Tony Dungy: I wouldn’t have taken Michael Sam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't buy Dungy's hypocrisy shrouded in religious beliefs. He would have weathered MUCH worse when he advocated for Michael Vick and he had no trouble whatsoever saying if he were a HC that he would take on all that, the pickets, the loss of season ticket sales, the fan outrage, the boycotts and on and on just to make the point that Vick deserved a second chance.

So it's not that he's against disruption or distraction. We KNOW that because he's ON RECORD of advocating for the most controversial player since Ray Lewis. So, based on his other evangelical efforts, it's safe to say its because Sam's gay.

As for his eval, it's fine that we disagree. I assert that the league refused to draft him expressly because he came out, that he is actually better than his initial 3-5 round evaluation and that Jeff Fisher decided to take a guy with a 3rd round (at worst) grade with a 7th round comp pick to throw the league a bone AND because he can't lose in the deal. He's getting a quality player where you normally take chances on developmental players and doing the league a MASSIVE solid at the same time because Sam didn't go undrafted. If I'm right, it's better for the Rams, so here's hoping I'm right.

I don't buy the "media is out to get Dungy" take. Dungy has built up tremendous amity with the sports media and journalists in general, so the idea that he's just some guy who the vultures would pounce on for one statement just doesn't wash with me. Plus, outlets went out of this way to run his clarification. How many guys get that?

No, IMHO and clearly the opinion of others out there, Dungy indicted himself with his statement and his clarification didn't really didn't do much to alter anything. Doesn't make him the devil or even a bad person. It does make him hypocritical on this...and wrong.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Dungy just doesn't know how it came to pass...

Riiiinnnnng, Riiiinnnng...

Hello?

Jeff, this is Roger.

Hey Commish - how was Mount Everest?

Great - Kilimanjaro?

Great as well - what's up?

You aware of that gay player at Mizzou - Sam?

Yeah - hell of a player; wish I wasn't set at DE.

Yeah...about that. You have several compensetory picks right?

Yeah...

I sure hope he gets drafted. It'd be good PR for the League.

(Silence)

So, seems like the refs were kinda' hard on you guys last year.

Yeah it did.

Well listen, I gotta' run, but it'd sure be great if Sam gets drafted.

I agree - he's a great kid - local too. I'm sure he'll get taken.

Sure hope so - see ya later Jeff.

:huh:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
@VegasRam

If that conversation did indeed transpire, I suspect the quid pro quo had more to do with the Rams not getting stuck with Hard Knocks.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
An odd memory popped into my head when I read this.

I remember when Dungy's son committed suicide and everyone was trying to figure out "why" he did it.

And I remember reading somewhere that his son had seen the movie Brokeback Mountain (with friends) the night before he took his life.

Always made me wonder. Gay teens have a high suicide rate, specially one raised in a fundamentalist Christian home.

But, anyway.. Apparently a lot of teams did not want Sam because of the same reason Dungy mentioned.

The Rams weren't one of them. And I've not seen much negative come from it.

Besides, Sam seems exemplary off the field.