Todd Gurley/200 carries: will he and should he?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Will/Should Gurley have 200 carries as a rookie?

• He will and he should.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • He will but he shouldn't.

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • He won't but he should.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • He won't and he shouldn't.

Votes: 40 52.6%

• Total voters

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
As soon as the doctor says he's good to go, ride that horse until he won't ride anymore. It's not like he's getting any younger ir cheaper

RamzFanz

Damnit
After the bye, he will have 11 months of recovery. He is well beyond healed at that point. That leaves 200 carries for 11 games or 18 carries a game.

"Doctors at the Richmond Bone and Joint Clinic in Sugarland, Texas, found in 2010 that 31 of 49 (63%) of NFL players studied returned to play in the league an average of 10.8 months after surgery."

Yes. He will and should. There is no reason why not. Based on averages for recovery, NOT exceptional recovery, and Fisher, he will, IMHO.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I still think an ACL injury in November is really pushing it too hard to play less than 12 months post surgery, but the doctors and coaches and Gurley will make that call.

There is no evidence that holding him out longer than 9 months has any affect. His ACL is already fully healed. The issue is rebuilding muscles, retraining muscles, and building his confidence so he doesn't favor that knee.

The newer ACL treatments are a miracle for athletes.

This was before the draft:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...gias-todd-gurley-shows-off-speed-on-treadmill

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I have been reading lots on tendon tears and repairs. General reports are that it takes 1 year. They say scat tissues grows in and tendon grows through the scar tissue. The dr's state it is highly unlikely to tear in that spot again as it much stronger with the scar tissue. Makes you wonder what the seal is with Sam and Jake. Assuming of corse that acl is similar to Rotor cuff. Tendon is tendon right?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Gurley is healthy, yes...he should. And I think he will.

This is how I want it to go:
Gurley- 150
Mason- 150
Cunningham- 80
Austin- 50

We should have 400 carries this year.

If this team runs the ball only 400 times, we've got a problem.

Because it's clear Fisher and co. want to go run heavy this year. Which means if we're having to throw it a lot, we're losing.

400 carries is next to nothing considering there are typically around 950 to 1050 offensive plays per team in a year.

I think, if Gurley is healthy, we'll be seeing 460 to 500 rushes if we're not falling behind. I think they'll likely hover around 52% pass and 48% run.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
As soon as the doctor says he's good to go, ride that horse until he won't ride anymore. It's not like he's getting any younger ir cheaper

Incorrect. That's a horse you plan on using for at least a decade. Treat it that way. Brush it's hair, feed it corn, put little ribbons in its mane if that what it wants.

We just used the #10 overall on that horse - we should be picking up his turds with a solid gold pooper scooper.

RamzFanz

Damnit
You know what I think a lot of people are missing in this? If you are going to have an ACL tear, have Gurley's.

Adrian Peterson tore BOTH his ACL and MCL which is common, Gurley did not.

"One team's doctor said Gurley's relatively simple surgery -- there was no other damage to his knee other than the ACL -- leave expectations that the Georgia running back would be able to "fully play the game" nine months after the surgery, which would project him as being ready for a team's preseason. This team doctor said the "surgery is almost always a slam dunk" and stability, range of motion and quad strength are early predictors for success."

His surgeon, Dr. James Andrews, is the best. His tear was the easiest to deal with. He did the live tissue replacement which has, by far, the best success. His rehab is going very very well.

"Gurley's quad muscle is way ahead of what you would expect even at this stage and that's vital to a good recovery, as you know," said Andrews. "The Georgia trainer, Ron Courson, did a great job the first six weeks post-surgery and then Todd came here (at he Andrews Institute in Pensacola, FL) and I was very happy before he left for Indianapolis He's been running on a treadmill, running underwater, he's never had any swelling and these teams will get to see just how much more progress he will continue to make before the draft (April 30-May 2)."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think the Rams will be cautious.

Not to mention, he's got to get down his responsibility with protection.

Between these two, I think he gets very few touches early.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I worry a bit about medical science really only basing their opinions on the 'top' muscles. Myself being someone who has torn my knee up (acl, lcl, pcl, hamstring tendon - all at once) I know it is a long process. I appreciate my rehab a lot but I still feel like it was pretty lax.

My biggest point is that I believe wearing barefoot shoes has helped strengthen my knee more than anything. Do I believe this is the end all be all? NO! But I did have deliberate thoughts about my childhood of being barefoot, and as that related to the development of my ligaments.

After my ramble. . . More than anything. GO TODD GURLEY. TRE MASON. AND THE OLINE

tempests

Hall of Fame
Hold him out until he's ready to go. And when he is ready, feed the beast.

Fisher has never been one to spare his RBs. Gurley will carry the rock a lot.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams will be cautious early, but by week 8 it's all Gurley all day.

Mason may be able to handle the load but once we get a good look at Gurley we won't want to see Mason very much again. I don't have a problem with Mason but after watching Gurley, Mason is going to look like a backup.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Incorrect. That's a horse you plan on using for at least a decade. Treat it that way. Brush it's hair, feed it corn, put little ribbons in its mane if that what it wants.

We just used the #10 overall on that horse - we should be picking up his turds with a solid gold pooper scooper.

That horse should be earning his draft status and spot like any other player on the team. I was born in the show me state, so he better show me.

jap

Legend
200 carries in a season? Why not 200 carries in a game? :ROFLMAO: I wanna see Richard Sherman jump on the Gurley Man's back in an effort to take him down only to end up getting a free ride to pay dirt.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I changed my vote from no and shouldn't to yes and should.

The numbers just favor yes. He'll have plenty of time and even if he waits to get playing time until after the bye like Mason did due to picking up Pass Pro, he'll pick up plays in a big way if he runs as we know he can.

That puts both 200 carries and 1000 yards both within easy reach.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think the Rams will be cautious early, but by week 8 it's all Gurley all day.

Mason may be able to handle the load but once we get a good look at Gurley we won't want to see Mason very much again. I don't have a problem with Mason but after watching Gurley, Mason is going to look like a backup.

Mason's far too talented to let him languish on the bench all year. I trust him more than all of our wideouts (Britt aside) at the moment. Why not use a dual-back set with Gurley and Mason? There's so many ways we can use a set like that.

I understand that people want to see Gurley, but Mason has insane talent as well.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Mason's far too talented to let him languish on the bench all year. I trust him more than all of our wideouts (Britt aside) at the moment. Why not use a dual-back set with Gurley and Mason? There's so many ways we can use a set like that.

I understand that people want to see Gurley, but Mason has insane talent as well.

I like Mason and would of been comfortable with him as our RB and still am comfortable with him as our RB. But I would not call him an insane talent. I don't think he is even a top 10 back at his best. He wouldn't be far out of the top 10 IMO but my overall point is he is upgradeable. Gurley based on what I have seen could and should be a top 5 back year in and year out with the upside to be the best.

nighttrain

Legend
You know what I think a lot of people are missing in this? If you are going to have an ACL tear, have Gurley's.

Adrian Peterson tore BOTH his ACL and MCL which is common, Gurley did not.

"One team's doctor said Gurley's relatively simple surgery -- there was no other damage to his knee other than the ACL -- leave expectations that the Georgia running back would be able to "fully play the game" nine months after the surgery, which would project him as being ready for a team's preseason. This team doctor said the "surgery is almost always a slam dunk" and stability, range of motion and quad strength are early predictors for success."

His surgeon, Dr. James Andrews, is the best. His tear was the easiest to deal with. He did the live tissue replacement which has, by far, the best success. His rehab is going very very well.

"Gurley's quad muscle is way ahead of what you would expect even at this stage and that's vital to a good recovery, as you know," said Andrews. "The Georgia trainer, Ron Courson, did a great job the first six weeks post-surgery and then Todd came here (at he Andrews Institute in Pensacola, FL) and I was very happy before he left for Indianapolis He's been running on a treadmill, running underwater, he's never had any swelling and these teams will get to see just how much more progress he will continue to make before the draft (April 30-May 2)."
Exactly what I read concerning this issue and Gurley
Go TG
train