Top Ten All Time Ram TIGHT ENDS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WHICH NAME SCORES MORE IN SCRABBLE?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
In light of our inability to recall any decent tight ends in our history, I thought I'd bump this post.

At this rate, Higbee might be top ten by next year. :sneaky:
Especially considering the fact Cook is on this ^List!!

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The Rams sure have had trouble finding high-calibre TEs. The fact I'd rate Jared Cook higher than 9th all time among Rams is pretty telling. Hopefully Higbee becomes a weapon for us.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I remember when I thought it was all good when Randy McMichael sp? was signed. He seemed to be productive in Miami and he came to STL and was terrible. I feel like TE and MLB has eluded the Rams historically for whatever reason.

London Fletcher resents this comment.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Damone Johnson was a good do it all TE.
A good blocker and capable receiver.
Bonus points from coming out of Cal Poly.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The one that stands out the most is Pete Holohan. He seemed to be a go to guy for Everett back then. Billy Truax would be up there for me. Probably didn't accomplish much as far as receiving but he was the first Rams TE I remember. You always remember your first. ;)

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Holohan, Drayton and Conwell are are my favorites. Truax was before I remember watching games well enough to even know what a TE was LOL
I liked Drayton a lot too. I think he gets lost in the shuffle because those teams were so bad.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I remember when I thought it was all good when Randy McMichael sp? was signed. He seemed to be productive in Miami and he came to STL and was terrible. I feel like TE and MLB has eluded the Rams historically for whatever reason.
I don't agree that Really good MLB's have "Eluded" the Rams, Here are our "TOP 10" in order of when they Played, Starting with Most recent:
* Laurinaitis
* Will Witherspoon
* Fletcher
* Robert Jones
* Carl Ekern
* Jim Youngblood
* Jack Reynolds
* Les Richter
* Don Paul
* Tank Younger

"This is not a Bad top 10! I'd take anyone of them again!!"

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This might be the worst position for good players in Rams history. Every other position we can have some truly great players. Not so much for TE.

God knows they tried to trade for them too with Charles Young for Ron Jaworski and Tony Hunter for Vince Ferragamo.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
For the Record my favorite Rams Tight End of all time is David Hill....Hill did not catch much, but he blocked like a freight train and Eric Dickerson ran off his ass for over 2,000 yards. Lawrence Taylor called him the best blocker he had ever faced! That's right David Hill!
DavidHill1.jpg

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I forgot about Troy Drayton..if he was on a good Ram team, he could have helped....Sucking in the mid-90's by the Rams...

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
It's true that TE has only recently evolved to be a featured position in the NFL (Kellen Winslow Sr. notwithstanding), but for the franchise leader to only have 180 grabs is kinda laughable. And I mean it in the nicest half joking way possible.

Other names right near Truax on the franchise receptions list include long time Rams Brandon Gibson and Danny Amendola.

Kendricks is 27 catches, 545 yards and a 2 TDs away from owning all the high water marks in franchise history for the position.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's true that TE has only recently evolved to be a featured position in the NFL (Kellen Winslow Sr. notwithstanding), but for the franchise leader to only have 180 grabs is kinda laughable. And I mean it in the nicest half joking way possible.

Other names right near Truax on the franchise receptions list include long time Rams Brandon Gibson and Danny Amendola.

Kendricks is 27 catches, 545 yards and a 2 TDs away from owning all the high water marks in franchise history for the position.
What I discovered in researching this post was that we just have not had guys last, -because of free agency or injury, (Conwell, Drayton) or they just have a few years in our system (Holohan, Hill) or it was before the league used tight ends much, or just the Rams "ground Chuck" legacy, through several coaches -not just Knox, but Robinson, and of course, Fisher.

The Rams have had far more 1,000 yd rushers than receivers in their history. Much less tight ends.

I think Kendricks could be much more than he has been with the Rams. I hope we don't do that with Higbee, too.

Go back and look at Charlie Young's receiving stats. I half-jokingly say he should sue the Rams for sabotaging a Hall of Fame career, sandwiched between his years in Philly and San Fran.