Time to Trade Gurley ala Trent Richardson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Trent Richardson had a solid rookie year, but was nowhere on the level of Gurley's rookie year. With the success rate of high offensive draft picks with the Rams I think they'd be much better off improving things around Gurley than getting another pick. Gurley is special. He's had a bad year. He can rebound and be special again. Improve the line and coaching and passing attack. He'll be fine.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I do agree on not trading Gurley. And having a guy like him helps no matter what. But if Goff becomes the guy everyone thinks he's going to be, he won't need Gurley.
Every QB needs weapons. If he doesn't need Gurley it is because he has other weapons. Not seeing a boatload that are demonstrating the whole weapon thing. Lots of ok players on offense but not a lot to call weapons just yet. Could be scheme - but then that could be the problem with Gurley too. I'd hate to take an offense that is this bad and think that by getting rid of someone like Gurley, we are improving it.

FRO

Legend
Even elite QBs need good players around them.

Signed
Andrew Luck
Cam Newton

Ric Flair

Rookie
Name
Spanky
I'll just say this about Gurly. I can count on one hand the amount of good, not great, runs he's had this year. I don't care how bad your O-line is. If you're an elite running back, you overcome obstacles.

Wooooooo

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
198 carries
587 yards
3.0 yards per carry
7 rushing TDs

Personally, I think we need to get rid of him. I'm down to trade him.

OH WAIT...no, sorry, that's a HB who actually was traded a few years later. That HB was traded to the St. Louis Rams. He went on to win a NFL MVP award and put together arguably the greatest 3-year stretch by a HB in NFL history.

That's correct, guys. Those numbers above are from Marshall Faulk's third season in the NFL with the Colts.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FaulMa00/gamelog/1996/

Let's talk about another Rams HB:
319 carries
1025 yards
3.2 yards per carry
3 rushing TDs

This former Rams HB was in his second year in the NFL (just like Gurley). This HB was also the 10th overall pick in the draft, just like Gurley. The Rams traded this HB to the Pittsburgh Steelers. This HB went on to have SIX CONSECUTIVE 1000 yard rushing seasons with the Steelers and was elected to the Hall of Fame. I'm sure you all know who this HB was...JEROME BETTIS.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BettJe00/gamelog/1994/

One other thing worth mentioning: Benny Cunningham only has 21 carries. He has two 20+ yard rushes this year. Without those runs, Benny's numbers aren't any different than Gurley's. Without those runs, Benny has 19 carries for 55 yards (2.9 yards per carry).

I actually like Benny. I think he could start on some teams. But trading Gurley at this point would be silly.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll just say this about Gurly. I can count on one hand the amount of good, not great, runs he's had this year. I don't care how bad your O-line is. If you're an elite running back, you overcome obstacles.

Wooooooo

I've heard this logic stated many times. It's faulty and inaccurate. When players like Marshall Faulk, Jerome Bettis, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, and Walter Payton can't overcome "obstacles," how is it realistic to expect Gurley to do it?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Great players trump positional concerns. Gurley has a chance to be a Hall of Fame type player, so no, you don't trade him.

Every time this comes up I mention Jerome Bettis because the similarities are freakin me out. It's the blocking for the love of MFing God.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Benny is out this week.

So we'll see gurley on the field on 3rd downs again finally. Hate him off the field on 3rd downs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great players trump positional concerns. Gurley has a chance to be a Hall of Fame type player, so no, you don't trade him.

Every time this comes up I mention Jerome Bettis because the similarities are freakin me out. It's the blocking for the love of MFing God.

It is quite striking. Similarities:
1. Both drafted in the first round with the 10th overall pick by the Rams.
2. Both were named Offensive Rookie of the Year.
3. Both saw their YPC drop from nearly 5 yards per carry as a rookie to 3.2 yards per carry in their second year.(Gurley's might rise, but that's where it is now)
4. Both were named to the Pro Bowl as rookies.
5. Both played for coaches whose offensive philosophy was ground and pound.

Let's just hope that we don't see a sixth similarity that both were traded by the Rams. Especially if the seventh similarity happens, both make the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
198 carries
587 yards
3.0 yards per carry
7 rushing TDs

Personally, I think we need to get rid of him. I'm down to trade him.

OH WAIT...no, sorry, that's a HB who actually was traded a few years later. That HB was traded to the St. Louis Rams. He went on to win a NFL MVP award and put together arguably the greatest 3-year stretch by a HB in NFL history.

That's correct, guys. Those numbers above are from Marshall Faulk's third season in the NFL with the Colts.

Let's talk about another Rams HB:
319 carries
1025 yards
3.2 yards per carry
3 rushing TDs

This former Rams HB was in his second year in the NFL (just like Gurley). This HB was also the 10th overall pick in the draft, just like Gurley. The Rams traded this HB to the Pittsburgh Steelers. This HB went on to have SIX CONSECUTIVE 1000 yard rushing seasons with the Steelers and was elected to the Hall of Fame. I'm sure you all know who this HB was...JEROME BETTIS.

One other thing worth mentioning: Benny Cunningham only has 21 carries. He has two 20+ yard rushes this year. Without those runs, Benny's numbers aren't any different than Gurley's. Without those runs, Benny has 19 carries for 55 yards (2.9 yards per carry).

I actually like Benny. I think he could start on some teams. But trading Gurley at this point would be silly.
Sorry but you can't just remove Benny's two big rushes like they didn't happen. Remove a few of Gurley's big rushes last year and he's got average numbers. I think Gurley's got one rush of over 20 yards (td v Miami) all year.

Rambo

UDFA
I think I know what Gurley's problem is. There's no competition. Last year he had to compete for the job against Mason. Now that he's the starter and he has job security he's not trying as hard. They need to bring Mason back and make it a two back attack again and have competition for who gets the most carries and who is number one. Either Mason or someone else.

I dont think the way Fisher acted in Hard Knocks helped either, saying nobody was to hit 30 etc.... That sent the wrong message.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think I know what Gurley's problem is. There's no competition. Last year he had to compete for the job against Mason. Now that he's the starter and he has job security he's not trying as hard.

I appreciate that thought, but man... I sure hope you're wrong. I don't think anyone does what he did (come back from ACL in <12mo) without the heart to compete like a lion.

I personally think we are overthinking Gurley. But I recognize the fact I'm just a guy with an opinion.

Ric Flair

Rookie
Name
Spanky
I've heard this logic stated many times. It's faulty and inaccurate. When players like Marshall Faulk, Jerome Bettis, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, and Walter Payton can't overcome "obstacles," how is it realistic to expect Gurley to do it?

Just curious? When was Gurley's last 100 yard game? Or what's his longest run of the season?

14 games played
157 att
458 yards
2.9 avg
3 TD's

Do those look familiar? Yeah, that was Trent Richardson's first year in Indy in 2013.

Tell us all about "Logic" again. (Snickering)

Wooooooooooo

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
april-fools-day.gif

todd-gurley.jpg

"Jared, people are doubting my game" "Todd, we are going to blow up this league together"

_____
SPT0612picGurley3.jpg

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I understand what you're saying but Marshawn had no part in winning that Super Bowl. Denver shot themselves in the foot repeatedly and never recovered.

The point is, it's been proved that you don't need a premiere back to win games. Adrian Peterson is probably the best RB ever and has never been to a super bowl.

I do agree on not trading Gurley. And having a guy like him helps no matter what. But if Goff becomes the guy everyone thinks he's going to be, he won't need Gurley.
Lynch might not have won a title for the Hawks, but he was a huge reason they got there. AP brought the Vikings to the playoffs despite a limited qb.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just curious? When was Gurley's last 100 yard game? Or what's his longest run of the season?

14 games played
157 att
458 yards
2.9 avg
3 TD's

Do those look familiar? Yeah, that was Trent Richardson's first year in Indy in 2013.

Tell us all about "Logic" again. (Snickering)

Wooooooooooo

Just curious, you going to address my point or nah?

I'll be happy to tell you about logic again:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzLa00/gamelog/2012/
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MossRa00/gamelog/2006/
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PaytWa00/gamelog/1975/

If players like Marshall Faulk, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Jerome Bettis, and Walter Payton can't overcome "obstacles," how realistic is it to expect Gurley to do it?

Or wait, are you now saying that Faulk, Fitzgerald, Moss, Bettis, and Payton weren't elite players? I just want to make sure we're on the same page.
ric-flair-big-show-punch.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry but you can't just remove Benny's two big rushes like they didn't happen. Remove a few of Gurley's big rushes last year and he's got average numbers. I think Gurley's got one rush of over 20 yards (td v Miami) all year.

Yea, you can when your point is that Benny isn't offering consistent success either and that his small sample size is misleading.