Torn On The Draft-sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I've said I'm all for drafting OL and CB/S help as we need it. But the more I watch of this kid the more I just think he could add so much to the offense not to mention the overall speed would be insane. Watkins, Givens and Austin. Damn. And it's not like Quick is slow. Plus if he really gets going this year he is a physical beast.

If there was anyway we can get Watkins and a top OL or CB/S in round 1 I'd be pretty happy.

What say you?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Trade down and land Sammy or stay and draft Clowney. I'm good with either. If the offers are too low then we don't need to give in.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally, I'd say no unless Matthews, Clowney and Robinson are gone.

Ramifications

I've said I'm all for drafting OL and CB/S help as we need it. But the more I watch of this kid the more I just think he could add so much to the offense not to mention the overall speed would be insane. Watkins, Givens and Austin. Damn. And it's not like Quick is slow. Plus if he really gets going this year he is a physical beast.

If there was anyway we can get Watkins and a top OL or CB/S in round 1 I'd be pretty happy.

What say you?

I was discussing at another board someone who preferred Marquis Lee to Sammy Watkins. They were concerned with so many bubble screens about his route running, thought he wasn't as agile and won't be able to get open as well at the next level. Hope this isn't too out of context to be useful for the purposes of the thread. Included is some tape breakdown.

"The ability to run a full route tree also has to do with other things than acceleration and agility (which no doubt, all things being equal, are assets), and at a root level, also with things like precision, attention to detail, diligence, hard work, knowing exactly how many steps to take, where to be at the right time, etc. This is why close to zero rookies are master technicians, and even many vets never are. I think we are talking about different things when I used the Keith Jackson example, and you drew a different conclusion. Scouts will have to use their imagination when it comes to projecting whether he will be able to run a full route tree or not. If South Carolina ran a pro style offense, we would already have the answer, and it wouldn't be in doubt, as it is with you.

Sammy Watkins (few sets of highlights below). Some are seeing him as fast but not necessarily quick, I guess I'm seeing it different. He ran like a 10.4 or 10.5 100 m. IMO, that is hard to do without being quick and having some serious get off and acceleration, too. We don't usually refer to players with 10.4 track backgrounds as having "build up" speed and getting faster as they get downfield. He isn't Barry Sanders in the open field, but not many WRs are. The way he is described, it is as if he has a rocket strapped to him, is on ice skates and you just point him towards the end zone. He isn't QUITE that linear. One thing that hasn't been discussed is hands. Watkins appears to have outstanding hands. I haven't followed Lee as closely, but reportedly he had a lot of drops this season, so that could be worth watching.

Jerry Rice was the greatest for a lot of reasons (short area burst and quickness had a lot to do with hit, he was very strong for his size, supreme concentration, cartoonishly good hands, iron will and competitive determination, Walter Payton-like conditioning, stamina and endurance, having one of the greatest 1-2 punches in history at QB, along with Waterfield/Van Brocklin, in Montana/Young didn't hurt. etc.). But one of the biggest, and possibly most neglected, was his tendency to get north/south ASAP. He got a lot of extra yards by being decisive in this way. On a lot of the bubble screens, this is what Watkins seems to be doing. It may look like he doesn't have a lot of wiggle, I take it more as he is A) Getting what he can, and B) Sometimes he is so fast he doesn't need to string together a half dozen cuts and moves because his open field speed is destroying the angles of defenders, so why horse around and do a combo mambo/breakdance behind the LOS.

If Bruce Feldman (see below - puts out the annual Freak List) thinks Evans is going to run a 4.4, than just looking at them comparitively, Watkins is significantly faster, and that would make me think he cracks into the sub-4.4 threshold, which will make him a pretty hot property come May, and would be doubtful to get past CLE or OAK, so STL may not want to drop past 1.4 if they want him (though maybe they want Robinson or Matthews, and could possibly drop to 1.6 or even 1.8?).

:05 - Breaks a tackle, looks pretty quick to me getting up to speed, doesn't need to make a lot of moves but outraces the defense to the end zone.

:42 - Leaping catch, shows good awareness to immediately chage the angle and avoid a converging defender for a score.

1:23 - Shows impressive quickness defeating the press coverage of the first CB and once he had the ball beating the safety for a TD.

1:33 - Kick return, once he sticks his foot in the ground he is gone, looks like serious acceleration to me.

1:53 - Handoff, 60 yard score, ho hum, I guess he didn't make a lot of moves, but it should be pointed out that he didn't need to because of his speed, where a slower player probably would have had to and wouldn't have scored. He makes a subtle cut to the corner and his speed destroys the pursuit of two trailing defenders that should have had the angle.

2:21 - Shows some good feet and short area quickness in avoiding multiple defenders before sprinting to the house.

2:50 - Again, gets up to speed pretty quickly on the screen, most impressive is how he trucks the defender, and he only gets tackled after two or three defenders drag him down.

3:09 - Kirk Herbstreit talks about his hands.

Some stuff on intangibles, but also maybe my favorite highlight.

2:16 - Catches the ball between two defenders, breaks a tackle, up to full speed in 2-3 strides, jukes the closer third defender who has the sideline to the middle of the field, nearly simultaneously sees with his peripheral vision a trailing fourth defender working inside out and quickly cuts back to the sideline to avoid him, avoids running into his teammate with some traffic congestion, at this point he completely turned around the third defender, he turns on the jets while barely avoiding the sideline in the contrained space and beats both defenders to the corner of the end zone for a TD.

Marquis Lee

2:28 - Nice back-to-back-to-back plays. First shows ability to go up and get a contested ball for a score that was maybe an intended back shoulder throw that inadvertantly went straight ahead. Second (2:33) shows some of the leg strength EBF referred to as he takes a quick hitter and powers though 3-4-5 defenders, with an assist from a USC OL or two
smile.png
. Third (2:41) does highlight probably the best feet, quickness and elusiveness of all the Watkins/Lee highlights I looked at above. But in a lot of plays, like the Watkins highlights, he is so dominant at this level he is just running away from defenders so not an ideal showcase for the full range and scope of his skill set.

* Mailbag: Sorting out the (2014) WR class In the NFL draft by Bruce "Freak List" Feldman. To possibly add to the confusion, he doesn't really address Watkins, accepting the premise of the question that Watkins is off the board. But he does say he likes Evans best in the class, which was interesting. It sounds like he has some access to both Evans and Manziel in So Cal. He thinks he is going to run a 4.4, the first person I heard say that (personally I'm sceptical, my guess would be closer to a 4.55). He also reminded me that Evans was primarily a basketball player until his senior year in high school, so he could have substantial upside once he learns the ropes of the position (currently training with James Lofton on route running). He is only 20, which is appealing in dynasty leagues. Also interestingly, he likes "bend it like" Beckham more than Lee (I don't agree, just passing it along) and points out he is also a sensational athlete, and likes Matthews (and Benjamin) more than Robinson. He notes that Benjamin may be even more of a monster than Evans size-wise, but thinks he is even more raw, and is in his estimation more of a project and boom/bust-type."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...bag-sorting-out-the-wr-class-in-the-nfl-draft

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I don't know how crazy I am about taking a lower leg injury prone wideout, that caught 50% of his passes behind the LOS. Especially not in this offense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Trade down with Cleveland
Watkins
Martin
Clinton-Dix
Gabe Jackson
Marcus Roberson
Job done.

In your mock above you believe that the Browns will trade their two first rd'ers for our #2 pick.....what would you do if the Browns refuse to give up both of their first round selections for the Rams #2 but here's what the Browns offered you.....which one would you take?
Rams 1st rd.#2 selection for:
(A).Browns- 1st rd. #26, 2nd rd.#36 & 3rd rd.#68
(B).Browns- 2nd rd.#36, 3rd rd.#68 & future First rd. in 2015
(C).Browns- 1st rd. #4, 2nd rd.#36 & 4th rd #100.
(D).Browns- 1st rd.#26 & Future 1st rd in 2015
(E).Browns- Future 1st rd in 2015 & 2016

Last edited by a moderator:

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some interesting replies. I don't think you take him #2, but in a trade down situation I would. I've read different things about both players. Like Watkins catches a lot of passes behind the LOS. That particular video wasn't the case at all. I've also heard people say Lee catches the ball more in his body and not with his hands which causes a lot of drops.
Of the two I could be happy with either but prefer Watkins. But I'll be honest and say I haven't watched enough video of all of the WR's in the draft.

Anyone else you guys like that's worth looking at?
My absolute preference would be Matthews/Robinson and then Watkins. But we would probably have to trade UP to make that happen.

F. Mulder

Starter
Some interesting replies. I don't think you take him #2, but in a trade down situation I would. I've read different things about both players. Like Watkins catches a lot of passes behind the LOS. That particular video wasn't the case at all. I've also heard people say Lee catches the ball more in his body and not with his hands which causes a lot of drops.
Of the two I could be happy with either but prefer Watkins. But I'll be honest and say I haven't watched enough video of all of the WR's in the draft.

My absolute preference would be Matthews/Robinson and then Watkins. But we would probably have to trade UP to make that happen.

For me personally of the 3 my order is Mathews, Watkins, Robinson.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

He's a great athlete. His speed, and proven ability to be a playmaker and get in the endzone alone is worthy of a top 10 pick. I wouldn't be pissed at all if the Rams drafted him. The problem is, you have to put him in the right position to make plays. I just don't see him helping this offense as much as a dominate offensive linemen would. I view him more as a hybrid than I do a pure wideout. This is only based on the way he was used in Clemsons offense. The Rams are already having a tough enough time figuring out how to use Tavon. I don't see them using Watkins to his full ability. Not in this offense. Now, if you can prove to me that he can run every route to a point that allows him to get open on a consistent basis, and has the ability to be a #1 pure wideout then I'll start thinking otherwise. He may be able to, I just haven't seen it. Also, love the hands, hate the injuries. Just my opinion, and doesn't make it right at all LOL.

My preference would be trade down, get Robinson, and take whoever is highest rated on their board at #13 regardless of position. In the end though, I do trust the Rams, Les, and the scouting department they have in place. I won't be pissed about anyone they draft.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
IMO in the top of round one you want elite players. The Rams spent many years filling holes at the top of the draft, usually causes GM's to reach. I try to view the draft in terms of first round picks should be pro bowler's in three years especially in the top half of the first round. I guess all GM's want to pick pro bowler's, but I think Rams fans are skewed because we've been picking there so long we think it's normal to be in the top half every year. lol

F. Mulder

Starter
IMO in the top of round one you want elite players. The Rams spent many years filling holes at the top of the draft, usually causes GM's to reach. I try to view the draft in terms of first round picks should be pro bowler's in three years especially in the top half of the first round. I guess all GM's want to pick pro bowler's, but I think Rams fans are skewed because we've been picking there so long we think it's normal to be in the top half every year. lol
I agree. We need special players not simply guys to fill a roster. With that said, I still think we can do both (getting a special player and trading down) but not below 8-10. IMO, after 10 the likelihood decreases, especially in this draft; lots of solid players but on the surface few "gamechangers".

Ramifications

If we trade down and Clowney is off the board, who between Robinson, Watkins and Matthews (my BPA order) do you think is most likely toemerge as a Pro Bowler in three years?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do agree first and foremost a dominant OL is the key. If we have a top 10 D and Stacy, Benny and whoever else continue to put up 100+ yard games then I think Sam can really excel. I think we all agree that generally when Sam has time to pass he can be extremely effective. I would hope that with a full year under his belt, Shotty will see what works and what doesn't and adapt to the talent he has. I wouldn't be upset if we come out of this draft with 2 stud OL picks.

tonyl711

Starter
I don't think the Rams will go Oline in the first, I think they are confident that Long will be back in time and healthy, IMO they will look for a LT in the second to 4th round range, someone they feel they can coach up and use as a spot starter if needed early on. I don't see them taking a guard in the first either. I don't see them taking Clowney since they already have one of the best Dlines in the league, not to mention the red flags on him. we aren't taking a QB at #2, so IMO they will trade into the 4 to 6 range pick up extra picks and hope Watkins is still on the board when they pick.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I don't think the Rams will go Oline in the first, I think they are confident that Long will be back in time and healthy, IMO they will look for a LT in the second to 4th round range, someone they feel they can coach up and use as a spot starter if needed early on. I don't see them taking a guard in the first either. I don't see them taking Clowney since they already have one of the best Dlines in the league, not to mention the red flags on him. we aren't taking a QB at #2, so IMO they will trade into the 4 to 6 range pick up extra picks and hope Watkins is still on the board when they pick.

I think you are right except for the Clowney part if we can't trade back. Fisher loves defense, especially if an elite talent comes up. I agree with the rest though 100%. Watkins will be picked if we trade back to #4-#6.