Dolphins activate T.J. McDonald after eight-game suspension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Since the Free Agency feeding frenzy started, I don't recall hearing his name mentioned on any team's radar.

Is the reckless driving charge turning teams off?

Is Wade Phillips content to look elsewhere?

Have the Rams even expressed lukewarm interest in retaining him?

This inquiring mind wants to know....anyone?!?

A55VA6

Legend
From what I know, he hasn't. Possible suspension upcoming, and not really a fit with Rams. Rams need a true FS and TJ is not that.

I'm sure after a while he'll find a home. He's still a pretty good player.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would like to see him return at an affordable cost. He is one of those guys who might benefit greatly from movement to a simpler approach in the secondary vs Williams' system. A one year prove it deal would probably be wise and then let Wade and crew coach him up and see what they have.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How much Ram cap space is left to be utilized on a player who was having personal issues, missed early camp & then was charged with DUI. Now facing suspension & would play behind a better SS in Mo Alexander?

Rams do have about 4 young strong safeties signed now. I would be thinking more in the direction of another pass rusher @ OLB'er over a back up SS. On the flip side I am sure that Wade would love to have TJ in his defense in 2017 even with him subject to legal and NFL discipline.

I could not find any visits by TJ to any NFL teams but did find this article:
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...owboys-top-25-free-agents-dallas-go-offseason

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would like to see him return at an affordable cost. He is one of those guys who might benefit greatly from movement to a simpler approach in the secondary vs Williams' system. A one year prove it deal would probably be wise and then let Wade and crew coach him up and see what they have.
I Like TJ, and I too would like to see what Wade can do with the Kid. I think he's got talent and Heart!! JMHO!

Rocko

UDFA
I'm hoping for a Pre-Draft Trade of Tru that will free up a lot of Cap $$$$!!(y):D

Throw in Barron and our 6th round #190 pick to Cleveland, and we get Cleveland's 2nd round #33, third round #65, and the rights to Josh Gordon. Done deal.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Throw in Barron and our 6th round #190 pick to Cleveland, and we get Cleveland's 2nd round #33, third round #65, and the rights to Josh Gordon. Done deal.

I'll pass. Take out our 6th round pick, then it's a done deal.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm sure the suspension has dropped him down to low tier signing at some point in free agency. But I'm not all that interested with bringing him back.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
As in no 6th round pick, but we still get Gordon, or we can do without Gordon also.

I feel Barron on his own is worth a third round pick plus Gordon. Nobody knows if Gordon will ever play again, and if he does, how long before a permanent suspension. Gregg Williams loves Mark for his defense. I find that portion of the deal fair. I guess it comes down to, whether or not Tru is worth the 2nd round pick. I think he is.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I Like TJ and the way he plays the game. He'll knock the snot out of you if he gets the chance. Rams have been sorely lacking in hard hitting, "bringing the wood" type players. I'm sure Phillips can would love to have TJ play for him.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
No way Baron will ever net us Cle 33rd pick. That pick has so much value to the teams that has it!
You get the best player who slipped out of the 1st Rd.
Baron only fits in a few Def systems so his value is extremely limited IMHO.
Why would a team in a major rebuild trade FOR a player w/ his contract & age?
Too juicy of a pick for a rebuild in progress to trade unless there draft board went "perfect" and would be willing to slide down a "few" picks

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://chi.247sports.com/Bolt/Will-Bears-pursue-free-agent-safety-TJ-McDonald-51895464

Will Bears pursue free-agent safety T.J. McDonald?
A young, hard-hitting safety in T.J. McDonald is available if the Chicago Bears want to continue to upgrade their secondary.
Matt Eurich

T.J. McDonald is the best safety available on the free-agent market, so should the Chicago Bears be interested?

The team did add Quintin Demps in free agency following a season in which he recorded a career-high six interceptions, but the Bears still need a lot of help at the position.

McDonald is coming off a season in which he recorded 64 tackles, one sack, six pass deflections and a career-high two interceptions in his fourth season with the now Los Angeles Rams. Despite a strong season, the former USC standout has not found much of a market this offseason.

One reason for that could be that he pleaded guilty to reckless driving involving drugs or alcohol following his arrest last May after he crashed into a parked car.

McDonald was sentenced to three years of probation and NBC Sports' Josh Alper wrote the young safety will likely have to serve a two-game suspension in 2017.

If the Bears can look past his prior transgressions, McDonald would immediately help upgrade the team's secondary and offer up Chicago even more options in the draft.

A third-round pick of the Rams in 2013, the former All-American made 10 starts in his rookie season and ended the year with 53 tackles, one sack, four pass deflections and one interception. The following year he started all 16 games and notched a career high in tackles (105) and sacks (2). He also batted down six passes and recorded one interception.

McDonald saw action in just 11 games in 2015 before he was placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury. He finished the year with 63 tackles, one sack and one forced fumble.

The young safety is great up in the box against the run and has also proven to be effective as a blitzer. Coverage is not his strongest suit, but he was targeted 43 times in the passing game last year and allowed 25 receptions for 229 yards with two touchdowns, according to Pro Football Focus.

After signing Demps, the need at safety for the Bears is not as pressing as it once was, but considering the poor play of the position last season, McDonald is at least worth taking a look at some point this offseason for Chicago.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I Like TJ and the way he plays the game. He'll knock the snot out of you if he gets the chance. Rams have been sorely lacking in hard hitting, "bringing the wood" type players. I'm sure Phillips can would love to have TJ play for him.

Mo is no slouch at "bringing the wood", bubba.

And they say it's a Brian Randolph trademark, too.

TJM doesn't have a Ram trademark on hard hits, by any means.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would be extremely cautious on going with any of the young guys playing that position. If you can resign McDonald I feel like you do that. This situation is very similar to what happened with JJ depending on guys because they looked good in limited action. The one thing we need is for this defense to not take a step back but with so many new pieces not to mention a new scheme they need to remain strong. So if you can resign him to a team friendly deal you do it.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Its been fun watching Mo Alexander develop. I remember all the skepticism using a 4th rd pick for a player that was kicked off his team and was a jainitor at the Ed Jones Dome. He's gotten better each and every year and is now a starter. And I bet he gets even better. I think he;s even better than TJ in coverage now.

Really looking forward to seeing Randolf play. I like his college highlights.

Greg Williams pounded the table and went beserk yelling at Rams braintrust to draft Mo.