Tom Brady suspended 4 games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How long will Tom Brady be suspended?

• 2 games

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • 4 games

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • 6 games

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • 8 games

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • The whole season

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Who are you kidding? He won't be suspended at all

Votes: 47 32.9%

• Total voters

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/21/tom-brady-suspension-appeal-nfl-deflategate/

rog-tom-story.jpg

Getty Images (2)

The Brady Appeal: What’s Next in Deflategate Drama
Tired of the lawyerspeak this NFL offseason? Well, hang on a little longer. The union’s appeal of Tom Brady’s four-game suspension is next on the docket, with Judge Roger Goodell presiding. Here’s what to expect this summer
By Andrew Brandt

The 2015 NFL offseason mini-series about Tom Brady’s deflated footballs continues. Simmering since January, the heat was raised again this month in five installments: 1) the Wells Report; 2) the NFL discipline to Brady and the Patriots; 3) the Wells Report Context (“the Rebuttal”); 4) the Patriots Surrender; and 5) the Brady Appeal. The mini-series really should be titled “Attack of the Lawyers.”

Having already written about the Wells Report and the penalties, here are my thoughts on the latest episodes and what’s still to come:

Rebuttal
This document, prepared for the Patriots by the law firm of Morgan Lewis, was surprising in that it largely attacked the process (the Wells Report) rather than shed light on any (credible) exculpatory information. While the scientific analysis from a Nobel Prize winner (reportedly working for a firm for which Robert Kraft has an ownership interest) was a legitimate response to the Wells Report’s analysis, the explanation of the alleged deflation scheme was, to be charitable, lacking.

The Rebuttal asserted that 1) John Jastremski and Jim McNally were simply goofballs joking around in texts (the Rebuttal suggested that we all send texts we really do not mean); 2) the “he” referred to by them when discussing preferred football pressure specifications was not Tom Brady; and 3) McNally’s moniker “the Deflator” was simply a reference to his desire for weight loss. These contentions strain credulity. Making the Rebuttal even less believable was the fact that the Patriots suspended Jastremski and McNally—whom the Rebuttal defended—the day the findings of the Wells Report came out. Although one report indicated the NFL “suggested” those suspensions, the league has denied that.

My question regarding the Rebuttal was whether Kraft was using it as his appeal to the court of public opinion in lieu of an appeal through the league’s arbitration system or court. I believed all along that Kraft would avoid further action to 1) avoid lengthy litigation; and 2) use this humiliation as potential political chip to gain a reciprocal advantage down the road.

And that happened. My sense is that some voices important to Kraft saw the folly of the Rebuttal and influenced his decision to surrender. If the Rebuttal was going to be his basis for further action against the league, there were going to be some uphill climbs.

Good Timing
In a bit of fortuitous timing, the league’s annual May meeting coincided with Kraft weighing his options. Although the meetings comprise formal sessions, the real “action” when owners meet is more in sidebar conversations where investments of political capital are made for future reciprocal return.

I believe Kraft and his son Jonathan took the temperature of the group Monday and decided to give up the fight. In Kraft’s statement Tuesday, he mentioned such notions as “all 32,” “good of the league,” and “collective good,” all watchwords of the NFL and its owners. Kraft was one of the owners approving penalties in the past for Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder (salary cap violations) and saw recent penalties for Arthur Blank (piped-in noise) and Jimmy Haslam (texting from owners’ box) accepted without further action. Kraft knows the value of politics and relationships, and he made a decision to listen to his fellow owners and stand down to win one down the road.

As for that win, there is the convenient theory involving a reduced suspension for Brady, although I truly think that is completely separate. Jeffrey Kessler and the NFLPA are ready for a showdown with Goodell and the NFL, discussed below. I also don’t think that Kraft necessarily wants his quid pro quo right away; he has a political chip to hold over the head of the commissioner and other owners for a while. He will need something down the road—a stadium benefit, a rule proposal approval, an ownership transaction issue—and look for a return of this favor at that time. Politics matter, and that is what Kraft is playing here.

Moving from the team to the players, we get set for another incarnation of Brady v. NFL,this one examining football pressure rather than football earnings. Hearing the case will be the punching bag for so many, Roger Goodell. Let’s review why he will sit in that chair.

‘Not Giving That Up’
Having covered the 2011 lockout negotiation issues between the NFL and NFLPA more than any (sane) person should, I remember a top union executive telling me Goodell had “jumped the shark” on player discipline and it was a union priority to curb Goodell’s “judge, jury and executioner” powers. And I remember Goodell telling me that while willing to surrender his role as arbitrator of drug-testing appeals, “Conduct and integrity are commissioner areas—I’m not giving that up.” And in the horse-trading of the harried negotiation on the eve of training camp, the NFLPA moved to other priorities and Goodell’s disciplinary powers remain unchecked.

Despite their loss on that front in the CBA, the union is emboldened by “wins” from: 1) the lifting of the 2012 bounty suspensions by former commissioner Paul Tagliabue after Goodell recused himself; and 2) the 2014 Ray Rice appeal in which Goodell, an obvious witness, allowed for an independent former judge to rule, and the decision went in favor of Rice. Despite these wins, nothing has changed systematically and, perhaps because of them, Goodell has named himself to hear the Brady appeal and will likely deny the union’s request for an independent arbitrator.

As to the NFLPA’s request that Goodell be a witness, I assume that will be denied as well. Knowing this, the NFLPA and its esteemed counsel Jeffrey Kessler are setting the table for a potential appeal, already having won in federal court in the Adrian Peterson case. However, the NFL has lawyers too—in case you haven’t heard—and they certainly know an appeal is likely if they don’t receive their desired result. Further, the Peterson result was due to arbitrator Harold Henderson not applying past precedent in domestic violence cases, the “law of the shop,” rather than him being partial (an important distinction).

The Appeal
As they did for the Rice and Peterson appeals, the NFLPA brought prominent labor attorney Jeffrey Kessler on to the case, and there is no one else Brady should want on his side. Interestingly, Kessler was the lead attorney on the first Brady v. NFL, a strong antitrust case if the players were willing to wait out a lengthy litigation (which they weren’t).

Kessler and the NFLPA will put the person levying the discipline and the addressee on the notice, Troy Vincent, in the spotlight regarding player discipline as they did in the Adrian Peterson appeal. Indeed, the notice chastises Vincent in a footnote reading, “We also note that one arbitrator has previously found that you, in particular, are unfamiliar with proper NFL discipline procedures and have no role in imposing discipline.” Ouch. As with Peterson, the NFLPA will question Vincent’s role in disciplining Brady as that is the role of commissioner—and only the commissioner—per Article 46 of the CBA.

In response, the NFL likely will detail Vincent’s area of game-day operations, with Brady’s transgression being in that category as opposed to player conduct. NFL lawyers will point to last month’s discipline to officials of the Browns and Falcons for similar game-day operations violations, with discipline handed down by Vincent.

The NFLPA’s strongest argument, in my view, addresses past precedent and “similar alleged conduct” drawing little or no discipline. Kessler and the NFLPA will point to the Vikings-Panthers game with heated footballs—and no discipline—and news accounts of other quarterbacks who liked their footballs a certain way. They will invoke the phrase the “law of the shop”—requiring the application of precedent—and accuse the NFL of being arbitrary and capricious.

In responding to this argument, the NFL may discuss whether the Brady discipline is for one game (the Colts game) or for a “pattern of behavior,” something certainly a part of the Patriots discipline. The exact time scope of Brady’s alleged actions was unclear (at least to me) from the Wells Report and should come out in the NFL’s defense of its position.

Speaking of the Wells Report, the appeal will be a referendum on it. The NFLPA claims it is “wrought with unsupported speculation” and a “disregard of contrary evidence.” NFL lawyers will emphasize Wells’ credentials, the thoroughness of the report (time and cost were not an issue) and Brady’s failure to turn over records of phone calls and text-message records despite assured safeguards and no demand for his phone.

My sense is that with Goodell presiding, the best Brady can hope for is a one- to two-game reduction. The key to me is whether Kessler has exculpatory evidence allowing him to do more than attack the process (the Wells Report).

Brady v. NFL, the sequel, is set to begin in the NFL’s ever-running offseason theater. Get your popcorn ready.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-feels-no-sympathy-for-patriots-or-tom-brady/

Darrelle Revis feels no sympathy for Patriots or Tom Brady
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 20, 2015

bradyrevis.jpeg
AP

Apparently when you’re a Jet, you’re a Jet for life.

Because even though he ducked out of town and won a Super Bowl with Tom Brady and the Patriots, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis said he’s not losing any sleep over Brady’s four-game suspension.

“Everybody’s blowing it up because it is Tom Brady,” Revis told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “I understand that. But if [the NFL] feels he did the crime or he did something and they want to penalize them, then that’s that.

“[The Patriots] have a history of doing stuff. You can’t hide that, . . . Tom was there when they did that stuff in the past.”

The recidivism was noted when the league doled out its punishment for #DeflateGate, hitting the Patriots for $1 million and a first- and a fourth-round pick, with the lingering memory of Spygate (back before we had hashtags) mentioned specifically in the league release.

Revis said he wasn’t aware of any PSI shenanigans, but said the franchise’s history had to have been a factor.

“New England’s been doing stuff in the past and getting in trouble,” Revis said. “When stuff repeatedly happens, then that’s it. I don’t know what else to tell you. Stuff repeatedly happened through the years. You got SpyGate, you got this and that and everything else. Obviously in those situations in the past, they had the evidence. So they did what they needed to do.”

And just because Brady’s been one of the league’s poster boys for years, Revis said he didn’t feel like that had any influence, and didn’t know whether that would change the perception that Brady cheated.

“I don’t know,” Revis said. “I don’t care. It doesn’t matter. If people want to judge him as a cheater, that’s their opinion.”

So while even though he respects Brady, and Brady helped him get the ring he never won with the Jets or Buccaneers, that doesn’t merit him special treatment now.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hick-never-believed-brady-on-deflation-issue/

Report: Belichick never believed Brady on deflation issue
Posted by Mike Florio on May 22, 2015

brady7.jpg
Getty Images

The popular theory regarding the somewhat surprising decision of the Patriots to not appeal the punishments imposed against the team by the NFL is that owner Robert Kraft and Commissioner Roger Goodell struck some sort of a behind-the-scenes deal, possibly one that entails reducing the four-game suspension imposed on quarterback Tom Brady. But there’s another theory that is simpler, both on the surface and beneath.

Maybe the Patriots just caved because they knew they couldn’t win and they didn’t want to do more damage to their relationship with their 31 business partners and the presiding body that binds them together.

Appearing recently on CSN New England’s Sports Tonight, Ron Borges of the Boston Herald offered up a tidbit that fits with the theory that the Patriots abandoned a fight they knew: (1) they wouldn’t win; and (2) would make things worse.

“[Coach Bill] Belichick never believed [Brady’s] story, from what I was told,” Borges said. “Because they all know. Why do you think all those retired quarterbacks, the Troy Aikmans of the world — Troy Aikman is about as nice a guy as I’ve ever met in football — nobody’s backed [Brady]. Nobody, not a single guy. Why do you think that is? Because they hate Brady? No. Because they’re not stupid. They know nothing’s done with those balls that the quarterback doesn’t want done.”

That’s pretty much what Brady said back in January, during that awkward are-you-a-cheater?-I-don’t-believe-so press conference that few found credible.

“When I pick those footballs out, at that point, to me, they’re perfect. I don’t want anyone touching the balls after that, I don’t want anyone rubbing them, putting any air in, taking any air out, to me those balls are perfect and that’s what I expect when I’m on the field,” Brady said.

So if he doesn’t want anyone to do anything to the footballs after that and if they do something to the footballs after that, they’re either making the footballs less perfect to Brady’s chagrin — or more perfect to Brady’s delight.

The Wells report has many flaws. The science is shoddy and suspect. And the team of high-priced sharks supposedly skilled and experienced in interrogating witnesses was unable to get a confession from a pair of maroons whose text messages made them seem guilty.

Even without a confession or a smoking gun from Messrs. Beavis and Butthead, the text messages made them seem guilty. Someone apparently was doing something to footballs that Brady had deemed to be perfect. Although the NFL historically failed to understand the dynamics of air pressure and historically failed to apply any sort of scientific principles to the pre-game inflation process and historically failed to properly supervise the footballs before kickoff and historically failed to ensure a clear chain of custody of the official game balls, the text messages point vaguely to misconduct. Although some league officials may have had an agenda against the Patriots during the AFC title game and after it (by leaking blatantly false PSI data to ESPN, which gave the situation a much more sinister feel), the text messages point vaguely to misconduct.

That’s perhaps why Belichick isolated Brady from the get go, telling reporters that the coach knew nothing about the preparation of the footballs, and that reporters would have to talk to Brady. Unless a deal was struck through the back channels to secure better treatment for Brady (if he accepts the obvious offer from Commissioner Roger Goodell to finally turn over that cell phone), the Patriots perhaps have decided that they should walk away from a fight they can’t win because they finally realize it’s also a fight they shouldn’t win.

Still, it’s also a fight the NFL has failed to convincingly win, thanks to a multi-million-dollar investigation that resulted in a puzzle pieces being jammed together to look like the lid of a different box. And that’s the biggest problem with this entire escapade. By failing to craft a report that withstood objective external scrutiny, Wells and company made it impossible for anyone to achieve a clear sense as to what did and didn’t happen. They were supposed to get to the truth. Instead, the developed a visceral sense of what the truth was, and they did an ineffective job of finding the truth and presenting it in a way that comes off as persuasive and accurate.

But if Belichick ultimately doesn’t believe Brady, there was no reason to keep fighting. And if Borges is right, the Patriots may have deeper issues to deal with regarding the relationship between franchise quarterback and coach and franchise quarterback and franchise.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-request-to-recuse-himself-from-brady-appeal/

Report: Goodell rejects NFLPA request to recuse himself from Brady appeal
Posted by Josh Alper on May 22, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptc5zgrinmzhnje4mwfkn2u4ymm2yzrjmtriowy4ywew.jpeg
AP

During an appearance on ESPN Friday, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said that the union would “certainly increase the volume of the request” didn’t get a response from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to their request that he recuse himself from hearing Tom Brady’s appeal by the end of next week.

According to multiple reports, the union has gotten their response and it is the one that most people were expecting after Goodell said at the league meeting this week that he wanted to hearfrom Brady himself. Goodell will not be turning the appeal over to a neutral arbitrator, which is a decision that’s sure to increase the volume from the union all by itself.

A date has not been set yet for the appeal and Smith said Friday that the union has not decided whether to file a lawsuit asking that Goodell be removed as the arbitrator before the appeal is heard.

Goodell said that he looks forward “to hearing directly from Tom if there’s new information” that can help in “getting this right.” That’s raised speculation that the suspension could be reduced if Brady agrees to hand over the text messages that he was unwilling to provide Ted Wells during the investigation that preceded his report and Brady’s discipline.

rams2050

Starter
Maroons? And we're to believe Mike Florio and his MORON analysis?

Frankly, I think they're ALL morons. . . most of all, the NFL for not taking proper precautions with the balls prior to kickoff AND for not investigating ALL previous allegations of Patriot cheating, including those detailed in the book "Spygate: the Untold Story."

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I dunno. If there's ONE thing you can't do... Ask James Harrison... It's pee pee off the Commish and lying to the Commish and then taking it public is pissing him off.

The Smart move was an independent arbitrator. But they pissed him off by crapping all over Troy Vincent and Ted Wells.

So he's retaining the final say in all this. Which is his way of saying... "Fine. You wanna sue? Go ahead. You'll never get this settled prior to the end of the four game suspension and that will come with subpoena power via discovery. That discovery may allow for further punishment. Don't F with the Commish."

He may be losing Kraft in all this, but he's gaining several owners who have wanted him pried from Kraft's side for awhile now.

Mac I think he's mostly at odds with Kraft and has been for some time. I know they make nice-nice at NFL events and such but Spygate was really a black eye and Belichik was such a shit about it too.

Now this happening in the playoffs..........I don't think he's a fan of Kraft. He can never come out and say it but I don't think he is. Consider that many people think the punishment was WAY to harsh. You don't do that to someone you want to keep close. You do that out of anger and a feeling of revenge.

@CGI_Ram I suspect you are right that Goodell said something that got Kraft's attention. And I bet it wasn't just about this Deflategate shit. I'd bet he let him know he saved his ass on Spygate and he better shut the fuck up so this deflated balls nonsense gets out of the media.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...akes-belief-in-bradys-innocence-to-the-grave/

Pats fan takes belief in Brady’s innocence to the grave
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 23, 2015

dc4acc70d6bed7ecc87aeb3c94d13dc9.jpeg
AP

Deflategate has taken a lot out of Tom Brady’s reputation across most of America. But in New England, Brady is as beloved as ever.

In fact, the extent to which some in New England are rallying around Brady has reached new highs — or lows, depending on your perspective.

We now have the late Patricia Shong of Auburn, Massachusetts, who passed away on Monday at the age of 72. Shong’s obituary ran in the local paper and told the story of her life, her family, her career and her favorite activities. And then it included a line about Shong’s continuing support of Brady.

“She would also like us to set the record straight for her: Brady is innocent!!” the obituary says.

That’s a popular sentiment in New England. But this is the first time we’ve heard it expressed from beyond the grave.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/24/memorial-day-nfl-veterans-tom-brady-deflategate/2/

It has now been 19 days since the Wells Report was released, and 14 since Brady was suspended four games. We’ve all heard lots of people declare Brady’s innocence: Former and current teammates, fans (even one from beyond the grave) and of course Brett Favre. But you know who we haven’t heard from? Tom Brady. Not one interview, statement or smoke signal. Look, I realize he had the press conference after the AFC title game, and that he’s saving everything for an appeal.

But too much has transpired and Brady has been accused of cheating. He has to come out with at least some sort of statement, even if it’s benign, and deny the charges. I don’t know how so many Patriots fans can lose their minds over the suspension of a football player when said football player hasn’t even uttered the words, “I am innocent of these charges and look forward to my appeal.”

• The word in league circles is the NFLPA thinks Brady is the perfect player and this is the perfect flimsy case to go big-game hunting on commissioner discipline. I guess the union is hoping to get to the point in federal court (after Goodell refuses to recuse himself as arbitrator) that Goodell is battered enough that he agrees to cut a deal out of the mess by ceding final authority on off-field and on-field discipline. Good luck with that. If anything, Goodell is as stubborn and hardheaded as a Wishbone dive back.

• Of course, that strategy relies on Brady going the distance with this. Team Brady has gone into hiding since the suspension was handed down, but the word around the Patriots is that Brady is angry and wants to clear his name, no matter what. Remember though, Kraft was in the same spot and stood down. It is a different scenario (Kraft really had no recourse beyond suing the NFL and the 31 other owners in a case he would likely lose), but Kraft and Brady are usually of similar mindset on this kind of stuff.

Brady agreed to be a named plaintiff in the lockout antitrust legislation, but he never seemed to have his heart in it. He was certainly far from vocal about it, and he wasn’t very happy that, because of alphabetical order, his name was the only one listed when it came to Brady, et al v. NFL.

• Also keep in mind that Brady has never been the darling of the NFLPA due to his refusal to take top dollar, despite being the best quarterback of his generation. Right now, according to Spotrac, the Patriots are due to rank 16th, 15th and 20th the next three years in percentage of cap spent on quarterbacks thanks to Brady’s team-friendly contract. That is not an accident. After losing the 2012 AFC Championship Game to the Ravens, Kraft told Brady on a shared flight to California that if he wanted get paid what he’s worth in a year or two, it probably wasn’t going to be tenable for the team.

The Patriots did not want to pay 18 percent of their cap to a quarterback (they were at the time), even one as great as Brady. Kraft told Brady that he was basically going to have to play at half price, which he will be starting this year through the end of the contract in ’17, to help the team give him the supporting cast to win championships and enhance his legacy. Brady thought about it, and agreed. The extension was announced in late Feb. 2013. Also keep in mind that, Brady has never had the most guaranteed money in his contracts, also to help the team out.

• Considering Brady’s willingness to toe the company line in terms of the lockout and his contracts, will he really see the NFLPA’s litigation strategy through to the end? What happens if, after Goodell cuts Brady’s suspension by a game or two, Kraft and Brady have another powwow and the owner he greatly respects says, “Tom, like the team, there’s a way out of this where you can still insist on your innocence and you can get back to your team, teammates and the game on the field after one or two games. I think it’d be wise if you dropped the lawsuit, put the distraction behind you and do what you do best: win football games on the field. Take it out on the other teams, and let’s go win that fifth Super Bowl that will leave you alone at the top over Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw.”

With training camp approaching and Brady in full football mode (he’s seldom not), will Brady continue to be involved in litigation strategy? Maybe, but if you polled those who know Brady, most would bet on him doing what he has always done: putting his teammates first and getting back to a total football mindset as soon as possible.

• And don’t discount Brady’s competitive streak when it comes to one other thing: his job. He knows how he got his job (taking over for an injured Drew Bledsoe), and Brady knows someone else can take it the same way.

If Brady continues his fight, a court decision in a conservative court goes the wrong way and he misses four games at some point while younger and cheaper backup Jimmy Garoppolo plays winning football, Brady knows he could be out of a job down the line (although the contract certainly helps). It’s going to take a lot of reflection before Brady, who doesn’t even like giving up practice reps, allows someone else to take the keys of his team.

I think here are a few more lingering thoughts on Deflategate:

a. The NFL should have turned Ted Wells loose to figure out the initial leak to WTHR.com columnist Bob Kravitz. Of course I don’t like investigations into reporters’ sources, but we now know why confidentiality is a key part of the NFL’s “Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of Competitive Rules.” This whole saga got out of control because someone violated the very clear rule:

“Confidentiality must be maintained when conducting an investigation and when reporting information to the League office. Clubs are required to take appropriate steps to ensure that information concerning actual or suspected violations is reported and remains strictly confidential, and that no inadvertent or intentional disclosures are made to unauthorized persons. The effectiveness of this policy rests largely on adherence to maintaining the confidentiality of information; therefore, any unauthorized disclosures will be thoroughly investigated and will result in disciplinary action where appropriate.”

Has the leak been investigated? Who was responsible, and what was the punishment? Where’s that transparency you like to talk about, Goodell, but never actually follow through with unless it suits you? Tom Brady and the Patriots have been vilified because someone breached NFL protocol. They deserve the same treatment.

b. I know Peter has been pretty vocal about how the Patriots’ footballs barely fall out of the ideal gas law range, depending on which gauge the ref used. I look at it differently. Toss out the highest and lowest readings on both the Patriots’ and Colts’ footballs. The Patriots’ nine footballs lost an average of 11.2 percent and 8.3 percent of their initial PSI according to the two readings done. Colts’ two balls: 2.9 and 5.2 percent. It’s not a great sample size, obviously, but to me it’s a common sense way to say the science is a toss-up, leaving the texts and lack of cooperation, which I absolutely believe should be viewed in the negative column.

c. Patriots supporters have and will poke holes in the Wells Report for their side. Someone can easily do it for the other side. If the Patriots did do something to the footballs for the AFC Championship Game, it wasn’t their first rodeo. Why didn’t Wells interview each referee and equipment manager from every Patriots game from last season? There’s a rumor in NFL circles that something went on with the Patriots’ game at Green Bay, and the league office knows that. Yet Wells did not interview referee Ed Hochuli, nor Packers equipment manager Red Batty. Why not?

The investigation was incomplete. If there was a pattern, it could have enhanced the NFL’s case. If there was not a pattern, it also would have put the one-game allegations against the Patriots into a different context as well. Wells probably didn’t go there because he didn’t whether it would help or hurt his case, and he didn’t want to take that chance.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
If the Patriots did do something to the footballs for the AFC Championship Game, it wasn’t their first rodeo. Why didn’t Wells interview each referee and equipment manager from every Patriots game from last season? There’s a rumor in NFL circles that something went on with the Patriots’ game at Green Bay, and the league office knows that. Yet Wells did not interview referee Ed Hochuli, nor Packers equipment manager Red Batty. Why not?

And indeed officials for the last several years, not just the Packer game or all of last season. This, and other chicanery, has been happening a long time...of that I have little doubt. This is my main problem with all of this bs...beyond bellycheat getting a pass too.

Numerous officials were either inept or complicit over quite some time. Of course that little factoid will be ignored and buried as best as possible.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
In this quote, Peter King (PK) opens the door to Brady's (TB) next move. Are PK & TB working together on PR? I say they are. But that's just a hunch from a middle-aged man who rarely believes the front-story...
But too much has transpired and Brady has been accused of cheating. He has to come out with at least some sort of statement, even if it’s benign, and deny the charges. I don’t know how so many Patriots fans can lose their minds over the suspension of a football player when said football player hasn’t even uttered the words, “I am innocent of these charges and look forward to my appeal.”
PK leaving TB an out, an excuse for not pursuing the case to it's ultimately conclusion....
• Considering Brady’s willingness to toe the company line in terms of the lockout and his contracts, will he really see the NFLPA’s litigation strategy through to the end? What happens if, after Goodell cuts Brady’s suspension by a game or two, Kraft and Brady have another powwow and the owner he greatly respects says, “Tom, like the team, there’s a way out of this where you can still insist on your innocence and you can get back to your team, teammates and the game on the field after one or two games. I think it’d be wise if you dropped the lawsuit, put the distraction behind you and do what you do best: win football games on the field. Take it out on the other teams, and let’s go win that fifth Super Bowl that will leave you alone at the top over Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw.
And here's PK further explaining why TB may not take this case to the end. It's all about developing a plausible story. One that has nothing to do with TB's innocense or guilt - it's all just because it there is too much to lose elsewhere. Okay, believe it if you will, but I don't.
If Brady continues his fight, a court decision in a conservative court goes the wrong way and he misses four games at some point while younger and cheaper backup Jimmy Garoppolo plays winning football, Brady knows he could be out of a job down the line (although the contract certainly helps). It’s going to take a lot of reflection before Brady, who doesn’t even like giving up practice reps, allows someone else to take the keys of his team.
PK offers a veiled threat against those that leaked info. Perhaps these people will be exposed if the case goes to trial. Hence, so no one wants this case to continue. I really wonder who PK is threatening here?
a. The NFL should have turned Ted Wells loose to figure out the initial leak to WTHR.com columnist Bob Kravitz. Of course I don’t like investigations into reporters’ sources, but we now know why confidentiality is a key part of the NFL’s “Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of Competitive Rules.”
So, finally, PK asks some really relevant questions about the breadth and scope of this scandal. Who knew, and how for how long has this been going on? Really great stuff here... finally.
c. Patriots supporters have and will poke holes in the Wells Report for their side. Someone can easily do it for the other side. If the Patriots did do something to the footballs for the AFC Championship Game, it wasn’t their first rodeo. Why didn’t Wells interview each referee and equipment manager from every Patriots game from last season? There’s a rumor in NFL circles that something went on with the Patriots’ game at Green Bay, and the league office knows that. Yet Wells did not interview referee Ed Hochuli, nor Packers equipment manager Red Batty. Why not?
But then PK bursts his own bubble and deflates those wondering about the scope of the scandal. If this has really been going on so long, PK wonders outloud why Wells didn't pursue earlier reports. PK thinks perhaps there was no evidence to pursue these earlier cases. Again, PK trying to poke holes in the strength of the report, and deflate any questions by people who think this has been going on for a long time. Looks like PK is blocing for the NFL on this one.
The investigation was incomplete. If there was a pattern, it could have enhanced the NFL’s case. If there was not a pattern, it also would have put the one-game allegations against the Patriots into a different context as well. Wells probably didn’t go there because he didn’t whether it would help or hurt his case, and he didn’t want to take that chance.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
With the proven transgressions, the allegations over the years, the suspicions, you gotta think any Patriots success has to come with a grain of salt. Heck, allegations go all the back to superbowl 36 when they may have taped the Rams walkthrough. Either they had the best game plan ever or they knew what plays the Rams were going to run beforehand. Think about it, if they were cheating since way back then, the first 3 superbowls they won were by a FG in each game. Was their cheating the difference in 3 point games?

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...akes-belief-in-bradys-innocence-to-the-grave/

Pats fan takes belief in Brady’s innocence to the grave
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 23, 2015

dc4acc70d6bed7ecc87aeb3c94d13dc9.jpeg
AP

Deflategate has taken a lot out of Tom Brady’s reputation across most of America. But in New England, Brady is as beloved as ever.

In fact, the extent to which some in New England are rallying around Brady has reached new highs — or lows, depending on your perspective.

We now have the late Patricia Shong of Auburn, Massachusetts, who passed away on Monday at the age of 72. Shong’s obituary ran in the local paper and told the story of her life, her family, her career and her favorite activities. And then it included a line about Shong’s continuing support of Brady.

“She would also like us to set the record straight for her: Brady is innocent!!” the obituary says.

That’s a popular sentiment in New England. But this is the first time we’ve heard it expressed from beyond the grave.

That is just beyond delusional and pathetic. I don't mean to speak ill of the dead but damn that's just sad.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Just saw on the local news that some Patriots fans organized a "Free Tom Brady" rally. A couple was interviewed that actually postponed their honeymoon to attend the rally. The devotion to Brady up here in the northeast is utterly incomprehensible to me. One guy compared him to God! :eek:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Just saw on the local news that some Patriots fans organized a "Free Tom Brady" rally. A couple was interviewed that actually postponed their honeymoon to attend the rally. The devotion to Brady up here in the northeast is utterly incomprehensible to me. One guy compared him to God! :eek:
I saw that too. Just laughed.

But some of the signs were pretty cleaver. Best one I saw said....

gty_474605664_73279742.jpg

Gotta hand it to them, this was pretty cleaver :)