Time to Trade Gurley ala Trent Richardson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The point is, it's been proved that you don't need a premiere back to win games. Adrian Peterson is probably the best RB ever and has never been to a super bowl.

Jim Brown would like to have a word with you

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't remember Trent Richardson winning the OROY, if we are comparing the two....

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Way too early to say that. He's a generational talent at RB, not so easy to just replace those. Let's not panic yet. He's struggled but it's not all him.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I think Gurley is/was given superstar treatment prematurely.
In camp and pre-season he was coddled too much. It set him back, imo. He needs to stay and put in the work with a better scheme and better O-line before we jettison him. Sheesh.
That being said, I don't get some of his decisions on some of his runs this year. He has a hole and he plows right into a defender? wth is the guy thinking?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Gurley is/was given superstar treatment prematurely.
In camp and pre-season he was coddled too much. It set him back, imo. He needs to stay and put in the work with a better scheme and better O-line before we jettison him. Sheesh.
That being said, I don't get some of his decisions on some of his runs this year. He has a hole and he plows right into a defender? wth is the guy thinking?

I'm sure Gurley has missed some holes. He's human. Every HB is going to make some mistakes. However, I think the whole Gurley making bad decisions claim is completely overblown. Unless you're watching the All-22, you can be very easily misled as to whether or not there was a running lane.

And I just don't believe that Gurley's handling is anywhere near the root of the problem. The offensive line is the root of the problem. Bad OLs combined with bad schemes have led to bad seasons for a number of great or elite HBs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In fact, I posted this on another board, but it's also applicable here. It's about how we can be easily misled when we judge the holes in retrospect:
"Now, here's what you will miss:
Gurley_NE_1.png

That's why Gurley didn't just run left. In fact, there are two players there. Rowe has outside contain and is positioned perfectly. McClellin also has set the edge and is positioned well. If you notice, both guys are positioned on the outside shoulder of the offensive player and facing the sidelines. This will allow both guys to shoot up-field and make the tackle if Gurley bounces it too quickly.

Gurley gave Robinson time to take care of McClellin by running into his blockers which allowed him to bounce it outside after stiff-arming Rowe. It seems odd to think about, but Gurley running into his blockers saved this play.

Here's a different angle. This angle will show you were the run was designed to go:
Gurley_NE_2.png

This run was designed to go between #61 Tim Barnes and #68 Jamon Brown. They also had Kendricks come from across the field behind the LOS to try and take out the back-side defender to allow for a cutback lane.

Problem here is that #61 Tim Barnes fails miserably to seal the DT. Him and Brown are both supposed to seal their guys and create a lane for Gurley to the second level. If Gurley gets that seam, as we can all see, this play goes a long way. Barnes gets pushed into the hole and turned. This allows the DT to shutdown the primary running lane and put his body in the cutback lane. Additionally, #69 Cody Wichmann trips over Rob Havenstein (OL on the ground) and fails to block the Patriots LB coming to close the cutback lane.

That puts Gurley in an impossible situation. His primary running lane is closed. His cutback lane is blocked, and the Patriots have set the edge properly to keep him from bouncing. Gurley tries to push his way through between Barnes and Brown. But he cannot. However, doing that allows Robinson to push McClellin out of the play which gives Gurley a 1-on-1 with Rowe outside. He then bounces it.

Basically, you were screaming at Gurley on a play where he made something out of pretty much nothing.

I'll give another example as to how what people think they see often isn't correct:
Gurley_NE_4.png

Gurley_NE_5.png

On this play, people will notice right away from the first picture that Gurley has two choices. He can run right or left. There are two holes initially opened. Gurley chooses to run left and picks up 9 yards after getting skinny through the hole that started to close quite quickly.

Of course, people will look at this play retrospectively and say, "Gurley has bad vision. Look at that gigantic cutback lane on the back-side of the play. He should have chosen to run there."

However, these people show that they misunderstand two key things:
1. LB pursuit angles are often dictated by the path the HB takes in the back-field; and
2. How the blocking scheme is designed on this specific play.

On this play, Jamon Brown is helping with the double team initially and then peels off to block #54 Dont'a Hightower. This is important to know because Hightower is the key to success on this play. If Brown can't block, this play is stuffed for a 3 or 4-yard gain. Because Brown can block him, this play goes for a 9-yard gain.

The question now becomes: What allowed Brown to make the block? The answer is Todd Gurley's vision and patience. Gurley stays centered behind the LOS as long as possible before choosing his path. This holds Hightower in the middle of the field. When Gurley chooses his path, he presses the LOS and hits the hole on the left-side. This is important because it gives Brown an angle to reach Hightower on the second level. That is what allows him to block Hightower.

If Gurley had hit the hole on the right-side, Brown wouldn't have had an angle to reach Hightower at the second level. That would have allowed Hightower and Sheard to fill the hole and stop the play for a short gain."

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, come to think of it, Jerome Bettis was OROY, then had a disappointing 2nd year and got traded away. How'd that work out again?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd take a 1st and a 3rd or a 4th

Nothing less ... I love me some gurley but the talk about him being injured then announce it and shut the guy down he flat out isn't producing and we could be ruining him and his health ..... if he is playing injured then we should keep him (if we shut him down )

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hope that the Rams don't make another Jerome Bettis-esque mistake.

I really hope that they don't trade Gurley.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When's the last time a premiere RB led his team to the Super Bowl?

Marshawn Lynch ring a bell?
Exactly....and quite a few others..Ball from Denver...Pats have a championship running game too. Frisco had Gore...

I understand what you're saying but Marshawn had no part in winning that Super Bowl.
He got them there...Don't the games in the season count?

Lynch might not have won a title for the Hawks, but he was a huge reason they got there. AP brought the Vikings to the playoffs despite a limited qb.
He could have if Russell had given him the ball...

Upgrade Rg and Center and u will see Gurley that we seen last year
I'm starting to look at this...I really think the center is the key. But I'd like Wichman & Brown to put in some serious work this offseason...get stronger and more powerful in their lower bodies. I'm guessing Saffold is gone. And lets see what Havenstein & Robinson can do with new/better coaching. But just looking at games, Havenstein looks too slow and too weak to be a good RT. Again, lets give him a good offseason, healthy, and see where he's at in 2017.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
god I can't wait til Fisher gets canned and this team starts winning again

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
Anyone who wants to get rid of Gurly, even for a first round pick is a idiot. Watch the Cowgirls and a real offensive line. You know, like the Rams always had in the 70s and 80s. Gurly would be busting huge runs behind Zeke,s O line. Its nice to see how how a well coached, talented O line can dominate the game.
Almost every draft guru said they thought Gurly was more talented than Elliot as a running back. Gurly has more sprinter speed in him. Guy just needs some holes. I know, he has run into a few tackles this year.
But it has to get to him. We have all seen him hit before he even gets to the line this year. Dickerson is right on the money when he criticizes the Rams O line play.
But he had a O line of Panky, Hill, Smith, Harrah and Jackie F,ing Slayter. The most important unit on a football team is the O line, not the D line. We have a great D line, and what has it gotten us ? A top O line makes average RBs look good. And great ones like Gurly look like All Pros. They give average QBs time to look better than they are. And young QBs with tons of potential the confidence to get their job done. They let the defense time to just sit, rest and get ready to tear it up when they get in there.
Even the Fearsome Foursome could not get it done. The great Rams D line of the 70s, Youngblood, Brooks, Fanning, Dryer could not do it by themselves.
What did the Rams do with all the picks from the Dickerson trade. Drafted the likes of Stams, Kelm, Hawkins, Strickland ect.
So NO. Do not trade Gurly.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Gurley had...what...5 strong games in his rookie year? Not sure I would trade him, but I wouldn't call anyone who would trade him for a first round pick an "idiot" either. He has been a below average RB this season. Period.

Ric Flair

Rookie
Name
Spanky
Just curious, you going to address my point or nah?

I'll be happy to tell you about logic again:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FaulMa00/gamelog/1996/
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzLa00/gamelog/2012/
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MossRa00/gamelog/2006/
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BettJe00/gamelog/1994/
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PaytWa00/gamelog/1975/

If players like Marshall Faulk, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Jerome Bettis, and Walter Payton can't overcome "obstacles," how realistic is it to expect Gurley to do it?

Or wait, are you now saying that Faulk, Fitzgerald, Moss, Bettis, and Payton weren't elite players? I just want to make sure we're on the same page.
ric-flair-big-show-punch.gif

Interesting you would try and compare Marshall Faulk, the best running back I've seen in my lifetime, to Gurley. Remember who Faulks Qb was those years in Indy? A guy named Payton Manning. And no, Indy's offense was not based on the power run game which the Rams have said time after time theirs is. The Rams whole offensive scheme is based off of Gurley.

Do you even football, bro?

Woo!

IMG_2475.GIF

Lesson

Oh, really?
Interesting you would try and compare Marshall Faulk, the best running back I've seen in my lifetime, to Gurley. Remember who Faulks Qb was those years in Indy? A guy named Payton Manning. And no, Indy's offense was not based on the power run game which the Rams have said time after time theirs is. The Rams whole offensive scheme is based off of Gurley.

Woo!

View attachment 18004

Manning played one season with Faulk in Indy. 1998-Manning's rookie year and Faulk's last season there.

Harbaugh was the QB for the majority of Faulk's tenure there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Woo!

View attachment 18004

I can certainly appreciate the back and forth here, but let's keep it civil between each other while you debate.