarterback of a football team, those are the traits that you want out of your quarterback.”

(On how he’s handling the negative media attention despite the team’s 3-1 record)
“Like I said earlier, the one thing you want to do, you want to try and win them all. But if you’ve been going, 3-1 at every quarter this year and you’re sitting at the end at 12-4, you’re sitting in a pretty good spot. We have a job, we have work to do. We have to do a better job, like I said, on the offensive side of the ball and we’ll continue to do that. Like I said, we try to win them all.”

(On if his strategy beyond signing a one-year contract was to get a bigger contract after a solid year of play)
“No, I just think I did the best thing for me and my family in my situation. Obviously, like I said every guy wants that long term security but I think right now that was the best thing for me in that situation. This is definitely a place where I want to be long term and we’ll cross that bridge when it comes.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm a Little bit Leary of Maclin in this game . he can be Dangerous!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm considering sitting Maclin in FF. I'm concerned that the Rams are going to kill Foles. Their line is currently awful.
I'd give you 'two Likes' on this ^ IF I could!:D

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'd give you 'two Likes' on this ^ IF I could!:D

Yeah, it pains me and I may not sit him because the dude IS a stud and I'm not sure who I'll have to replace him yet, but that Eagles O-line, ugh. Rams SHOULD have a field day. If they don't, something is gonna need to get fixed and fast.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah, it pains me and I may not sit him because the dude IS a stud and I'm not sure who I'll have to replace him yet, but that Eagles O-line, ugh. Rams SHOULD have a field day. If they don't, something is gonna need to get fixed and fast.
Add to this their D is ranked 24th vs the pass, and 26th vs the run! I'm really looking for the Rams to get well at Phillies expense! :D

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Shurmer, lol. I was wondering what happened to the Eagles.

lockdnram21

Legend
I can't lie I want Maclin to have a good game because I know him personally but I want the Eagles to lose. I was just talking to jeremy brother about that a couple of hours ago

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can't lie I want Maclin to have a good game because I know him personally but I want the Eagles to lose. I was just talking to jeremy brother about that a couple of hours ago
I can understand that. Of course I have no connection to Maclin so I hope his only targets end up in INTs. :cool:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I'm considering sitting Maclin in FF. I'm concerned that the Rams are going to kill Foles. Their line is currently awful.
That's awesome man, I thought the same thing that's why I'm benching Foles for Davis this week. I can't help but feel that this is our d-lines coming out party...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's awesome man, I thought the same thing that's why I'm benching Foles for Davis this week. I can't help but feel that this is our d-lines coming out party...
So what are you holding onto your ROD dollars for? Time to double that cash.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Our pass rush comes alive this week fellas... and it'll make the rest of the defense better. I see at least 3-4 sacks and a pick or two.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What if I was going commando when I made the switch?
Do you really want to see the picture that painted for me? I don't think you do. :eek: If it helps though, I'm commando as I type this.